Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Games

sport1

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in a previous thread Tourism Hamilton is making a report for council. Hamilton wants to go for 2014 bid but it's up to Commonwealth Canada if Canada will place forward a Canadian bid for 2014. They should be making a decsion this week. The 2nd place domestic bid for 2014 will go ahead if Commonwealth Canada agrees with making a Canadian bid, therefore Hamilton is a go. There's no time for a new domestic bid.

As I said in a previous thread Tourism Hamilton is making a report for council. Hamilton wants to go for 2014 bid but it's up to Commonwealth Canada if Canada will place forward a Canadian bid for 2014. They should be making a decsion this week. The 2nd place domestic bid for 2014 will go ahead if Commonwealth Canada agrees with making a Canadian bid, therefore Hamilton is a go. There's no time for a new domestic bid.

Wait a minute. Are you suggesting that Hamilton take over where Halifax left off? I can see where this is going, but would the CGF accept the idea? As Outraged as pointed out in another topic in this forum, it was them that let Halifax go as far as it did, before that bid's fall today.

Wait a minute. Are you suggesting that Hamilton take over where Halifax left off? I can see where this is going, but would the CGF accept the idea? As Outraged as pointed out in another topic in this forum, it was them that let Halifax go as far as it did, before that bid's fall today.

This is true. Someone else mentioned this on another board too.

It can work but only for Hamilton because Hamilton bidded for the last game, 2010.

Hate to say it but if given the chance to go forward Hamilton's bid will be recycled information from the 2010 bid. Expect two of the major sporting venues are already built or being built therefore that frees up some money so really Hamilton can work with the financial commitment under the 2010 bid. That will mean Hamilton will have 2 months to work with the feds and province to get a financial commitment.

It can work but only for Hamilton because Hamilton bidded for the last game, 2010.

Hate to say it but if given the chance to go forward Hamilton's bid will be recycled information from the 2010 bid. Expect two of the major sporting venues are already built or being built therefore that frees up some money so really Hamilton can work with the financial commitment under the 2010 bid. That will mean Hamilton will have 2 months to work with the feds and province to get a financial commitment.

Refresh my memory quickly, was there to be a new athletics stadium built in their 2010 bid?

What about any monies the federal government gave to Halifax for that bid then, if any? I can assume that Halifax has to give back that money, if they didn't spend it.

What about any monies the federal government gave to Halifax for that bid then, if any? I can assume that Halifax has to give back that money, if they didn't spend it.

When did they give Halifax money for the CWG? I don't recall that.

Yes, by the waterfront. Under the 2010 bid Hamilton got a financial commitment of $500 million, spilt from the feds and province. The city would kick in the rest.

Well I hope this all works out well. It would definately redeem Canada.

When did they give Halifax money for the CWG? I don't recall that.

Like it was around $400 million from Ottawa, if I heard the news correctly.

Oh sorry..I got confused and thought that Halifax already had their hands on the funds but it was just a financial committment right?

Well, it is "late" in the overall bidding process and Halifax, like the other 2 contenders, was to put forward their overall bid to showcase to interested Canadians and the world in general. Now that the official Canadian bid has faltered to nothing, I would like to know if that money was ever used from the federal government. If not, then there is a possibility that another bidding city could take over and have that federal funding. That is, if both the Commonwealth Games Canada and the Commonwealth Games FEDERATION agrees to that.

Well, it is "late" in the overall bidding process and Halifax, like the other 2 contenders, was to put forward their overall bid to showcase to interested Canadians and the world in general. Now that the official Canadian bid has faltered to nothing, I would like to know if that money was ever used from the federal government. If not, then there is a possibility that another bidding city could take over and have that federal funding. That is, if both the Commonwealth Games Canada and the Commonwealth Games FEDERATION agrees to that.

GREAT QUESTION G!!!!

If the money is still laying in the vault then what should they do with it?

Reshelf it for the next time or let a contender have it (Hamilton)?

Why doe MISS AMERICA have a runner up and the GAMES don't ?

Archived