Detroit failed to win a bid 7 times!

The_Torch

I've just been reviewing the Olympic bids of the past, and to my surprise discovered that Detroit lost it's bid for the Olympic games 7 times!!  :oh:  :down:

They lost in:

Poor old Detroit. They must have been near suicidle by 1972!  Can any of our American members elaborate?

I have seen some of their plans (the ones for the 60s); and they were quite impressive (I mean people here who are bowled over by snazzy perspectives, would positively have an orgasm w/ some of the Detroit Olympic Park plans).  

A Detroit bid never advanced because:

1.  I don't think the bid could guarantee US gov't funds -- w/o which the Euro-centric old school IOC wouldn't touch it.

2.  Avery Brundage never give it a leg up either;

3.  Detroit isn't exactly even a poor man's San Francisco.

It's a shame. It sounds like the city could have done with the legacy.  :down:

Isn't detroit renound for making cars?

Is it still possible for Detroit to put in a future bid or would USOC discount them?

Yes, Detroit is known for it's many car factories....

I am afraid the USOC would be quick to dismiss a bid from Detroit against cities like NYC, SF, LA, Washington D.C., and many others......

I'm still surprised at how Detroit has gotten the MLB All-Star Game and the Super Bowl.

I would DREAD an Olympics in Detroit.

Three reasons:

1) Crime

2) Pollution

3) Crime

Detroit isn't up to par of other cities like NYC, San Fran, or Philly.

The IOC seems to have a love/hate relationship with 'Motowns'...they went to Fiat's home base, Torino, Hyundai's in Seoul, said yes to Mitsubishi's Tokyo but no to Mitsubishi's Nagoya, Volkswagen's Stuttgart couldn't beat out Leipzig for the 2012 German bid and of course Detroit has never had a look in.

Guess when you spend all your time in Rollers and Beemers and Mercs you don't worry about what the peons drive  :P

wat is even in Detriot other than cars

It's NOT all blighted.  

- There is the Silverdome where the FIRST indoor matches of a World Cup were staged at WC-USA '94.  

- There is Wayne State University which has a fine medical center.  

- I think they had the Republican Convention there in the 2nd Reagan term.  (Go check - I'm too lazy.)  

- There is Grosse Pointe which is the Beverly Hills of Detroit where all the Fords and the rich founding families of GM and Chrysler live(d).

It's NOT all blighted.  

- There is the Silverdome where the FIRST indoor matches of a World Cup were staged at WC-USA '94.  

(d).

I was there at USA vs. Switzerland, hottest day of my life, or so it seemed. Incidently, the Silverdome's days are numbered. As for recent bids, there was talk of a combined bid with Windsor Canada for 2008, but it never went anywhere.

Why its home to Henry Ford, 8 Mile Road, Eminem, Madonna and Aretha Franklin.

How can you forget the empire that was Barry Gordy's, i.e. Motown Records? The Four Tops, The Supremes, MarthaRaye & The Vandellas, Martvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & The Miracles, The Temptations...if Detroit is only known ever for that legacy then that's all they need!

It's NOT all blighted.  

- There is Wayne State University which has a fine medical center.  

- I think they had the Republican Convention there in the 2nd Reagan term.  (Go check - I'm too lazy.)  

- There is Grosse Pointe which is the Beverly Hills of Detroit where all the Fords and the rich founding families of GM and Chrysler live(d).

the 1984 RNC was held in Dallas it was the 1980 edition that was staged in Detroit.

It's an interesting question because before 1968, Detroit was a very wealthy industrial town and had a lot of culture going for it.  After the riots, however, everyone fled to the suburbs. Add to that the collapse of the Big Three automakers because of the imports and the demise of companies such as Packard and you have the depressed Detroit of today.

I think the reason is that the United States was not generating as much money for the IOC until the 1970's.  Even with Detoit's own Avery Brundage as IOC president the best he could do was Squaw Valley during his reign.  Also don't forget that travel in the early part of the century was very expensive and Europe was still in a depressed state after World War II so a U.S. Olympics at that time was very cost prohibitive for many countries.

However, an Olympics in Detroit now would really be beneficial to the city.  They are trying to rebuild themselves and have snagged such premier events as this years All Star Game and the Super Bowl. And the new Ford Field is awesome! There is a resurgance downtown that is taking off so maybe in another 20 years or so there might be another bid from them.

Here is some info on the Detroit bids about 10 years ago the papers did a multi-page article on the failed Detroit bids that included plans for the stadium, the article below is brief but covers the main details of the 1968 bid. Also you have to remember that Detroit pre-1967 was totally different than what it was post-67 to present.

Detroit Olympic Bids

I guess Detroit never achieved the sophistication of Munich, the culture of Mexico City, the historic value of Rome, and the "new ground" factor of Melbourne and Tokyo. When it comes to 1952, Helsinki had a big chance of winning as it had been assigned as the replacement for Tokyo for the 1940 Summer Olympics (that never happened).

In hindsight, it is probably better that Mexico City beat out Detroit for 1968.  After the '67 Detroit riots and all the rioting that broke out across the nation in '68 the U.S. would not have been the place to be for an Olympics, especially Detroit.

BTW - on the Avery Brundage thingy, he was from Chicago but was born in Detroit.  So I was partially right there  :kungfu:

Maybe bad feng shui?

:laughlong:  :laughlong:  :laughlong:

In hindsight, it is probably better that Mexico City beat out Detroit for 1968.  After the '67 Detroit riots and all the rioting that broke out across the nation in '68 the U.S. would not have been the place to be for an Olympics, especially Detroit.

well, there were agitators and anarchists too in Mexico.  Another one we forget where a few died BEFORE the Games started -- but they always focus on the 2 deaths at Atlanta's Olympic Park.

Here is some info on the Detroit bids about 10 years ago the papers did a multi-page article on the failed Detroit bids that included plans for the stadium, the article below is brief but covers the main details of the 1968 bid. Also you have to remember that Detroit pre-1967 was totally different than what it was post-67 to present.

Detroit Olympic Bids

What a cool citation...and from a newbie!  :wwww:

Thanks for the post ltp74...it's always intriguing to read about failed bids and how they stack up in history or in the context of current games.

Archived