Sign in to follow this  
thatsnotmypuppy

Barcelona'92

Is the influence of Juan Antonio still so big?

without Samaranch Barcelona would not have come even close to getting 1992.....and I do think his power is waining, because while he obviously had something to do with Madrid's "surge" of votes in round 3, that immediately went down in the next round when ICO members vited for who THEY actually wanted: Paris or London....so he has lost power,or Madrid would have won  :laughlong:

Well, the other candidates where not so strong. Paris had a bad bidbook and Amsterdam missed the support of the people in the Neterlands.

And it doesn't matter how they got the games. It was fantastic!!!

The Olympic Games in 1992 are generally considered as the best Olympic Games ever!!!

So all other bids for 1992 would have struggled to organise such fantastic Games.

One must one take a look at the logo of the Belgrade 1992 Olympic bid.......I surely think that if they cannot design a proper logo, they definitely wouldn't have the same quality as Barcelona:

lg1992y1.jpg

But the one from Brisbane wasn't attractive either....

lg1992b1.gif

A long time since this thread was opened...

Anyway, the other day I discovered that the FBO's webpage has been updated and, surprise!, they have added some very interesting photos.

For those interested in visiting it, here's the link again (available in Català, Spanish and English), although some of the sections are still u/c: FBO

And here are some of the images:

-The city, decorated for the Olympics:

70-16-3-J.jpg

70-21-4-J.jpg

-Seat Toledo, official olympic car:

70-23-2-J.jpg

70-25-6-J.jpg

-A shopping centre welcomes the tourists:

70-28-7-J.jpg

70-31-1-J.jpg

-Olympic pin trading centre:

70-33-4-J.jpg

-A huge Cobi during the torch relay:

13-5-1-J.jpg

-El Prat airport, ready to receive the crowd:

69-4-3-J.jpg

69-4-8-J.jpg

Edited by Cobi

Just a pair of images of Mestalla stadium (Luis Casanova stadium back in 1992) during the Olympics. This stadium, home of Valencia CF, will be demolished in a few months time:

86-1-6-J.jpg

86-1-5-J.jpg

:rolleyes:

Thanks so much for sharing those pictures. Ahhhhhh - such wonderful memories of Barcelona.

BTW Cobi - LOVE your avatar! B)

I was only 9 during the '92 Olympics, and it's the first Olympics that I very clearly remember (Seoul was my first sports memory of any kind, but I only remember a few bits and pieces).

Just like any American kid, I thought the Dream Team was pretty much the greatest thing ever. Watched all of the games, and vividly remember watching the final over my grandmother's house. Next to them, the biggest story in my mind at the time was a young, then-unheard of boxer named Oscar De La Hoya who was dedicating all of his fights to his deceased mother. I remember watching rowing at the kitchen table on a Saturday morning, volleyball in bed very late at night, and of course the picturesque diving venue (I really think diving, swimming, & water polo are much better to watch outdoors). In recent years, I've been able to see highlight films and truly appreciate how great those games were. Lots of great memories.

I hope this works and that you'll like it! ;)

The video hasn't been available for some months, but now it seems to work again. It gives an error message sometimes, so just move the red button a little bit forward and skip a few seconds.

I hope this works and that you'll like it! ;)

The video hasn't been available for some months, but now it seems to work again. It gives an error message sometimes, so just move the red button a little bit forward and skip a few seconds.

great website thanks

That is a great link. It were the first games i can remeber. My favorite moment is the golden race of Dutchwoman Ellen van Langen at the 800 meters ahtetics!

That is a great link. It were the first games i can remeber. My favorite moment is the golden race of Dutchwoman Ellen van Langen at the 800 meters ahtetics!

that was a great moment, the mens 1500m final was great as well!

that was a great moment, the mens 1500m final was great as well!

great victory of Fermin Cacho...I was there

great victory of Fermin Cacho...I was there

wow brilliant!! He won silver in atlanta didnt he?

The race when El Guerrouj fell over.

Thinking back to the Barcelona 1500 metres, that race was set up beautifully for Cacho. Slow and tactical, tailormade for the kickers in the last 200 metres. And he had one hell of a kick. I seem to recall the European Championship gold he won in 1994 being a similar style of race. He set the tone for the depth of Spanish distance running there is now.

The race when El Guerrouj fell over.

Thinking back to the Barcelona 1500 metres, that race was set up beautifully for Cacho. Slow and tactical, tailormade for the kickers in the last 200 metres. And he had one hell of a kick. I seem to recall the European Championship gold he won in 1994 being a similar style of race. He set the tone for the depth of Spanish distance running there is now.

exactly he was avery tactical runner!, brilliant, what is spanish 1500m running like now any top runners?

exactly he was avery tactical runner!, brilliant, what is spanish 1500m running like now any top runners?

Juan Carlos Higuero is the spanish champion of 1500,others top runners are Sergio Gallardo,Reyes Estevez,Arturo Casado,José Antonio Redolat or the young Álvaro Rodríguez.

post-1307-1154339852.jpg

Juan Carlos Higuero is the spanish champion of 1500,others top runners are Sergio Gallardo,Reyes Estevez,Arturo Casado,José Antonio Redolat or the young Álvaro Rodríguez.

What are their rankings? or what championships have they won?