Sydney bid images

Los Angeles Guy

• 1 month later...

When I look at those old concept images, particularly of the main stadium and of the village, I can't get over how different the artists saw what became reality latter. I was in the village during the games and visited the area again about 6 weeks ago and there's still no where near the amount of greenery that the concept artist's drawing shows. One of these days I'll have to scan in my hundred odd pics

:laughlong:

When I look at those old concept images, particularly of the main stadium and of the village, I can't get over how different the artists saw what became reality latter. I was in the village during the games and visited the area again about 6 weeks ago and there's still no where near the amount of greenery that the concept artist's drawing shows. One of these days I'll have to scan in my hundred odd pics

:laughlong:

I know what you mean. My sister lives there now (on Popov Avenue) and while it's a nice, big house, and it's a nice suburb (now called Newington), it doesn't really compare much to the original renderings.

Still, it is good to see the environmental measures that were taken are all in place _ passive solar heating, solar water, use of recycled water on lawns etc.

As for the greenery, I think a nice touch is the fact that they still have regulations that only native plants can be planted there.

I just thought of this. With this year's World Masters Games in Edmonton this year, the next edition of these Games will be in Sydney for 2009. Would the organizers use some of the venues from the Sydney 2000 Games for these upcoming Games?

Hm, if I compare the Sydney images with those in the Berlin 2000 Bid Book, I have to say, that the Sydney ones are really poor.

But it is of course very interesting to see differences between the planned venues and those which were really built.

I just thought of this. With this year's World Masters Games in Edmonton this year, the next edition of these Games will be in Sydney for 2009. Would the organizers use some of the venues from the Sydney 2000 Games for these upcoming Games?

Most probably.

I hope they build a whole new set so we'll have something new to chew about here, ya know.  Old venues become old hat really quickly here.   :shocked:

Those concept pictures are so different to reality! I like reality much better  :cool:

Hi Vol!  :D

Although these pictures are not spectacular I must say that compared to other 2000 candidature Cities, Sydney still had the best concepts for the venues (I am thankful that they didn`t realized the stadium and that way...)

I also have the Berlin 2000 Bid Book at home and the Berlin images and the Berlin concepts were quite poor in comparison to the Sydney concept.

Sydney had a brilliant concept: Staging games at the water and using the whole city for several competitions.

The Berlin 2000 problems were:

that this bid was too early (1993 the city had some other problems), the Berlin committee thought they will gain from the Reunion process and that they can relive the enthusisam of November 1989,

that the majority of Berlin only backed the bid halfhearted and that the Candidature Committee was involved in bigger and smaller scandals (Dossiers about IOC members and their sexaul preferences and drinking preferences and so on).

Sydney had a perfect Presentation, a great concepts and all the Sydneysiders backed the Bid.

Hi Tominger!

Yeah the concept isn't too bad, though the finished result was so much better in the end! :D I must admit I have not really seen the concepts for the other bids that were against Sydney.

We came very close to not having the Games in 2000, despite our pretty much perfect bid presentation. China almost got us, in fact they actually did think they had beaten us and started celebrating prematurely. We ended up winning I think it was by one vote over Beijing?

Hi Tominger!

Yeah the concept isn't too bad, though the finished result was so much better in the end! :D I must admit I have not really seen the concepts for the other bids that were against Sydney.

We came very close to not having the Games in 2000, despite our pretty much perfect bid presentation. China almost got us, in fact they actually did think they had beaten us and started celebrating prematurely. We ended up winning I think it was by one vote over Beijing?

I think it was TWO because I also think these 2 were in the center of some controversy after the 1993 vote, according to some media then.

Okay, kind of OT but since it's on the subject of Sydney I thought I would ask- If I go to Sydney on the way back from New Zealand I will be staying with a friend of mine who is at Macquarie University. About how far is Macquarie from Sydney's Olympic park?  Just curious  :D

Okay, kind of OT but since it's on the subject of Sydney I thought I would ask- If I go to Sydney on the way back from New Zealand I will be staying with a friend of mine who is at Macquarie University. About how far is Macquarie from Sydney's Olympic park?  Just curious  :D

Depends if you have access to a car or not.

By car, it's not far at all _ about 10 minutes down a few expressways.

By public transport, everywhere's a hassle to get to from Macquarie _ you're reliant on buses and would probably have to make a change or two to get to Olympic Park. This could change soon, though, with a new rail link that is being built that will take in the University.

If you can get a couple of bikes, it would be a nice, not too far ride down from Macquarie to the park _ and at Olympic Park itself there are lots of nearby cycle trails that would be pleasant to take.

Speaking of the universities of Australia, have any of them suggested that they be a host of an Universiade for the city they are based in? Just curious because, with the way Australian athletes have been performing at the Olympics recently, it may look like that the Universiade is just a "waste of time."

Speaking of the universities of Australia, have any of them suggested that they be a host of an Universiade for the city they are based in? Just curious because, with the way Australian athletes have been performing at the Olympics recently, it may look like that the Universiade is just a "waste of time."

To tell you the truth, I'd never really heard of the Universiades until I came to GamesBids. I don't think they have a high profile here (but then again it's been years since I attented University)

To tell you the truth, I'd never really heard of the Universiades until I came to GamesBids. I don't think they have a high profile here (but then again it's been years since I attented University)

Well, the participants of the Universiade are roughly in the same age group as those of the Olympians. In other words, the Universiade may not be a good idea for Australia because of the way its athletes perform in the Olympic stage. Why host one when the Olympics are a "bigger fish" to get?

• 3 weeks later...
Guys, is it true that Sydney is bidding for the next World Youth Days for Catholics for 2008? I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but I thought I put it here.

Guys, is it true that Sydney is bidding for the next World Youth Days for Catholics for 2008? I'm not sure if this post belongs here, but I thought I put it here.

Yes it is. When Benny 16 was announced as the new Pope, the NSW Premier expressed his congratulations, and said he hoped to personally welcome him to Australia in 2008 when and if Sydney wins its bid for that year's World Youth Day.

Yes it is. When Benny 16 was announced as the new Pope, the NSW Premier expressed his congratulations, and said he hoped to personally welcome him to Australia in 2008 when and if Sydney wins its bid for that year's World Youth Day.

Is it just Sydney at this time or are there any other cities in the mix?

Is it just Sydney at this time or are there any other cities in the mix?

I think it's got that in common with the Olympics _ it's awarded to a city rather than a country.

Should be a good money spinner for Sydney, with millions of cathlics coming in for it. We did very well out of a Jehovahs Witness World Congress here last year (it packed out the Olympic Stadium). WYD would probably do better _ Catholicism has the most members of any of the branches of Christianity in Australia.

Archived