Dallas and Houston

When Dallas and Houston put forth bids for the U.S. nomination it seemed like New York's to lose, but Houston was by far the better candidate, and I live in the Dallas area.  The idea of a Texas-themed games is intriguing.

Before I go any further, let me point out that not everyone in Texas rides a horse and wears cowboy boots.

The best thing Dallas had going for it was the venues.  Until recently, the city had an aging infrastructure that included Reunion Arena, Arlington Stadium, and Ownby Stadium.  New venues include Lone Star Park, Ameriquest Field, American Airlines Center, and Gerald Ford Stadium along with a revitalized Fair Park.

Dallas had a number of factors going against it.

1.  The population of Dallas has declined to the point where it is now third in the state behind Houston and San Antonio.

2.  Lack of world exposure.  Dallas really hasn't hosted any major world events although it did host a number of games in the 1994 World Cup at the Cotton Bowl.  Dallas even has trouble getting big time conventions.  Dallas did host the NCAA Final Four in 1986, but that was before the NCAA moved the event to the larger domed stadiums.

3.  Transportation.  The Dallas-Fort Worth area is decades behind in transportation upgrades.  The region has ome of the worst traffic congestion in the nation.

Any further bid for the Games doesn't look good either.  I mentioned in another post aboiut Laura Miller, the mayor.  She's the equivalent of Chicago mayor Richard Daley.  When the Dallas Cowboys proposed a new stadium at Fair Park, Miller and the city gave only a half-hearted effort to take up the idea.  The result?  The Cowboys will now have their new stadium in Arlington.  When Miller was on the city council, she campaigned heavily against construction of the American Airlines Center.  She does not believe in public financing for sports upgrades.  

Fair Park is left with the againg Cotton Bowl.  The Cotton Bowl is an out-of-date eye sore.  Those who've been to it will know what I'm talking about.  Miller and the city have proposed renovation to the stadium.  Renovation?  That's the equivalent of putting a band-aid on a massive head wound.  The Cotton Bowl should be dynamited and leveled.  And the the Cowboys should've had their new stadium built in its place.

Houston, meanwhile is a world-class city.  They have outstanding facilities.  Reliant Stadium has hosted the Super Bowl and will host the 2011 Final Four.  I expect that Houston will bid again at some point.

Houston, meanwhile is a world-class city.  They have outstanding facilities.  Reliant Stadium has hosted the Super Bowl and will host the 2011 Final Four.  I expect that Houston will bid again at some point.

Houston also just built a trolley system downtown I believe, so part of their transportation problem has been addressed.  The Interstates around Houston however are terrible - but from what I hear, the TDT has recently instituted a new towing program for disabled cars which are supposed to clear the freeways of broken down vehicles within minutes.

They certainly did a good job hosting the Super Bowl.  My only fear, with the huge population of pickup trucks in Texas and as popular as high school football is that we might have a repeat of the Atlanta synchronized pickup/cheerleader show during an opening ceremonies  :P

My only fear, with the huge population of pickup trucks in Texas and as popular as high school football is that we might have a repeat of the Atlanta synchronized pickup/cheerleader show during an opening ceremonies  :P

Yeah, the How Y'all Doin'? segment! :P complete with chrome Chevrolet pickup trucks. I was almost mortified when I saw that in the Opening Cermonies on TV. Reminds me of the Visa commercial leading up to Atlanta 1996 with foriegners trying their best to mimic a Southern American accent with favorite sayings ("Y'all come back now, here" and "You're not just whistlin' Dixie") with supposedly hilarious results.  I know it's the South and wanted to put forth its Southern charm to the world but some sophistication should've been made.

I recall there were plans to make the Cotton Bowl into a domed stadium. Now with plans for the Cowboys to get out of Texas Stadium with a bigger and better facility with the hopes of Dallas hosting not only a Super Bowl but a Final Four getting materialization, Cotton Bowl may have seen better days. But I would not rule out a massive renovation.

Speaking of the US South, I do not think the IOC is keen to return to the South for another go round of the Summer Olympics after its experience with Atlanta. Especially not with bigger and far more renowned cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and LA in the mix now and in future years to rep the US.

Speaking of the US South, I do not think the IOC is keen to return to the South for another go round of the Summer Olympics after its experience with Atlanta. Especially not with bigger and far more renowned cities like New York, Chicago, San Francisco, and LA in the mix now and in future years to rep the US.

Thank you, Durban.  I know...why do we KEEP recycling these topix about can other southern U.S. cities host?  THe answer is a big NO!!!  Atlanta took care of that for the region in 1996.  Other regions, other countries need to take a stab at it.  And people, like Stryker -- were you also the Miami one?  Just because you guys live in some medium-sized city -- anywhere -- that doesn't mean that city has a chance in hell.  

I know you're only asking; but PLEASE read up on previous threads.  It's the same old recycled stuff.  NO!!   :wink:

The plan was to hold the Track and Field events in the Astrodome...Would the Ceremonies have been in the dome, too, or at Reliant?

