Sign in to follow this  
mattygs

Past Olympic Stadiums

I like Sydney, Barcelona,Munich et al - but really loved visiting the Tokyo Yoyogi Olympic Stadium.  It is a very simple, somewhat squat stadium, but it has a real sense of history attached - it has a presence.  I know that sounds dicky...

I love all the architecture from the Tokyo Games. I think the main architect for the swimming complex and arena was Kenzo Tange. To me the buildings he dsigned were the embodiment of Japanese culture, modernity and sport....really beautiful!

yoyogi.jpg

Tokyo Olympic Pool

Has anybody followed what has happened to these stadiums since the olympics took place? - while the stadiums are great looking for 16 days - the city or country has to try and do something with them after the games - and hopefully not become a white elephant

Actually the first ever canopy style structure ever built was in Melbourne for the 1956 Olympic Games. It was constructed between 1955 and 1956 as a venue for boxing and medal ceremonies, located just across the Yarra River from Olympic Park. (Melbourne being I think the only summer Olympiad to have some sports awarded Medals away from venues, like the Winter Olympics). After the Olympics it was converted into the Myer Music Bowl and has been this since 1957. It is now operated by the nearby Victorian Arts Centre, one of the largest cultural arts centres in the World.

Open air performing arts complex, capacity of 30,000:

aus_melbourne_musicbowl.jpg

Has anybody followed what has happened to these stadiums since the olympics took place? - while the stadiums are great looking for 16 days - the city or country has to try and do something with them after the games - and hopefully not become a white elephant

Well I know that Atlanta's 1996 stadium is now a baseball ground- Turner field, home to the Atlanta braves.

Sydney's 2000 stadium is now the telstra stadium.

Well I know that Atlanta's 1996 stadium is now a baseball ground- Turner field, home to the Atlanta braves.

Sydney's 2000 stadium is now the telstra stadium.

And it wont be the last!! The Sydney Olympic Stadium has become nothing but a whore to the corperation since the closing ceremony.

Before the Olympics it was Stadium Australia, and for about a year after, remained this (its rightful name I believe), then comes Telstra Stadium.

The contract expires in 2007, so another name is possable then.

:rolleyes:

Most of the stadia see some use.  Soccer games, track meets, concerts and other special events fill up the roster.

Berlin's has long been used and will be upgraded in time to host WC 2006.

London's Wembly has been demolished and is due for reconstruction.

Helsinki's has been used for track meets such as World Champs.

Melbourne's is a cricket ground.

Rome's and Munich's are used for track meets and soccer matches - World Champs in both have been held there.

Mexico's main stadium is part of the university campus.

Montreal's is the most used - for baseball, the Grey Cup, trade shows, conventions, concerts and other big shows.  The tower and velodrome (now biodome) are popular tourist attractions.

Moscow's had awnings added since 1980, but is in need of repair.

LA's is used for football and such.

Not sure about Seoul?

Barcelona's is used for soccer and is a popular tourist attraction.

Atlanta's is now a baseball diamond - Turner Field.

Most of the stadia see some use.  Soccer games, track meets, concerts and other special events fill up the roster.

Berlin's has long been used and will be upgraded in time to host WC 2006.

London's Wembly has been demolished and is due for reconstruction.

Helsinki's has been used for track meets such as World Champs.

Melbourne's is a cricket ground.

Rome's and Munich's are used for track meets and soccer matches - World Champs in both have been held there.

Mexico's main stadium is part of the university campus.

Montreal's is the most used - for baseball, the Grey Cup, trade shows, conventions, concerts and other big shows.  The tower and velodrome (now biodome) are popular tourist attractions.

Moscow's had awnings added since 1980, but is in need of repair.

LA's is used for football and such.

Not sure about Seoul?

Barcelona's is used for soccer and is a popular tourist attraction.

Atlanta's is now a baseball diamond - Turner Field.

Did Seoul's stadium play any part whatsoever in the 2002 World Cup?

The MCG (Melbourne Cricket Ground), is merely just a name though. It was orignally founded on the site that is now Olympic Park, as the Melbourne Cricket Club in 1852.

Over time different potions of it were constructed. In 1908 it was the World's largest stadium with a capacity of some 55,000.

