Torino 2006

Guardian

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

/\/\ Wow. See, a luge-bobsled track is just ANOTHER white elephant that costs in the $100 million range to build, and gets how much use each year? They should just ditch luge and bobsled. After all, only, what? 18 nations participate in it?? And already caused a death in Vancouver!

You have to also consider that Winter sports doesn't attract much of attention in a football-centric country like Italy (a considerable amount of people were paying more attention to the League than the games, or even knew that the games were being held there)

You have to also consider that Winter sports doesn't attract much of attention in a football-centric country like Italy (a considerable amount of people were paying more attention to the League than the games, or even knew that the games were being held there)

But Italy is a country of 60 million people. That's enough people to spread out between Winter sports and the football league; and they don't have to be exclusively on sports over the other. I am sure they can have overlapping following. But luge-bobsled is really such a minor sport. It is such a fleeting sport. I mean, you see the damned car for a few seconds, and then it's gone. The fact that the Russians, Germans and 8 Jamaicans :lol: love it, doesn't mean it should stay in the Olympics forever.

That's an horrible news for bob & luge.... soon it will disappear from the Olympic Program as IOC would not want to ask cities to invest in such facility with no legacy !

I doubt they disappear from the program. The problem is the high maintenance costs. Before building a facility the IOC should ask bid ciites for a legacy plan that will sustain the facility.

I doubt they disappear from the program. The problem is the high maintenance costs. Before building a facility the IOC should ask bid ciites for a legacy plan that will sustain the facility.

2 options... Bid cities will continue to lie on the possible legacy of such infrastructure... or there will not be bidding as they would not want to commit to such infrastructures as there is no legacy for it !!!

So IOC will be in troubles... with no bidding cities.... or with a bad reputation as contributing to debts in countries by forcing them to build and maintain such venues.... or even one day with one elected host city deciding to not built the track....

2 options... Bid cities will continue to lie on the possible legacy of such infrastructure... or there will not be bidding as they would not want to commit to such infrastructures as there is no legacy for it !!!

So IOC will be in troubles... with no bidding cities.... or with a bad reputation as contributing to debts in countries by forcing them to build and maintain such venues.... or even one day with one elected host city deciding to not built the track....

Hmm I agree Whistler's track is barely used. Maybe they should consider building more cheaper and temporary venues. There is no way the IOC is going to remove a fifth of its sport program. It just ain't happening.

Maybe but with hosts lining up how soon do you think that will happen?

Well, would-be hosts better study the case of this luge-bobsled item very well. It just seems like a $100-million dollar millstone on one's neck. And the IOC should not turn a blind eye to their wants vs. just saying 'yes' to naive bidders who would grant their every vainglorious wish regardless of the almost 'negative' legacy aspect in this case.

Wikipedia lists 18 working luge-bobsled tracks in 1 form or another:

Europe already has (of the last 25 years or so) around 13 + the one coming up for Sochi.

Asia has Nagano; and pretty soon will have Alpensia, too.

North America has Lake Placid, Calgary, Park City and Whistler.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_bobsleigh,_luge,_and_skeleton_tracks

So that makes at least 18/19 working luge-bobsled tracks for pretty much a 24-nation competitive event. Does the Earth really need more? If so, the IOC and the Luge-Bobsled federations I think should pay for future ones.

The closing of the 2006 bobsled and luge track in Turin appears to be a case of real estate evaluations.

Svein Romstad, secretary general of the International Luge Federation, tells Around the Rings the land was purchased by a U.S. corporation that deemed the best use of the land did not include a sliding venue “when applying the traditional commercial real estate principle of ‘highest and best use of the land.'"

“Ever since the Olympic Games in 2006, we have been using the track on a regular basis, including hosting a World Championships,” he added.

“So, unlike some venues that have been pretty much abandoned following an Olympic Games, this was an operational venue that simply fell prey to a commercial real estate evaluation.”

ATR

Oh, the benefits of capitalism... ;)

However, if it should really prove unsustainable for future Winter Games hosts to build a new sliding track, they should consider using existing tracks in other parts of the country, even if they are farther away. Denver, for example, could use the track in Salt Lake City. I wouldn't see such a big deal there, since the Summer Games are also spread across the host country in terms of the football tournament. And if it's only for the sliding competitions, I think one can bear that.

Denver, for example, could use the track in Salt Lake City. I wouldn't see such a big deal there, since the Summer Games are also spread across the host country in terms of the football tournament. And if it's only for the sliding competitions, I think one can bear that.

Good point. And technically, the track used by SLC is in Park City, an entirely separate jurisdiction from Salt Lake City proper.

However, if it should really prove unsustainable for future Winter Games hosts to build a new sliding track, they should consider using existing tracks in other parts of the country, even if they are farther away. Denver, for example, could use the track in Salt Lake City. I wouldn't see such a big deal there, since the Summer Games are also spread across the host country in terms of the football tournament. And if it's only for the sliding competitions, I think one can bear that.

One can bear it. But can the IOC? Especially if they have other candidates proposing more centralized options?

One can bear it. But can the IOC? Especially if they have other candidates proposing more centralized options?

I think it you can sell it to the Bobsled/Luge Federation, and they are reasonable, a distant, pre-existing venue might be acceptable. Sell the idea to the non-winter-nation delegates, and their numbers might overturn the recalcitrant votes of the winter purists.

I think it you can sell it to the Bobsled/Luge Federation, and they are reasonable, a distant, pre-existing venue might be acceptable. Sell the idea to the non-winter-nation delegates, and their numbers might overturn the recalcitrant votes of the winter purists.

I think that's a stretch. The bid would need a lot of compelling strong points to get past a far flung sliding track.

Archived