Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Games

sport1

You are obviously avoiding the comment about the financial benefit that the 2010 Games are bringing to athletes. HBC is a longtime supporter of Commonwealth Games Canada because of their belief in these Games. I am not sure of the details of their relationship and whether the Halifax bid is already recieving support via the national organization.

Once again, what is your vision? It is easy to be critical and not easy to have a vision.

Buddy look I know the relationship and it is not with the Halifax 2014 committee. HBC supports the athletes and that is basically it. I read the latest announcement throughly.

Gosh the 2014 committee would not advertise this special relationship with a company that built the Thompson Empire????

Yeah I suppose they would not want to advertize the Daily News as a supporter or Keith's beer after all they are such huge companies in comparision to Hudson Bay Company and Kenneth Thompson's fortune as the man who was in the top twenty for Billioniares worldwide.

Wow big deal about Vancouver. I suppose spending 1.5 billion for a games for an increase in athletes funding of 100 million is logical . Again we could easily save the money and just go directly to the athletes and get more for our buck . Fred Mac gillivray would have spent more on business case handing out money to other nations then was spend on athletes in atlantic canada. And his pursuit is for a games with only a couple of events that are in the olympics.

The canadian olympics people dont even talk about performance at these nothing games of the commonwealth.

jim jones

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Buddy look I know the relationship and it is not with the Halifax 2014 committee. HBC supports the athletes and that is basically it. I read the latest announcement throughly.

Gosh the 2014 committee would not advertise this special relationship with a company that built the Thompson Empire????

Yeah I suppose they would not want to advertize the Daily News as a supporter or Keith's beer after all they are such huge companies in comparision to Hudson Bay Company and Kenneth Thompson's fortune as the man who was in the top twenty for Billioniares worldwide.

Wow big deal about Vancouver. I suppose spending 1.5 billion for a games for an increase in athletes funding of 100 million is logical . Again we could easily save the money and just go directly to the athletes and get more for our buck . Fred Mac gillivray would have spent more on business case handing out money to other nations then was spend on athletes in atlantic canada. And his pursuit is for a games with only a couple of events that are in the olympics.

The canadian olympics people dont even talk about performance at these nothing games of the commonwealth.

jim jones

You still didn't give a vision...

That's because he doesn't have any. All he does is criticize without any substance. His a very negative person who doesn't offer anything positive or constructive....pretty sad really.

Ok heres my vision. Halifax will actually become a productive place in the future. Not just a depository of nutty ideas that a few from the Land of OZ would like the rest of the country to fund.

Hows that for a vision . and speaking of people who believe we are owed something when we actually are not . In steps rodney mac donald making a great impression of the Federal tories with his childish banter. At least the minister told it like she sees it .

Show the public your funding for the games rodney. The Feds have and that is all you get the benefit of until you show everyone what you and the city plan to pony up. Flaterny and the boys are just laffing now. Hows Halifax going to punish the tories for their offer that is more then Hamilton ontarios funding for the 2010 bid??? No tories seats to lose in the hrm and probably fewer to gain if they opened a blank cheque for the games.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/sports/070227/s022740A.html

Yes Bruce and I and the legion of dome have the bottle rockets and empty keith's/commonwealth games beer bottles ready and waiting for the celebration at shannon that could come as soon as next tuesday or maybe two weeks later. The CBC story says it the games bid is coming unglued and my tip to the anti games forces and the press about Fast Freddie speech in Jersey has made for some angry residents in the province over the 10000 dollars per commonwealth nation grant whether halifax wins or not.

Very nice of the committee to offer something the glasgow committee isnt. It maybe part of their downfall LOL.

jim jones

Ok heres my vision. Halifax will actually become a productive place in the future. Not just a depository of nutty ideas that a few from the Land of OZ would like the rest of the country to fund.

Hows that for a vision . and speaking of people who believe we are owed something when we actually are not . In steps rodney mac donald making a great impression of the Federal tories with his childish banter. At least the minister told it like she sees it .

