Halifax 2014 Commonwealth Games

sport1

Its too bad that the previous forum got out of control. Lets keep this forum as a debate about the merits of the 2014 bid. This should include perspectives from both sides. Lets just keep the arguements civil. Accuracy will always be an issue but this forum is for perpectives.

I look forward to Halifax hosting the Games providing the business model which will be released in the next few months makes sense. Has anyone seen the public releases of business plan for Abuja or Glasgow. My research indicates that no official document has been made public to date.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Its too bad that the previous forum got out of control. Lets keep this forum as a debate about the merits of the 2014 bid. This should include perspectives from both sides. Lets just keep the arguements civil. Accuracy will always be an issue but this forum is for perpectives.

I look forward to Halifax hosting the Games providing the business model which will be released in the next few months makes sense. Has anyone seen the public releases of business plan for Abuja or Glasgow. My research indicates that no official document has been made public to date.

Well considering the amount of secrecy in Halifax and the openess in Glasgow it is apparent what the business models are.

Halifax has done a terrible job of presenting any case. Economically it is totally without merit. I just want to ask you do you truly beleive that the games will be no more then 750 million dollars which the city of province cant afford without huge pain ?

It is a very simple question at that level. then the question comes what is the cut of point ad waht do yu actually think there is to gain???

I have seen too many times this go bad from places with much larger populations and much larger economic means.

jim jones

Yes..hopefully this tread can stay on track. I also look forward to whats going to come in the next few months. Its going to be a crucial time in the next while. Hopefully everything will go well because Halifax and all of Atlantic Canada really deserves these games.

Yes..hopefully this tread can stay on track. I also look forward to whats going to come in the next few months. Its going to be a crucial time in the next while. Hopefully everything will go well because Halifax and all of Atlantic Canada really deserves these games.

PLEASE halifax deserves them ????

Well considering the amount of secrecy in Halifax and the openess in Glasgow it is apparent what the business models are.

Halifax has done a terrible job of presenting any case. Economically it is totally without merit. I just want to ask you do you truly beleive that the games will be no more then 750 million dollars which the city of province cant afford without huge pain ?

It is a very simple question at that level. then the question comes what is the cut of point ad waht do yu actually think there is to gain???

I have seen too many times this go bad from places with much larger populations and much larger economic means.

jim jones

Please answer your own question. At what point is HRMs investment too much. Is it $300 million or is it it a % of infrastructure cost. To me, if we spend less then 50 cent dollars, I believe that it is a great deal for our city that we will never have a chance for again.

Please name the Games that you view were a failure. With the increasing financial costs of the London Games, public opionion is actually increasing (80%) for the Games. After being there last month, the support is very clear from the general public. Barcelona, Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Sydney, Turino, Melbourne, Salt Lake City and Manchester all have a strong legacy from their recent Games and a public pride in their place on the world stage. Which series of Games do you showcase as places where their is regret about hosting one of these events. Despite the finacial problems with financing the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, you will find the city views this as their emergence as a world city and few would not have choosen to host the Games again.

Please answer your own question. At what point is HRMs investment too much. Is it $300 million or is it it a % of infrastructure cost. To me, if we spend less then 50 cent dollars, I believe that it is a great deal for our city that we will never have a chance for again.

Please name the Games that you view were a failure. With the increasing financial costs of the London Games, public opionion is actually increasing (80%) for the Games. After being there last month, the support is very clear from the general public. Barcelona, Vancouver, Victoria, Calgary, Sydney, Turino, Melbourne, Salt Lake City and Manchester all have a strong legacy from their recent Games and a public pride in their place on the world stage. Which series of Games do you showcase as places where their is regret about hosting one of these events. Despite the finacial problems with financing the Olympic Stadium in Montreal, you will find the city views this as their emergence as a world city and few would not have choosen to host the Games again.

Oh dear...I fear that this is going to open a whole can of worms...eeek.

