Torino 2006

Guardian

Today is the first anniversary of the XX Olympic Winter Games. Talk about time going fast. Italy's second hosting of the Olympic Winter Games gave a lot of highlights for those who saw these Games something to celebrate about. What were your memories from these Games?

First, the IOC article commemorating the one-year anniversary.

Link: IOC-> Torino 2006: One Year On

Second, some items seen from Torino 2006 has now been donated to the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland.

Link: IOC: New Donation To The Olympic Museum

Items from Torino 2006 at the Olympic Museum.

1. Dress seen at the opening and closing ceremonies.

ARTP_2059_680_big.jpg

2. The red suit and two wedding dresses.

ARTP_2059_681_big.jpg

3. Same as above, but with IOC President, Jacques Rogge, and TOROC President, Valentino Castellani.

ARTP_2059_682_big.jpg

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shame that it's been forgotten, but really an anniversary of an event most Italians didn't care for (or didn't even know it was being played out on Italian soil) pales in comparison to the fallout from the riots in Catania last week. However, Italia's two Olympic Stadia (Roma and Torino) are among the six that meet the new safety requirements by the FIGC, CONI and the federal government.

Also, does anyone find it weird that Italia, a warm, sunny Meditteranean country has held more Winter Games than Summer?

Also, does anyone find it weird that Italia, a warm, sunny Meditteranean country has held more Winter Games than Summer?

weird? on the contrary two winter olympiads are less than what we could have had as we can count on the whole southern alpine arch from the west ot the east. There would be more winter options than the summer ones.

btw, great memories of these games.. Torino has finally revealed his beauty to the world and the world is discovering it.. It has included by right in the Tour and the amount of international events staged (and to stage soon) and the surprising growth of turists will cancel within a couple of year that deficit.

shame that many people here miss out on recognizing the merits of these winter olympiads especially the great efforts in antidoping and the environment issues.. too many miss the efforts to welcome the athletes and the olympic family with the huge number of cultural and sport events. Although the lack of political support, TOROC organized great games!

Yeah, time goes really fast. Really nice following the events (although some were interrupted by the Davis Cup transmissions here). Maybe not the best winter olympics, but the piedmontese people did a good job with these games and they must be very proud.

Anyway, does somebody got pics of the Stadio Torino today, AC Torino already plays there? :huh:

Totally weird that http://stadiotorino.it/ didnt update their stadium webcam since 2005 :lol:

Great moments of the ceremonies, thanks Rei.

I uploaded things of that day 10th February on Youtube, but they deleted my account few days ago T_T (along with all my videos). Fortunely i re-uploaded these things on Dailymotion (they don't have very much limtations with the video size, since you can upload 640x480 DivX videos and they offer 20 minutes of duration).

Search http://dailymotion.com : torino 2006 opening or closing to found these videos if you want to repeat those moments.

By the way, here's the torino olympic stadium at present day:

245363110_8067da84b2.jpg

Shame that it's been forgotten, but really an anniversary of an event most Italians didn't care for (or didn't even know it was being played out on Italian soil) pales in comparison to the fallout from the riots in Catania last week. However, Italia's two Olympic Stadia (Roma and Torino) are among the six that meet the new safety requirements by the FIGC, CONI and the federal government.

Yeah i do agree with rei.

We could have hosted many more WOGs! We are one of the few Nations that can host WOGS coz of the apls, and the extended use of alpine areas as ski resorts.

If I can express a desire, I wish we could host next WOGs in few years maybe here in Lombardy, Sondrio, Bormio, Valmalenco, Madesimo, Livigno...they are very isolated places (so it would be very difficult to host something) but they are really charming. :)

Rei, great pictures you have there. This is more so, with the one with Jacques Rogge and others inside a bobsleigh all together! They got a small taste of what IOC member, Prince Albert, now the HSH Sovereign Prince Albert II of Monaco, went through when he was a bobsleigh competitor in his Olympic winter experience. ;)

ya Gradian, the one with Rogge in the Bob is great.

and again..

