Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Games

sport1

As I have said way way back a few months ago when Halifax beat out Hamilton I knew right away Halifax would have a very hefty budget. Halifax is a city with nearly zero sporting venues. Back when Hamilton and Halifax bided for the 2010 Commonwealth Games the Canadian branch recognized this and awarded the Canadian bid to Hamilton. Many speculated Sheila Copps interfered and helped Hamilton win. Remember Hamilton came into the bidding scene late whereas Halifax was planning months ago yet still lost. Halifax lost because Hamilton had much more sporting venues and Hamilton's budget would be more reasonable. Now why did Halifax win the domestic bid this time? Well it's no secret the Canadian Commonwealth committee were filled with pro-Halifax members.

Now we fast forward and Halifax bid may withdraw because of the high budget cost. This is not Halifax fault it's the Canadian Commonwealth federation fault. They should have recognized this problem much like they did during Halifax's 2010 bid. Essentially what the federation did was award the domestic bid to a homeless person expecting the government will create him a Taj Mahal hoping to have long lasting legacy.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME!!!!

what a great article G... thank you....

The public rows over Halifax's bid caused the Premier of Nova Scotia province, Rodney MacDonald, to warn the warring factions to keep quiet or risk damaging the bid.

xcuse me NODDY RODDY you is most confused: I will slow it down for ya-the bid was damaged before it was on the table...

These types of discussions are better behind closed doors," said MacDonald. "We have to make sure through this whole process, that we don't hurt the bid process by being out there with too much talking about it, talking about numbers that may or may not be accurate."

gee, sounds like someone is getting askeeered...

gee, did he lose faith in his own number system LMAO-- okay lets do it together NODDYRODDY- 1,2,3, good boy...

see let that be lesson to all of us- when you invent you own counting system you are bound to confuse even yourself ..did I say Merry Christmas to me????

That prompted Canada's federal secretary of state for sport, Helena Guergis, to issue a stinging reply: "To be all of a sudden asked to be increasing that amount when the province and the city haven't put their financial contribution on the table is rather strange."

rather strange indeedy .......cause they got greedy.

The Halifax bid, meanwhile, has also hit a major organisational snag. It was recently discovered that there is not enough suitable land for the stadium and athletes' village planned for Shannon Park in the Dartmouth area of the city, and Halifax Regional Municipality is carrying out a frantic search for more land in the vicinity.

recently discovered not enough land???? OMG this is too much......

Public support for the bid has declined from 79% to 72% according to a recent opinion poll, while the Halifax Bid Committee's failure to finalise costs has lost it the unanimous political support it previously enjoyed in the city.

public support has declined ..SAY IT AINT SO PAPI!!!!

"What I'm hearing is there are a lot of people on council that are fed up with the bid committee and their attitude towards the council."

oooo no he di'aint.....now it is ALLLLLLLL the BIDTEAMS fault???? LMAo

now they are turning on each other?? where are the toothpicks.....how sweet this is....

MELTODOWN has COMMENCED!!!!

"It could have been done earlier, but we came to the whole process later than Glasgow and Abuja because of the competition between Canadian cities to make the bid," said Hashey

how pathetic!! now Hashey is blaming it on their late arrival????

OMG this guys are right on time !!!! How predictable are pathetic people.

GUARDIAN you made my day!!!!! We are celebrating my son's birthday tonight and this is such gift for he has paid an immeasurable price for the unethical practices of NG government since 1992.

Thank you for this precious gift.

MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ME

HAPPY BIRTDHAY TO MY SON

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

As I have said way way back a few months ago when Halifax beat out Hamilton I knew right away Halifax would have a very hefty budget. Halifax is a city with nearly zero sporting venues. Back when Hamilton and Halifax bided for the 2010 Commonwealth Games the Canadian branch recognized this and awarded the Canadian bid to Hamilton. Many speculated Sheila Copps interfered and helped Hamilton win. Remember Hamilton came into the bidding scene late whereas Halifax was planning months ago yet still lost. Halifax lost because Hamilton had much more sporting venues and Hamilton's budget would be more reasonable. Now why did Halifax win the domestic bid this time? Well it's no secret the Canadian Commonwealth committee were filled with pro-Halifax members.

Now we fast forward and Halifax bid may withdraw because of the high budget cost. This is not Halifax fault it's the Canadian Commonwealth federation fault. They should have recognized this problem much like they did during Halifax's 2010 bid. Essentially what the federation did was award the domestic bid to a homeless person expecting the government will create him a Taj Mahal hoping to have long lasting legacy.

So Halifax doesn't have a stadium so the only way we can get a stadium is to get something like CWG's but you're saying we shouldn't get the CWG's because we don't have a stadium. I find this very annoying.

