Fina -> 12th World Championships

I think this is the first world championships in a summer sport, before we know who we will watch at Beijing 2008 here. If I read my news correctly last week, I will have put this topic here, after Michael Phelps set another world record somewhere in the USA. Anyway, after the "much-improved" Canadian showing in the last such world championships in 2005 at Montreal, it will be interesting on how the Canadian team will fare against a home crowd in a nation where "swimming is king of them all." I mean, a few of the world records in these kind of events are still held in Australian swimming pools, like what happened at Sydney 2000.

First, the official website of Melbourne 2007:

Link: XIIth FINA World Championships

Second, the official website of FINA itself:

Link: Official Website Of FINA (Federation Internationale de Natation)

Third, the world records list:

Link: The FINA Swimming World Records (as of November 14, 2006)

As for the 2011 bids, it is a showdown between Doha, Qatar (host city of the 2006 Asian Games) versus Shanghai, China, for the honor. That decision will come on March 24, during Melbourne 2007. Good luck to all swimmers in this event. If I'm correct, it could be an Olympic-qualifying event to some national teams.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These will be highly exciting World Championships for the German team -- especially for the female swimmers since they have to defend their three world records, of which they snatched away two from the Aussies last summer at the European Championships in Budapest (4x100 freestyle and Britta Steffen's 100 m freestyle record). The Aussies will certainly be highly ambitious to get those records back, especially in front of a home crowd.

These will be highly exciting World Championships for the German team -- especially for the female swimmers since they have to defend their three world records, of which they snatched away two from the Aussies last summer at the European Championships in Budapest (4x100 freestyle and Britta Steffen's 100 m freestyle record). The Aussies will certainly be highly ambitious to get those records back, especially in front of a home crowd.

I doubt that Steffen and the relay team will retain the world record.

3 more weeks from today here. According to time zones when I was reading the Melbourne 2007 front page, the opening ceremony will be held in 5:00AM MST, where I live.

Double gold medalist from Montreal 2005, diver Alexandre Despatie of Quebec, will carry the Canadian flag into the opening ceremony of Melbourne 2007.

Link: CBC: Despatie To Carry Flag At Aquatic Worlds

despatie-alexandre-cp-060607.jpg

Again, I hope that the Canadian team can improve on their performance from two years ago on "home water."

it should be a great world champs! I think about 20 new zealanders will be heading to the champs! I am hoping for a couple of finals mainly from Moss Burmister, Hannah McLean and Corney Swanepaul! Any results in the top 8 will be fantastic! The New Zealand swim team is young and on the rise under head coach Jan Cameron who is doing a great job with the team

Mexican best chance is focus on their dives; still they're very young and have a lot to learn, but I'm sure they can get some spots to Beijing (the first 12 on individual diving and the first 4 on synchro qualifiy to 2008 Olympics). Mexican swimmers are improving and maybe they can get into a semi (200m Butterfly or 400m Freestyle, both men).

As for the 2011 bids, it is a showdown between Doha, Qatar (host city of the 2006 Asian Games) versus Shanghai, China, for the honor. That decision will come on March 24, during Melbourne 2007. Good luck to all swimmers in this event. If I'm correct, it could be an Olympic-qualifying event to some national teams.

What happened to the other cities competing? Durban, San Francisco, Madrid and the japanese bidder? Not heard that any of them are out

What happened to the other cities competing? Durban, San Francisco, Madrid and the japanese bidder? Not heard that any of them are out

Did not make the shortlist period.

when was that made public for i cannot find any reference to that anywhere on the net

Well, that's a very confusing story indeed.

The following FINA press release sounds as if there are only Doha and Shanghai left as bidders (because they say that these two cities "were part of a group of seven potential bidders"):

http://www.fina.org/news/press_Releases/2007/1.php

This is also confirmed by the IOC:

http://www.olympic.org/uk/news/olympic_new...Date=01/15/2007

Meanwhile, the following report states that Doha and Shanghai "will join a group of five other potential bidders":

http://www.timedfinals.com/15012007/shanga...-championships/

A race of seven is also confirmed here:

http://www.waterpolo.co.nz/article.cfm?articleid=2855

So what's true then? Are the other five cities still in the race or not? :blink::unsure:

14th FINA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2011 01

Doha (QAT) and Shanghai (CHN) in the final race

Lausanne (SUI), January 15, 2007 – The National Federations/Cities of China (city of Shangha) , and Qatar (city of Doha) confirmed their formal bid to the organisation of the 14th edition of the FINA World Championships in 2011.

These two cities were part of a group of seven potential bidders that also included: Japan (city not specified), Korea (city of Seoul), South Africa (city of Durban), Spain (city of Madrid), and USA (city of San Francisco).

The host of the 14th FINA World Championships 2011 will be decided and announced by the FINA Bureau on March 24, 2007 with the occasion of the 12th FINA World Championships in Melbourne (AUS).

After Australia and before 2011, the 13th FINA World Championships will be held in Rome (ITA), from July 19-August 2, 2009.

Furthermore, the next editions of the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) will take place in 2008 in Manchester (GBR), from April 9-13, and in 2010 in Dubai (UAE), from April 7-11.

