2007 Cricket World Cup

Yeah, the supereights are IMO just time waisting. Rank it all on run rates for quaters and semi positionings. The WC would be over by now!

Yaaaawwwnnn!

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have to say the tournament has been a real disappointment. When I think of cricket in the Caribbean, I think of all the noise, the colour, the dancing and the music. It generates a unique atmosphere that, even when you're sitting thousands of miles away watching or listening to it, you can feel like you are also a part of it.

But this tournament has not been like that for one principal reason - the ticket prices. They have been far too high from the off. Whoever set them should be sacked. It may be that things improve really from tomorrow onwards given that it will be Brian Lara's last match, then the knockout games, but lessons will need to be learned.

I agree with you totally here arwebb. Clearly, the atmosphere and crowds were there for the taking in the Caribbean, but somehow they chose to try and fleece and get their money from the likes of England, Australia etc supporters. Well, it backfired on them big time and everybody has been talking about it! Even poor old Gravy couldn't salvage the situation despite his efforts with the various 'alternative' versions to the world cup!

They tried to rectify a little with offering some tickets to school age supporters, but not enought to fill the stadiums... I'm sure there will be an inquiry at the end of the tournament.

Still, despite the lack of large crowds, I still think the Caribbean people have acquitted themselves well during this world cup. What little support has turned up has sung, danced ther hearts out and shouted for all teams.

What I didn't realise was just how much it rains! Good grief, I'll never whinge again about rain spoiling cricket matches in Britain!

I agree with you totally here arwebb. Clearly, the atmosphere and crowds were there for the taking in the Caribbean, but somehow they chose to try and fleece and get their money from the likes of England, Australia etc supporters. Well, it backfired on them big time and everybody has been talking about it! Even poor old Gravy couldn't salvage the situation despite his efforts with the various 'alternative' versions to the world cup!

They tried to rectify a little with offering some tickets to school age supporters, but not enought to fill the stadiums... I'm sure there will be an inquiry at the end of the tournament.

Still, despite the lack of large crowds, I still think the Caribbean people have acquitted themselves well during this world cup. What little support has turned up has sung, danced ther hearts out and shouted for all teams.

What I didn't realise was just how much it rains! Good grief, I'll never whinge again about rain spoiling cricket matches in Britain!

This is the raining season for most of the Caribbean Islands, it will get worse and than in September it will be huricane time and than in November the weather gets nice and lovely. I have been to the caribbean twice.

This is the raining season for most of the Caribbean Islands, it will get worse and than in September it will be huricane time and than in November the weather gets nice and lovely. I have been to the caribbean twice.

I'm aware that it's the rainy season, but the question is did the organisers? Also, if they realised this, why didn't they counteract with cheap(er) tickets and more incentives. I am pleased though with the excellent new stadiums they have now because of the World Cup.

I'm aware that it's the rainy season, but the question is did the organisers? Also, if they realised this, why didn't they counteract with cheap(er) tickets and more incentives. I am pleased though with the excellent new stadiums they have now because of the World Cup.

I am guessing because the length of the tournament the dates had to be choosen accordingly to miss any possible hurricanes which run june to october and not interfere with major European and NA holiday times between November and mid March. The organizers brought in the cricket tourist in down season so that they could like it and decide to come back during the main season.

Cricket is a ridiculously long sport; it only fits that it also has a ridiculously long tournament. Cricket is a bigger niche sport than ice hockey and that’s saying something. It’s a waste of time and good athletic ability to continue on with such an archaic game that still has many of the attributes of the elitist attitudes of its British creators, I mean baseball sucks, but at least it’s shorter and makes more sense than cricket. Cricket has no place at major international events and the world cup should not be included in the premier championships of sport, because it really isn’t. Most of the world could care less about such a mundane sport that perfectly reflects the British. A very uptight, elitist sport that is rampant with racism, corruption and stupidity. What is the point of moving the international headquarters to Dubai, a 100 years ago that city was a vast dessert and the nomads were running around chopping each others heads and other parts off, that’s what they are going to be doing in another 100 years when the oil runs out or people just lose interesting in it.

Cricket is a ridiculously long sport; it only fits that it also has a ridiculously long tournament. Cricket is a bigger niche sport than ice hockey and that’s saying something. It’s a waste of time and good athletic ability to continue on with such an archaic game that still has many of the attributes of the elitist attitudes of its British creators, I mean baseball sucks, but at least it’s shorter and makes more sense than cricket. Cricket has no place at major international events and the world cup should not be included in the premier championships of sport, because it really isn’t. Most of the world could care less about such a mundane sport that perfectly reflects the British. A very uptight, elitist sport that is rampant with racism, corruption and stupidity. What is the point of moving the international headquarters to Dubai, a 100 years ago that city was a vast dessert and the nomads were running around chopping each others heads and other parts off, that’s what they are going to be doing in another 100 years when the oil runs out or people just lose interesting in it.

If you don't like the sport, then don't watch it mate, you're the one who sounds like the uptight elitist right now. And how on earth is current day cricket racist? No Norwegines? Oh how dreadful.

Well New Zealand's gone...Total capitulation...in typical cricket fashion!

WHAT A BUNCH OF USLESS SO AND SO'S!

