Fina -> 12th World Championships

Are they talking about the jellyfish? _ it has been a huge problem, apparently. I would not have thought they would be a problem at this time of year, especially as far south as Melbourne, but there's no denying they've been a negative for the open water comp.

Oh, yeah. That is what I have forgotten to comment on. I was watching a BBC news highlight about this event and I'm going, "What? These ladies are swimming in there with all that jellyfish and the like?" :o Man, I hope Rome won't have generally this kind of problem two years from now.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A technical team synchronizing swimming results, before the free routine portion of the competition.

1. Russia

2. Japan

3. Spain

Well, it seems that the "old powers" have given way to the likes of Russia here.

Also, here are more final results.

Men's 1m Springboard Diving:

1. Yutong LUO (China) -> 477.40 points

2. Chong HE (China) -> 469.85 points

3. Christopher Sacchin (Italy) -> 441.40 points

No Canadian man in the final.

Women's 10m Platform Diving:

1. Xin WANG (China) -> 432.85 points

2. Ruolin CHEN (China) -> 410.30 points

3. Christin Steuer (Germany) -> 396.85 points

Top Canadian: Emilie Heymans placed 5th with 346.05 points.

No surprise so far, when it comes to the Chinese diving team.

Men's 10km OPEN WATER:

1. Vladamir Dyatchin (Russia) -> 1:55:32.52

2. Thomas Lurz (Germany) -> 1:55:32.58

3. Evgeny Drattsev (Russia) -> 1:55:47.31

Top Canadian: David Creel placed 25th with the time of 1:56:41.89

Virginie Dedieu of France won her fifth world championship title, this time in synchronized swimming's Solo Freestyle competition (the contest is divided into two medal events: a technical and a freestyle), and now she's back into retirement. You know what's really sad about that? She has been the most dominant solo synchronized swimmer of recent times, and yet she will never have an Olympic medal, and not for lack of trying. They canned the solo event after the debacle in Barcelona.

Virginie Dedieu of France won her fifth world championship title, this time in synchronized swimming's Solo Freestyle competition (the contest is divided into two medal events: a technical and a freestyle), and now she's back into retirement. You know what's really sad about that? She has been the most dominant solo synchronized swimmer of recent times, and yet she will never have an Olympic medal, and not for lack of trying. They canned the solo event after the debacle in Barcelona.

What exactly happened in Barcelona?

What exactly happened in Barcelona?

I think it was the Sylvie Frachette (sp?) (Canada) affair, when one of the judges placed a wrong score and wanted to change it. However, the original score was used and she was denied the gold medal then. About 3 years after that fact, she was then given the gold medal in Montreal.

Final result of the Solo Synchronized Swimming event.

1. Virginie Dedieu (France) -> 99.500 points

2. Natalia Ischenko (Russia) -> 98.500 points

3. Gemma Mengual Civil (Spain) -> 98.000 points

Final result of the Solo Synchronized Swimming event.

1. Virginie Dedieu (France) -> 99.500 points

2. Natalia Ischenko (Russia) -> 98.500 points

3. Gemma Mengual Civil (Spain) -> 98.000 points

But if I understood correctly, these are not the overall results of the solo event but only the results of the solo free routine. That's important since at these World Championships, FINA introduced the practice of awarding separate medals for the technical and free routines of each event (apart from the combination event). Also see my last posting above.

But if I understood correctly, these are not the overall results of the solo event but only the results of the solo free routine. That's important since at these World Championships, FINA introduced the practice of awarding separate medals for the technical and free routines of each event (apart from the combination event). Also see my last posting above.

Uh, it is the overall result and the technical routine was already taken into account with that free routine result. So, Didieu of France is the solo synchronized swimming world champion.

Uh, it is the overall result and the technical routine was already taken into account with that free routine result. So, Didieu of France is the solo synchronized swimming world champion.

How can Virginie Dedieu be the overall solo synchronised swimming world champion if she didn't take part in the solo technical final but only in the solo free routine final?

I'm at a loss a bit here, but it seems that they are now separate events, which kind of escapes me because I remembered the "old system" of having combined scores. I don't think it was the case before, when it became an Olympic sport back around 1984 I believe. Anyway, more final results here.