I think the biggest problem with any mega sporting event is the uncertainty which surrounds the success or failure of the event. Obviously if an event is successful (and typically this is viewed as being a financial success) then the impacts will be viewed in a positive manner. The problem is that this information is not known until after the event is over and the bill has been paid...it cannot be predicted with certainty.

Also, I think it is hard to confirm "legacy" effects - and by this I mean it is difficlult to confirm the extent to which a mega sporting event is responsible for increasing pride, activity levels amongst locals, tourism rates, and so forth. However, it is also difficult to prove otherwise. I read an article in the Chronicle Herald which cited a study into physical activity levels post Sydney Olympics. The study had found physical activity levels amongst residents did not increase in the months following the Games. However, I do not believe the study took into account the impact on children and their lifestyle choices in the years to come. At the age of nine, I took up figure skating following the Calgary Olympics in an attempt to be like Katarina Witt. I lasted 3 months, but the point is that I tried a new sport after being inspired by an amateur athlete.

I wouldn't exactly say Glasgow is being open and transparent. For anyone living in the city, I think the venue choices are fairly obvious. I think if they (Glasgow) were in the same situation as Halifax (ie. having to build all new facilities) you wouldn't see them releasing any more information than what Halifax has done. From what I have seen here in Scotland, there hasn't been much opposition or negative press...this isn't due to the bid being "open"....every entity which has influence over the public (especially the media) supports the bid, so all the public ever hears is positive information.

Well politely you are very delusional about how Montrealers feel about hosting another games. I think if the mayor actually seriously forward an olympic bid the citizens would hang his ass from the nearest lamp post or have him committed to a mental hospital. Montreal Ecomony was gutted thanks to the olympics as the taxes drove people and businesses out.

The failures are ones that don't make real profits. Calgary made a real profit as did Los Angeles and that is about it. Those two games are aberrations in sport festival games history. You actually believe that Londoners support the possibility of a good portion of 20 billion Canadian being put on their backs in local taxes ??? Come on now whos relative did Sebastan Coe have to do that survey?????

I give a rats behind about providing anything to any athlete but a wage fitting for performance and REASONABLE facilities . 1200 dollars a month in canada for a top tier amateur athlete is disgraceful. 1200 a month should be the bare minimum not the top tier. Scott Logan's salary would pay for what 10 high performance amateur athletes in Canada at the current deplorable rate ??? The money behind a bid and the sports bureaucracy is better spent on the actually subjects of all this the local athletes themselves and that would be maybe 5 percent of what is spent on capital costs for these events.

At the same time you have the deluded vision that somehow Halifax is a better environment for Black Athletes, who are the majority, to come to for a commonwealth games???

You should speak with Kirk Johnson , World ranked Heavyweight boxer ,1992 Barcelona Olympian, from North Preston, Nova Scotia on how he was treated by Halifax's finest. Any Black athletes on the Halifax committee ? Donovan Bailey was on the Hamilton 2010 committee .

I have examined and followed the debate for a while and one of Fred Mac Gillivray's selling point to the Jersey Commonwealth Games Association was something about better performance would be in Halifax because of a sea level location ???? Wow Fred is really grasping at straws with totally baseless point to sell the city.

Melbourne is at sea level too yet Asafa Powell, World record holder , as the gold medalist in the CWG 2006 100 meters recorded a 10.03. Compare his time to the progression of world record times and 10.03 would only be a world record last in 1935. Jesse Owens ran faster qualifying for the Berlin, Olympics in 1936.

That time would tie Asafa Powell for the bronze in the same event in the All-African Games of 2003 held at 343 meters elevation. Asafa Powell has set his shared current world record three times in the last two years at 9.77 and once was at a higher elevation then Abuja Nigeria. Get I wounder what he elevation of ZURICH Switzerland is ???? 452 meters above sea level. And Before your baseless theories of Africa being too hot for performance athletics to happen . Justin Gatlin shares the world record for the 100 metres with Asafa Powell which Justin set on May 12 , 2006 in Doha,Qatar .

