Sydney bid images

Los Angeles Guy

Same thing with Canada for Toronto 2002. I think it was in an open field than a stadium. Makes me wonder where in Cologne will the WYD will be held. In any case, we will have to wait for "Benny" to make his decision at the end of Cologne 2005.

Note: what a nickname for Benedict XVI there, roltel.  :D

hehe. puppy i love how you can throw up these images in such a fashion.

The only thing i can see that stayed the same was the Aquatic Centre design... Btw- Looking at those pics, i cant see the Sydney Showgrounds (what was ot become the Baseball Stadium) Was it originally planend at Homebush?

• 4 weeks later...
Speaking of more to come, in the sub-title of this forum, AskMen.com gave Sydney the #2 ranking in the world for "best city to live in."

Here are some images of one of the Olympic Stadium submissions.  Originally submitted for consideration back in 1994, Crawfordarch Architecture planned a 92,000 seat stadium that had all seats covered and had the ability to have a roof added at a later date.

As you can see, the flame was envisioned to be on the arch of the stadium, thus enabling it to be seen from various points in the Olympic park...

sportolympic14sy.jpg

sportolympic24ij.jpg

sportolympic36wd.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

The Aquatic and Athletic Centres were completed in 1994 (construction began before Sydney won the bid). That's why in most renderings these venues look like they do now.

The main Olympic stadium had one design which resembled the smaller athletic centre (first render in this thread).

There were actually many great designs for the whole site, and the one in the first post in this thread would have to be my favourite.

It shows the whole site closer to the water with a main boulevard comeing in from the bay.

Parts of the plan were kept, but the rest of the site was moved back further inland.

The Showgrounds were kind of always scheduled to move to Olympic Park, but I guess the designs weren't finalised till a little later.

The SuperDome was in fact one of the last venues to have a design chosen. In most renders, even ones which show a site much similar to the one we have now, the SuperDome is usually represented with the old design, a less striking building.

Another great idea was to flood the brickpit, and make it into a lake.

The plan was scrapped, amongst others because they found an endangered species of frog living there.

The former athletes village, Newington, is a pretty nice place as is.

There are some nice walks there by the ponds that are fairly green, but most of the trees around the rest of the site are not mature.

Also, the renderings of the site shown in pics in this thread are actually looking away from the SuperDome, south towards the already existing Sports Centre.

The Masters Games will be held primarily in Sydney Olympic Park apparently, and other venues in western Sydney. Probably somewhat similar to the Gay Games.

The site does host Corporate Games and hosted the Australian Youth Olympics as well (I think they're always there). I can't think of any other multi-sports events that are hsoted there regularly.

Also, the renderings of the site shown in pics in this thread are actually looking away from the SuperDome, south towards the already existing Sports Centre.

The Masters Games will be held primarily in Sydney Olympic Park apparently, and other venues in western Sydney. Probably somewhat similar to the Gay Games.

The site does host Corporate Games and hosted the Australian Youth Olympics as well (I think they're always there). I can't think of any other multi-sports events that are hsoted there regularly.

Don't forget that Sydney could host the next World Youth Days in 2008 at the same complex. That is, if Benedict XVI confirms it at Cologne this year.

• 1 month later...

According to this BBC article, Sydney is the next host of the World Youth Day in 2008:

Pope Leads Huge Mass In Germany

Also, as mentioned before in this topic, the city is the host of the 2009 World Masters Games.

What's next for Sydney in this regard?

In looking back on this tread again, I'm struck by two things.

First, the bid diagrams remind me more of Athens 2004 than of Sydney 2000...from the shape of the roof (although Athens had both sides covered) to the cauldron atop the jumbotron.

Second, the Crawfordarch diagrams have a very American football stadium feel about the.  Like what would happen if the new Seattle and the proposed Minneapolis stadiums had a baby.

And now I'm struck by the idea of stadiums gettin' it on and having babies.  Come on SkyDome and Stade Olympique...Ottawa needs a stadium for its Commonwealth bid and SkyDome you've got that easy gliding opening and Big O, you have that big tower.  Hawt.

Archived