Show the public your funding for the games rodney. The Feds have and that is all you get the benefit of until you show everyone what you and the city plan to pony up. Flaterny and the boys are just laffing now. Hows Halifax going to punish the tories for their offer that is more then Hamilton ontarios funding for the 2010 bid??? No tories seats to lose in the hrm and probably fewer to gain if they opened a blank cheque for the games.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/sports/070227/s022740A.html

Yes Bruce and I and the legion of dome have the bottle rockets and empty keith's/commonwealth games beer bottles ready and waiting for the celebration at shannon that could come as soon as next tuesday or maybe two weeks later. The CBC story says it the games bid is coming unglued and my tip to the anti games forces and the press about Fast Freddie speech in Jersey has made for some angry residents in the province over the 10000 dollars per commonwealth nation grant whether halifax wins or not.

Very nice of the committee to offer something the glasgow committee isnt. It maybe part of their downfall LOL.

jim jones

Childish banter don't make me laugh you're the king of that Jim. You still haven't answered the question you're idea of a vision is to criticize because that's all you know how do....pathetic. Your a sad negative person who has nothing better to do but sit at you're computer and bring people down with you're annoying bullshit of miss construed facts and figures and pretend you're all knowledgeable when you really don't know **** and the more you write on here the more people realize it.

Hey Jim, I'm curious. You seem to put a lot of effort into these posts of yours. How come a newspaper's never printed any of your letters (I'm sure you've sent in all kinds).

....yeah.... fact checkers are a pain in the ass.

Yes Reality sucks for pro games forces in Halifax and in the 2000's anti games people worldwide have plenty of reality to choose from news sources supplied online.

Oh the reason I and others don't write letters to the editor or do OP Ed Pieces is because we do have a calculated approach. Everything with the exception of Walter Nolan is outside the group and comes from the people.

Bruce Devenne is the spokes person for the anti games movement. I fill a research and support role but I will get on the rick howe show or here to inform another wise ignorant public. Bruce gets a great deal of his information from me and bruce finds some great stuff on his own like the 3 billion dollar price tag Glasgow has estimated for their effort. I actually thought my friend was a bit over the top with that but then I read the the article on the announcing of the games village by Derek Casey and it is true right out of the mans mouth in print in a Scottish newspaper.

The Jersey BBC interview with fast freddie was an incredible find and about 4 google searchs deep into researching additional facilities in abuja. I could not believe my luck . And a downloadable MP3 file to save. Now the Herald and others are onto the jersey committee and posing the question to glasgows committee about 10000 dollar taxpayer funded gifts even if halifax is not awarded the games.

Our plan was simple from jan of 2006. Death by 1000 paper cuts. The pattern was set. Keep up the information until it is over.

That lays the road to creditbility when the truth is made public. Even if they brought out a figure of 1.5 billion people would say all alone that they have been lied to and the Devenne was right all along . It isnt Devenne and 12 other peoples opinions. It is Devenne with the support and research help of others. Now Bruce is the one getting calls from everywheres for interviews and unlike the committee or council his answers are carrying weight in the court of public opinion. BRuce could truthfully cite that anything that the committee brought was not going to be the final figure as history has plenty of evidence about that.

My efford comes because I truly believe that this would spell economic disaster for the province and hence why i have devoted everyday towards ending this fantasy.

I could care less about your wims to have a sport stadium because I have been a round long enough to know that in 3 years the child named halifax will be tied of its new toy.

Every single High performance athlete pretty much travels to the best coaching not the other way around. Donovan Bailey trained in the southern united states. Kirk Johnson is in the states as well . A stadium or Aquatic centre will do little for us. No new Nancy Garpicks have come forth even after her inspired performances at the montreal games and yet the same pool is still there in Halifax neglected because the child can not take care of what it was given as a centeniual project in 1968.

