Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

aussie*supporter

Who Will Top The Medal Tally Board In Future.

Who do you think will top the charts in the olympic games?

Will it be usa still?

China?

India?

I am surprised you don't mention Vietnam. You seem to be a fan great of this country......

It should eventually become India, since its population is schedules to raise faster than China's. Still a LOT of work to doe, tough.

It should eventually become India, since its population is schedules to raise faster than China's. Still a LOT of work to doe, tough.

Yeah, like learn to be interested in any sports other than cricket.

Yeah, like learn to be interested in any sports other than cricket.

yea exactyl they have a bloody lot of work to do if they are ever going to top the medal table. I personally think that it will be china! Having the games at home always gives the home team an advantage which means more medals (except for canada in 1976 who didnt win a gold medal!!). China will top the table in 08 and i think this will continue in 2012 and beyond

Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see China just miss out and the USA continue at the top _ remember, the USA's strength is the multi-event, multi-medal sports like athletics and swimming.

Whoever tops, though, it's gonna be a spicy race to watch! The first decent challenge the US will get at a summer games since the Eastern Bloc went belly-up.

Well it looks like China is hosing down expectations:

BEIJING, March 20, 2007 (AFP) - China has no ambition to overtake the United States and become the world's sporting superpower at next year's Beijing Olympics, organising committee president Liu Qi said here Tuesday.

``Frankly, China's sports development is quite fast but our ambition is not to top the gold medal standings at the Beijing Olympics,'' Liu said during a meeting here with AFP chairman Pierre Louette.

``After all it's competing, not the results that count.''

Beijing was far more interested in using the Olympics to showcase China's rich culture and civilisation and promote an image of economic and social development.

``We want to show that China is a country rich in history and civilisation,'' he said. ``We also want the whole world to see the economic and social progress of China.''

China finished second in the medal standings at the Athens Games in 2004 -- its best ever performance at an Olympics -- winning 32 golds to 35 for the United States.

``We have carefully researched our performance at Athens and at the previous games in Sydney (in 2000) and I think we can keep the same standards in 2008 although it would be good to do better,'' said Liu, who is also member of the politburo of China's Communist Party and head of the Beijing party.

However, he said that the Chinese are not interested in toppling the United States by coming first at the Beijing Games.

``Foreigners often ask whether that is our ambition, but we don't even talk about it in China,'' he said.

AFP chairman Louette is on a week-long visit to Beijing to review preparations for the Beijing Games.

AFP