Fina -> 12th World Championships

I can't believe it, its completely and utterly impossible that a Canadian not only won a medal, but won a gold medal. WTF, this ain't right, this is only the 3 gold at the WCH level (after Victor Davis and some other guy) and tenth gold medal in major competition. :o:P:o:lol:

BTW the Canadian tied with an Italian

And lest I be churlish, an amazing result there too. Good to see a Canuck up there on top of the podium in swimming.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, the water polo news. As of right now, the final teams for the women's event is going to be the home Australian team versus the American team. For third place, it will be the Russians versus the Hungarians. As for the men's side, the semi-finalist matches are: Serbia versus Croatia and Spain versus Hungary.

Now, some more of the swimming results.

Women's 50m Backstroke:

1. Leila Vaziri (USA) -> 28.16 sec (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Aliaksandra Herasimenia (Belarus) -> 28.46 sec

3. Tayliah Zimmer (AUSTRALIA) -> 28.50 sec

No Canadian in the final.

Men's 100m Freestyle:

1. (tie) Filippo Magnini (Italy) -> 48.43 sec

1. (tie) Brent Hayden (Canada) -> 48.43 sec

3. Eamon Sullivan (AUSTRALIA) -> 48.47 sec

Link: CBC: Canadian Wins Gold At World Aquatic Championships

hayden-brent070329getty.jpg

Women's 200m Butterfly:

1. Jessicah Schipper (AUSTRALIA) -> 2:06.39

2. Kimberly Vandenberg (USA) -> 2:06.71

3. Otylia Jedrzejczak (Poland) -> 2:06.90

Canada's Audrey Lacroix placed FIFTH with the time of 2:07.73

Men's 200m Individual Medley:

1. Michael Phelps (USA) -> 1:54.98 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Ryan Lochte (USA) -> 1:56.19

3. Laszio Cseh (Hungary) -> 1:56.92

Canada's Brian Johns placed FIFTH with the time of 1:59.46

Women's 4X200m Freestyle:

1. USA (Natalie Coughlin, Dana Vollmer, Lacey Nymeyer and Katie Hoff) -> 7:50.09 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Germany (Meike Freitag, Britta Steffen, Petra Dallmann and Annika Lurz) -> 7:53.82

3. France (Alena Popchanka, Sophie Huber, Aurore Mongel and Laure Manaudou) -> 7:55.96

No Canadian team in the final.

I just want to say, that I am going to the swimming tonight. I have already gone to see the Water polo and that was great as well. What I have seen so far is just amazing. Sure the Aussies have not won as many golds as we are used to with the Americans blitzing virtually everywhere, but to see Phelps swim is just amazing. ... he kills that red line in the pool everytime.

It is interesting to note that Aussies have had a higer appreciation of his feats to date than most Americans... because we are sports nuts. I heard that the championships have not been picked up by a mainstream television network and that is why channel nine here is getting all those interviews with Phelps and co.

For the last decade Australia and the US have been virtually equal in performances, but now a new breed of American stars have hit the pool.... well there are almost 300 million vs just over 20 million in Aus.

Despite some negative press, these championships are just awsome simply for the performances... and that is what all championships are about.... the sport.

As for the negative press about crowd numbers, every night the stands look packed. With nearly 14,000 seating capacity this is very large for a swim venue... if not the largest in recent memory.

I would like to see what the ticket sales will show as compared to other championships. I bet MElbourne is up there as one of the most succesful.

This has capped off an amazing month in Melbourne, with the F1 Grand Prix, the International Airshow and now the Fina World Championships... and now for the main event for most Melburninans... Aussie Rules Football.... can't wait it all starts tonight.

I love this town.

I just want to say, that I am going to the swimming tonight. I have already gone to see the Water polo and that was great as well. What I have seen so far is just amazing. Sure the Aussies have not won as many golds as we are used to with the Americans blitzing virtually everywhere, but to see Phelps swim is just amazing. ... he kills that red line in the pool everytime.

It is interesting to note that Aussies have had a higer appreciation of his feats to date than most Americans... because we are sports nuts. I heard that the championships have not been picked up by a mainstream television network and that is why channel nine here is getting all those interviews with Phelps and co.

For the last decade Australia and the US have been virtually equal in performances, but now a new breed of American stars have hit the pool.... well there are almost 300 million vs just over 20 million in Aus.

Despite some negative press, these championships are just awsome simply for the performances... and that is what all championships are about.... the sport.