So the thing is being called whatever by you pro games people is actually an honor because I know your reactions show that we are winning. I dont give us full credit because the committee has been its own worst enemy which we have exploited to our best advantage. It is also the media that has played a key role in communicating our message.

Jim Jones

I know this is unrelated to your last post Jim, but I just want to ask something that I should have asked a while ago. You have stated that you are against the building of these facilities in the HRM (especially the stadium) because of cost overruns, and lack of upkeep and maintenance. But I do recall you stating that you would support the building of a stadium in HRM ( I believe you said between the airport and Sackville) if it were build in the proper manner which I believe you used Knoxville as an example.

This leaves me perplexed. You seem to be for it in one situation, while against it in another. I want to know if there is anyway you would support the building of these commonwealth style facilities regardless of if the games were awarded to Halifax or not. Because I do agree when its said that these facilities should have been built over a period of time so that by the time we did bid on a major sporting event, there would atleast be facilities on the ground.

And as for Bruce DeVenne, I can't really respect his points of view. Because from what I've seen he isn't only against the CWG in Halifax, but virtually anything that involves change. I've heard from him being against the United Gulf project, the outdoor concert on the commons, even the Canada Winter games being hosted here. He just seems like a general naysayer. Just my opinion and probably many other's as well.

Yes Reality sucks for pro games forces in Halifax and in the 2000's anti games people worldwide have plenty of reality to choose from news sources supplied online.

Oh the reason I and others don't write letters to the editor or do OP Ed Pieces is because we do have a calculated approach. Everything with the exception of Walter Nolan is outside the group and comes from the people.

Bruce Devenne is the spokes person for the anti games movement. I fill a research and support role but I will get on the rick howe show or here to inform another wise ignorant public. Bruce gets a great deal of his information from me and bruce finds some great stuff on his own like the 3 billion dollar price tag Glasgow has estimated for their effort. I actually thought my friend was a bit over the top with that but then I read the the article on the announcing of the games village by Derek Casey and it is true right out of the mans mouth in print in a Scottish newspaper.

The Jersey BBC interview with fast freddie was an incredible find and about 4 google searchs deep into researching additional facilities in abuja. I could not believe my luck . And a downloadable MP3 file to save. Now the Herald and others are onto the jersey committee and posing the question to glasgows committee about 10000 dollar taxpayer funded gifts even if halifax is not awarded the games.

Our plan was simple from jan of 2006. Death by 1000 paper cuts. The pattern was set. Keep up the information until it is over.

That lays the road to creditbility when the truth is made public. Even if they brought out a figure of 1.5 billion people would say all alone that they have been lied to and the Devenne was right all along . It isnt Devenne and 12 other peoples opinions. It is Devenne with the support and research help of others. Now Bruce is the one getting calls from everywheres for interviews and unlike the committee or council his answers are carrying weight in the court of public opinion. BRuce could truthfully cite that anything that the committee brought was not going to be the final figure as history has plenty of evidence about that.

My efford comes because I truly believe that this would spell economic disaster for the province and hence why i have devoted everyday towards ending this fantasy.

I could care less about your wims to have a sport stadium because I have been a round long enough to know that in 3 years the child named halifax will be tied of its new toy.

Every single High performance athlete pretty much travels to the best coaching not the other way around. Donovan Bailey trained in the southern united states. Kirk Johnson is in the states as well . A stadium or Aquatic centre will do little for us. No new Nancy Garpicks have come forth even after her inspired performances at the montreal games and yet the same pool is still there in Halifax neglected because the child can not take care of what it was given as a centeniual project in 1968.

So the thing is being called whatever by you pro games people is actually an honor because I know your reactions show that we are winning. I dont give us full credit because the committee has been its own worst enemy which we have exploited to our best advantage. It is also the media that has played a key role in communicating our message.

Jim Jones

While while I applaud your enthusiam for your anti prgress stance in HRM, I am also struck by your own lack of accountability. I have heard your friend Bruce and many others use the 2 billion dollar amount many times. To suggest that you were always right is very misleading because you have used 15 different numbers along the way. The first acuurate number is in the hands of government now from what I read.

