Fifa Ranking

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
They play football in Canada?

Honestly, I know more peoples that play Football that play Hockey... Football is very developed as a participation sport in Canada, its just not realy developed as a participation sport. Hopefully Toronto F.C. will help that a bit.

Dave199 and baron summarizes it the best here. On the "recreational" front, soccer is one of the most favorite sports amongst Canadian youth. But, on the athlete development front, it needs major work. Never mind that there seems, to me, no incentive in Canada to do it "on a professional level", unless they have to move to Europe, the USA, or other international locales to pursue this as a career.

I don't know about you guys, but this is got to be a major embarrassment for the Canadian men's team. It is now ranked in the lowest ranking ever in its history: in the TRIPLE digits. And, this comes months before the country hosts the U-20 tournament. What is going on here? Is Canada losing its talented players to worthy international clubs because of the "anemic" attitudes amongst those in charge of making Canadian soccer "successful"?

Oh, by the way, the ARGENTINE team is now NUMBER ONE!

Link: CBC: Canada Falls To Number 103 In FIFA Rankings

With that kind of "result", Soccer Canada better do something about it, like doing what this CBC article is reporting.

Link: CBC: Canadian Soccer Association Decides On New Coach

Honestly, I know more peoples that play Football that play Hockey... Football is very developed as a participation sport in Canada, its just not realy developed as a participation sport. Hopefully Toronto F.C. will help that a bit.

Help me out here

What he's trying to say is it's developed as a Participation sport here but not developed as a Professional sport. I think he made a typo.

It is inded what hapened.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, not much of a reprieve, but it is better than what Canada was ranked previously. Ranked 94th now. :P As for the #1 position, Italy grabbed it back from the Argentines.

Link: CBC: Italy Returns To No. 1 In FIFA Rankings; Canada Climbs 9 Spots

cannavaro-fabio060709getty.jpg

• 1 month later...
They have been winning games lately. They are still competing in the CONCACAF Gold Cup at the moment I believe.

Exactely. In their last 4 games, Canada won 3 and tied 1 :

3x0 Bermuda 2x2 Venezuela 2x1 Costa Rica :rolleyes: 2x0 Haiti

one may argue that these aren´t expressive adversaries, but it´s enough to get a few points, counting also with the loss of points of some teams like Burkina Faso, Macedonia, Hungary, Belgium. They all were ahead of Canada before

In women´s ranking, on the other side, Canada is currently 9th... not bad .

Exactely. In their last 4 games, Canada won 3 and tied 1 :

3x0 Bermuda 2x2 Venezuela 2x1 Costa Rica :rolleyes: 2x0 Haiti

one may argue that these aren´t expressive adversaries, but it´s enough to get a few points, counting also with the loss of points of some teams like Burkina Faso, Macedonia, Hungary, Belgium. They all were ahead of Canada before

In women´s ranking, on the other side, Canada is currently 9th... not bad .

ELO rankings have had Canada in the 50's for a long time. Canada is not that good at football, but good enough to do better than they have been in qualifying.

What is exactly the purpose of such a ranking? If a continent has many matches in short (such as the Gold Cup) then there is a great change that some of those countries get many points. Esspecially when other continents don't hold matches.....

What is exactly the purpose of such a ranking? If a continent has many matches in short (such as the Gold Cup) then there is a great change that some of those countries get many points. Esspecially when other continents don't hold matches.....

That´s exactely what happens with the Fifa ranking. The most you play, the most you win, more points you get. You don´t necessarily need to defeat better ranked teams, you just need to defeat a lot of other teams.

I just wonder when Canada will ever qualify for a World Cup again?

CONCACAF has 3 spots. The first two are always taken by the USA and Mexico and the last spot is the one that's always up for grabs.

If the Canadian players can get its act together, there is always that chance. Otherwise, back to the drawing board with them. <_<

Archived