As for the negative press about crowd numbers, every night the stands look packed. With nearly 14,000 seating capacity this is very large for a swim venue... if not the largest in recent memory.

I would like to see what the ticket sales will show as compared to other championships. I bet MElbourne is up there as one of the most succesful.

This has capped off an amazing month in Melbourne, with the F1 Grand Prix, the International Airshow and now the Fina World Championships... and now for the main event for most Melburninans... Aussie Rules Football.... can't wait it all starts tonight.

I love this town.

i am sure you will have a fantastic time!!! By the looks of it on tv the swimming has been brilliant!

And lethal Leisl added another Aussie gold last night as well.

Pity this is now going to be overshadowed by the Thopedo bombshell.

bombshell allright!!! :o , what a shock really this will definately tarnish thorpes reputation even if these claims are not true

DUDE!

If true ........................ massive story

FINA looking into Thorpe drug test

Saturday Mar 31 10:57 AEST

AP - Former swimming great Ian Thorpe showed "abnormal levels" of two banned substances in a doping test last year and international swimming body FINA has appealed for a fresh investigation into the test, French newspaper L'Equipe has reported.

Thorpe, 24, who has now retired from swimming, gave a sample during 2006 that showed abnormally high readings for testosterone and luteinizing hormone, according to the report.

It said the Australian Sport Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) knew of the results but chose not to proceed on the Thorpe case because of a lack of evidence.

However FINA has reportedly appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport for the case to be re-opened.

Swimming Australia spokesman Ian Hanson said Australian officials would hold a meeting later on Saturday to discuss the report.

"We are looking to get together to discuss these claims, to discuss all the facts," said.

"We were only informed a short time ago."

FINA officials in Melbourne for the world championships would not immediately comment on the newspaper report.

FINA president Mustapha Larfaoui is scheduled to speak at a news conference on Saturday but it is not clear if he will speak about Thorpe.

Thorpe won five Olympic gold medals, 11 world titles and set 13 long-course records and 23 overall in his career.

At the 2000 Sydney Olympics, he won the 400m freestyle and was part of Australia's winning 4x100 and 4x200 relay teams. He also took silver in the 200 freestyle and 4-by-100 medley relay.

At the 2004 Athens Games, Thorpe won the 200 and 400 freestyle golds and the 100 bronze. He also took a silver in the 4x200 freestyle relay.

At age 18, he became the first swimmer to win six gold medals at the world championships, claiming three individual titles and taking part in three relay victories in 2001 at Fukuoka, Japan.

Thorpe still holds the world mark in the 400, which he took even lower at the 2002 Commonwealth Games. His 800 mark was claimed in 2005 by countryman Grant Hackett, while the 200 record fell this week to American Michael Phelps at the worlds in Melbourne.

©AAP 2007

Massive story brewing tonight

A Ukraine coach has been arrested by police after beating up a swimmer (who happens to be his daughter!)

Whole incident was captured on camera too!

http://media.fairfax.com.au/?rid=26799

(That is an "edited" version, apparently it gets much much worse, so bad that the TV news refused to show it and went on for 6 minutes!)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,2....html?from=news

Comes on top of a Russian Diving Coach being arrested yesterday after his hands got a bit active with a female hotel worker

Six-year ban for swim coach

March 31, 2007

FINA has suspended Ukraine coach Mykhaylo Zubkov for six years after the poolside brawl with his daughter, swimmer Kateryna.

A message on FINA's website said that Zubkov had breached the sport's code of conduct and had brought swimming into disrepute.

Kateryna gave evidence to a disciplinary hearing convened by world swimming's governing body last night.

Zubkov had told the hearing that the incident was sparked by a relationship his daughter was having.

More swimming results.

Women's 100m Freestyle:

1. Lisbeth Lenton (AUSTRALIA) -> 53.40 sec (CHAMPIONSHIP RECORD!)

2. Marleen Veldhuis (Netherlands) -> 53.70 sec

3. Britta Steffen (Germany) -> 53.74 sec

Canada's Erica Morningstar placed FIFTH with the time of 54.10 sec.