For your information, athletes will go where the best coaching and training conditions occur. Thats why we have the paddlers staying here. Thats why there is a growing group of international level athletics athletes here who would greatly benefit from renewed facilities. Are you aware of the dramatically improving wrestling community in the province? Do you knwo the number of minor basketball and soccer teams that lack adequate facilities.

I do not think that our provinces best always have to leave and if we want our best and brightest across discplines of sport, business, research, etc. to stay, we need to give them a reason. The facilities from the 2014 Games will be one reason. A progressive and positive attitude among our population will be another. Does it concern you that we are losing our young people? Do you ever wonder or care why? They find the attitude of NS very negative, nonprogressive and insuler.

We have the best place in the world to live and our lack of vision is stiffling us. This is why I continuously ask what yuor side of the debate has to offer. This is the question that should be debated. A net result of nothing will just continue leading us down the worng path.

By the way, in the swimming world, Dawn Suto, Andrew Cole and Marie Moore were all national team members who arose directly after Nancy Garapick's performance. Did you check your facts?

If the numbers can work for the city and the province over the next 7 years to host the Games, it is an easy choice. There will be no opportunity to build any of these facilities in teh future. the price tag will continue to rise and there will be no federal contribution. I for one believe that our community needs the same capacity that a smaller towns such as Regina have. Why not be a leader in the country rather than always complaining.

One last thing, the problem with internet research is that you never experience the people and the palces that you are speaking about. As an expert in Games, which ones have you been to? have you seen nthe legacies in Victoria, Edmonton, Winnipeg or Calgary. Do you understand the community legacies that are permenetly part of their culture. Do any of these communities regret hosting the games. Why don't you find this out? This is the side of the arguement that you are unable to tap into vitrually.

While while I applaud your enthusiam for your anti prgress stance in HRM, I am also struck by your own lack of accountability. I have heard your friend Bruce and many others use the 2 billion dollar amount many times. To suggest that you were always right is very misleading because you have used 15 different numbers along the way. The first acuurate number is in the hands of government now from what I read.

For your information, athletes will go where the best coaching and training conditions occur. Thats why we have the paddlers staying here. Thats why there is a growing group of international level athletics athletes here who would greatly benefit from renewed facilities. Are you aware of the dramatically improving wrestling community in the province? Do you knwo the number of minor basketball and soccer teams that lack adequate facilities.

I do not think that our provinces best always have to leave and if we want our best and brightest across discplines of sport, business, research, etc. to stay, we need to give them a reason. The facilities from the 2014 Games will be one reason. A progressive and positive attitude among our population will be another. Does it concern you that we are losing our young people? Do you ever wonder or care why? They find the attitude of NS very negative, nonprogressive and insuler.

We have the best place in the world to live and our lack of vision is stiffling us. This is why I continuously ask what yuor side of the debate has to offer. This is the question that should be debated. A net result of nothing will just continue leading us down the worng path.

By the way, in the swimming world, Dawn Suto, Andrew Cole and Marie Moore were all national team members who arose directly after Nancy Garapick's performance. Did you check your facts?

If the numbers can work for the city and the province over the next 7 years to host the Games, it is an easy choice. There will be no opportunity to build any of these facilities in teh future. the price tag will continue to rise and there will be no federal contribution. I for one believe that our community needs the same capacity that a smaller towns such as Regina have. Why not be a leader in the country rather than always complaining.

One last thing, the problem with internet research is that you never experience the people and the palces that you are speaking about. As an expert in Games, which ones have you been to? have you seen nthe legacies in Victoria, Edmonton, Winnipeg or Calgary. Do you understand the community legacies that are permenetly part of their culture. Do any of these communities regret hosting the games. Why don't you find this out? This is the side of the arguement that you are unable to tap into vitrually.

