2010 Torch Relay News

SkiFreak

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am watching the San Fran portion of the Beijing 2008 torch relay. CNN has officially reporting that Beijing 2008 could be the LAST OLYMPIC TORCH RELAY EVER, if this current one gets uglier. Does that mean that Vancouver will not have one for 2010, if the IOC Executive Board chooses to discontinue it on its Friday's announcement from Beijing?

I am watching the San Fran portion of the Beijing 2008 torch relay. CNN has officially reporting that Beijing 2008 could be the LAST OLYMPIC TORCH RELAY EVER, if this current one gets uglier. Does that mean that Vancouver will not have one for 2010, if the IOC Executive Board chooses to discontinue it on its Friday's announcement from Beijing?

CNN made an error. It would be the last international Olympic torch relay. Instead, torch relays would be national relays for the host country - which is what Vancouver is planning.

Vancouver's will go ahead, especially since they've already announced the relay and signed sponsors.

CNN made an error. It would be the last international Olympic torch relay. Instead, torch relays would be national relays for the host country - which is what Vancouver is planning.

Vancouver's will go ahead, especially since they've already announced the relay and signed sponsors.

I thought I was the only one that saw it. That's what I call media dictator. Lol

I've seen a few news reports make that mistake _ just lazy reporting!

• 1 month later...

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Vancouver 2010 Torch Relay To Visit 200 Communities

Posted 11:19 am ET (GamesBids.com)

Canadian Press reports that Vancouver 2010 organizers have chosen 200 communities to be the site of celebrations during the Vancouver 2010 Winter Games torch relay.

The torch reportedly will pass through 1,000 places in Canada, but a select group of towns and cities are being asked if they would be willing to host formal events, either at noon or in the evening, when the Olympic flame arrives.

Jim Richards, Director of Torch Relays for Vancouver 2010, said the cost of the celebrations will be born by Vancouver 2010 and the communities. Olympic organizers will provide the infrastructure, including a stage, lighting and technical support.

He said, “we’ve tried to put together a scope that allows every community, regardless of size, for them to host a celebration without going into great fiscal requirements”. Communities would have to bear the cost of the celebrations.

Organizers have not yet released a list of cities asked to participate, or the official route for the relay. but more information is expected later in the year.

Canadian Press reports the torch is expected to travel 35,000 kilometres across Canada over 100 days.

I would love to see which of the towns that will have some sort of formal ceremony for the Vancouver 2010 torch. Mr.x, I am unsure about how this upcoming Olympic torch relay will enter BC. Will it enter from Alberta or from the Yukon?

I would love to see which of the towns that will have some sort of formal ceremony for the Vancouver 2010 torch. Mr.x, I am unsure about how this upcoming Olympic torch relay will enter BC. Will it enter from Alberta or from the Yukon?

Nobody knows yet.....I could see it heading east, then from Manitoba head up north to Nunavut, then west to the Northwest Territories and then Yukon, then to Alberta, and finally to B.C.

Vanoc faces eco-friendly Olympic torch issue

Jeff Lee, Vancouver Sun

Published: Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Can the Olympic flame burn bright in 2010 and still be environmentally friendly?

Winter Games organizers are grappling with that question as they test various fuels that will light the 12,000 torches for the 100-day cross-Canada torch relay, and the two cauldrons that will hold the flame in Vancouver and Whistler.

Jim Richards, Vanoc's director of torch relays, said the committee has been experimenting recently to find a happy medium, and has done a number of test burns with various fuels.

The problem Vanoc has encountered is that the most environmentally efficient fuels produce flames that are hardest to see.

On the other hand, the fuels that produce beautiful orange flames are the dirtiest.

"Everybody has to test burn with their torch, because you absolutely want the torch to be seen and shared with Canadians," he said.

"Let's say we're trying to balance what exists in terms of the flame component, because if you have more carbon it becomes more visible but is environmentally potentially less friendly than it could be. I guess what I'd say is that if you can't see the flame, what's the point in doing the torch relay?"

Richards, whose focus is the torch relay, said another division of Vanoc is working on a design for an environmentally friendly cauldron flame.

Most Olympic torches in recent years have been powered with butane or propane, but the design also depends upon temperature, altitude and the anticipated duration of the torch's burn.

For the 2006 Turin Winter Games relay, organizers used small butane cartridges that slipped into the base of each torch.

Torchbearers were given the option later to buy their torch once it had been disabled so that it could not be lit again.

Richards hinted that Vanoc has already designed working prototypes of its torch because it has to do tests with it to determine the look of the flame.

He said the tests began "relatively recently."

However, Vanoc won't make the torch design public until later this year, he said.

Vanoc also announced Monday that it has made a preliminary selection of 200 communities across Canada where the torch relay will stop for celebrations. Richards said the list won't be made public until this fall when Vanoc opens its "torchbearer contest" to applications for the 12,000 spots. It hopes to generate more than the 6.5 million applications the 1988 Calgary Games received.

In the meantime, Vanoc is negotiating with the 200 communities to see what kind of cultural events and facilities they can offer.

"We're starting to talk to the towns to understand if they are interested and excited about hosting a celebration and working with them to find out what that celebration would look like," Richards said.

The 35,000-kilometre relay will pass through about 1,000 communities in Canada's 10 provinces and three territories, and will be transported by a variety of modes, Richards said. Everything from ferries to aircraft to vehicles and trains will be used.

"We'll probably be travelling through 10 to 12 communities on any given day, and at lunchtime we will stop for a couple of hours where we will have a celebration in that community. In the evening where we stop to hang our hats is ultimately that evening celebration location."

Vanoc is also trying to avoid generating a public backlash like the one that dogged the 2008 Beijing torch relay during its international leg.

"We are learning from Beijing, and working as hard as ever at working to build trust and engage with our stakeholders to ensure that this is a relay that Canadians feel a sense of ownership about and delight in," Richards said.

"We consider ourselves distinct from every other relay."

They should take the torch up Mt. Robson, but close the mountain to other hikers/climbers when they take it up there. ;)

haha, that's kind of as pointless as taking it up Mt. Everest....who is going to see it???

I'd say take it up Grouse Mountain, up the mountain by the Grouse Grind and down by the lift.

Wouldn't it start from Calgary, the site of the last Canadian WOGs? Like for Atlanta 1996, the US leg started in LA, then went around the conitguous 48 before ending up in Atlanta.

I doubt it, baron. Besides, in a way your post has stated there, there will be some sort of a "Calgary to Vancouver" segment for the torch relay. However, I am very sure that the torch relay will start at the 3 territories area (Nunavut, Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory). Most likely, if it is allowed, at the true North Pole and then come on down south from there.

• 3 weeks later...

International Olympic Committee approves Vancouver Games slogan and torch design

4 hours ago

VANCOUVER — A few more people have been let in on the closely-guarded secret of what the 2010 Winter Olympic torch is going to look like.

At their meeting in Athens this week, the International Olympic Committee approved the design of the torch being used during the Vancouver Games.

They also approved the slogan for the Games.

But the public won't get a look until Vancouver organizers unveil them later this year or early in 2009.

The head of Vancouver's organizing committee, John Furlong, says he's pleased the ideas got the thumbs-up from the international committee.

In a statement to The Canadian Press, Furlong says the approval means Vancouver organizers can now refine the design and the plan for introducing the torch and slogan to Canada and the world.