So Halifax doesn't have a stadium so the only way we can get a stadium is to get something like CWG's but you're saying we shouldn't get the CWG's because we don't have a stadium. I find this very annoying.

I agree with you completely. The nay-sayers don't know an opportunity even when it's staring them in the face.

I'm still reserving judgement on the economics of the bid until i hear from the consultants, that way the amateurs among the anti-gamers will have to quit the smoke and mirrors, and maybe some city councilors will stop swallowing the BS like its icecream.

A stadium is just one sporting venue, there's also an aquatic centre, an arena, a sporting complex, velodrome etc. All of which Halifax has none. Halifax should start off small like Pan-American and FINA World Championships and build an aquatic centre for it and so on. Find a business partner to build a stadium for the CFL, etc. Starting from scratch for a major sporting event is a bad move because you'll get the results you are currently witnessing, massive budget which council finds annoying.

A stadium is just one sporting venue, there's also an aquatic centre, an arena, a sporting complex, velodrome etc. All of which Halifax has none. Halifax should start off small like Pan-American and FINA World Championships and build an aquatic centre for it and so on. Find a business partner to build a stadium for the CFL, etc. Starting from scratch for a major sporting event is a bad move because you'll get the results you are currently witnessing, massive budget which council finds annoying.

Come on now Hamilton would have to build a lot too. I mean really they would have to over hull their stadium which would be very costly and would have to build everything else. So I doubt they could do it for a lot more cheaper than Halifax.

I'm not trying to compare cities saying Halifax has zero sporting venue therefore extremely high budget. Extremely risky move by the Canadian Commonwealth federation took.

For your information Hamilton has Copps Coliseum that is currently hosting the Brier, has a sports complex ($43 million) just built which was part of Hamilton's 2010 bid, a new stadium at McMaster currently being built again was part of the 2010 bid, has an aquatic centre but not up to standard so would need upgrading. All expect Copps was paid privately with no taxpayers money. Least with Hamilton is has sporting venues that was used for previous sporting events. Something I suggested Halifax should do as well. Then go for the big fish.

Come on now Hamilton would have to build a lot too. I mean really they would have to over hull their stadium which would be very costly and would have to build everything else. So I doubt they could do it for a lot more cheaper than Halifax.

Part of Hamilton's 2010 bid $250 million from the Feds and $250 million from the province. For Halifax I believe it's almost doubled to what Hamilton wanted, $400 million from Ottawa. Hamilton would need to build a stadium and a new aquatic centre, the rest is built.

I like this analogy here, Apple. They (the CCF) are acting like one other such national entity and it ticks me off. Makes one wonder how serious they are, when such bids are looked at; never mind what kind of "real" support any party concerned are willing to take in helping that bid along.

Part of Hamilton's 2010 bid $250 million from the Feds and $250 million from the province. For Halifax I believe it's almost doubled to what Hamilton wanted, $400 million from Ottawa. Hamilton would need to build a stadium and a new aquatic centre, the rest is built.

So, Hamilton wouldnt need to build an athletes village or velodrome? With Halifax's bid they plan to upgrade the Forum and Metro Centre arena for use as venues.

In reality, there isnt that much difference between what Hamilton and Halifax would need to build, as both would need to have facilities up to a CWG standard.

I'm not trying to compare cities saying Halifax has zero sporting venue therefore extremely high budget. Extremely risky move by the Canadian Commonwealth federation took.

For your information Hamilton has Copps Coliseum that is currently hosting the Brier, has a sports complex ($43 million) just built which was part of Hamilton's 2010 bid, a new stadium at McMaster currently being built again was part of the 2010 bid, has an aquatic centre but not up to standard so would need upgrading. All expect Copps was paid privately with no taxpayers money. Least with Hamilton is has sporting venues that was used for previous sporting events. Something I suggested Halifax should do as well. Then go for the big fish.

Its not like Halifax hasn't hosted anything before. You mention the Brier the Halfax Metro centre has hosted the brier many times and as recently as a few years ago. We have hosted hosted the World Juniors Hockey a few years back breaking attendenace records. We are going to be co-hosting the World Hockey Champhionship next year with Quebec city. We have hosted the memeriol cup, wae have hosted the Womens World juniors hockey, we are going to be hosting the World Lacrosse Champioship this May, we are to be hosting Worlds Rowing meet in a few years and the list goes on. Halifax has built a reputaion as a great events city and this a big reason it was selected. Yes we need more facilities and that is why we need to CWG's. This part of the country has been neglected to long and it is about time we get some infra-structure investement like the rest of the country. Halifax is twice the size of Regina and they have a staduim and we don't to put it inot perspective.

Thats based on costs from four years ago the costs for Hamilton would much higher if they were bidding now.

Hamilton wouldn't need to build an athlete village since majority of students at McMaster University are taking a break for the summer. So therefore the village would be McMaster student residence.

