Us To Bid For Wc 2018

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah, except 2018 is kinda being reserved for North America...

Yeah, if they keep the rotational system in place and 2018 is going to North America (CONCACAF) then it looks very likely the USA will get their 2nd World Cup. I was very skeptical about it over the past year but now I've come to accept it. :P Kind of sucks for England since they would put forth an excellent bid.

Come to accept it? Why? Nobody knows whether FIFA will decide to continue rotation yet. If they decide against, then the England bid is very much still alive.

Come to accept it? Why? Nobody knows whether FIFA will decide to continue rotation yet. If they decide against, then the England bid is very much still alive.

Yes, but if they decide to keep the rotational system intact than I won't be asking for someone's head on a platter because the USA will more than likely host another World Cup. I personally wouldn't mind, hell even my country may put forth a bid. ;) I never did say an England bid was dead at the moment so there's no need to get defensive.

I think Rob was just pointing out that the very question of whether this unbalanced, unfair rotation system is going to be continued for 2018 is only going to be decided by the Executive Committee later this year.

Moreover, as Europeans make up one third of that committee, it certainly doesn't make the matter a foregone conclusion, either way.

I think Rob was just pointing out that the very question of whether this unbalanced, unfair rotation system is going to be continued for 2018 is only going to be decided by the Executive Committee later this year.

Moreover, as Europeans make up one third of that committee, it certainly doesn't make the matter a foregone conclusion, either way.

Well, one third. There are still the other 2/3rds to override those Euro-centric minds. :P

Much can happen between now and December. It only takes another six votes. And any fool can see rotation in its current form is insane.

No; not really. Why are you so close-minded? Think outside the box, arwebb. It's good for the soul!

A vote for rotation and for CONCACAF will hand the USA their second world cup on a platter, everyone knows that and therefore this vote is effectively a referendum on whether the USA should host 2018.

A vote against rotation is in effect a vote against the USA hosting in 2018.

When you look at it that way, it's not just the European members that may vote against rotation but also any member that:

a. Really doesn't want the World Cup in the US again so soon

OR

b. Wants their nation or confederation to host 2018.

OR

c. Simply wants to see a contest for 2018, not a coronation.

Now, I don't know anything about the personal agendas of the members, but:

10 European members (who may favour England or Spain) +

6 members from Asia and the middle East (who may favour China or Australia) = 16 out of 26 who could vote against rotation.

---------------------------------

A vote for rotation would kill an England bid whereas a vote against rotation would still allow the USA to bid, granted. However, given that the vote later this year can be seen partly as a referendum on the USA's chances, if rotation is not continued, the US hopes will have sustained a big knock.

And the numbers suggest to me that the US should be just as worried about the upcoming vote.

And the numbers suggest to me that the US should be just as worried about the upcoming vote.

Can't argue with your analysis, Rob -- which is why the US is hoping Brazil will stumble and we can step in. That is really our best, immediate chance rather than waiting for an open bid for 2018. And hearing at how they are scrambling for the Pan Ams, I think there's still a good chance for the US to do 2014 rather than a 2018. The next few months will tell.

An excellent analysis there, Rob. I don't think there's any question America's best chance is if Brazil can't front up for 2014 (a la Mexico 1986), but the question of rotation would still remain as far as 2018 was concerned. If 2014 goes to the US if Brazil doesn't front up, does 2018 then go to Asia and 2022 back to Europe??

Archived