This is now deluded people have become listening to the band of games lobbists in Metro , The commonwealth games is a nothing event that no one in the sports world takes seriously including some of the athletes on the ground. This is what we would risk a province and cities finances on . a province and city that are two of the most in-debted places per capita on the entire North American continent LOL. The thing that might influence times on the commonwealth games athletics field in Halifax might be prevailing winds from the Harbour and the hot air coming from Fast Freddies mouth.

Considering Fred thinks sea level elevation is a selling point and Glasgow 28 feet max above sea level we can see who Fred feels the Front runner to win the bid really is. Does Abuja ring a bell Freddie ROTFLMAO.

jim jones

Well politely you are very delusional about how Montrealers feel about hosting another games. I think if the mayor actually seriously forward an olympic bid the citizens would hang his ass from the nearest lamp post or have him committed to a mental hospital. Montreal Ecomony was gutted thanks to the olympics as the taxes drove people and businesses out.

The failures are ones that don't make real profits. Calgary made a real profit as did Los Angeles and that is about it. Those two games are aberrations in sport festival games history. You actually believe that Londoners support the possibility of a good portion of 20 billion Canadian being put on their backs in local taxes ??? Come on now whos relative did Sebastan Coe have to do that survey?????

I give a rats behind about providing anything to any athlete but a wage fitting for performance and REASONABLE facilities . 1200 dollars a month in canada for a top tier amateur athlete is disgraceful. 1200 a month should be the bare minimum not the top tier. Scott Logan's salary would pay for what 10 high performance amateur athletes in Canada at the current deplorable rate ??? The money behind a bid and the sports bureaucracy is better spent on the actually subjects of all this the local athletes themselves and that would be maybe 5 percent of what is spent on capital costs for these events.

At the same time you have the deluded vision that somehow Halifax is a better environment for Black Athletes, who are the majority, to come to for a commonwealth games???

You should speak with Kirk Johnson , World ranked Heavyweight boxer ,1992 Barcelona Olympian, from North Preston, Nova Scotia on how he was treated by Halifax's finest. Any Black athletes on the Halifax committee ? Donovan Bailey was on the Hamilton 2010 committee .

I have examined and followed the debate for a while and one of Fred Mac Gillivray's selling point to the Jersey Commonwealth Games Association was something about better performance would be in Halifax because of a sea level location ???? Wow Fred is really grasping at straws with totally baseless point to sell the city.

Melbourne is at sea level too yet Asafa Powell, World record holder , as the gold medalist in the CWG 2006 100 meters recorded a 10.03. Compare his time to the progression of world record times and 10.03 would only be a world record last in 1935. Jesse Owens ran faster qualifying for the Berlin, Olympics in 1936.

That time would tie Asafa Powell for the bronze in the same event in the All-African Games of 2003 held at 343 meters elevation. Asafa Powell has set his shared current world record three times in the last two years at 9.77 and once was at a higher elevation then Abuja Nigeria. Get I wounder what he elevation of ZURICH Switzerland is ???? 452 meters above sea level. And Before your baseless theories of Africa being too hot for performance athletics to happen . Justin Gatlin shares the world record for the 100 metres with Asafa Powell which Justin set on May 12 , 2006 in Doha,Qatar .

This is now deluded people have become listening to the band of games lobbists in Metro , The commonwealth games is a nothing event that no one in the sports world takes seriously including some of the athletes on the ground. This is what we would risk a province and cities finances on . a province and city that are two of the most in-debted places per capita on the entire North American continent LOL. The thing that might influence times on the commonwealth games athletics field in Halifax might be prevailing winds from the Harbour and the hot air coming from Fast Freddies mouth.

Considering Fred thinks sea level elevation is a selling point and Glasgow 28 feet max above sea level we can see who Fred feels the Front runner to win the bid really is. Does Abuja ring a bell Freddie ROTFLMAO.

jim jones

I see you didn't have an answer for that one. Couldn't make up figures fast enough?

I see you didn't have an answer for that one. Couldn't make up figures fast enough?