Handover ceremonies

from Salt Lake City to Torino

2ptxx1x.jpg

from Torino to Vancouver

2qxriv5.jpg

42u6ups.jpg

Debora Compagnoni, Isolde and Karolina Kostner, Manuela Di centa and President Carlo Azeglio Ciampi

48mmx44.jpg

Ciampi firms the Torch

2dwf9s1.jpg

Karolina Kostner

2rzao9k.jpg

29e1xt1.jpg

Medal Plaza

48ddquv.jpg

33k6t8l.jpg

The olympic stadium

2ajo1g2.jpg

Nice to see pics of the lovely Deborah, Isolde, Carolina and Manuela. Gorgeous ladies they are :wub:

Carolina just won the Euro skating championship, something no Italian had ever done, so things have worked out for her since.

Nice to see pics of the lovely Deborah, Isolde, Carolina and Manuela. Gorgeous ladies they are :wub:

Carolina just won the Euro skating championship, something no Italian had ever done, so things have worked out for her since.

ya gourgeous and gold ladies.. ;)

What a pity Stefania Belmondo wasn't there.. She would have completed the picture of the greatest italian women champions in winter olympics.

ya gourgeous and gold ladies.. ;)

What a pity Stefania Belmondo wasn't there.. She would have completed the picture of the greatest italian women champions in winter olympics.

I wonder if she was getting her "final instructions" on how to light the cauldron at that time. Besides, I'm surprised that you haven't posted any pictures of her doing exactly that yet. It would be great to see one right at the moment where the flame touched the apparatus to light the cauldron.

Since curling is one of the big winter sports in Canada, it was not surprising that the nation is 6 for 6 (3 for the men; 3 for the women) in medaling in the event in the Winter Olympics so far, since its inception at Nagano 1998. Brad Gushue, the Canadian skip of the 2006 Olympic gold-medal men's team, has qualified for what the Canadians called the Brier. The Brier is an annual Canadian men's national curling championships event. The winner of this event will go to Edmonton for the men's World Championships.

Link: CBC: Brad Gushue Qualifies For Brier

I wonder if she was getting her "final instructions" on how to light the cauldron at that time. Besides, I'm surprised that you haven't posted any pictures of her doing exactly that yet. It would be great to see one right at the moment where the flame touched the apparatus to light the cauldron.

ok, let's remake the sequences of the lighting:

1. Alberto Tomba

2v0ycn7.jpg

470nlo8.jpg

2. 4x10 cross country winners in Lillehamer Silvio Fauner, Marco Albarello, Giorgio Vanzetta and Maurilio de Zolt

2vkew0k.jpg

3. Piero Gros and 4. Debora Compagnoni

2u710eb.jpg

4. Debora Compagnoni

2q316s7.jpg

5. Stefania Belmondo

2zno85c.jpg

2rm85rt.jpg

4gnjxhv.jpg

2e4f7k2.jpg

43eohfr.jpg

And now someone could ask "And Di CEnta?"

well she was one of the olympic flag bearers at the opening.

2mi2oo4.jpg

..and she personally hended the 50km gold over to her brother Giorgio DiCenta at the closing ceremony.

2nm411s.jpg

I remember that much people arround here was very angry because the lighting was sacrylegic (anyway the spectators at the stadium seemed to like a lot this moment). I believe it was spectacular, but i would liked that the real flame would lighted the cauldron. Anyway, that's life :lol:

I remember that much people arround here was very angry because the lighting was sacrylegic (anyway the spectators at the stadium seemed to like a lot this moment). I believe it was spectacular, but i would liked that the real flame would lighted the cauldron. Anyway, that's life :lol:

sacrylegic??? How idiots they have to be those people?? :lol:

Could a flame lighted in order by Tomba, the historic 5x10 champions in Lillehammer, Gros, Compagnoni and Belomondo (a total of 21 medals here!!!) be sacrylegic??

on the contrary I think that the lighting of the cauldron in Torino was honoured as never before

Archived