Again you believe the cow pooh that is feed to you by sport bureaucrates. Dont kid yourself it will be two billion and the reason i see that in histroy. The construction time table is on the montreal time line of starting construction 4 year prior to the games.

That is a recipe for economic disaster. Coaches are not going to relocate to hlaifax because you have a stadium or aquatics centre.

I really dont care how any of these places fell about hosting a games. THey have the bills to pay for well after the party leaves town. I dont know what the fixtation on a commonwealth games is because really what use is badmonton to the nova scotia economy, netball and lawn bowls. THe problem with sport bureaucrates is they believe that the population should pay them for their lifestyles and hobbies which far exceed the rank and file athlete. There are plenty of solutions that the games committee could have employed to actually run these games but hey these are the so called experts an for a year they have been selling the public falsely on a 785 million dollar cost.

Rodney and Peter can beg all they like but the fact is Harper and company are not going to give extra ordinary funding to the city or province for these games. It was made clear that 33 percent of cost was all the feds would forward up to 400 million.

That is more then hamilton was getting from the liberals by 150 million. Harper is not going to move from there as he showed with the cost overrun funding for the ongoing project of the vancouver 2010 games. David Emerson had to cross the floor of the house to save the games and only at first got 33 million out o 55 million requested by the vanoc committee. It was thru many many months talks that the rest of the 55 million requested was released by Jim Flaterny with the iron clad condition "this is it "

the Vanoc people had to pressure the IIHF to allow a non olympic size venue in to the competition in the name of GM place.

Vanoc cant afford the 10 to 20 million for the change over to international ice surface and why should they. All the players in the olympics actually make a pay check at sometime in BC place in the job that counts THe NHL.

Gee some swimmers are doing good from Halifax Gosh I guess you dont need that 80 million dollar aquatics centre after all. LOL.

Who cares where our kids leave to make a living. As long as they are happy productive citizens they can always come back at some point if there is a place that will not tax them to death for the stupidity that governments have lead the province into for over 40 years. There is a new Conservative Regime in Ottawa and it is counter The Social Red Tories of Nova Scotia

who have absolutely no political power because Halifax did not elect a single one of them . The social engineering projects of a John Buchanan are over as they well should be . Thank god for that because we dont need another SYSCO, DEVco of repeating of the bail out of the teachers union pension fund. THat is why we are in the sorry state of affairs where we could even pay for the maintenance on a CFL stadium let alone the salaries or the capital costs.

jim jones

Again you believe the cow pooh that is feed to you by sport bureaucrates. Dont kid yourself it will be two billion and the reason i see that in histroy. The construction time table is on the montreal time line of starting construction 4 year prior to the games.

That is a recipe for economic disaster. Coaches are not going to relocate to hlaifax because you have a stadium or aquatics centre.

I really dont care how any of these places fell about hosting a games. THey have the bills to pay for well after the party leaves town. I dont know what the fixtation on a commonwealth games is because really what use is badmonton to the nova scotia economy, netball and lawn bowls. THe problem with sport bureaucrates is they believe that the population should pay them for their lifestyles and hobbies which far exceed the rank and file athlete. There are plenty of solutions that the games committee could have employed to actually run these games but hey these are the so called experts an for a year they have been selling the public falsely on a 785 million dollar cost.

Rodney and Peter can beg all they like but the fact is Harper and company are not going to give extra ordinary funding to the city or province for these games. It was made clear that 33 percent of cost was all the feds would forward up to 400 million.

That is more then hamilton was getting from the liberals by 150 million. Harper is not going to move from there as he showed with the cost overrun funding for the ongoing project of the vancouver 2010 games. David Emerson had to cross the floor of the house to save the games and only at first got 33 million out o 55 million requested by the vanoc committee. It was thru many many months talks that the rest of the 55 million requested was released by Jim Flaterny with the iron clad condition "this is it "

the Vanoc people had to pressure the IIHF to allow a non olympic size venue in to the competition in the name of GM place.