Duet Free Routine Synchronized Swimming:

1. Russia (Anastasia Davydova & Anastasia Ermakova) -> 99.333 points

2. Spain (Gemma Mengual Civil & Paola Tirados Sanchez) -> 97.667 points

3. Japan (Ayako Matsumura & Emiko Suzuki) -> 97.333 points

Women's 1m Springboard Diving:

1. He Zi (China) -> 316.65 points

2. Blythe Hartley (Canada) -> 311.20 points

3. Yuliya Pakhalina (Russia) -> 304.60

Men's 3m Springboard Diving:

1. Kai QIN (China) -> 545.35 points

2. Alexandre Despatie (Canada) -> 518.65 points

3. Dmitry Sautin (Russia) -> 517.10 points

It's frightening to see that the Chinese have won (with still 4 of 10 diving events to go) more gold medals (6) than in Montreal (5) and Barcelona (4) already now. Are they trying to achieve a full sweep and get also the four remaining gold medals? I think that, in consideration of that situation, it's an absolutely realistic perspective for Beijing 2008 that China will be on top of the medal table.

It's frightening to see that the Chinese have won (with still 4 of 10 diving events to go) more gold medals (6) than in Montreal (5) and Barcelona (4) already now. Are they trying to achieve a full sweep and get also the four remaining gold medals? I think that, in consideration of that situation, it's an absolutely realistic perspective for Beijing 2008 that China will be on top of the medal table.

i agree! Wonder how they will go in the swimming?

Hmm, when do the main swimming events begin?

I think the preliminaries are already underway. When I made my last "final results" post there, the official OMEGA website already highlighted some of the starting lists for the various swimming events. This is where the final medal standings will change drastically, when the Australians and Americans get themselves in that pool. Of course, with Russia having the most medals so far, it will be interesting if that team retains the spot overall.

As for the 2011 bids, it is a showdown between Doha, Qatar (host city of the 2006 Asian Games) versus Shanghai, China, for the honor. That decision will come on March 24, during Melbourne 2007. Good luck to all swimmers in this event. If I'm correct, it could be an Olympic-qualifying event to some national teams.

As you guys were saying earlier about the other contenders? It seems what I typed here at the beginning seemed to be right all along. Those other bids were not even considered! Now that Shanghai has the honors now to host the 2011 FINA World Championships, the Chinese run of international sporting events continues on.

ch-lgflag.gif

As you guys were saying earlier about the other contenders? It seems what I typed here at the beginning seemed to be right all along. Those other bids were not even considered!

Calm down. You know that the reports about the bids in the race were pretty contradictory and thus it was not 100% certain which cities were still in the race and which ones were not.

Calm down. You know that the reports about the bids in the race were pretty contradictory and thus it was not 100% certain which cities were still in the race and which ones were not.

This January 15th FINA press release was rather clear:

Doha and Shangai bid for 2011

Only Doha and Shangai were remaining in the race after the other interested cities hadn't confirmed their interest.

This January 15th FINA press release was rather clear:

Doha and Shangai bid for 2011

Only Doha and Shangai were remaining in the race after the other interested cities hadn't confirmed their interest.

Yes, but if you look at page 2 of this topic, you'll see that there were also reports on the web claiming that the other cities were still in the race. Back then, the FINA press release could also be interpreted that also Doha and Shanghai had confirmed their bid, thus joining the other cities in the race. The press release just didn't state expressis verbis that the other cities had retracted their bids.

So, the bigger question comes to my mind. Why was only Doha and Shanghai chosen in the first place as finalists? I don't think "inferior venues" was the case, with the other potential contenders. There has to be more of a bigger picture here than what is officially known or seen.

So, the bigger question comes to my mind. Why was only Doha and Shanghai chosen in the first place as finalists? I don't think "inferior venues" was the case, with the other potential contenders. There has to be more of a bigger picture here than what is officially known or seen.

I don't know. FINA obviously has certain secrets -- as you can also see in today's press release about Shanghai's victory: Why the hell don't they also announce the distribution of votes in the election? Do they think that this isn't of interest? Or are they simply not very talkative, for some reason?

Archived