Stephen Fleaming has resigned as One Day Captain...

This will not be enough!!!!!

New Zealand Cricket is really struggling for exposure and the WC was hoping to be the spark that would start to fill the major stadiums again...

Alas allis now lost as the Black Caps will know doubt find out when they return to NZ empty handed.

Disgusting!

MORE HEADS WILL ROLL.

New Zealand Cricket is really struggling for exposure and the WC was hoping to be the spark that would start to fill the major stadiums again...

Alas allis now lost as the Black Caps will know doubt find out when they return to NZ empty handed.

Disgusting!

MORE HEADS WILL ROLL.

What they needed to do was show some "ARROGANCE"!

Yeah but you have to be really good to use the "arrogance" moniker.

New Zealand is just to fickle in it's performance, good one day, brilliant the next, downright useless another...

...and today was another!

Disgusting!

MORE HEADS WILL ROLL.

The only thing disgusting is your atittude. They lost ok, it sucks but the blackcaps were out played by Sri Lanka twice. I don't know why everybody was building them up, we no the blackcaps are inconsitant. It's not as if Sri Lanka weren’t worthy winners.

Zimbabwe for instance and the ICC"s unwillingness to do anything about their overtly racist practices.

Right...and the IOC, FIFA, FINA, IRB etc. have done anything?

I've been alive longer than you Steve-o, I can remember when the "Young Guns", the Black Caps of an earlier era, WERE consistantly good.

It all came undone when a certain Stephen Fleaming and a bunch of other young rabble entered onto the scene just after the Crowe/Leese era ended in 1993!

A disappointing end to new zealands world cup campaign. But i am happy that we made the semi finals. Stephen Fleming has resigned as captain, but he has been a brilliant captain and he is regarded by many commentators as one of our best ever captains. Is it true that Fleming wants to continue as our test captain?

I've been alive longer than you Steve-o, I can remember when the "Young Guns", the Black Caps of an earlier era, WERE consistantly good.

Thats got nothing to do with it, I just think you (and alot of people here) had to many expectations in this team and to call the loss "Disgusting" is pretty harsh mate.

C'mon guys, I know it's disappointing, but making the semis at the expense of the likes of India, Pakistan and England was a great achievement.

Anyway, I'm sure that OTHER World Cup in France later this year would be dearer to your hearts.

Anyway, as little as cricket is dear to MY heart, and there's very few on the Oz team that I admire at all, my patriotic heart is happy that Oz has made it into the final _ a repeat of the 1996, which for some strange reason I actually do remember well (though the result went against us on that occasion)!

C'mon guys, I know it's disappointing, but making the semis at the expense of the likes of India, Pakistan and England was a great achievement.

Anyway, I'm sure that OTHER World Cup in France later this year would be dearer to your hearts.

Anyway, as little as cricket is dear to MY heart, and there's very few on the Oz team that I admire at all, my patriotic heart is happy that Oz has made it into the final _ a repeat of the 1996, which for some strange reason I actually do remember well (though the result went against us on that occasion)!

Exactly: I think overall new zealand did well at the world cup! I think australia will beat sri lanka in a repeat of the 96 cup final

I think the opposite. I don't think Australia have been properly tested yet, and Sri Lanka have the necessary firepower with bat and ball to beat them.

really! O well you never no, sri lanka might beat australia but i think the aussies will get home! They wont let a repeat of 1996 happen

There's no doubt that the best two teams in the tournament have made the final. Sri Lanka have a very good attack with a lot of variety and the nous to tie the Aussies down. I know it seems to go against everything we've seen in this tournament, but I just fancy Sri Lanka to win.

I have to say the tournament has been a real disappointment. When I think of cricket in the Caribbean, I think of all the noise, the colour, the dancing and the music. It generates a unique atmosphere that, even when you're sitting thousands of miles away watching or listening to it, you can feel like you are also a part of it.

But this tournament has not been like that for one principal reason - the ticket prices. They have been far too high from the off. Whoever set them should be sacked. It may be that things improve really from tomorrow onwards given that it will be Brian Lara's last match, then the knockout games, but lessons will need to be learned.

From what I heard, the tournament was considered "too long in length of time."

It is now all over. AUSTRALIA wins another Cricket World Cup.

Link: BBC-> Final: Australia vs. Sri Lanka

WORLD CUP FINAL, BARBADOS: Australia 281-4 beat Sri Lanka 215-8 by 53 runs (D/L method)

_42860767_gilc2_270.jpg

See you at the Indian subcontinent area for the 2011 World Cup. That means Bangladesh, India, Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

Well I'm glad that WC is over!!

Positives to come out have to be Bangladesh and Ireland!!!!

Really the next WC will be a non-event, sorry to say...Then again the power houses may be more vunerable this time, playing at home COULD be murder!

Roll on Australia/New Zealand 2015! :lol:

Well I'm glad that WC is over!!

Positives to come out have to be Bangladesh and Ireland!!!!

Really the next WC will be a non-event, sorry to say...Then again the power houses may be more vunerable this time, playing at home COULD be murder!

Roll on Australia/New Zealand 2015! :lol:

yea its been a long drawn out world cup! Congratulations Australia!

Archived