Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guardian

2007 Cricket World Cup

Why are Zimbabwe even there?

Anyway, day three has seen a moment of history with South Africa's Herschelle Gibbs becoming the first man to hit six sixes in an over in a one-day international against Holland.

Meanwhile, in St Lucia, New Zealand are rebuilding after being reduced to 19-3 against England. They're now 44-3, chasing 210 to win.

New Zealand win by six wickets! Some poor english fielding and some good batting by oram and styris saw new zealand through!

a great win for new zealand

Will the real England cricket team please stand up? Let's face it - we didn't exactly make you work for it.

Will the real England cricket team please stand up? Let's face it - we didn't exactly make you work for it.

Really, this month is for the super eight nations to get into some practise, the "minow" nations are there to make a World Cup just that. The whole event will ratchet up in April when the real stuff begins!

New Zealand is ranked fourth in this World Cup, behind South Africa, Australia and Sri Lanka. England, India, Pakestian, and the West Indies rounding out.

I expect more of a fight, though.

Anyway, just watch out for Ireland against Pakistan. They've bowled Pakistan out for just 132.

Bangladesh beat India in a shocker

Ireland is probably gonna beat Pakistan so that is two countries with troubles ahead.

Bangladesh beat India in a shocker

Ireland is probably gonna beat Pakistan so that is two countries with troubles ahead.

This is what it's all about, a dark horse and a struggler beating the odds.

However some of these nations, England included may be positioning themselves for an easier pool matchup in super eight round.

Ireland beats Pakistan.

Link: BBC: Ireland Shock Sends Pakistan Home

Well, one of the former World Cup holders is now going home.

_42694519_boyd203.jpg

_42695007_botha203.jpg

Bangladesh beats India.

Link: BBC: India vs. Bangladesh

_42694835_tigers203.jpg

Today, it will be Australia versus the Netherlands and Canada versus England.

I wouldn't like to be on the end of the reception that Pakistan will get when they go home.

I wouldn't like to be on the end of the reception that Pakistan will get when they go home.

yea i reckon! Who would have thought that Ireland would beat Pakistan and Bangladesh beat India on the same day. What were iRELAND paying to beat Pakistan? I wish i put a spare $10 on that game!

:rolleyes: A good effort by Ireland although I'd expect they will come thumping back to earth when they take on the West Indies.

Well done to Bangladesh as well. They have a habit of causing upsets and India looks likely to be going home soon. That will leave the once minnows now ODI superpower Sri Lanka to fly the flag for the sub continent, the next hosts.

As for those who are complianing that Zimbabwe is there, sending them home early will just enrage the senile dictator Mugabe even more, hang in there, change is only weeks away.

We can only hope, seeing as certain governments seemingly aren't willing to act as there's little or nothing in it for them.

Flintoff was dropped after a reported breach of team discipline. But that pales into insignificance compared to the desperate news of the death of the Pakistan coach Bob Woolmer today.

Woolmer, who was 58, was found in his hotel room in Kingston unconscious this afternoon British time and taken to hospital. It was confirmed he had died at around 6pm British time this evening. An absolutely awful piece of news. Bob Woolmer was, first and foremost, a good Test player for England before becoming a truly outstanding and innovative coach. He will be very sadly missed.

The action continues on the field with Australia comfortably beating Holland, while Flintoff-less England look like they're heading for victory against Canada.

England have now beaten Canada by 51 runs.

They did not win that game as easily as i thought. Australia have thrashed the Neatherlands. What a shock about the Woolmer, it must have been a heart attack brought on by stress, but my condolences go out to the Pakistani team and Woolers family

This tragic news comes, when I saw earlier today in my BBC satellite news that some Pakistanis were burning something. I didn't hear or really see what they were burning, but it wouldn't be a surprise if they were effigies of the Pakistani cricket team, especially the one of the coach.

Bob Woolmer's death has cast a shadow over the event, and I hope this will reflect on Parkistan. I too saw the pictures of fanatical parkistanis burning effergies of the team and coach. It looks like the "heart attack" is a cover for somting more sinister.

What a shame. :(

You think it an assnination ? Like I mean Pakistan really sucked this time and maybe the fans were angry ?

You think it an assnination ? Like I mean Pakistan really sucked this time and maybe the fans were angry ?

I really doubt murder or assasination. But there is speculation of pills and alchohol in his blood, so suicide is not out of the question.

It is not appropriate for us, or anybody else for that matter, to speculate on what caused Bob Woolmer's untimely death. I'm sure the cause will be revealed in time.

The cricket continues meanwhile, with South Africa 88-0 after 11 overs, chasing 187 to beat Scotland in Group A.

Meanwhile in Group C, New Zealand have made 331-7 against 2003 semi-finalists Kenya.

The cricket continues meanwhile, with South Africa 88-0 after 11 overs, chasing 187 to beat Scotland in Group A.

Meanwhile in Group C, New Zealand have made 331-7 against 2003 semi-finalists Kenya.

well SOuth Africa have beaten Scotland and New Zealand look like they are crusing to victory against Kenya! So no suprises today