Torino 2006

Guardian

4gnjxhv.jpg

I love this reaction of her lighting the Olympic cauldron. Thanks, Rei, for this very picture.

By the way, Rei, since today is the eve of the 19th anniversary of Calgary 1988, have you been to YouTube yet? If you could believe this, someone uploaded a couple of clips of Alberto Tomba's Calgary 1988 runs then.

Links:

1. Clip #1

2. Clip #2

3. Clip #3

I think I got them all. Anyway, having Tomba start the final run to the lighting of the Olympic cauldron by Belmondo in that stadium was great.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much thanks Guardian. I really appreciated it. ;)

As the lifhting of the cauldron perhaps they would could have exalted even better the moment if the final torch bearer would have been Tomba rather than Belmondo. If so there would have been a more crescent climax.

Although Stefania is the italian athlete to have won more medals than anyone, Alberto is to be considered the greatest italian (and maybe international) winter olympic champion, in Italy as abroad.

I hope Vancouver could see the ransom of italian ski as in Calgary.

i personaly didnt like the lighting of the cauldron... I think the organizers did too much attention on "how can we make it spectacular" and forgot its true sense.. I also didnt like that it was no diect lighting... i mean the flame travels from olympia to athens to italy, all around italy from torch to torch and the cauldron gets the light from some mechanism? And those fireworks to get the impression that the flame lights the cauldron.. Dont get me wrong it looked very good,... for a new years eve celebration... a las vegas show... but not for the Olympic Games..

naaaa... insignificant details, savas.

If you give too much credit to certain ceremonials you risk to miss the REAL OLYMPIC SPIRITS.. and Torino honoured these games starting from the hard fight to doping to finish with the huge efforts to welcome the athletes.

Who really cares if the cauldron wasn't "directly" lighted by the oly flame (well technically yes as the fireworks are generated by the flame).. details.

i personaly didnt like the lighting of the cauldron... I think the organizers did too much attention on "how can we make it spectacular" and forgot its true sense.. I also didnt like that it was no diect lighting... i mean the flame travels from olympia to athens to italy, all around italy from torch to torch and the cauldron gets the light from some mechanism? And those fireworks to get the impression that the flame lights the cauldron.. Dont get me wrong it looked very good,... for a new years eve celebration... a las vegas show... but not for the Olympic Games..

Yes, that was the main criticism from traditionalists, not the runners or the torch bearers, but the fact it wasn't actually the flame that travelled from Olympia that directly lit the cauldron in Torino _ sparkling off an electronic mechanism from the other end of the stadium was a bit too divorced.

It didn't bother me, I thought it looked spectacular, but I remember a few negative comments from the traditionalists the day after the ceremony. Don't take it to heart, Rei. Some people like it traditional and simple and some people like spectacle. It's all individual taste and inclinations.

I apologize for getting away from the cauldron debate, but can anybody who has a copy of the opening ceremony tell me the name of the song that was played during the parade of nations as Denmark and Estonia came in. I just heard it today over the speakers at the grocery store and it nags me that I just can't come up with the title of that song.

• 2 weeks later...
We did great in Torino but man did we suck in Hockey. Joe Sakic worked his butt off there and the other team members, well...

Well, it will be more pressure for the Canadian men's team to perform at the Winter Olympics at home. First, Canada was out of the medals there in 1988, placing fourth I believe. Second, we still do not know if the NHL players will be allowed to play in the Winter Olympics past 2010.

Well, it will be more pressure for the Canadian men's team to perform at the Winter Olympics at home. First, Canada was out of the medals there in 1988, placing fourth I believe. Second, we still do not know if the NHL players will be allowed to play in the Winter Olympics past 2010.

It's like what would've been the point of expanding the ice surface at GM Place to international, when most of them are NHL players that have already played at GM Place on NHL sized ice.

It's like what would've been the point of expanding the ice surface at GM Place to international, when most of them are NHL players that have already played at GM Place on NHL sized ice.

Then, it might lead to some people in INTERNATIONAL ice hockey to potentially say to themselves, "Is the IIHF kowtowing to the NHL here?" I don't know if this is truth, but I thought I read something here or in the Internet stating that, in order to get the Winter Olympics to come to your city, you may have to start "kissing Bettman's feet" in order to get it? Don't ask me how in the world I had that in my head, but it wasn't my words and yet I thought I saw some ridiculous statement like that somewhere not too long ago.

Wow. That is a lot of YouTube entries about Torino 2006.

Link: YouTube Torino 2006 Pages

In this case, I used the "sort by date added" command here and, according to it, there seems to be about 1,200 entries so far as of this date.

• 2 weeks later...

Why does it really matter? There were no ancient winter games held at Olympia. Didn't the Norwegians light the Lillehammer flame in the fireplace of the home of Sondre Nordheim, the father the skiing?

Why does it really matter? There were no ancient winter games held at Olympia. Didn't the Norwegians light the Lillehammer flame in the fireplace of the home of Sondre Nordheim, the father the skiing?

I meant the father of modern skiing.

I don't believe so. At least, I didn't read or hear any news about that.

I don't believe so. At least, I didn't read or hear any news about that.

Two flames were used for Lillehammer. One lit in Olympia that traveled to Oslo accross Europe and the other one in the fireplace of the home of Sondre Nordheim that traveled across Norway. the two flames were reunited shortly before the Opening Ceremony (Source: Lillehammer Official Report)

Two flames were used for Lillehammer. One lit in Olympia that traveled to Oslo accross Europe and the other one in the fireplace of the home of Sondre Nordheim that traveled across Norway. the two flames were reunited shortly before the Opening Ceremony (Source: Lillehammer Official Report)

Thanks for the info, cfm Jeremie. And, to think, CTV then in my country didn't not mention any of this. With them having the hosting broadcast rights for 2010, it will be interesting on how they will broadcast it to home viewers.

• 1 month later...

Torino 2006 was Bode Miller's last Winter Olympics. He will not participate in Vancouver 2010 and, yesterday, he was stated that he has withdrawn himself from the American alpine team.

Link: CBC: Maverick Miller Leaving U.S. Ski Team

miller-bode-getty-061201.jpg

• 1 month later...

Rei, Torino will get to host the ISU's Grand Prix figure skating FINAL this upcoming season in December. I will have to assume that the ice arena that hosted the Olympic competition last year will be the venue for this event.

Ya Guardian.. the ISU's GP will take place into the Palavela, the same venue which hosted short-track and figure skating during the 2006 olympics.

I will need to see the entry list for the whole 6-Grand Prix circuit because I wasn't sure if there were any Italian figure skaters on it.

I think that this will be the first time ever that the Grand Prix Final will be held in a country that has never hosted a regular senior Grand Prix event. I'd like to see more Grand Prix events sprout up in the following years, so that figure skating will continue to expand.

I will need to see the entry list for the whole 6-Grand Prix circuit because I wasn't sure if there were any Italian figure skaters on it.

Yeah, you'll have Karolina Kostner and the young ice dancers at least. There might be a few up and coming other Italian single skaters, too.

Archived