How ABOUT ZERO dollars is too much to risk on the fantasy wims of a dozen people in the HRM. We have more important things to attend to then freddie mac gillivrays delusional dreams of having a CFL team at the taxpayers expense.

There the answer LOL.

jim jones

jim jones

Well it is good to see that you have an open mind. In case you are not aware Montreal is going to aggressively bid for the 2015 Pan American Games as well as a variety of other major sporting events as part of a new strategy. They are very much in the hosting mode in the future. As far as Powell, you knwo that he was just returning from injury so setting a WR was never a consideration in Melbourne.

Your understanding optimal conditions is incorrect because you believe that Doha and Abuja have any similarities. It is humidity not heat I am refering to. I have never distinguished between any ethnic group in terms of athletes from the Commonwealth. I will not have a discussion about race in terms of performance level. I am not sure why you insist on these types of racial observations.

jim jones

Well it is good to see that you have an open mind. In case you are not aware Montreal is going to aggressively bid for the 2015 Pan American Games as well as a variety of other major sporting events as part of a new strategy. They are very much in the hosting mode in the future. As far as Powell, you knwo that he was just returning from injury so setting a WR was never a consideration in Melbourne.

Your understanding optimal conditions is incorrect because you believe that Doha and Abuja have any similarities. It is humidity not heat I am refering to. I have never distinguished between any ethnic group in terms of athletes from the Commonwealth. I will not have a discussion about race in terms of performance level. I am not sure why you insist on these types of racial observations.

The amount for carded athletes is 1500 per month tax free plus many recive funding from 4 different funds established through sponsors of Vancouver 2010. This needs to be more but is better than 5 of the other G8 countries. What is lacking in Canada is corporate support. I agree better funding for athletes and coaches is required. Great Britain, Australia, Greece and the US all increased spending levels as a result of hosting Games. The same is happening with winter sports in Canada from 2010. You do not hear about underfunding of our winter athletes anymore.

What should Halifax pursue if not these Games. There will be no other chance to get facilities for 50 cent dollars for another 40 years. I believe our city will need all of these facilities before that timeline. Can JJ provide ideas or just selective internet research. I am definitely open to see what other events we shoudl try to attract to our city to help it grow.

The sea-level point is quite a pertinent one actually. Not just in terms of performance but in terms of the arthletes health and well-being. Events held at high altitude will favour athletes who are competing in short "explosive" events _ things like long jump, high jump, pole vault etc, but are very dangerous because of thinner oxygen in the atmosphere for athletes competing in long distance and endurance events, unless they are acclimitised to it (one of the reasons Kenyans, Moroccans and Ethiopians excell at distance events is they are naturally accimiltised in their homelands to high altitude performance). Anyone from sea-level countries who has visited high altitude locations like Macchu Pichu or Mt Kilamonjaro would know what a curse "altitude sickness" is.

Mexico 1968 was the perfect example. The thin air at the city's altutude helped create the conditions for amazing records like Bob Beamnon's decades long long jump record. But it almost caused the death of some athletes in long distance events. Ron Clarke, for example, widely considered the best long distance runner NEVER to win Olympic gold and who was a dominant athlete in the 1960s, attributes his ongoing heart problems to the strain of competing in Mexico City's thin atmosphere. There were many warnings before the Mexico Games that there was a big risk that athletes could die from the conditions.

The sea-level point is quite a pertinent one actually. Not just in terms of performance but in terms of the arthletes health and well-being. Events held at high altitude will favour athletes who are competing in short "explosive" events _ things like long jump, high jump, pole vault etc, but are very dangerous because of thinner oxygen in the atmosphere for athletes competing in long distance and endurance events, unless they are acclimitised to it (one of the reasons Kenyans, Moroccans and Ethiopians excell at distance events is they are naturally accimiltised in their homelands to high altitude performance). Anyone from sea-level countries who has visited high altitude locations like Macchu Pichu or Mt Kilamonjaro would know what a curse "altitude sickness" is.