> visit the bids section

Ok. Read the very first sentence above, after the title. This press release come DIRECTLY from FINA itself. <_<

14th FINA WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS 2011 01

Doha (QAT) and Shanghai (CHN) in the final race

Lausanne (SUI), January 15, 2007 – The National Federations/Cities of China (city of Shangha) , and Qatar (city of Doha) confirmed their formal bid to the organisation of the 14th edition of the FINA World Championships in 2011.

These two cities were part of a group of seven potential bidders that also included: Japan (city not specified), Korea (city of Seoul), South Africa (city of Durban), Spain (city of Madrid), and USA (city of San Francisco).

The host of the 14th FINA World Championships 2011 will be decided and announced by the FINA Bureau on March 24, 2007 with the occasion of the 12th FINA World Championships in Melbourne (AUS).

After Australia and before 2011, the 13th FINA World Championships will be held in Rome (ITA), from July 19-August 2, 2009.

Furthermore, the next editions of the FINA World Swimming Championships (25m) will take place in 2008 in Manchester (GBR), from April 9-13, and in 2010 in Dubai (UAE), from April 7-11.

> visit the bids section

Ok. Read the very first sentence above, after the title. This press release come DIRECTLY from FINA itself. <_<

To me that reads that the they have joined the race, for Qatar, Japan and China never stated which cities were bidding to host the evnt initially, they just stated that as nations they were bidding. This now seems that they have announced that Doha and Shanghai will represent their respective nations.

Surely they would explicitly state that the other nations are no longer in the running due specific reasons and list them, rather than ambiguously suggesting they are no longer in it? If indeed it is only Shanghai and Doha then FINA are not communicating very clearly, nor being transparent

Yeah, dysan1. It seems that I got mixed up with this news. Well, I guess the only thing we can do now is wait for FINA's decision on March 24.

While the FINA Worlds coming to the Bay Area would be a good thing, it should be noted that if it does happen, then the core of the events would NOT be held in San Francisco proper. The open water events, of course, but the bulk of events would be held in Stanford (unless San Francisco itself ponies up the cash to create a world-class swimming facility of its own, which like an Olympic stadium will never happen). Why use the name San Francisco when the central events will be held closer to San Jose?

While the FINA Worlds coming to the Bay Area would be a good thing, it should be noted that if it does happen, then the core of the events would NOT be held in San Francisco proper. The open water events, of course, but the bulk of events would be held in Stanford (unless San Francisco itself ponies up the cash to create a world-class swimming facility of its own, which like an Olympic stadium will never happen). Why use the name San Francisco when the central events will be held closer to San Jose?

Details. It's happened before.

The 1992 World Figure Skating Championships were held in Oakland, but the event was listed as in "San Francisco Bay Areas/Oakland." If it were to be held in SF, the secretariat (where FINA would have its offices and media offices) would be in SF -- which is why, tehcnically, it could still be called SF.

According to wikipedia its

Doha, Qatar

Durban, South Africa

Madrid, Spain

San Francisco, United States

Japan (probably Osaka)

China (Shanghai it seems)

My preference and geopolitically speaking Durban should win. Japan hosted in 2001, Spain in 2003 so there goes those two bids, NA had them in 2005 so San Francisco is gone, but the US should have 2013, Doha and Qatar have no presence in aquatics so no, China is in Asia, 10 years is not enough time. 2009 is in Europe so another strike against Madrid. So that leaves Durban, South Africa.

According to wikipedia its

Doha, Qatar

Durban, South Africa

Madrid, Spain

San Francisco, United States

Japan (probably Osaka)

China (Shanghai it seems)

My preference and geopolitically speaking Durban should win. Japan hosted in 2001, Spain in 2003 so there goes those two bids, NA had them in 2005 so San Francisco is gone, but the US should have 2013, Doha and Qatar have no presence in aquatics so no, China is in Asia, 10 years is not enough time. 2009 is in Europe so another strike against Madrid. So that leaves Durban, South Africa.

Kinda my reasoning too.

Added to that South Africa is a top performer in swimming, africa has never hosted (while most of the other bidders have on other occassions), Durban is rated as one of the top venues on the FINA world cup circuit and last year gained additional experience in hosting the IPC world swimming champs, the second largest event in the paraplegic sporting world. So does stan in good stead. Having the 2010 soccer world cup the year before might be a slight negative in terms of being greedy, but melbourne had commonwealth last year so it doesnt seem to matter

I cannot wait to see how the traditional powers of this sport will do, starting next week. That will give a bit of an indication on how the Beijing 2008 aquatic events would turn out. Who knows. It could turn out to be like Sydney 2000 all over again.

I cannot wait to see how the traditional powers of this sport will do, starting next week. That will give a bit of an indication on how the Beijing 2008 aquatic events would turn out. Who knows. It could turn out to be like Sydney 2000 all over again.

yea i agree especially the australian mens swim team as ian thorpe has retired.

Well, the moment is almost here. Today is the eve of the world championships. I bet there could be at least one world record being set in Melbourne, judging that Australia is one of these places in the world where that scenario seems to occur "on a regular basis."

You guys may or may not no this, but there has been some critique amongst the public and politicians and such about 3 big events being held during the same weekend. These events are of course, the Formula 1, Fina World Championships, and the Australian International Air show.

Archived