Sifia 92 and 94

thatsnotmypuppy

What do you think about the past two bids of Sofia?

There are rumors that Sofia had almost won and was chosen for 1994, but in the last moment the norwegians(Lillihammer) offered Huan Antonio Samaranch a Nobel prize, if they get the host

Hahahahah -

no.

The Sofia 94 bid was highly regarded - however the Norwegian government actually censured the bid committee when Samaranch started his campaign for a Nobel.  He was informed in no uncertain terms that any campaign - mind you it is ridiculous to campaign for a Nobel - would not be decided in association with the Lillehammer bid.

As weall saw, Samaranch didnt get a Nobel.

What title?

Samaranch and the IOC never won a Nobel prize.  NEVER.  The Spanish Government bestowed the title of Marquis on him - not the Norwegians.

Norway cant give a person a Spanish title.

Samaranch and the IOC won the Seoul Peace Prize back in the 90's - but those prizes are seen as a joke.

Norway bestowed no honour on Samaranch or the IOC.

• 1 month later...
There are rumors that Sofia had almost won and was chosen for 1994, but in the last moment the norwegians(Lillihammer) offered Huan Antonio Samaranch a Nobel prize, if they get the host

yes I've read it in a Andrew Jennings Olympic book

I am not sure that Sofia was ready to host the OG in 94 and 92. There were many problems in Bulgaria in the early 90s . In my opinion there were to many economic problems in Bulgaria at that time.

Yes, yes it is so

But the Games were in Sarajevo 1984, weren't they?

Again - the IOC and Samaranch to this day have not won a Nobel prize.  Also the government of Norway doesn't award them - the Nobel committee does - and they are feircely protective of their independence from government control.  Read Andrew Jennings book again - the Norwegian government is quoted as saying there is no way they would offer a Nobel in exchange for the Games.  The president was offended by the suggestion.

There is no debating this point - they did not get a Nobel.

I have to back-up tnmp _ Samaranch and the IOC have ABSOLUTELY NEVER been awarded the Nobal Peace Prize. There were suggestions that Samaranch was after it, and that a PR Agency in London was appointed to lobby for it, but I think that act alone would have killed any such chances. Anybody who actively lobbies for the Nobel Peace Prize for themsleves would pretty well make themselves ineligible by doing so.

• 10 months later...
Now that Sofia is trying to get the 2014 Winter Olympics, I found this topic almost at the back of this section. What are its chances this time around and how it will be different from its previous bids?

In guess a Sofia winter these games would be similar feel to Sarajevo 1984 -  both in Eastern Europe.

At least, the Winter Olympics could get a "brand-new" location to go to, with the nation of Bulgaria. This may be too early to say this, but with Greece as one of its next-door neighbors, it may pique the interest of the Hellenic Olympic Committee about this idea, too.

• 5 months later...
In guess a Sofia winter these games would be similar feel to Sarajevo 1984 -  both in Eastern Europe.

Totally different - Sarajevo 1984 was in the communist era, Sofia 2014 will be 30 years from then, many things have changed

Totally different - Sarajevo 1984 was in the communist era, Sofia 2014 will be 30 years from then, many things have changed

Ghost1, not to be rude, but is there something wrong with your keyboard? It seems that your posts are getting repeated.

Anyway, I think Sofia does have a good chance of getting to be a candidate city for the 2014 Winter Olympics come this June.

Ghost1, not to be rude, but is there something wrong with your keyboard? It seems that your posts are getting repeated.

Anyway, I think Sofia does have a good chance of getting to be a candidate city for the 2014 Winter Olympics come this June.

I've messed up with the keyboard, look here:

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin....3;t=237

I've posted 7 times the same post

Anyway, I also think Sofia has good chances to get in the shortlist

Well, the city did get that endorsement from the FIS president, if I'm right on that.

Well, the city did get that endorsement from the FIS president, if I'm right on that.

Yes, I'll try to find the news

Yes, I'll try to find the news

Here it is:

http://www.gamesbids.com/cgi-bin....45;t=14

Archived