Mexico 1968 was the perfect example. The thin air at the city's altutude helped create the conditions for amazing records like Bob Beamnon's decades long long jump record. But it almost caused the death of some athletes in long distance events. Ron Clarke, for example, widely considered the best long distance runner NEVER to win Olympic gold and who was a dominant athlete in the 1960s, attributes his ongoing heart problems to the strain of competing in Mexico City's thin atmosphere. There were many warnings before the Mexico Games that there was a big risk that athletes could die from the conditions.

But roltel have you ever heard of some citing that as a reason to pick a place over another with a difference of 1200 feet in elevation? Mexico city is about 7400 feet above sea level. All long track speed skating world records are now at higher elevations then Abuja Nigeria. Calgary is 1048 metres above sea level and slat lake city is 1340 metres about sea level. 342 metres elevation is very minor compared with mexico city at 2200 metres.

Yes Mac Gillivray showed his hand with that one. He seems to beleve Abuja is the front runner. Why would that be , The feedback they are getting on their trips????

Munich Germany is actually higher in elevation then Abuja at 415 metre for the lowest point. Did we hear any body use that type of theory against munich

It points to halifaxs desperation really.

jim jones

But roltel have you ever heard of some citing that as a reason to pick a place over another with a difference of 1200 feet in elevation? Mexico city is about 7400 feet above sea level. All long track speed skating world records are now at higher elevations then Abuja Nigeria. Calgary is 1048 metres above sea level and slat lake city is 1340 metres about sea level. 342 metres elevation is very minor compared with mexico city at 2200 metres.

Yes Mac Gillivray showed his hand with that one. He seems to beleve Abuja is the front runner. Why would that be , The feedback they are getting on their trips????

Munich Germany is actually higher in elevation then Abuja at 415 metre for the lowest point. Did we hear any body use that type of theory against munich

It points to halifaxs desperation really.

jim jones

I think every point needs to be brought up for consideration, especially anything that can affect the performance of the athletes.

Considering the elevation of Abuja is 342m and Halifax is virtually sea level, it should probably be something to be addressed.

I think every point needs to be brought up for consideration, especially anything that can affect the performance of the athletes.

Considering the elevation of Abuja is 342m and Halifax is virtually sea level, it should probably be something to be addressed.

I think that is a valid point when your talking about the performance of Athletes.

342 metres is really nothing COME ON NOW. Munich is higher, Atlanta is from 225 to 320 metres elevation. How about talking of the effects of salt air to the competition in Halifax or a Emera power plant raining SO2 and CO2 on Shannon Park ?? Then there is the presence of prevailing winds and fog that rolls in every evening in the summer. An athlete died in Doha for the 2006 Asian Games for Equestrian event for her horse failing over on her on wet grass due to local conditions.

Oh and too the theory it was powells injury sure that might be the case but I set a trap for you with that statement because all speed events at the melbourne games for results would have the gold medal winner in third place or poorer in the 2003 addition of the all-african games in abuja. Funny you would think with a larger more diverse and better funded set of athletes coming for the old commonwealth that it would not be the case. Before we go on to another excuse of why the commonwealth games in 2006 did not match the 2003 all african games it was the commonwealth countries of africa that won those events one, two, three .

The non- commonwealth teams came into the medals with the middle distances for the most part. The african commonwealth nations made up 40 percent of the nations for the all african games yet they won 63 percent of the events for athletics.

Another footnote about elevation is that Atlanta is still the place that has the world record for the 200 meters and the 400 metres set by Michael Johnson. Those records stand today 11 YEARS latter.

The Excuses of why Abuja should not have the games get defeated every time I post some new info here. Here is my latest. a report for Class 1 and Class 2 IAAF facilities worldwide

dated Febuary 1st 2007. http://209.85.165.104/search?q=cache:Dy4FD...=clnk&cd=17

Of the 54 Class one facilities worldwide Abuja seems to be the only 2014 commonwealth games Biding city to have the required facility.

