Happy Chinese Luna New Year!

200612153361589.jpg

light view in Beijing

16_03_754.jpg

Many famouse hotels in Beijing have been got ready for Beijing 2008.

16_03_755.jpg

Chinese traditional actions in festival~

My home city Harbin in Spring Festival::::Harbin will host 2009 Winter Unversiade.

xin_150203030843656256034.jpg

xin_15020303084393757105.jpg

Sophia in Harbin CHINA

1021379_994552.jpg

Ice & Snow festival in Harbin for Chinese Luna New year.

Could someone kindly explain to me the meaning and significance of this being the Year of the Pig? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, I don't want to be that, I just want to know a bit more.

Happy Chinese Lunar New Year of the Pig (Boar) from my part of North America. It is now just Sunday, from where I am in Calgary. Our Chinese community will be vibrant with lots of activities going on, especially at the Chinese Cultural Center.

By the way, what does the Calgary CCC look like to you guys? Click on the click below and find out via clicking the picture gallery "icon" on the front page.

Link: Official Website Of The Calgary Chinese Cultural Center

Here's the BBC article, with a link to pictures, about the Chinese New Year.

Link: BBC: China Ushers In Year Of The Pig

Edited by Guardian
Could someone kindly explain to me the meaning and significance of this being the Year of the Pig? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, I don't want to be that, I just want to know a bit more.

Many country have 12 Zodiac.China and many other Asian counturies also have traditonal Zodiac "mascots"

2007 is pig~ :rolleyes:

It's somewhat the same as the western zoological calendar -- with 12 phases. Except while the western calendar is heavily based on Greek and Roman mythology, the Chinese have simplified theirs to 12 animals -- and they do the rotation by year -- unlike the western (Aries, Scorpio, etc.) calendar which breaks up a calendar year into these 12 signs. But it's same thing: you go on a rotation.

I live in a Chinese housing scheme so I get involved in the celebrations each year. Had a great time in Chinatown celebrating. Manchester has a very large Chinese community alongside Liverpool and London.

My Chinese zodiac animal is a Dog. That year was just over and we could be heading toward "turbulent times" in the Year of the Pig.