Canadian Winter Sports News

SkiFreak

Michelle Kelly, of Fort St. John, B.C., captured her third gold medal of the season

Canadians add to skeleton medal haul

Canwest News Service

Published: Friday, February 08, 2008

Canada capped off the World Cup skeleton season with a bang Friday, winning gold at silver in Winterberg, Germany.

Michelle Kelly, of Fort St. John, B.C., captured her third gold medal of the season, while on the men’s side, Jon Montgomery of Russell, Man., won a silver for his fourth World Cup medal of the year.

“I executed both runs really well today,” said Kelly. “I wanted to stay relaxed and go out there to just have fun and that is what I did. I had a couple of results coming into this race that I knew weren’t my best, so it was nice to be able to go out there and have a great race.”

Kelly set a track record of 59.10 in her opening run and clocked a two-run time of one minute 58.40 seconds...

...For full article:

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/story.ht...3fd&k=46054

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^ i have heard that we've one well over 100 medals.

In Torino, we won Olympic medals in 60% of the medals we won at World Cup/Championship events. So, that's a 60% success rate. It should be even higher in Vancouver, with two years to go.

^ i have heard that we've one well over 100 medals.

In Torino, we won Olympic medals in 60% of the medals we won at World Cup/Championship events. So, that's a 60% success rate. It should be even higher in Vancouver, with two years to go.

I know it's higher than 100. I believe they mentioned the total in that Olympics special that TSN aired this evening: From Calgary to Vancouver

If I'm not mistaken I think it was over 130 medals so far?

^ yea, i think 130 was the figure....and we're only halfway into the season!

what are we going to do after 2010, with Own the Podium gone?

I think it should be a continuous investment through the years. You can't just invest just to show the world were the most dominant country in Winter sports just for 2010, then all of a sudden the results drop down come the 2014 and 2018 Olympics.

A program like this also needs to be established for our Summer athletes. It's not totally fair to them that they are somewhat in the shadows of our winter athletes now just because Vancouver is hosting the Winter Olympics.

The government hast the money, I don't see why it's such a big deal for them to dish out the extra cash to help our country's athletes. The money they are spending on them would only be pocket change compared to the large pile of money they are sitting on.

• 1 month later...

Well, the Canadian women's curling team won the gold medal at Vernon. Could the men do the same thing in Grand Forks, North Dakota, USA?

World Figure Skating Championships:

Canada won 3 medals, the most.

Mens: Jeffrey Buttle won GOLD, Patrick Chan NINTH!

Dance: Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir won SILVER!

Pairs: Jessica Dube/Bryce Davison won BRONZE, with two other pairs finishing TOP 10!

Ladies: Joannie Rochette FIFTH

Our skating future at Vancouver looks bright!

World Figure Skating Championships:

Canada won 3 medals, the most.

Mens: Jeffrey Buttle won GOLD, Patrick Chan NINTH!

Dance: Tessa Virtue/Scott Moir won SILVER!

Pairs: Jessica Dube/Bryce Davison won BRONZE, with two other pairs finishing TOP 10!

Ladies: Joannie Rochette FIFTH

Our skating future at Vancouver looks bright!

We look very good in most of the sports on the Winter Program at Vancouver. We're going to top the medal standings!!!

I think this winter season was the best for Canadian winter athletes ever. Too bad that it is still less than 2 years away from Vancouver 2010. Well, next winter season is going to be interesting because Vancouver and Whistler will be hosting a few international test events on their Olympic winter venues.

• 6 months later...

:) Another season of winter sports is here! :)

From the Vancouver Sun:

Speed skating: Apolo Anton Ohno dethroned as Canadian takes gold

Charles Hamelin of Montreal passed American Apolo Anton Ohno on the first turn of the final lap Saturday to claim a victory in a thrilling and controversial men's 1,000-metre final at the Samsung ISU World Cup short track meet at Pacific Coliseum.

It was the first gold medal of the season for Hamelin whose brother, Francois, took the bronze medal.

Ohno, who had grabbed the lead with five laps to go in the nine-lap race, crossed the line in second but was disqualified after the race for what the officials called "cross-tracking." He appeared to nudge Hamelin in the turn, but didn't see it that way.

Jeffrey Buttle retired because he likely did not have the quad, which he was trying to get over the summer, which is a must for the Vancouver games. He also wanted to go out on top, which was a very smart decision. Patrick Chan will be a contender by the time Vancouver rolls around. He got 8th at his first world championships!

We have a good chance to medal in all disciplines for sure! We have the current world bronze medalists Dube/Davison in pairs, we have the current world ice-dance silver medalists Virtue/Moir, and Rochette on the womens side who is a definite contender.

This season is important for getting spots at the Olympics and for the Four Continents which are to be hosted in Vancouver.