Halifax of course doesn't have a stadium and Hampden Park is not even a Class Two IAAF Facility.

considering that we have a HRM city councillor now saying he will vote against the City's funding of the games if the price rises above 785 million dollars as was

sold to the public by the committee you can kiss the commonwealth games good bye Halifax SEA LEVEL location or not ROTFLMAO @ Fast FREDDIE .

jim jones

The amount for carded athletes is 1500 per month tax free plus many recive funding from 4 different funds established through sponsors of Vancouver 2010. This needs to be more but is better than 5 of the other G8 countries. What is lacking in Canada is corporate support. I agree better funding for athletes and coaches is required. Great Britain, Australia, Greece and the US all increased spending levels as a result of hosting Games. The same is happening with winter sports in Canada from 2010. You do not hear about underfunding of our winter athletes anymore.

What should Halifax pursue if not these Games. There will be no other chance to get facilities for 50 cent dollars for another 40 years. I believe our city will need all of these facilities before that timeline. Can JJ provide ideas or just selective internet research. I am definitely open to see what other events we shoudl try to attract to our city to help it grow.

Good lord I cant believe my ears did you say Corporate support is lacking for Amatuer athletics in Canada ??? Let me think here RBC an Olympic supporter, Hudson Bay company a supporter for the entire canadain team for the commonwealth games , that is way more then the english team got from their homeland LOL. RONA , Home Depot, Tim Hortons, West Jet , Petro Canada. BMO for figure skating. If it wasnt for these corporations the amatuer sports community would be much poorer. I like how a Tim hortons will adopt a sport like cycling and Westjet adopts Alpine sking.

Halifax absolutely does not need any new facilites to fall into the disrepair that Beazley Field did with a Health Department closing the doors on the field house there.

The city can't even keep care of a grandstand for 2000 people let alone a stadium for 25000, an aquatic centre and a Practice facility for the CFL team.

You will get yuor filed house in the north commons park in clayton park and that is about it.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/561282.html

with a councillor now basically saying that they were lead to believe the cost would only be 785 million the curtain is closing on the commonwealth games bid in halifax.

jim jones

Actually, fair enough Jim, 342m is nothing to be concerned about _ I doubt anyone would get altitude sickness at that height.

I just figured that seeing the point was made, it must have been a factor and that Abuja had to be higher.

Good lord I cant believe my ears did you say Corporate support is lacking for Amatuer athletics in Canada ??? Let me think here RBC an Olympic supporter, Hudson Bay company a supporter for the entire canadain team for the commonwealth games , that is way more then the english team got from their homeland LOL. RONA , Home Depot, Tim Hortons, West Jet , Petro Canada. BMO for figure skating. If it wasnt for these corporations the amatuer sports community would be much poorer. I like how a Tim hortons will adopt a sport like cycling and Westjet adopts Alpine sking.

Halifax absolutely does not need any new facilites to fall into the disrepair that Beazley Field did with a Health Department closing the doors on the field house there.

The city can't even keep care of a grandstand for 2000 people let alone a stadium for 25000, an aquatic centre and a Practice facility for the CFL team.

You will get yuor filed house in the north commons park in clayton park and that is about it.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/561282.html

with a councillor now basically saying that they were lead to believe the cost would only be 785 million the curtain is closing on the commonwealth games bid in halifax.

jim jones

Almost all of the sponsors that you mentioned are onboard as a direct result of the 2010 Vancouver Games. I would say that this is clear evidence of the impact of Games on the opportunities for athletes. The question for all of these programs is will they exist after 2012 when the contracts expire. They are contributing over $55 million over the 6 year period with many other companies doing gorilla marketing. I appreciate you identifying these Games supporters and certainly it points to the importance of hosting. What Canada lacks is long-term sponsors who support elements of programs required for success such as coaching.

Before you go crazy, I know that the attraction for a Commonwealth Games will be considerably less than Vancouver but there will be oppotunity because it is the only summer sport event in Canada over the next decade. HBC is already a Commonwealth Games sponsor and would likely play a key role into 2014 for Halifax.