Vanoc cant afford the 10 to 20 million for the change over to international ice surface and why should they. All the players in the olympics actually make a pay check at sometime in BC place in the job that counts THe NHL.

Gee some swimmers are doing good from Halifax Gosh I guess you dont need that 80 million dollar aquatics centre after all. LOL.

Who cares where our kids leave to make a living. As long as they are happy productive citizens they can always come back at some point if there is a place that will not tax them to death for the stupidity that governments have lead the province into for over 40 years. There is a new Conservative Regime in Ottawa and it is counter The Social Red Tories of Nova Scotia

who have absolutely no political power because Halifax did not elect a single one of them . The social engineering projects of a John Buchanan are over as they well should be . Thank god for that because we dont need another SYSCO, DEVco of repeating of the bail out of the teachers union pension fund. THat is why we are in the sorry state of affairs where we could even pay for the maintenance on a CFL stadium let alone the salaries or the capital costs.

jim jones

Could you please keep it relevant.

I agree fully with Sport1. I'm not sure how anyone expects to take Halifax to the next level without being willing to make a change. Sure, the money going to these games could be spent on health care or education, but the same is true here in Scotland. NHS waiting times are ridiculous, and the physical education programmes in schools are suffering. However, Glasgow choses to bid. Issues such as health care and education will always be in the spotlight - these will never go away - but it shouldn't stop attempts to create change or to increase the profile of a city. Would you be happy to have Nova Scotia stay as it is? You still haven't provided your vision or what you would do to advance the city or province...you seem to wobble on the issue of using events to further the economy....are you completely against the idea or just the Commonwealth Games?

Could you please keep it relevant.

I agree fully with Sport1. I'm not sure how anyone expects to take Halifax to the next level without being willing to make a change. Sure, the money going to these games could be spent on health care or education, but the same is true here in Scotland. NHS waiting times are ridiculous, and the physical education programmes in schools are suffering. However, Glasgow choses to bid. Issues such as health care and education will always be in the spotlight - these will never go away - but it shouldn't stop attempts to create change or to increase the profile of a city. Would you be happy to have Nova Scotia stay as it is? You still haven't provided your vision or what you would do to advance the city or province...you seem to wobble on the issue of using events to further the economy....are you completely against the idea or just the Commonwealth Games?

MY point Nova Scotia is fine the way it is and if it wants sport facilities it can do it on its own and logically. The commonwealth games defy logic in this part of the world.

WE dont have a glasgow rangers soccer team and probably never will. Until the city can wise up and actually put together a plan that makes sense it will spin its wheels like it has been pursueing the commonwealth games. These people seem to think that they are having te feds pay 50 percent of the cost . not so . Harper layed it out it is a three way split minus corporate money.

Any corporate money on the scale of Glasgow???? how about Abuja ????? . It is a big joke in halifax compared to the two other cities. Panhandling inside the liquor stores . What a joke .

jim jones

MY point Nova Scotia is fine the way it is and if it wants sport facilities it can do it on its own and logically. The commonwealth games defy logic in this part of the world.

WE dont have a glasgow rangers soccer team and probably never will. Until the city can wise up and actually put together a plan that makes sense it will spin its wheels like it has been pursueing the commonwealth games. These people seem to think that they are having te feds pay 50 percent of the cost . not so . Harper layed it out it is a three way split minus corporate money.

Any corporate money on the scale of Glasgow???? how about Abuja ????? . It is a big joke in halifax compared to the two other cities. Panhandling inside the liquor stores . What a joke .

jim jones

You're such a Hick

jim jones

You have constantly said that NS is not fine the way it is now. I do not want to get into a discussion of who needs more attention to health care and education between Nigeria, Scotland and Canada. We all have our unique issues. The fact htat our future, our youth, are leaving our province in record numbers says that things maybe be fine for us older folks but the youth do not feel the energy or opportunity for the future. This concerns me greatly.

I agree that the Glasgow Ranger will never be in Halifax (a statement of the obvious) but what will be? What do we want?