It was vastly reconstruced to seat 105,000 (the second largest Olympic capacity ever), for the 1956 Olympic Games.

Since the Olympics it has hosted concerts, AFL football games (which if far more popular than cricket), rugby and soccer games. The largest crowd ever in the stadium was for the 1971 AFL Grand Final where seating was increased, and some removed to accomadate an estimated 141,000.

In 1989 work began on demolishing half the stadium in hope Melbourne would be successful in its bid for the 1996 Olympics, however, it seemed to be Atlanta's time. Half the stadium was finished in 1992, and the other half remained the Northern-Olympic side. Capacity was reduced to 95,000.

However Melbourne's successful bid to host the 2006 Commonwealth Games has seen the other Olympic-era half of the stadium go under the wrecking bull for reconstrucion. The new MCG will seat just over 102,000 spectators. It will host the opening ceremonies and athletics for the C'Wealth Games.

The Sydney Olympic Stadium has become nothing but a whore to the corperation since the closing ceremony.

Before the Olympics it was Stadium Australia, and for about a year after, remained this (its rightful name I believe), then comes Telstra Stadium.

The contract expires in 2007, so another name is possable then.

:rolleyes:

Just wondering, will the 2000 Olympic stadium/ Telstra stadium ever be able to house an athletics track again?

I mean, at the moment, in terms of dimensions, would it be able to fit a running track inside it, or would a great deal of renovating be needed for it to be able to host an event like the IAAF World Athletics championships??

Stadium Australia/ Telstra Stadium will be able to have a complete running track at any time it is needed. The ground can be made larger and smaller depending on the sport being played. Each stand can be moved outward and inward to suit particular events. There has been word that a fully retractable roof could be installed at Telstra Stadium making it the world most expensive stadium with costs around something like 1billion dollars in total over about 20years.

Onto the Melbourne Cricket Ground, i think that who ever made the comment about being a cricket ground, neeeds to do some reaserch. It is not just a cricket ground and to me, is the worlds best stadium if you are looking for a truely sporting experience.

It may not look attractive but is to me the best stadium in the world.

Woohoo, you obviously know alot about the "G", have you been there before? Truely amazing. Have you checked out the new Ponsford Stand?

But any way,

Best Olympic Stadiums

1. Sydney

2. Moscow

3. Barcelona

4. Athens 2004, getting abit ahead

5. Melbourne

( Note i would have put Melbourne first but due to its condition in 1956 it was impossible to compare it to Barcelona, Sydney and Moscow)

Well - here are my gold, silver and bronze winners in stadium design:

1.  Los Angeles 1932/1984:  The integrated torch leaves no doubt that this was built as an Olympic Stadium.  And who can forget the 84 grand pianos rolling through those arches during the Opening Ceremony)

col.gif

2.  Montreal 1976:  The most controversial stadium and IMHO one of the most innovative.  Hopefully someday the citizens of Montreal realize they have a treasure that rivals Sydney's Opera House.  

Wouldn't it have been cool if the tower was built during the Olympics and they placed the caldron on top of it?

montreal-olympic-stadium-4.3.jpg

3. Helsinki 1952

As a stadium by itself it was pretty conventional.  But combine the tower and the wooden screen they erected on the exterior to hid the trusses and it becomes a work of art.  

Dscn7582.jpg

The Mexico city is pretty ugly, is now used by one of the soccer clubs of the Mexican league, and just two years after the Olympics it was downgraded and overshadowed by its younger and bigger cousin, the Aztec Stadium that hosted the World Cup Finals of 70 and 86.

*The Montreal Stadium is impressive.

*The Memorial Coliseum was quite "classical" in 84

*The Munich stadium looks quite futuristic and attractive

But my all time favorite must be the Barcelona one

front.jpg

The Atlanta one was really....everything except impressive. :hmm:

The Mexico city is pretty ugly, is now used by one of the soccer clubs of the Mexican league, and just two years after the Olympics it was downgraded and overshadowed by its younger and bigger cousin, the Aztec Stadium that hosted the World Cup Finals of 70 and 86.

*The Montreal Stadium is impressive.