I have heard most councillors say that they are waiting for the final details and are interested more in the city share than the overall budget for the Games. I guess we all will know in the next few weeks.

I am still waiting for you to suggest what our city should pursue to move to the facility base that a city of 500,000 will need in 2015. I feel we will need an entertainment stadium, more indoor court space, an aquatics centre and certainly upgrades or replacement to many field across HRM. If we get these for 50 cent dollars, any reasonable business man would say yes.

I do not mind the contrary view of the Games but I hate the lack of vision for what our community should do.

Bring on The Games!

Actually, fair enough Jim, 342m is nothing to be concerned about _ I doubt anyone would get altitude sickness at that height.

I just figured that seeing the point was made, it must have been a factor and that Abuja had to be higher.

That why I posed the question to you roltel because despite of differing views on the olympics in regards to the idea of whether they will go to africa and south america , I do find your information informed of course. I know altitude does play a role a location like mexico city but an abuja at the 342 is not a big deal. we do have plenty of prior experience with Atlanta and Munich .

The reason speed skating is fastest at altitude in regards to calgary and salt lake is that the pressure difference forms better ice then at sea level.

I find that it would certainly be a desperate grasp at straws if that was fast freddie intension . It is also a disservice to Glasgow because what he could be saying is that Glasgow is not a factor in his mind because Halifax and Glasgow are basically at sea level.

I think Fred talks the talk but does not walk the walk .

jim jones

Almost all of the sponsors that you mentioned are onboard as a direct result of the 2010 Vancouver Games. I would say that this is clear evidence of the impact of Games on the opportunities for athletes. The question for all of these programs is will they exist after 2012 when the contracts expire. They are contributing over $55 million over the 6 year period with many other companies doing gorilla marketing. I appreciate you identifying these Games supporters and certainly it points to the importance of hosting. What Canada lacks is long-term sponsors who support elements of programs required for success such as coaching.

Before you go crazy, I know that the attraction for a Commonwealth Games will be considerably less than Vancouver but there will be oppotunity because it is the only summer sport event in Canada over the next decade. HBC is already a Commonwealth Games sponsor and would likely play a key role into 2014 for Halifax.

I have heard most councillors say that they are waiting for the final details and are interested more in the city share than the overall budget for the Games. I guess we all will know in the next few weeks.

I am still waiting for you to suggest what our city should pursue to move to the facility base that a city of 500,000 will need in 2015. I feel we will need an entertainment stadium, more indoor court space, an aquatics centre and certainly upgrades or replacement to many field across HRM. If we get these for 50 cent dollars, any reasonable business man would say yes.

I do not mind the contrary view of the Games but I hate the lack of vision for what our community should do.

Bring on The Games!

The vision I see is a vision of panhandling inside a liquor commission for so called corporate sponsorship.

HBC is supporting the ATHLETES not the GAMES in Halifax. The Committee would be having a field day and a photo op on that one beleive me . And whats this about montreal wanting to host the pan am games in 2015 ???? I cant find one single thing

Please the Pan Am are going to montreal and halifax will be 500,000 people in 2015 . IN your dreams.

jim jones

The vision I see is a vision of panhandling inside a liquor commission for so called corporate sponsorship.

HBC is supporting the ATHLETES not the GAMES in Halifax. The Committee would be having a field day and a photo op on that one beleive me . And whats this about montreal wanting to host the pan am games in 2015 ???? I cant find one single thing

Please the Pan Am are going to montreal and halifax will be 500,000 people in 2015 . IN your dreams.

jim jones

You are obviously avoiding the comment about the financial benefit that the 2010 Games are bringing to athletes. HBC is a longtime supporter of Commonwealth Games Canada because of their belief in these Games. I am not sure of the details of their relationship and whether the Halifax bid is already recieving support via the national organization.

Once again, what is your vision? It is easy to be critical and not easy to have a vision.

Archived