Past Olympic Stadiums

mattygs

It's quite difficult. Definitly not a fan of Atlanta's stadium which was appalling. I liked Barcelona a lot - it was different and had that beautiful architecture at the clock end:

I'm actually a big fan of some of the winter Olympic stadiums.

Particularly Salt Lake and Lillehammer:

gal1994w_l_14.jpg

Lillehammer: great games and a fantastic Stadium idea

gal2002w_l_28.jpg

Another good use of a limited stadium to maximum effect

1992S_city.gif

Barcelona: beautiful architecture

It's quite difficult. Definitly not a fan of Atlanta's stadium which was appalling. I liked Barcelona a lot - it was different and had that beautiful architecture at the clock end:

I'm actually a big fan of some of the winter Olympic stadiums.

Particularly Salt Lake and Lillehammer:

gal1994w_l_14.jpg

Lillehammer: great games and a fantastic Stadium idea

gal2002w_l_28.jpg

Another good use of a limited stadium to maximum effect

1992S_city.gif

Barcelona: beautiful architecture

I agree Lillehammer had a great stadium.  Albertville's was just a temporary stadium but was spruced up quite nicely and had a great view of the mountains.

Albertville page.

This is a cool site.  This guy travels around to former host cities and snaps pics of the former venues and such.

Munich Olympic Stadium is by far the most beautiful IMO. It looks like it could have been designed and built in 2000, not 1972. It was way ahead of its time and a very original concept to connect the swimming complex with the main stadium.

I quite like Berlin's 1936 stadium.... very simple and beautiful....but also monumental, for all the wrong reasons.

Munich Olympic Stadium is by far the most beautiful IMO. It looks like it could have been designed and built in 2000, not 1972. It was way ahead of its time and a very original concept to connect the swimming complex with the main stadium.

I quite like Berlin's 1936 stadium.... very simple and beautiful....but also monumental, for all the wrong reasons.

I agree I forgot to mention Munich's stadium in my post.  Barcelona and Munich are the 2 best stadiums evre.

My favourite stadia are:

1. Montreal – so bold, so daring, so unique - an instant landmark.  Flawed in its execution, but brilliant in its design.

2. Munich – light and airy, almost like a dew-covered spider’s web.  Still a winner.

3. Berlin – perfect symmetry and clean lines.  Timeless.

4. Mexico City – often overlooked, but a classic beauty with its bright colours and Aztec mosaics.

5. Los Angeles – the arches make this relatively plain stadium an Olympian sensation.

Barcelona ranks high on my list too.  And while Sydney is nice, it isn’t an architectural wonder like most of the others on this list.  Moscow probably has the most unattractive Olympic stadium in recent history.

Interesting enough, the German Pavillion at Monteal's Expo 67 was designed with the same style as the Munich Olympic facilities...

germany-pavillion3.jpeg

That is true - the German pavilion at the EXPO 1967 in Montreal was the "blueprint" for the Olympic Stadium in Munich 1972 - the pavilion was built from Frei Otto and Rolf Gutbrod - the Stadium has been built from Behnisch in cooperation with Otto.

No....I really want to go to Berlin. Easy Jet have just started flying Bristol to Berlin (Schoenfeld)..... for 35 Euro's return!!! So I might try to get out there soon.....after I have paid off my credit card from my NYC trip!!  :)

No....I really want to go to Berlin. Easy Jet have just started flying Bristol to Berlin (Schoenfeld)..... for 35 Euro's return!!! So I might try to get out there soon.....after I have paid off my credit card from my NYC trip!!  :)

Please let me know, when you fly to Berlin - maybe we can meet there, because it is a wonderful place to be - it is so lively.

Please let me know, when you fly to Berlin - maybe we can meet there, because it is a wonderful place to be - it is so lively.

Will do....  :)

Will do....  :)

Good...

:wwww: