2007 Cricket World Cup

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A result that gives the Irish a place in the ICC one-day rankings, guaranteeing them matches against major nations on a regular basis. Fantastic news for Irish cricket and hopefully they can build on this achievement in the years ahead.

Grenada is where today's action is taking place, with Australia chasing 227 to beat Sri Lanka, who have rested both Chaminda Vaas and Muttiah Muralitharan.

A result that gives the Irish a place in the ICC one-day rankings, guaranteeing them matches against major nations on a regular basis. Fantastic news for Irish cricket and hopefully they can build on this achievement in the years ahead.

You could say the Ireland has "WON" it's world cup!!!

Entry into the major tier of first class playing nations!

..,And we all laughed when Sri Lanka entered a well.

CONGRATS IRELAND!!

CONGRATS IRELAND!!

yea great stuff IReland!

CONGRATS IRELAND!!

Well, I know this raises their ranking and gets them more quality one-day fixtures. How are Ireland at the five-day game, though? Is it likely that we will also soon see them elevated to Test nation status?

The cricket World Cup is far too slow - perhaps they should have delayed the death/murder until later in the tournament to create a little more interest before the semi finals.

There is more to that, Stu. It seems, according to some and this BBC article, that the 2007 Cricket World Cup has become a flop overall.

Link: BBC: Cricket World Cup - Hit Or Flop?

laun.jpg

It seems that interest has waned, trinkets too expensive and the overall unique Caribbean atmosphere was gone. I don't know because I do not know enough of the sport and what the Caribbean lifestyle is like.

New Zealand have been thrashed by australia by 215 runs. New Zealand only managed to get 133 all out. Bloody hopeless. Lets hope they can improve before the semi finals

There is more to that, Stu. It seems, according to some and this BBC article, that the 2007 Cricket World Cup has become a flop overall.

Link: BBC: Cricket World Cup - Hit Or Flop?

laun.jpg

It seems that interest has waned, trinkets too expensive and the overall unique Caribbean atmosphere was gone. I don't know because I do not know enough of the sport and what the Caribbean lifestyle is like.

I have to say the tournament has been a real disappointment. When I think of cricket in the Caribbean, I think of all the noise, the colour, the dancing and the music. It generates a unique atmosphere that, even when you're sitting thousands of miles away watching or listening to it, you can feel like you are also a part of it.

But this tournament has not been like that for one principal reason - the ticket prices. They have been far too high from the off. Whoever set them should be sacked. It may be that things improve really from tomorrow onwards given that it will be Brian Lara's last match, then the knockout games, but lessons will need to be learned.

well the good news is new zealand is into the semi finals but the bad news is that we got absolutely smashed by australia over night. One of your worst ever defeats! SHOCKING! They are going to need to improve consideribly before the semi final against sri lanka or we will be on our way home! Oram and Bond were rested for the Australia game, so they will bring added fire power back into the team for the semi final

well the good news is new zealand is into the semi finals but the bad news is that we got absolutely smashed by australia over night. One of your worst ever defeats! SHOCKING! They are going to need to improve consideribly before the semi final against sri lanka or we will be on our way home! Oram and Bond were rested for the Australia game, so they will bring added fire power back into the team for the semi final

I beleive the Black Caps were sandbagging, The match was a no result, mearly a practise to see what Australia is capiable of and what tactics will be needed to beat them if NZ can get past Sri Lanka.

Still, I am of the opinion that Sri Lanka will end NZs world cup this week.

...Oh yeah, as for the event its self, far toooooo long and boring to hold interest, these men are athletes and I'm sure that a more intensive WC lasting 28 days should be the test of their mettle.

Looks like a cracking game at the Kensington Oval today in the climax of the Super Eights. West Indies were bowled out for 300, but England squeaked home by one wicket with just one ball to spare. A great, and deserved, send-off for departing England coach Duncan Fletcher. He deserved that after everything he's done over the past eight years.

Looks like a cracking game at the Kensington Oval today in the climax of the Super Eights. West Indies were bowled out for 300, but England squeaked home by one wicket with just one ball to spare. A great, and deserved, send-off for departing England coach Duncan Fletcher. He deserved that after everything he's done over the past eight years.

sounds like a fantastic game!!

It would be remiss of me not to mention the swansong also today of the great Brian Charles Lara. He only made 18 before being run out by his partner calling him for a run that was never there, but what a great player he has been. I had the privilege of watching him live, albeit briefly, at Old Trafford in 2004 where he made the best seven I've ever seen. He got the seven to get to the milestone of 10,000 Test match runs, which I had wanted to see him achieve, before getting out very next ball as England went on to win the match. I was hoping I would see his last international appearance at the Durham Test match in June, but it's not to be. A player like Lara earns the right to go out on his own terms, I guess.

It would be remiss of me not to mention the swansong also today of the great Brian Charles Lara. He only made 18 before being run out by his partner calling him for a run that was never there, but what a great player he has been. I had the privilege of watching him live, albeit briefly, at Old Trafford in 2004 where he made the best seven I've ever seen. He got the seven to get to the milestone of 10,000 Test match runs, which I had wanted to see him achieve, before getting out very next ball as England went on to win the match. I was hoping I would see his last international appearance at the Durham Test match in June, but it's not to be. A player like Lara earns the right to go out on his own terms, I guess.

A fantastic Player who west indian cricket will definately miss!!

Whats wrong with a 4 group of 4 tournament with the top two going into quarter-final matchups instead of the super eight to the semi's, seems to make more sense.

I think that is a good idea. I no this is the format that is used in rugby union

Archived