Men's 200m Backstroke:

1. Ryan Lochte (USA) -> 1:54.32 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Aaron Piersol (USA) -> 1:54.80

3. Markus Rogan (Austria) -> 1:56.02

Men's 200m Breaststroke:

1. Kosuke Kitajima (Japan) -> 2:09.80

2. Brenton Rickard (AUSTRALIA) -> 2:10.99

3. Loris Facci (Italy) -> 2:11.03

Canada's Michael Brown placed SEVENTH with the time of 2:12.01

Women's 200m Breaststroke:

1. Leisel Jones (AUSTRALIA) -> 2:21.84

2. (tie) Kirsty Balfour (Great Britain) -> 2:25.94

2. (tie) Megan Jendrick (USA) -> 2:25.94

No Canadian in the final. Also, this is a second tie in a swimming final here.

Men's 4X200m Freestyle:

1. USA (Michael Phelps, Ryan Lochte, Klete Keller and Peter Vanderkaay) -> 7:03.24 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. AUSTRALIA (Patrick Murphy, Andrew Mewing, Grant Brits and Kenrick Monk) -> 7:10.05

3. Canada (Brian Jones, Brent Hayden, Richard Say and Andrew Hurd) -> 7:10.70

Link: CBC: Canada Wins Bronze In Relay At Aquatic Worlds

hayden-brent070330getty.jpg

Six-year ban for swim coach

March 31, 2007

FINA has suspended Ukraine coach Mykhaylo Zubkov for six years after the poolside brawl with his daughter, swimmer Kateryna.

A message on FINA's website said that Zubkov had breached the sport's code of conduct and had brought swimming into disrepute.

Kateryna gave evidence to a disciplinary hearing convened by world swimming's governing body last night.

Zubkov had told the hearing that the incident was sparked by a relationship his daughter was having.

Makes one wonder who is getting the glory nowadays. <_<

Well, guys, it is all over now. What a championship it was for FINA. Here are the last of the final results.

Men's 50m Freestyle:

1. Benjamin Wildman-Tobriner (USA) -> 21.88 sec

2. Cullen Jones (USA) -> 21.94 sec

3. Stefan Nystrand (Sweden) -> 21.97 sec

Canada's Brent Hayden placed EIGHTH with the time of 22.28 sec.

Women's 50m Freestyle:

1. Lisbeth Lenton (AUSTRALIA) -> 24.53 sec

2. Therese Alshammar (Sweden) -> 24.62 sec

3. Marleen Veldhuis (Netherlands) -> 24.70 sec

Men's 50m Backstroke:

1. Gerhard Zandberg (South Africa) -> 24.98 sec

2. Thomas Rupprath (Germany) -> 25.20 sec

3. Liam Tancock (Great Britain) -> 25.23 sec

Women's 50m Breaststroke:

1. Jessica Hardy (USA) -> 30.63 sec

2. Leisel Jones (AUSTRALIA) -> 30.70 sec

3. Tara Kirk (USA) -> 31.05 sec

Women's 50m Butterfly:

1. Therese Alshammar (Sweden) -> 25.91 sec

2. Danni Miatke (AUSTRALIA) -> 26.05 sec

3. Inge Dekker (Netherlands) -> 26.11 sec

Since I don't want to make my post too long, I'll try doing it in separate ones.

Men's 100m Butterfly:

1. Michael Phelps (USA) -> 50.77 sec

2. Ian Crocker (USA) -> 50.82 sec

3. Albert Subirats Altes (Venezuela) -> 51.82 sec

Women's 200m Backstroke:

1. Margaret Hoelzer (USA) -> 2:07.16 (CHAMPIONSHIP RECORD!)

2. Kirsty Coventry (Zimbabwe) -> 2:07.54

3. Reiko Nakamura (Japan) -> 2:08.54

Men's 400m Individual Medley:

1. Michael Phelps (USA) -> 4:06.22 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Ryan Lochte (USA) -> 4:09.74

3. Luca Marin (Italy) -> 4:09.88

Women's 400m Individual Medley:

1. Katie Hoff (USA) -> 4:32.89 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. Yana Martynova (Russia) -> 4:40.14

3. Stephanie Rice (AUSTRALIA) -> 4:41.19

Women's 800m Freestyle:

1. Kate Ziegler (USA) -> 8:18.52 (CHAMPIONSHIP RECORD!)

2. Laure Manaudou (France) -> 8:18.80

3. Hayley Peirsol (USA) -> 8:26.41

Men's 1,500m Freestyle:

1. Mateusz Sawrymowicz (Poland) -> 14:45.94

2. Yury Prilukov (Russia) -> 14:47.29

3. David Davies (Great Britain) -> 14:51.21

Men's 4X100m Medley Relay:

1. AUSTRALIA (Matt Welsh, Brenton Rickard, Andrew Lauterstein and Eamon Sullivan) -> 3:34.93

2. Japan (Tomomi Morita, Kosuke Kitajima, Takashi Yamamoto and Daisuke Hosokawa) -> 3:35.16

3. Russia (Arkady Vyatchanin, Dmitry Komornikov, Nikolay Skvortsov and Evgeny Lagunov) -> 3:35.51

No Canadian team here.