I am not going to resort to name calling but let's not let this discussion digres any further. I think the Games will help our community in volunteering, event hosting, international exposure, etc. If the price tag is affordable, it is an opportunity that wilol not come again. Anyways, according to my math, building any facilities in the future will only become more expnsive so it is best to do it now.

Don't worry, sport, I'll handle the name-calling.

Where I come from, anyone dares to voice the phrase "Things are fine the way they are, no sense improving" is immediately laughed out of the room, and if a politician ever said it, well, that'd be a 10 word career suicide note. What do you call standing still while everyone passes you by? Jim calls it heaven. I think a growth plan that "makes sense" to jim is one that takes so long that no one's daily routine gets upset.

That kind of reasoning is fine for those content with a porch, a banjo, and a government cheque. They're comfortable in their mediocrity so long as they can ensure that those around them are condemned to the same. God forbid, should their neighbour dare to excel, they might be exposed for the dead weight they are. Ideas like legacy and generational bequest will never make sense to them, since the only thing more meager than their own dreams is their desire to fulfill those of their youth.

No, Halifax doesn't have anything like the Glasgow Rangers, but easily could if it would stop being its own worst enemy.

I can't really blame the JJ's of the world. They like their rut and will shout themselves hoarse in order to protect it. What I can't believe is that anyone would put up with their attempts to push forward their own selfish agenda. Your future is in danger of being decided by those who would rather time stood still. I'm not from Halifax, but Halifax, I am officially pissed off on your behalf. Learn to spot their BS and start taking control of your destiny. If you want the Commonwealth Games, whatever your reasons, then quit shaking at the end of the diving board and jump. The water's fine!

Don't tell me you're trying to save us from our own destructive ways. We can handle ourselves.

P.S. I too have noticed some postings in the past that refer to how "coloured" the commonwealth is.... and how Halifax is not the part of the world that should host the commonweath games..... hmmm..... commonwealth is "coloured"..... shouldn't be coming to this part of the world...... someone wanna help me put two and two together?

If you think Nova Scotia is fine the way it is Jim, than your just an obstructionist, simple as that.

No actually I am realistic which apparently the committee isnt by their own omission

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/561910.html

Yes we are going to have a sport festival, We have had Mike Fennel and Mike Hooper tour the proposed site for the games village , stadium, aquatics centre and field house but now it turns out that the site is not enough for the need. Heres the kicker

they want to Acquire more land from private hands ????? Gosh these people could shoot themselves in the foot any better for cost overruns. IF I was a Land owner there I would say 1 million an acre or you can go take a flying leap into halifax harbour.

Again halifax does not need any stadiums what so ever. Hooking your self to a sport festival will bring down the economy. LOL

I am obstructionist how about Rodney MacDonald declaration that the meeting and information should be kept secret. SCREW THAT it is a clear strike against democracy. No one elected Rodney MAC donadl to have carte blanche over the treasury or the direction this province takes.

Jim jones

You have constantly said that NS is not fine the way it is now. I do not want to get into a discussion of who needs more attention to health care and education between Nigeria, Scotland and Canada. We all have our unique issues. The fact htat our future, our youth, are leaving our province in record numbers says that things maybe be fine for us older folks but the youth do not feel the energy or opportunity for the future. This concerns me greatly.

I agree that the Glasgow Ranger will never be in Halifax (a statement of the obvious) but what will be? What do we want?

I am not going to resort to name calling but let's not let this discussion digres any further. I think the Games will help our community in volunteering, event hosting, international exposure, etc. If the price tag is affordable, it is an opportunity that wilol not come again. Anyways, according to my math, building any facilities in the future will only become more expnsive so it is best to do it now.