*The Memorial Coliseum was quite "classical" in 84

*The Munich stadium looks quite futuristic and attractive

But my all time favorite must be the Barcelona one

front.jpg

The Atlanta one was really....everything except impressive. :hmm:

Mmmmmmm nice.  Thanks for sharing that picture.  I never saw Barcelonas from the outside.  Nice!  :cool:

No problem.

*And now the giant that overshadows the small Mexico 68 stadium

foto_stagenodo.jpg

* Another pictures of Estadio Azteca, the only one that has hosted two World Cup Finals (70 and 86)

azteca.jpg

1447_ppal.jpg

estadio.jpg

And who wouldn't consider it a giant when it can host more than 120,000 people and survived the 1985 earthquake ???

I've been to several events at Homebush aka Sydney Olympic Stadium aka Stadium Australia aka Telstra Stadium, including rugby tests, athletic championships and the opening and closing ceremonies and it is a wonderful arena. I wasn't mad keen on the two wings which have now been removed...when I sat in the southern stand at the Paralympic opening ceremony it was cold, exposed to the rain and too far from the action. On the other hand my seats in the western stand for the opening and closing ceremonies for the Olympics were great, with execllent views. The facilities and ease of access to the stadium are top notch, and even two weeks ago when I went to the Scotland-Australia rugby test the ambience there was fantastic.

As for other stadia, having only seen them second hand I'd have to list Montjuic, Munich and LA as my faves. I've been to the MCG but it was undergoing some significant restructuring. It really has a colosseum feel to it. I can't comment on Montreal now, but watching my video footage from the 76 games it looked rather austere/empty. Berlin Sportfeld and Olympische Stadion must have been spectacular in its Olympic configuration (my fiance brought back some pictures, video and books from there for me last year), whilst on TV the temporary ski jump stadium at Lillehammer looked great. Atlanta was average (I wont call it what Roy & HG said in 'The Dream'), Nagano and Albertville and Salt Lake were all temporarily nondescript, whilst the best things about Seoul and Moscow's Lenin stadium was the way the crowds were used to participate in the opening ceremonies.

I am looking forward to the Panathenaen Stadium getting used again in only 42 days...I think that'll be a great moment in tying Athens 2004 games with the 1896 games.

Andrew

Sydney 2000's Olympic Stadium was for me, the best, and yes even thouhg it is a giant white pringle, or saddle i still love it, the atmosphere is great

About the comment made about the Aztec Stadium, i doubt that the Stadium will be used again as it cannot fit a athletics track, if they wanted this, they would have to gretly reduce the stadia's capacity.

IMO i really didnt like the Monteal Stadium that much. Though the Barcelona, Souel, LA, Beijing and Athens stadiums are proboly the best in Olympic history..... and future

The Aztec Stadium is already outdated, but the owners are quite happy by the fact they can get money from the soccer clubs that currenty play there. Anyway, a renovation wouldn't hurt the stadium....

Okay...

Athens 1896 and 2004. The old stadium has classic beauty in its configuration and Calvatra's new modern masterpiece is beautiful and timeless.

Munich 1972. the theme was carried throughout the entire Olympic Park. It was definetely way ahead of its time.

Montreal 1976. Beautiful and sleek with an amazing observation tower to crown it. Too bad it was not completed for the Olympic Games...

Barcelona 1992. A beautiful stadium with architecture that gives a modern stadium an old world atmosphere.

Los Angeles. What can i say. I might be biased, but damn, those arches in the peristyle set the stadium apart from any other one. It is an immediate trademark of the Los Angeles Olympics.

Guest ryan04

well my favortie Summer Games Stadiums are:

Athens 2004

Sydney 2000

Barcelona 1992

Montreal 1976

favortie Winter Stadiums:

Salt Lake 2002

Lillehammer 1994

Calgary 1988

favortie Stadium to coming games or bids:

Torino 2006

Moscow 2012 Bid Stadium

NYC 2012 Bid Stadium "old design"

I can't wait what the stadium for Torino 2006 will look like at the end.

I think Atlanta Olympic Stadium is vastly under represented here! I think it is rather amazing to convert the oval shaped stadium into a baseball field and that it work nicly as both. Also the flow around it is much better than some stadiums. And then again I am biased....