Sign in to follow this  
mattygs

Past Olympic Stadiums

Whats your favourite stadium from past games and how do they differ from today??

Ill start with the Sydney 2000 Olympic Stadium(now Telstra Stadium)

Sydney Olympic Stadium -2000

capacity-110,000

64c-big.jpg

Sydney Olympic Stadium (Telstra Stadium) -2004

capacity-83,500

TelstraStadium2004.jpg

My fave of all time is Montjuic Stadium in Barcelona!  Its absolutly beatiful, by far the nicest stadium in Olympic history (IMO anyways)

It's quite difficult. Definitly not a fan of Atlanta's stadium which was appalling. I liked Barcelona a lot - it was different and had that beautiful architecture at the clock end:

I'm actually a big fan of some of the winter Olympic stadiums.

Particularly Salt Lake and Lillehammer:

gal1994w_l_14.jpg

Lillehammer: great games and a fantastic Stadium idea

gal2002w_l_28.jpg

Another good use of a limited stadium to maximum effect

1992S_city.gif

Barcelona: beautiful architecture

It's quite difficult. Definitly not a fan of Atlanta's stadium which was appalling. I liked Barcelona a lot - it was different and had that beautiful architecture at the clock end:

I'm actually a big fan of some of the winter Olympic stadiums.

Particularly Salt Lake and Lillehammer:

gal1994w_l_14.jpg

Lillehammer: great games and a fantastic Stadium idea

gal2002w_l_28.jpg

Another good use of a limited stadium to maximum effect

1992S_city.gif

Barcelona: beautiful architecture

I agree Lillehammer had a great stadium.  Albertville's was just a temporary stadium but was spruced up quite nicely and had a great view of the mountains.

Albertville page.

This is a cool site.  This guy travels around to former host cities and snaps pics of the former venues and such.

Barcelona's is my favourite.

However, LA's is one I like quite alot too - well, especially in Olympic configuration how they had it in 84.

i like barcelonas and sydneys olympic stadiums. They were wonderful. I also like los angeles olympic stadium also.

Even though it will soon be unrecognisable from its olympic configuration, my favourite stadium is the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Capacity - Approx 100, 000.

MCG.jpg

night.jpg

Sydney 2000 is the best i like it very much, i also like Barcelona stadium it realy has beutifull architecture

Munich Olympic Stadium is by far the most beautiful IMO. It looks like it could have been designed and built in 2000, not 1972. It was way ahead of its time and a very original concept to connect the swimming complex with the main stadium.

I quite like Berlin's 1936 stadium.... very simple and beautiful....but also monumental, for all the wrong reasons.

Munich Olympic Stadium is by far the most beautiful IMO. It looks like it could have been designed and built in 2000, not 1972. It was way ahead of its time and a very original concept to connect the swimming complex with the main stadium.

I quite like Berlin's 1936 stadium.... very simple and beautiful....but also monumental, for all the wrong reasons.

I agree I forgot to mention Munich's stadium in my post.  Barcelona and Munich are the 2 best stadiums evre.

My favourite stadia are:

1. Montreal – so bold, so daring, so unique - an instant landmark.  Flawed in its execution, but brilliant in its design.

2. Munich – light and airy, almost like a dew-covered spider’s web.  Still a winner.

3. Berlin – perfect symmetry and clean lines.  Timeless.

4. Mexico City – often overlooked, but a classic beauty with its bright colours and Aztec mosaics.

5. Los Angeles – the arches make this relatively plain stadium an Olympian sensation.

Barcelona ranks high on my list too.  And while Sydney is nice, it isn’t an architectural wonder like most of the others on this list.  Moscow probably has the most unattractive Olympic stadium in recent history.

Your right, LA had a great Olympic stadium:

gal1984s_l_08.jpg

gal1984s_l_05.jpg

lewis_gal_l_03.jpg

Munich is also good - theyre building a new Munich stadium for the 2006 World Cup, anyone know what will happen to the current stadium?

Interesting enough, the German Pavillion at Monteal's Expo 67 was designed with the same style as the Munich Olympic facilities...

germany-pavillion3.jpeg

YEs thats where in the inpiration came from for the stadium and grounds of Munich.

Interesting enough, the German Pavillion at Monteal's Expo 67 was designed with the same style as the Munich Olympic facilities...

germany-pavillion3.jpeg

That is true - the German pavilion at the EXPO 1967 in Montreal was the "blueprint" for the Olympic Stadium in Munich 1972 - the pavilion was built from Frei Otto and Rolf Gutbrod - the Stadium has been built from Behnisch in cooperation with Otto.

No....I really want to go to Berlin. Easy Jet have just started flying Bristol to Berlin (Schoenfeld)..... for 35 Euro's return!!! So I might try to get out there soon.....after I have paid off my credit card from my NYC trip!!  :)

No....I really want to go to Berlin. Easy Jet have just started flying Bristol to Berlin (Schoenfeld)..... for 35 Euro's return!!! So I might try to get out there soon.....after I have paid off my credit card from my NYC trip!!  :)

Please let me know, when you fly to Berlin - maybe we can meet there, because it is a wonderful place to be - it is so lively.

Please let me know, when you fly to Berlin - maybe we can meet there, because it is a wonderful place to be - it is so lively.

Will do....  :)

Will do....  :)

Good...

:wwww:

I like Sydney, Barcelona,Munich et al - but really loved visiting the Tokyo Yoyogi Olympic Stadium.  It is a very simple, somewhat squat stadium, but it has a real sense of history attached - it has a presence.  I know that sounds dicky...