Torino 2006

Guardian

Yeah, you'll have Karolina Kostner and the young ice dancers at least. There might be a few up and coming other Italian single skaters, too.

Yeah, I see it now. Here is the list of Italians that will compete in the Grand Prix, depending on which of them they will go to.

Ladies:

US and France: Valentina Marchei

China and Japan: Carolina Kostner

Men:

US and China: Karel Zelenka

Ice Dance:

US and China: Federica Faiella/Massimo Scali

Canada and France: Anna Cappellini/Luca Lanotte

Guess the Italian figure skating team wants to starts the Grand Prix season off right away, since the American Grand Prix is the first one, of six, to be staged. That event will take place at Reading, Pennsylvania, just before Halloween. And, I think AlexDS69 is right in his post about the Grand Prix Final being held in a country that does not have a regular GP one for the first time ever.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, guys, the moment some of you have been waiting for.

At Guatemala 2007, the 119th IOC Session, IOC member Jean-Claude Killy of France, presented to the IOC his FINAL REPORT ABOUT TORINO 2006.

First, the main IOC article about this post.

Link: IOC: Killy Report Asks For Active Management Of Brand And Value

bg_menu.jpg

ARTP_2228_888_big.jpg

The Olympic Dove At The Torino 2006 Winter Olympics Opening Ceremony

ARTP_2228_889_big.jpg

Jean-Claude Killy: IOC member from France and the 2006 Winter Olympics Coordination Commission Chairman

Second, and most important for some of us, Killy's 105-PAGE REPORT in PDF MODE:

Link: Killy's Final Report Of The IOC Coordination Commission For Torino 2006

• 2 months later...

Well, now that Pavarotti has left us, it was great to hear him sing at the Torino 2006 opening ceremony. One could say that it was truly one of his farewell performances to the world.

Wanted to recall Luciano's curtain call performance at Torino so I played the Aussie Channel 7 version (c/o Puppy - he sent me) last night. OMG! I didn't realize that stupid NBC cut out 2 major segments of the Ceremony for its US telecast: the whole Renaissance/Baroque segment (would've preferred it more colorful rather than the tonal palette) and the futuristic ballet (liked the colors in that one) leading up to the Ferrari's moment! I will put a curse on NBC!!

A year and 1/2 later, the OC had some great moments and but it also had parts where it was greatly plodding. A lot of the choreography and writhing bodies was just filler -- really didn't mean or add much. The skier formation should've been cut. Too slow and cliche. But most especially that aerial ballet just to hoist the unnecessary 5 rings into place. Boring and much ado about nothing. I mean it was like the acrobats were having foreplay with all that machinery. Very un-Italian!

And those so-called Versace (or Armani?) designs, or rather non-designs - I swear the cream of Italian sportsdom looked like they just had lobotomies in those outfits and were ready to board their mother spaceship! And then the placard girls with the (Dolce & Gabbana or Prada? village skirt) was the extreme opposite? And what about those doofuses with the big giant white balloons on their heads? THey just came out, formed a line, then ran out. For what? To show that their brains had been sucked out? Really bizarre. :blink:

Wanted to recall Luciano's curtain call performance at Torino so I played the Aussie Channel 7 version (c/o Puppy - he sent me) last night. OMG! I didn't realize that stupid NBC cut out 2 major segments of the Ceremony for its US telecast: the whole Renaissance/Baroque segment (would've preferred it more colorful rather than the tonal palette) and the futuristic ballet (liked the colors in that one) leading up to the Ferrari's moment! I will put a curse on NBC!!

A year and 1/2 later, the OC had some great moments and but it also had parts where it was greatly plodding. A lot of the choreography and writhing bodies was just filler -- really didn't mean or add much. The skier formation should've been cut. Too slow and cliche. But most especially that aerial ballet just to hoist the unnecessary 5 rings into place. Boring and much ado about nothing. I mean it was like the acrobats were having foreplay with all that machinery. Very un-Italian!

And those so-called Versace (or Armani?) designs, or rather non-designs - I swear the cream of Italian sportsdom looked like they just had lobotomies in those outfits and were ready to board their mother spaceship! And then the placard girls with the (Dolce & Gabbana or Prada? village skirt) was the extreme opposite? And what about those doofuses with the big giant white balloons on their heads? THey just came out, formed a line, then ran out. For what? To show that their brains had been sucked out? Really bizarre. :blink:

xDDD hahaha, you know, the last line (about the white balloons)...i was thinking the same thing when i watched it, i don't know what was the purpose of them entering and leaving the stage too fast (and the skier formation was a copy of the one performed at the Australia 2004 Rugby WC) There are some things of the ceremony which didn't convinced me, and the segment Del Futurismo al Futuro...a cyber-punk dude on a bike with 8 legged statues is really the future they see for Italy?? What the hell...

Anyway, the best part of the ceremony was the finale, with Luciano Pavarotti performing Nessun Dorma (this wasn't his final performance on life, but it's probably the last one who most people watched).

• 1 month later...

Much thanks Guardian! ;) It's the first time I saw it again since then and I didn't remember were such inspiring! Definetely more sophisticated and brilliant than some parts of the Torino's opening. Why the hell they didn't repeat something of that in 2006???? :(

BTW first impressions:

Video1.

