2010 Torch Relay News

SkiFreak

From The Province:

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...08-cfdc5954e1e9

Feb 4, 2007

Wanted: 14,000 people to carry Olympic torch

Winter Games: 100-day relay will visit every region in Canada

By Damian Inwood

About 14,000 people will bask in the glow of the 2010 Olympic torch as they carry it across Canada.

The 100-day relay will visit every province and territory on its way to the Vancouver opening ceremonies on Feb. 12, 2010 says relay director Jim Richards.

“The Olympic relay begins in Greece with the lighting of sacred flame in Olympia,” Richards told a 2010 Aboriginal Business Summit workshop. “The Greeks pass it by relay to Athens, where Canadians will pick it up. It’s not yet decided where it lands in Canada or the path it will take to Vancouver.”

Richards said the image of a lone runner against a Prairie backdrop, his breath steaming and feet crunching on the snow, is a long way from reality.

The Sydney 2000 Games had two convoys, totaling 30 vehicles, which leapfrogged each other, he said.

They included minibuses to ferry torchbearers to the route, police, media, a command vehicle, ambulance, broadcast and technician trucks, backup vehicles, equipment trucks, and sponsor vehicles.

In addition to the 140 people who carry the torch each day, it takes 150 people to organize and run the relay, he added. The RCMP has agreed to provide 20 officers.

Richards said organizers are starting on the route’s first draft and will send out invitations to communities in the fall. By November 2008, the torch design, uniforms and final route will be announced, he added.

Richards said provincial and territorial capitals and past Olympic cities like Montreal and Calgary are guaranteed to be on the route. It’s also possible the torch will take a side trip to the U.S. – possibly to take part in the lighting of a Christmas tree in Times Square, an event sponsored by Ottawa.

As to who will actually carry the torch, Richards said that’s still up in the air. For the Calgary 1988 Olympic torch relay, participants were picked by lottery, and focus groups seem to like that concept, he said.

dinwood@png.canwest.com

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whooo!!!!! sounds great already!!!! as long as the torch doesn't look like a totem pole or anything like that.

Here's the Athens 2004 torch relay promotional video (I suggest you watch it, really inspirational):

100 days, huh? If that can be accomplished, then it will definitely be the longest Olympic torch relay for the Winter Olympics ever. Calgary's version lasted for 88 days.

Vancouver 2010

- 100-days

- 14,000 bearers

Beijing 2008: n/a

Torino 2006

- 76-days

- 11,300 kms

- 10,001 bearers

Athens 2004

- 142-days

- 86,000 kms

- 13,600 bearers

Salt Lake 2002

- 85-days

- 21,275 kms

- 12,012 bearers

Sydney 2000

- 127-days

- 27,000 kms

- 13,300 bearers

Nagano 1998

- 51-days

- 3,486 kms

- 6,901 bearers

Atlanta 1996

- 112-days

- 29,016 kms

- 13,267 bearers

Lillehammer 1994

- 82-days

- 12,000 kms

Albertville 1992

- 58-days

- 5,500 kms

- 5,500 bearers

Barcelona 1992

- 51-days

- 6,307 kms

- 10,448 bearers

Calgary 1988

- 88-days

- 5,500 kms

- 5,500 bearers

Seoul 1988

- 26-days

- 15,520 kms

- 1,427 bearers

Los Angeles 1984

- 83-days

- 15,000 kms

- 3,636 bearers

Montreal 1976

- 5-days

- 775 kms

- 1,214 bearers

I would agree with mr. x about the torch. I think the 2010 Olympics have a modern and contemporary theme while incorporating First Nations Art. Curved torches are nice heehee...

Oh how is the torch going about BC Place... I guess it would be outside, I wonder where... maybe the plaza just at Cambie St. Bridge? Or maybe in the completed Plaza of Nations? Haha...

It would be neat to have a cauldron setup on top of the Vancouver Lookout at Harbour Center Tower. Have a cable going from BC Place to the top of the Lookout, ignite (with the torch) some sort of pyrotechnic rocket attached to the cable that flys up to the top of the Lookout and lights the cauldron.

Or, how about a floating cauldron in False Creek?

Or, somehow have a cauldron attached to the top of Science World.

I don't think the cauldron will be inside BC Place. Usually during broadcasts they give shots of the host city and the flame burning away outside. I think that it will probably be within sight of the Athletes Village somewhere in the False Creek area.

If the cauldron did end up outside, during the closing ceremonies, send one of these from Port Alberni to extinguish the flame:

http://www.martinmars.com/

Unfortunately the planes are for sale and may not be around in the province much longer.

^Reply to Mr. X

Uhhh.... use a large display screen to display the lighting of the torch? haha... XD I would like to see it by that plaza since it would be able to seen in many directions...

It wouldn't also take attention from BC Place and the white fabric roof (needs to change)

I've never believed the Ring of Fire would see the light of day - too costly and impractical. Plus, it would just look bad with global warming and all. Frankly, I think it is better for something simple, elegant and understated...like Barcelona, Sydney or Nagano did. The method of lighting is usually the big ta-da! moment. The flame will likely be inside BCPlace Stadium because that is the IOC's requirement and that is where all ceremonies - opening, closing and nightly celebrations - will happen. Although, I do like the idea of a second flame afloat in False Creek - bit different and a reminder of the Centennial Flame in Ottawa (fire burning on water). The Harbour Centre tower is just not cool enough to do the job.

As for the torch, I hope for something light, simple and elegant too. So far, VANOC has steered clear of a lot of BC First Nations art (particularly Haida) in its branding. I expect that to stay the same.

• 4 months later...

Mr. x, is the idea to start the Canadian leg of the 2010 Olympic torch relay at the North Pole still in the works? If so, then VANOC better clarify it because, from what I heard in a Global news documentary, it could be a problem. Unless, of course, you want it to start it, in all places, in DANISH territory. Believe it or not, it is rumored that the North Pole area is "now claimed by Denmark." :o

Mr. x, is the idea to start the Canadian leg of the 2010 Olympic torch relay at the North Pole still in the works? If so, then VANOC better clarify it because, from what I heard in a Global news documentary, it could be a problem. Unless, of course, you want it to start it, in all places, in DANISH territory. Believe it or not, it is rumored that the North Pole area is "now claimed by Denmark." :o

Canada claims it aswell.

IOC regulations state that the cauldron must be visible from within the stadium and from the outside, since a closed roof stadium is being used, one of these requirements is going to be violated, and its likely the inside one because it would be too impractical to have a large flame inside a closed building.

Wouldn't it make sense to have a flame inside, and then in some weird way mechanically (like sydney) goes outside in a way. I expect the torch to be a mix of Albertville, Athens, and SLC.

Or a bit of the Torino 2006 lighting, too.

i think they'll have a really small flame inside and a large outside flame that can be seen from the Athletes Village across the creek. The one inside would be lit by the torch, while the one outside would be simultaneously lit electronically like Torino.

i doubt they'll go ahead with the ring of fire.

i think they'll have a really small flame inside and a large outside flame that can be seen from the Athletes Village across the creek. The one inside would be lit by the torch, while the one outside would be simultaneously lit electronically like Torino.

i doubt they'll go ahead with the ring of fire.

The ring of fire was never going to happen.

If anyone is wondering how the torch relay is progressing, you should know that VANOC just recently started recruitment for the relay manager. That obviously means that nothing is in place yet, but the ideas will begin formulating in a few months.