Women's 4X100m Medley Relay:

1. AUSTRALIA (Emily Seebohm, Leisel Jones, Jessicah Schipper and Lisbeth Lenton) -> 3:55.74 (WORLD RECORD!)

2. USA (Natalie Coughlin, Tara Kirk, Rachel Komisarz and Lacey Nymeyer) -> 3:58.31

3. China (XUTIAN Longzi, LUO Nan, ZHOU Yafei and XU Yanwei) -> 4:01.97

No Canadian team here.

From the official Melbourne 2007 web site, the FINAL medal tally.

Rank Country Gold Silver Bronze Total

1 USA 21 14 5 40

2 Russia 11 6 7 24

3 AUSTRALIA 9 7 10 26

4 China 9 5 2 16

5 France 3 2 2 7

6 Germany 2 5 4 11

7 South Africa 2 - 1 3

8 Japan 1 4 8 13

9 Canada 1 3 1 5

10 Italy 1 2 5 8

11 Poland 1 2 1 4

12 Sweden 1 1 1 3

13 Tunisia 1 1 - 2

14 Korea 1 - 1 2

14 Ukraine 1 - 1 2

16 Croatia 1 - - 1

17 Spain - 4 3 7

18 Great Britain - 2 3 5

18 The Netherlands - 2 3 5

20 Zimbabwe - 2 - 2

21 Hungary - 1 1 2

22 Belarus - 1 - 1

22 Switzerland - 1 - 1

24 Denmark - - 1 1

24 Austria - - 1 1

24 Egypt - - 1 1

24 Greece - - 1 1

24 Venezuela - - 1 1

Total 66 65 64 195

Thank you again, Melbourne, for hosting this world championship. The next one will take place in the Italian capital in 2009.

These were enormous World Championships -- and luckily, they had a very satisfying number of spectators (as far as I could see that on the TV screen) despite the high ticket prices.

Nevertheless, not everything was as positive as expected:

First of all, I'm very surprised that Australia has won four gold medals less (!) than in 2005 in Montreal. In terms of the overall number of medals, they even have won only one medal more than two years ago. How come? I had expected a lot more of the Australian team beforehand since they were swimming in front of a home audience. And there are other questions: What happened to Grant Hackett? Only two years ago, he was one of the superstars of Montreal -- now he leaves Melbourne with only one bronze medal. And where was Jade Edmistone, one of the shooting stars of Montreal?

Secondly, it's still very frightening that China won all diving gold medals apart from one. Brace yourself, USA -- brace yourself, Russia! China will smash you in the medal tally at the Beijing Games!

Thirdly, the number of 15 world records at only one World Championships is astonishing -- and I very much hope that some of those records won't prove as too astonishing. Especially the enormous records Michael Phelps has achieved in Melbourne (for example, he smashed his own 400 m IM record by two seconds today!!!) raise some questions, but that doesn't mean that I'd prejudge him.

Fourthly, the German performances in the pool at these WCH were depressingly bad most of the time (apart from few bright spots like Annika Lurz, the 4x200 freestyle girls and maybe Thomas Rupprath). Not a single gold medal from the pool is much less than I originally expected. I don't know how we shall prevail in Beijing if our team isn't able to stand the pressure at World Championships already. German head coach Örjan Madsen now stands in front of the same problems he encountered when he took his office one year ago.

But in terms of the organisation, Melbourne were perfect World Championships indeed. Bravo, Australia!

These were enormous World Championships -- and luckily, they had a very satisfying number of spectators (as far as I could see that on the TV screen) despite the high ticket prices.

Well, apparanetly they broke the record for WC attendance _ if I remember correctly, they said something like 209,000 attendees, and the previous record (Barcelona 2004_ had been broken with two nights to go. I think the swimmers appreciated a full and swimming-knowledeable crowd, a few of them ac knowledged this in their interviewws on the final night.

