2010 Torch Relay News

SkiFreak

The route has taken a path I didn't expect...that is starting in Victoria, BC. Interesting how it zig-zags across Canada and makes its best effort to try territory missed in 1988.

I wonder just how many protests will greet the relay around Canada. I'm sure there will be one in Victoria.

Someone on another board suggested the torch be designed to represent a blunt. Maybe Ross Rebagliati could serve as technical advisor for this relay. :rolleyes:

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see no point in the protests. I wish protesters would learn that while protests are loud, actions and actually fixing the problems they are against are the way to get things done. But they are lazy and rely on governments to do everything for them then b!tch about those same governments when they try something they don't agree with.

There's going to be some elaborate and in your face protests in the final days that's for sure. I can't BELIEVE the day before the ceremonies the torch is heading to BC place NORTHBOUND. East Vancouver/SoMa/Downtown East are definitely the stronghold for protesting agencies. I was fully expecting a UBC night stay before and through Kits and the Burrard bridge in order to avoid the potentially higher risk areas near the southeastern city.

Going to be crazy :)

I have a lot of friends in local grassroots political groups in the Commercial Drive area, many student friends active in politics, and a lot of friends in FN bands who are disenfranchised. All of their organizations (despite official support systems, etc.) are PROMISING the most insane protests you have ever seen in Vancouver's history for the 2010 games.

It's just going to be a question of how bad it's going to be.

I know people who attended the spirit train disruption and a lot of them said that some participating took it too far and they fully appreciate protests that don't physically impede what's going on, but since when does the media ignore the people who go too far?

Everybody should exercise a fair amount of caution. :rolleyes:

And really, i pray for a police crackdown in 2010. I absolutely do not want to see a Beijing 2008 relay repeated and unfortunately there will probably be quite a few security guards running with the torch bearer.

VANOC has been so worried about international relays, perhaps that's what is best for 2010 (not that i'm suggesting it). The domestic protesters should be their greatest worry. It's basically the opposite for Beijing, where the domestic part was the most trouble free.

I have a lot of friends in local grassroots political groups in the Commercial Drive area, many student friends active in politics, and a lot of friends in FN bands who are disenfranchised. All of their organizations (despite official support systems, etc.) are PROMISING the most insane protests you have ever seen in Vancouver's history for the 2010 games.

It's just going to be a question of how bad it's going to be.

I know people who attended the spirit train disruption and a lot of them said that some participating took it too far and they fully appreciate protests that don't physically impede what's going on, but since when does the media ignore the people who go too far?

And throw in the No on Prop 8 groupies as well.

I can't wait to see the Torch and the flames it fans, Taichi. Can you? :lol:

It will definitely be protested in my parts. The Six Nations are about 30 an hour away. This is going to be major protests from them.

Its sad that if people don't like something they have to ruin it for everyone else or use it for their own causes.

Saturday's Calgary Herald had a bunch of articles about the 2010 relay and about the 1988 relay. There was an ad by Coke with a couple of web links for info on how to be in the torch relay. Here's the links:

http://www.iCoke.ca

http://www.sogoactive.com

• 1 month later...

B.C. teen first to carry Olympic torch in 2010

By Jordana Huber, Canwest News Service

TORONTO - A British Columbia teenager has been selected as the first torchbearer for the 2010 Winter Olympics, Coca-Cola announced Monday.

Patricia Moreno, 18, of Vancouver will be the first of some 3,500 torchbearers to carry the flame along the 45,000-kilometre route, which begins in Victoria on Oct. 30.

The Britannia High School student, whose favourite school subject is physical education, is on the swim team and is planning to work as a lifeguard.

Moreno is also a member of her high school leadership program and after school wants to attend university to study kinetics and nutrition.

During the 106-day journey, the iconic torch for the Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games will travel to more than 1,000 communities, even reaching the very tip of Canada’s Far North - less than 900 kilometres from the North Pole.

After it is formally lit in Olympia, Greece, the flame is brought to Canada, sparking the relay in Victoria on Oct. 30, 2009. After four days on Vancouver Island, the torch will be taken to the Queen Charlotte Islands and Atlin in northern B.C. before heading into the Yukon and Northwest Territories.

In early November, it will land in North America’s easternmost tip, historic Cape Spear in St. John’s, N.L., before embarking on a cross-Canada journey that will put it back in B.C. on Jan. 21, 2010.

The torch will visit 266 communities in B.C., 73 in Alberta, and 39 in Saskatchewan. In Nunavut, the torch flies into the country’s newest and largest territory on Nov. 5, 2009 and will wend its way through four communities, three of them aboriginal.

The Olympic flame will arrive in Manitoba on Nov. 7, 2009 in the northern city of Thompson and visit 33 communities. Through Ontario, the torch will brighten 226 places.

In Eastern Canada, the torchbearers will run through 54 communities in Nova Scotia, including Windsor, which has long laid claim to being “the birthplace of hockey.” Fifty-eight towns and cities in New Brunswick will see the flame, 41 in Newfoundland and Labrador and 26 in Prince Edward Island.

When can we expect to get our first glimpse at the torch? I'm guessing during the 1 year celebrations coming up in a few weeks?

I've heard from a source close to VANOC that the answer is "soon". We'll be seeing the uniform and torch...but that shouldn't be a surprise because there's less than a year to go and that thing will be in Victoria.