Go for smaller fish to obtain facilities not with one giant sporting event to wreck havoc on the entire city budget and future.

Based on Hamilton's 2014 bid Hamilton would still go for $250 million from feds and province. Remember two major sporting venue (a stadium and sports complex) from the 2010 bid is currently being built therefore that would offset any inflation over the 4 year period. The city would only need to build an aqatic centre and if they wanted to save money they could refurish Ivor Wynne Stadium instead of a new stadium.

Hamilton wouldn't need to build an athlete village since majority of students at McMaster University are taking a break for the summer. So therefore the village would be McMaster student residence.

Go for smaller fish to obtain facilities not with one giant sporting event to wreck havoc on the entire city budget and future.

Based on Hamilton's 2014 bid Hamilton would still go for $250 million from feds and province. Remember two major sporting venue (a stadium and sports complex) from the 2010 bid is currently being built therefore that would offset any inflation over the 4 year period. The city would only need to build an aqatic centre and if they wanted to save money they could refurish Ivor Wynne Stadium instead of a new stadium.

A student residence? Halifax could easily do that as there are several major universities in the vacinity, but I didnt know you could actually put athletes in a residence for the CWG. I know for the 2011 Canada winter games, were putting athletes in downtown hotels, which are connected by pedways, and for the CWG the plan is to construct an athletes village within walking distance to most of the venues.

And on another note, Im hoping that Halifax learns from this experience, and if we arent awarded the games, facilities should be constructed to ensure an easier bid for other events.

I think that's one thing I heard Scott Logan say when asked what if we lose, all the money we spent would be wasted. He said that it won't be a waste because it will give us a great blue print and plan for the future development of our city.

Yea even if you lose you can still learn a lot and maybe a few things might become a reality. Hamilton lost the 2010 bid but they've handled to collect money from the private sector to build the sports complex and a stadium. Same could happen with Halifax especially a modest size stadium for a future CFL team.

Save a few million dollars by placing the athletes in student residence. Don't really need to push for an athlete village.

I'm sorry the previous Halifax 2014 thread was closed due to it getting way off-topic since I posted my list of possible venues for Halifax 2014. Here, I will try and do it again for you.

Shannon Park Stadium-50000

Shannon Park Fieldhouse-1500

Shannon Park Aquatic Centre-8000

Shannon Park Velodrome-4000

Halifax Metro Centre-10959

Halifax Forum-5600

Dartmouth Sportsplex-3000

Huskies Stadium-10000

A very determinent date for the future of the Halifax candidature will be march 26th.

It will be provincial election in Quebec.

Parti Quebecois against Parti Liberal.

If Parti Quebecois win that night, they will for sure go for a referendum for the Independance.

Imagine the picture in the Maritimes provinces if Quebec is no more a part from Canada.

Result from the last referendum for separation few years ago was very very close (49% for, and 51% against)

It will be dramatic for Halifax chance.

I've just gotten word that its all over. Council has pulled the Halifax bid for the 2014 commonwealth games....And Jim and Outraged, don't rub it in too much....seriously.

Not only the city but the province.

RU kidding this is a historic day in nova scotia history . TONITE THE BOTTLE ROCKETS GO OFF out of keiths commonwealth games beer bottles.

HEY on a more positive note wishblade I do have to say is certainly is a pleasure to have debated you for months on end . Atleast compared to pro games zealots you have some devils advocate powers and a bit of common sense.

I now notice new facilities approved for ABuja. The bar is much higher today then in 1987 when halifax lost to victoria for the right to host the commonwealth games.

The 8th of march 2007 the day that politicans blinked and pulled us back from the brink of financial ruin .

JIm Jones

Not only the city but the province.

RU kidding this is a historic day in nova scotia history . TONITE THE BOTTLE ROCKETS GO OFF out of keiths commonwealth games beer bottles.

HEY on a more positive note wishblade I do have to say is certainly is a pleasure to have debated you for months on end . Atleast compared to pro games zealots you have some devils advocate powers and a bit of common sense.

I now notice new facilities approved for ABuja. The bar is much higher today then in 1987 when halifax lost to victoria for the right to host the commonwealth games.

The 8th of march 2007 the day that politicans blinked and pulled us back from the brink of financial ruin .

JIm Jones

The thing Im most saddened about is the fact we just lost $400 million in federal funding, and the money that was going to be spent on this games probably isnt even going to go towards anything useful. And thats a shame.

And its been great debating with you as well :P . No hard feelings lol. I actually have somewhat of a empty feeling now thats its over. It happened so fast.

*bangs head on the computer keyboard*

Now what? I would love to see and hear Hamilton's reaction to this news. I bet it and the Ontarian cities are shaking their heads right now.

Archived