-Raising of flags. Don't you find the greek flag (as the anthem) is kinda inappropriate there? That's Winter. I understand the protocol but it seems too much out of place anyway.

-Handover ceremonie. That's what I call Wave a flag, Chiamparino! :D

Video2. Lovely presentation. From the visual the to the music.

Well, speaking of Greece, it will be quite a show, if the nation does get its first Winter Olympics medal at Vancouver 2010. Having the Greek flag raised at a Winter Olympics closing ceremony like that may be a bit off to some people here. And, with the current mayor of Torino waving that flag, you do not want to go against him in some fist fight. :P

• 4 months later...

Well, it seems that Torino is never far away, when it comes to hosting winter events nowadays. Just looked at the ISU website and it will host the 2010 World Figure Skating Championships, after Vancouver 2010 will be finished.

• 5 months later...

Just to inform that the famous designer Andrea Pininfarina, who among other things fashioned the cauldron and the torch for torino2006, has died on 7 august in a road crash in Turin. Will be missed his unique touch in the world of automotive design.

R.I.P. :(

• 5 months later...

An important post-olympics benefit has just been proved by a recent monitoring of BIT (international tourism exchange) which promotes Piedmont (with particular mention to Torino) as the most appreciated and best advisable region for a trip in Italy according to 2008 international press". la stampa (sorry, no english version available)

That's a remarkable result for the local tourism office considering that this region was (unfairly) quite unknown to most of tourism circles.

TOP - Torino Olympic Park was founded by the Municipality of Torino, the Province, the Piedmont Region and the National Olympic Committee, to manage and promote the facilities created and used for the Games of Turin 2006. Twelve modern and vanguard facilities to organize sporting events and international events of all kinds: Palasport Olimpico, Palavela and the Olympic Village in Turin, the Ski Jumping Stadium, the Ski Jumping Hotel in Pragelato, the bobsleigh, luge and skeleton track, the plant for the biathlon and the Olympic Center of Cesana San Sicario, Olympic Village and halfpipe in Bardonecchia, Palazzetto del ghiaccio in Pinerolo and Torre Pellice.

So the temples of the sport have opened the doors to the public with entertainment activities, sporting and not: patinoire, taxi bob, mono bob, broomball, but also concerts, fairs, exhibitions. TOP facilities have been also launched successfully on the market MICE and the leading companies of the Italian market have appreciated the quality of the locations and the services offered.

The numbers of Top in season 2007 – 2008 are extraordinary: 90 events, 890,000 spectators, 1,000 days of use of the facilities, 42,000 admissions in the patinoires.

TOP-website

07_patinoire.jpg04_TerraMadre.jpg

10_PSO_Presentazione_FIAT_500.jpg08_uleb.jpg

short_track_08.jpgTSP_SP_29.jpg

I LOVED LOVED LOVED TORINO! :lol: Maybe that's because I'm more of a WG person. Growing up in a cold area will do that to you. I was visiting my parents on the day of the closing ceremonies and my mom is a HUGE pavarotti fan. She was asking "Why doesn't Luciano Pavarotti sing?" and then, BAM, it happened. Very fun moment.

I LOVED LOVED LOVED TORINO! :lol: Maybe that's because I'm more of a WG person. Growing up in a cold area will do that to you. I was visiting my parents on the day of the closing ceremonies and my mom is a HUGE pavarotti fan. She was asking "Why doesn't Luciano Pavarotti sing?" and then, BAM, it happened. Very fun moment.

Pavarotti sang at the Opening Ceremony, Andrea Bocelli performed at the Closing.

I agree with you, I also love the WOGs more than SOGs.

Now you have a great occasion to live personally the Olympics in you hometown and that's really a wonderful experience!

I have a lot of good memories from Torino, they were great games and had an amazing Canadian performance. It was tough-and-go for a couple of years and the atmosphere in some cases wasn't ideal but the games were good, they had the Italian flare and was very enjoyable to watch. I haven't particularly liked the last two summer games

• 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Turin 2006 Olympics luge and bobsled track dismantled because of $2 million in operating costs

The luge and bobsled track built for the 2006 Turin Olympics is being dismantled because of high operating costs.

Cesana Torinese Mayor Lorenzo Colomb informed the Italian winter sports federation Thursday that the track won’t host races this winter.

The facility cost $100 million to build and carries annual operating costs of $2 million. It is operated by Parcolimpico S.R.L, which controls several venues built for the 2006 Games.

The track was closed last season, but the federation helped reopen it in May. The venue was scheduled to host a luge World Cup event Dec. 1-2.

Several Olympic teams had requested to train in Cesana because the venue was similar to the track built for the 2014 Sochi Games.

AP

http://www.washingto...abc7_story.html

That's a surprise. I would have thought that a country like Armin Zöggeler's Italy would find some use for a modern luge track - as a training venue for the Italian luge, bobsled and skeleton racers, especially. The only remaining Italian artificial sledding venue now will be Cortina's track - but that one is already almost many decades old and can't even be used for luge races.

Archived