2010 Torch Relay News

SkiFreak

Canada claims it aswell.

IOC regulations state that the cauldron must be visible from within the stadium and from the outside, since a closed roof stadium is being used, one of these requirements is going to be violated, and its likely the inside one because it would be too impractical to have a large flame inside a closed building.

First, it was Denmark. Now, Russia is going to claim the North Pole for itself by sending a submarine now and placing the Russian flag on the bottom of the ocean.

Link: BBC: Russians To Dive Below North Pole

_42433630_arctic_ice_map416_3.gif

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

_44032849_arctic_russia416.gif

Latest "map of Arctic sovereignty and claims"

1) North Pole: Russia plans to leave its flag on the seabed, 4km beneath the surface, as part of its claims for oil and gas reserves

2) Lomonosov Ridge: Russia argues that this underwater feature is an extension of its continental territory and is looking for evidence

3) 200-mile line: Shows how far countries' agreed economic area extends beyond their coastline. Often set from outlying islands

4) Russian claimed territory: The bid to claim a vast area is being closely watched by other countries. Some could follow suit.

It is now done. The North Pole, and its surrounding territories, are "officially Russian." What now for the 2010 Olympic torch relay because of this speculation? Rumors on the "grapevine" is that Alaska could be next.

• 3 months later...

Well, now that the Torino 2006 closing ceremony presentation, the official logo and mascots are unveiled, there is only one big one left to show the world: the Olympic torch. Given that the reviews of each case hasn't been stellar to some Canadians, how would you like to have the Olympic torch be designed?

Africa should boycot the Olympic. And for what reason is any Africa city excluded in the torch relay?PLZ, It could be summed up in one word of "hatred" for Africa. Comeon! Africa is the second largest continent,bros!

Or the fact that only Greece and Canada are going to be included in the torch relay and no other country is? Maybe because its a winter olympics and Africa and snow don't go together?

Some part of Northern Africa and Southern Africa experience snow! Infact, it's time Africans should start to participate in the winter Olympic. My goodness, what's wrong in africa and with Africans? Just the world!

Winter Olympics don't include all of the continents, usually just Greece and the country where they are being hosted. The Summer Olympics have larger torch relays. Is there even an African nation going to the Olympics in Vancouver?

That's where the problem is.

He's answering your question, james. Since Africa is not a major player in the WOGs, why should it really be included in a WOG torch relay? This isn't even taking into consideration the cost and logistics of planning & executing such an enterprise. James, if u only realized what goes into planning and setting up for all the contingencies of an Olympic torch relay, I think you will be more understanding of who's being left out and not be so glib with... comments.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

He's answering your question, james. Since Africa is not a major player in the WOGs, why should it really be included in a WOG torch relay? This isn't even taking into consideration the cost and logistics of planning & executing such an enterprise. James, if u only realized what goes into planning and setting up for all the contingencies of an Olympic torch relay, I think you will be more understanding of who's being left out and not be so glib with... comments.

He didn't answer my question but as a question, bro.

I wouldn't want to know cos the world is big enough to contain us all.

The massive relays for Sydney, Salt Lake, and now Beijing cost quite a bit....well over Vancouver's $30 million torch relay budget. The word-of-mouth plan right now for Vancouver is to light the flame in Greece, head north from there to the North Pole (yes, it's Canada's), and then criss-cross Canada so that every major urban centre is reached by the flame. There's a possibility it will have a pit stop in New York for sponsorship and marketing purposes.

All in all, it'll take about 4 months and will be the longest Winter Games relay in history. The official torch relay plan won't be unveiled until 2009 probably.

With regards to South Africa, why???

It doesn't make sense to come over the North Pole though, it would make more sense to arrive in St. John's and than travel to Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut, NWT, Alberta, Yukon and than into BC.

I will make a map of what I think the TR will be and get someone to post it.

Yes, African countries do compete, but of course not at the rate of others.

Don't any of you remember the last WOG. The two guy that we're training in Europe. I think it was for cross-country skiing. They put their bodies through alot, frost-bite and such. I think one guy even lost his toe while training. Their bodies were not prepare for the cold.

African countries will compete more, but I think their governments have more to hand than building ice rinks.

It doesn't make sense to come over the North Pole though, it would make more sense to arrive in St. John's and than travel to Nova Scotia, PEI, New Brunswick, Quebec, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Nunavut, NWT, Alberta, Yukon and than into BC.

well at the same time, it doesn't really make sense for the Beijing torch to reach the peak of Everest...the same could be said.

i would think once they've reached the pole, they'll fly in down to the maritimes and then head west.

• 4 months later...

Now that the international portion of the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games torch relay has begun, I have to admit that the Chinese did the right thing and not include Canada in its relay. That way, the headaches were prevented from the beginning. First, we have one coming up anyway. Second, the torch would have been attacked, just what I have seen at London today. Especially that, with the current Harper Conservative minority government, it made its notions clear last year with China.

I do not about you guys, but I think the London part was the "most violent" protest so far in the international torch route. It makes one wonder how San Fran is going to fare, when it comes to American shores.

the Calgary relay started in St. John's as well. So I think Vancouver would want something different, but I won't mind it starting from St. John's.