If I costs you 10 cents to buy a bullet , put it in a rifle and blow your out today, But that cost raises to 20 cents a bullet what would be your choice LOL. I get tried of playing for others peoples entertainment. If you have the demand there do it privately . Other wise

let the economy grow naturally. That is how a Stephen Harper, economist by trade views things.

jim jones

OK,OK,Ok, could someone on THIS SPECIFIC board at least TRY to convince me as to why halifax should be given the games? I don't see anything related to facilities, no graphic renderings of what the plans are, no photos of the ____ forsaken place, nothing. So on that basis, the games should go to AFRICA!

OK,OK,Ok, could someone on THIS SPECIFIC board at least TRY to convince me as to why halifax should be given the games? I don't see anything related to facilities, no graphic renderings of what the plans are, no photos of the ____ forsaken place, nothing. So on that basis, the games should go to AFRICA!

We cant post much in the way of renderings because theres so much secrecy behind the bid. Of course I havnt heard that much out of the other cities either, especially Abuja. IMO Abuja is probably the last place of the 3 cities that should get the games, but of course thats just my opinion.

If you want some photos of Halifax, I have a link here of some taken from a helipcopter. heres the link:

http://www.pbase.com/mucker/halifax

I can genrerally tell you that there are plans to have all the major facilities within walkin distance of the athletes village. The complete plans are expected to be released to the public in April/May, around the time when the bids are to be submitted.

The sports for chosen for the Halifax bid are: aquatics, athletics, basketball, boxing (men), badminton, cycling, gymnastics, hockey, lawn bowls, netball (women), rugby 7s (men), shooting, squash, table tennis, triathlon, weightlifting and wrestling.

Ruling Czar these Halifax 2014 bid committee people are making it up as they go along. You look at the size and cost of the athletes village from New Delhi and it looks to be about the size of Shannon park total. Halifax is so disorganized that they don't know the entire scope of the land they wish to be given by the federal government for the games park and what hidden factors may come with that. Is Shannon Park an environment time bomb waiting for a committee to open it up with excavation ???? Would the Feds either A. include the value of the land with the federal share or B. refuse to give the land on grounds of future federal use.

This shannon park site was kicked around for the domestic bid for 2010 yet no one investigated whether it was actually suitable or meet the needs in Four years??? Thatis especially stupid considering the Commonwealth games Association of Canada granted the bid to halifax on that selling point over Hamilton Who has actually built facilities in the last couple of decades.

Yes I am an obstructionist Because I see idiots running wild with 14 million dollars and not a clue between 15 overpaid brains.

The entire lot of them should be fired and we should turn the page in nova scotias history as utter studipity. Brownfield site equals cost overruns

Plain and simple. Brownfield sites bordered by commercial and higher end residential developements that you propose to buy equals More cost overruns , huge increases in the land value that you propose to buy and thus economic disaster if a government was stupid to follow the band of merry fools

jim jones

Did anyone see the cartoon in the WEEKLY EDITORIAL FRIDAY MARCH 2 2007: it has a homeless guy asking for money looking at NODDYRODDY at the NSLC sitting beside him with his hat out for donations.... PRICELESS.

and that is it in nutshell.....

I am confused though, I thought there was so much support in NS for the GAMES and how apropos that it should reflect poverty staring at NODDYRODDY .....thankfully my posts on poverty and the misappropriation of tax payers funds in NS, taken from the vulnerable and impoverished and given to the GAMES prebid spending and proposed bid for the GAMES was so on topic. ;)

Well considering the amount of secrecy in Halifax and the openess in Glasgow it is apparent what the business models are.

snipped for reading

Jim, I think this was first wrong footing, when HRM decided to be secretive. They placed themselves at a greater disadvantage when Glasgow decided to be ethical, tranparent and public. Then HRM defended their behaviour by saying they could not be public as not to give the opposing bidders an unfair advantage.......

I would like to point out that the violence in HRM was kept secret too by many including city council, mayor kelly and the NSpolice commission long before 2005 and the bid was placed.

In 2005 the seams busted and it bcame nation and world wide news. A city cannot become violent over night, even with fixed numbers they were most violent. WE need not look any further than this issue to see how and why HRM is so secretative about many things.

Archived