First of all, I'm very surprised that Australia has won four gold medals less (!) than in 2005 in Montreal. In terms of the overall number of medals, they even have won only one medal more than two years ago. How come? I had expected a lot more of the Australian team beforehand since they were swimming in front of a home audience. And there are other questions: What happened to Grant Hackett? Only two years ago, he was one of the superstars of Montreal -- now he leaves Melbourne with only one bronze medal. And where was Jade Edmistone, one of the shooting stars of Montreal?

Actually, I was really pleased and even pleasantly surprised with nine medals and third place. If we can repeat that next year in Beijing, we will be well on the way to an top five, or even four, finish overall. The Australian women were truly dominant (there was, justifiably, a lot of talk about Michael Phelps' seven gold, but don't forget Libby Lenton's five gold, equal best result ever for a woman). The Aussie mens team has been in a slump for a while. Thorpe's retirement merely underlined that, and Hackett's poor form and preparation really underlined the need to rebuild the men's team.

Secondly, it's still very frightening that China won all diving gold medals apart from one. Brace yourself, USA -- brace yourself, Russia! China will smash you in the medal tally at the Beijing Games!

Diving, China dominated, yes. But they were a flop in the pool (along with Germany, probably the big disappointment). The USA deservedly won the swimming bragging rights, and 21 gold, again, is an excellent base to begin an assualt in Beijing next year. Actually, after this WC, I'm more inclined to think the USA will be able to defend it's top ranking easily in Beijing.

Thirdly, the number of 15 world records at only one World Championships is astonishing -- and I very much hope that some of those records won't prove as too astonishing. Especially the enormous records Michael Phelps has achieved in Melbourne (for example, he smashed his own 400 m IM record by two seconds today!!!) raise some questions, but that doesn't mean that I'd prejudge him.

LOL _ so many recoprds were bing broken I was starting to wonder if they'd had their measurements wrong and built a pool that was slightly too short!

:P

Seriously, though, it's a sad reflection on modern sport when we see amazing performances and immediately doubt that it could have been done naturally through talent. For me, watching Phelps was the highlight of the meet _ possibly the most amazing athlete I'm going to be priveleged to see in my lifetime. It was just sad that a false start in the relays denied him the chance to get an eighth gold (though Australia's gain that the USA was scratched!).

Fourthly, the German performances in the pool at these WCH were depressingly bad most of the time (apart from few bright spots like Annika Lurz, the 4x200 freestyle girls and maybe Thomas Rupprath). Not a single gold medal from the pool is much less than I originally expected. I don't know how we shall prevail in Beijing if our team isn't able to stand the pressure at World Championships already. German head coach Örjan Madsen now stands in front of the same problems he encountered when he took his office one year ago.

As I said, in the swimming events, China and Germany were the two main disappointments. But I should apologise for singling out Germany there. Europe as a whole was disappointing. France was the best performer, but even then, without Manadou it would have beeen zilch there as well. And where was the UK? The USA and Australia dominated, indeeed, I think they dominated so much that they now hold a big psychological edge against the competition when they go into Beijing next year.

Ah yes, bring on Beijing!

Interesting wash-up from the German coach over the WC performance:

MELBOURNE, April 2 AAP - German head coach Orjan Madsen has blasted his woeful swimmers after a spectacular failure at the world championships.

Germany came into the titles as world No.1 in women's sprint freestyle events but failed to claim a single gold medal.

The team flew out of Australia today ranked 13th on the medal tally with just three silver and one bronze medal.

Madsen said his swimmers failed to cope with the pressure of expectation and declared they would never have the mental strength of powerhouse USA.

``Our problem is that we lose focus easily,'' said Madsen.

``You can't compare us to the United States. It's dangerous because they haven't been dominating like this in the past 20 years.

``The United States are dominating because they have athletes who are able to show a world class performance, even in the morning and they can get into the pool twice in the afternoon and still give their best.

``It's their mental strength which we'll never acquire.''

Madsen earlier in the meet revealed he would employ team psychologists leading into next year's Olympics in Beijing.

He said the only positive out of their Melbourne failure was that there was still 16 months to turn it around.

``These results are possibly an advantage. If something goes wrong, people are more eager to question themselves in order to find out what went wrong and what needs to be done in the future,'' he said.

``We need to change things ... We swam too slow and the world class athletes swam faster than we expected. The gap has increased.

``It can be said easily that we swim on a world class level. But if we want to compete on a world class level, we'll need to behave in a way that it looks like we want to be world class.

``The reality is that we stayed far behind our expectations. I don't want to paint a perfect picture (of our team). We expected a much better performance than our athletes showed.''

AAP

Archived