The plan was to hold the Track and Field events in the Astrodome...Would the Ceremonies have been in the dome, too, or at Reliant?

No, the plan was to demolish the Astromdome making way for a new 85,000 seat athletics stadium that would host the ceremonies also.

Now that Reliant is completed a bigger stadium next to the already giant Reliant would look preety damn stupid. Not to mention that the stadium would have ot be largly down graded after the games to suit demand.

If a Houston Games went ahead, i could see Reliant being used in a very GeorgiaDome way.

I believe there is also a planned light rail line from Reliant to downtown Houston which is due for completion in 2010.

Athletics must take place in an open air stadium.  That means no domes.

Although Texas is in the Southern part of the United States, I wouldn't really classify it as "The South".  The regional cultures, icons and traditions are different - even if only subtle.  Dare I say that the South would be generalized by Colonel Sanders and Texas by JR Ewing.

But I think a Texas Olympics - while a possibility - is something that is far into the future.

Baron, have you even been to Texas?  If you have you'll know that many southerners in the U.S. don't even consider Texas a true part of the American south much less part of Dixieland.  Texas is one of only two U.S. states to have once been an independent nation.  Neither Dallas nor Houston are anything like Atlanta.  And if the USOC didn't want another southern city hosting, then why did Houston make the USOC initial shortlist?  No it wasn't going to beat out New York?  But I believe the Houston bid was stronger and more centralized than the regional San Francisco bid.

Someone mentioned doming the Cotton Bowl.  That project has been dead for years now.  It was a nice idea at the time but ultimately deemed too expensive.  No way Laura Miller will go for that.  I attended the annual Cotton Bowl game in 2004 and was simply amazed by how poor the facility has become.  Of the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Citrus Bowl, the Cotton Bowl is easily in the worst shape.

The one problem I had with the Houston bid was hosting track and field events in the Astrodome.  I think it would've been better to have them in Reliant Stadium, something about having the events outdoors.

They were going to demolish the Astrodome?  Don't know how well that might go over with some Houstonians.  And as for Houston being a medium-sized city, well, Houston is currently the fourth largest city in the U.S.  Some medium-sized city that is.

Baron, have you even been to Texas?  If you have you'll know that many southerners in the U.S. don't even consider Texas a true part of the American south much less part of Dixieland.  Texas is one of only two U.S. states to have once been an independent nation.  Neither Dallas nor Houston are anything like Atlanta.  And if the USOC didn't want another southern city hosting, then why did Houston make the USOC initial shortlist?  No it wasn't going to beat out New York?  But I believe the Houston bid was stronger and more centralized than the regional San Francisco bid.

Someone mentioned doming the Cotton Bowl.  That project has been dead for years now.  It was a nice idea at the time but ultimately deemed too expensive.  No way Laura Miller will go for that.  I attended the annual Cotton Bowl game in 2004 and was simply amazed by how poor the facility has become.  Of the Rose Bowl, Orange Bowl, and Citrus Bowl, the Cotton Bowl is easily in the worst shape.

The one problem I had with the Houston bid was hosting track and field events in the Astrodome.  I think it would've been better to have them in Reliant Stadium, something about having the events outdoors.

No, I've never been to Texas.  But I have been to FLorida.  But see, these regional differences, subtle or not, between Texas and the Deep South and Florida (not really not being part of the South) really don't matter.   In the eyes of the IOC -- who are the eventual arbitrers of the cause for all this discussion -- they are pretty much bunched up as the American South - and argue with it however much you want; and the South, including Dallas and Houston, have had their chance with Atlanta.  

I mean, what's the point of extending the discussion when even the USOC, the gatekeeper of American bids, passed on Dallas and Houston, regardless of their merits, when they know that in "international eyes," those 2 Texas cities are grouped with a Southern setting.  Why do you think the USOC very firmly stated: we want to put forth candidate cities with VERY STRONG INTERNATIONAL appeal?

THEY HAVE TO DEMOLISH THE ASTRODOME.. Theres no other suitable choice.. It was even part of thier 2012 plan.

Athletics can not be held at Reliant:

a; there would be to many obscure veiws, mainly in the back of the bottom tier

b; I believe the stadium is owned by the NFL anyway. Going through all the effort to get a track down wouldnt be worth it.

They could have chosen to build another stadium somewhere else in the city though what would be the point in having a 60,000seat football stadium, 30,000seat soccer stadium, 70,000seat indoor dome, and a 80,000seat ahtletics stadium all in the one city?

• 3 months later...
Will these two cities want to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games?

I just got back from two weeks in Texas for a trial and have to go back to September.

These people are NUTS if they think Texas has a snowball's chance in hell to host the Olympics - hell being the operative word.  I have never been in such a hot, humid, muggy, bug infested place in my life! :help:

I personally don't think Dallas or Houston are as bad as some people on here make them out to be. If the Houston bid was so inferior then why did it beat out Dallas, Cincinnati, Tampa, and Los Angeles?  The heat is a problem, and yes Texas does get hot but i've been to Chicago when it was blistering hot as well and I don't see anyone voicing concerns over heat there. Heatwaves have hit NYC in the past during the summer.....doesn't seem to be an issue to anyone on here. During the Olympics, it's going to be hot in just about every major U.S., some more than others.

