Serie A Stops!

Rei

It's an absolute shame that these hoodlums are allowed to roam free wrecking havoc at various stadiums, ruining everything for the overwhelming majority of fans, who are law abiding and peaceful. You'd like to think eventually these clubs will cut off all relations to these thugs, but they're too scared of any possible retaliation by these thugs (essentially, they're Italia's answer to Fox News and Rush Limbaugh fans) to do anything. Like I said, the overwhelming majority of calcio supporters go to the matches to have fun and cheer their teams on, but it's the tiny segment, the one that goes to start trouble, that ruins it for all involved and gets the peaceful supporters brushed as one in the same as the violent hooligans, and that's not fair. This simply has to stop, once and for all.

Certainly not the case by any means. Many, many clubs had groups of hooligans known as "firms" which were known for their violence. I guess they could be seen as being similar to the ultras. Trouble was by no means confined to when teams played abroad. Places like Millwall and Cardiff and others were regular battlegrounds. The tragedy of our story is that it took Heysel (despite the fact that the game should never have been played there) to finally put our house in order. I hope it doesn't take something that drastic for Italy to do the same.

• 8 months later...

Italian police kill football fan

A football fan has been shot dead by police during a fight between rival supporters in Italy, officials say.

Local authorities said there had been a "tragic error" when police intervened to quell violence between fans of Roman team Lazio and Turin-based Juventus.

The victim, a Lazio fan, was shot during the clash at a motorway rest stop near the Tuscan city of Arezzo.

The Lazio fans were travelling to a match against Inter Milan, which has been postponed following the death.

Other games started 10 minutes late with players and officials wearing black armbands.

The Juventus fans were reportedly on their way from Naples to an away match against Parma.

"It was a tragic error," said Arezzo police chief Vincenzo Giacobbe.

"Our agent had intervened to prevent the brawl between these two groups, who had not been identified as fans," Mr Giacobbe said, according to the Italian news agency Ansa.

The victim was identified as Gabriele Sandri, a 26-year-old disc jockey from Rome.

He was apparently shot while in a car outside the motorway restaurant.

Earlier reports said the fan had been killed during the brawl. An investigation is under way.

News of the death prompted anger among Italian fans.

In Bergamo, where Atalanta were playing AC Milan, police and fans clashed ahead of the match.

The game was abandoned 10 minutes after kick-off, when fans tried to smash down a barrier and force their way onto the pitch.

Sunday's late match between AS Roma and Cagliari in Rome was also postponed.

In April the Italian government introduced a law aimed at stamping out football hooliganism.

It was enacted after a policeman was killed in rioting at a match in Sicily in February.

Link

It's still to clarify the sequence of the events. btw all this stuff make you doubt on the behaviour of some polimen in certain cases.

Sadly this episode had its heavy ripercussions. There have been riots in the Bergamo's stadium between ultras and police to nout count the remerging insofference against order forces by tifosi along the country.

And to finish the seat of CONI in Rome has just been under attack by a group of vandals. Latest news say that the entry and the count down clock of Beijing were seriously damaged. I can't believe this is happening! :(

It's overflowed into street riots now by the sounds of things. It really does sound scary. It's top news on the BBC website now:

Italy fans rampage after killing

The worst violence was in the capital, where hundreds of armed fans attacked a police barracks and the Italian Olympic Committee headquarters.

Sunday's late match between AS Roma and Cagliari had been postponed as a precaution but fans wielding rocks and clubs turned up outside the Stadio Olimpico.

Security guards in the Olympic headquarters barricaded themselves in as fans outside smashed windows and burned vehicles as they clashed with police.

The mob blocked off one end of a bridge over the Tiber and ordered motorists to leave the area.

A bus was torched and scores of police were injured.

Fans and police also clashed in central Milan near the offices of the broadcaster RAI.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/7090017.stm

:o

I don't see why should we take lessons from England when it would be sufficient to use a bit of good sense. A permanent stop of the league in my opinion would not be a valid solution in that case. On the contrary it would even encourage more troubles.

I don't see why should we take lessons from England when it would be sufficient to use a bit of good sense.

I'd have thought the answer to you would be obvious. We've been where you are now and we came through it. The authorities in Italy would be mad not to listen to all the advice that is available to them.

Archived