While the Texas cities don't have the International appeal that other cities like NYC, San Fran., and Chicago, they have a hell of alot more chance than many other cities that have been mentioned both in the U.S. and Internationally.

As far as traffic goes.......most major U.S. cities have that problem, not just Dallas and Houston.

Yes, everyone hates Bush, and he's from Texas. Bill Clinton was from Arkansas and everyone loved him so does that mean we should give Little Rock the nod for 2016?

And with the present White House occupant being from the Lone Star state, I think the USOC will want to keep a distance from any Texas connection as far as possible.  Besides, the USOC has reserved PanAm 2011 for San Antonio -- so that should take care of them for awhile.

When is the decision for the 2011 Pan-American Games host city?

• 2 weeks later...
Will these two cities want to bid for the 2016 Olympic Games?

I just got back from two weeks in Texas for a trial and have to go back to September.

These people are NUTS if they think Texas has a snowball's chance in hell to host the Olympics - hell being the operative word.  I have never been in such a hot, humid, muggy, bug infested place in my life! :help:

Waaaahhhhaaaaaa

I thought the setup for Super Bowl XXXVIII in Houston had much of an Olympic Feel. You had two clusters of venues, one in downtown, the other by the Stadium itself.

Only Philly could offer the "cluster" system which the IOC seems to enjoy, or did in Sydney, Athens, and will in Beijing and London.

The Convention Center (IBC) is right next to the 20,000 seat arena, and the baseball stadium. Your Main Stadium would be next to an 80,000 seat Venue which could be divided up in a Georgia Dome type setup.

And it's minutes between the two by Public Transportation.

Throw in Galveston Bay for the sailing, rowing, beach volleyball, heck, even the aquatic events....

Hotels and infastructure would be a serious concern, yet...for Houston, like many Olympic Cities would use a Games to bring itself up to date with many major cities. Right now, Houston, and Dallas along with many Southern Cities are growing faster then the infastructure around them. Atlanta by hosting the Games did a serious number on that gap. Houston would gain the same benefits.

Again, I thought Houston had the best 2012 bid on paper....It just isn't New York, or San Francisco...But like Atlanta, I think Houston would greatly benefit from hosting, while NY and SF wouldn't.

Again, I thought Houston had the best 2012 bid on paper....It just isn't New York, or San Francisco...But like Atlanta, I think Houston would greatly benefit from hosting, while NY and SF wouldn't.

But it's NOT what's best for a host city.  It's what's best for the Games and, theoretically, the BEST of all the final bids.

And with the present White House occupant being from the Lone Star state, I think the USOC will want to keep a distance from any Texas connection as far as possible.  Besides, the USOC has reserved PanAm 2011 for San Antonio -- so that should take care of them for awhile.

When is the decision for the 2011 Pan-American Games host city?

Should be this year or next year at the latest.  Even if they announce it right away today - that would only be a 6-year lead.  I imagine next summer would be enough lead time: 5 years to 2011.

• 1 month later...
Just thought I'd add something.

It look like Houston, and in that case New Orleans as well, won't be making a bid for the 2016 games!

Of course New Orleans won't make a bid for 2016, neither for 2020 or 2052... but Houston can bid for 2016 :)

• 3 years later...

I don't want to bump this thread or anything since there have been no replies in 3.5 years, but I have thought about Dallas's and Houston's planning to bid for the 2012 Summer Olympics for awhile now. About Houston, the plan did not suggest demolishing the Astrodome. They were just going to gut the Astrodome to its exterior walls, install a 400-meter track that meets all specifications, and build a new seating bowl with a capacity of 70,000. And about Dallas's plans: To make a main stadium out of the Cotton Bowl, we would have to remove the bottom 15-20 rows of seating to create a 400-metre track in the stadium, add two rows of luxury suites between its two tiers (which would require modifications to the 1st-tier seating on both sides of the field), completely encircle the second deck (we already did in 2008), and replace all the bleacher seating with individual seating (the IOC does not allow bleacher seating at Olympic venues). Plans also suggested that the stadium be covered with a dome, but that will never happen in our lifetimes. Also, I remember seeing a page that have the options for the venues of a Dallas Olympic Games a few years ago and I have lost that page. If I attempt to see that page again, there'll be an error message. Can someone provide a link to that page?

• 3 weeks later...
<font color='#000080'>

Although Texas is in the Southern part of the United States, I wouldn't really classify it as "The South".  The regional cultures, icons and traditions are different - even if only subtle.

I have to agree, being a native Texan this is something i've always noticed. While generally classified as being in the South I have always felt that Texas is culturally different from the rest of the southeast, while not as extreme as South Florida, Texas does have its differences. I am more familiar with Houston and Dallas/Ft Worth but from my experience Texas has always felt more like the west than the south, especially Houston. Again that's just my opinion, but I have found Texans to be more laid back in their attitude, much the same way people in the west tend to be more laid back than people in the east.

Archived