Barcelona'92

thatsnotmypuppy

Mohammed Ali Lite the flame in Atlanta by hand.  He lit a cable which carried the flame up to the cauldron.

Talk about copying Albertville 1992 here!  :oops:

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...
Looks like the BBC article here paints Barcelona on a positive light here:

Barcelona's Warm Business Climate

Well, it is said that Barcelona is the most European city in Spain, and it's truly becoming a very multicultural place. Barcelona is a really booming city at the moment, there are many projects going on and in the future it will become a very important city in the European context. Good 4 BCN!  :wwww:

Looks like the BBC article here paints Barcelona on a positive light here:

Barcelona's Warm Business Climate

Well, it is said that Barcelona is the most European city in Spain, and it's truly becoming a very multicultural place. Barcelona is a really booming city at the moment, there are many projects going on and in the future it will become a very important city in the European context. Good 4 BCN!  :wwww:

In my POV, who in the world would have really known that the Barcelona 1992 Olympics would be the catalyst for what's to come for the city?

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
is it true Mohammed Ali won a Olympic gold medal in boxing but through it in the river and said that there was no point because his country was divided or something like that....and then in 1996, the US let him light the cauldron and the IOC gave him a gold medal?

is it true Mohammed Ali won a Olympic gold medal in boxing but through it in the river and said that there was no point because his country was divided or something like that....and then in 1996, the US let him light the cauldron and the IOC gave him a gold medal?

Wrong post in this topic. Ali threw it into the river because blacks were still not classified as "citizens" of the USA then to him. How do you think he changed his original name to the present Arabic one at that time? You know: segregation, KKK, apartheid-style American south (with blacks or whites only signs present then), and so on.

• 2 weeks later...
For me, simply the best Olympic Games ever!!! i ws very young at that time, only 6 years, but i reamember clearly Pavarotti singing Friends for life, moment that i will never forget. I remember also the olympic flame being flamed! The only negative point was to discover that it was fake. i remember the party that Brazil made when the men´s volleyball was champion. And Cobi was the best mascot ever besides Minska (That was the name of Moscow bear?). Last year I went to Barcelona and visited all the olympic structures. simply perfect. I went to Olympic Stadium Montjuc to see The Generación OT concert. Love it! Barcelona was the best!!

• 3 weeks later...
If there is any truth in the idea that hosting a successful Olympic Games can be a positive thing for a city, it is Barcelona's hosting of the Games of the XXV Olympiad in 1992.  The city's prestige, fame and popularity has soared upward like that firey arrow did 12 years ago.  Clearly, the Olympics changed the city for the better.

• 1 month later...

dear cobi,dont you have pics for the closing ceremony?

specially the song [amigos para siempre].

Hi youssef.

I wish I could post here some good pictures from the closing ceremony, but I'm afraid that's a bit diffi. The only photos I have are in the official book of the XXVth Olympiad, and the photos are so huge that they're almost impossible to scan properly.

I have made some photos from the book, though. The quality is not good (most of the photos are very dark and the resolution of the original photos is awful), but it's the best I could do.

About the song, I haven't got any photos. If a knew have to get captures from the video I would post some of the performance, but my ignorance is way too big.

Here are the *bad, bad, bad* photos:

-"Una cursa insòlita". A funny performance from El Tricicle:

f7de4769.jpg

-Spain says goodbye to the athletes:

f7de475d.jpg

-Dancing horses (little photo) and flamenco ("El amor Brujo", by Manuel de Falla and performed by Cristina Hoyos):

f7de4767.jpg

-Goodbye to the Olympic flag:

f7de4768.jpg

-See you in Atlanta 1996!

f7de4764.jpg

-A beautiful spectacle about planets:

f7de4761.jpg

-"La festa del foc", by Comediants:

f7de475f.jpg

-The battle of the dragons (just believe those are two weird dragons):

f7de475b.jpg

-Bye, bye Cobi!

f7de4759.jpg

-The final party. The Olympics are over, "Amics per sempre"!

f7de475e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

does anyone have a full detailed list of barcelona 92 venues ?

I guess JarlehuBCN, who is from Barcelona, could answer your question better than me, but he's on holidays right now (I will ask him once he's back).

As far as I can remember, Barcelona's venues were distributed over 4 areas: Montjuïc, Diagonal, Vall d’Hebron y Parc de Mar, as well as 15 subsees.

Some of the venues that come to my mind are:

-Olympic Stadium (ceremonies, athletics)

foto_01.jpg

-Palau Sant Jordi (basketball, gymnastics)

foto_stjordi.jpg

-Picornell swimming pools

bcn03_14.gif

-Vall d'Hebron tennis courts

-INEFC (wrestling, weight-lifting)

fachada_limpia.jpg

-Palau d'esports de Badalona (subsee: basketball)

-Club Patí Vic (subsee: roller hockey)

-Camp Nou (football)

Camp_Nou3.jpg

-Palau blaugrana (Judo)

palau-blaugrana.jpg

-Banyoles (subsee: rowing)

20.jpg

-Sant Sadurní d'Anoia (subsee: field hockey, cycling)

-La Seu d'Urgell (subsee: canoening)

-Vila Olímpica (sailing)

-Vila Olímpica/Olympic port (sailing)

vila%20olimpica.jpg

-Poliesportiu Estacio del nord (table tennis)

fachada1.jpg

-Poliesportiu de la Mar Bella (badminton)

-l'Hospitalet de Llobregat (subsee: baseball)

-Terrassa (subsee: field hockey)

-Palau d'esports de Granollers (subsee: handball)

-Real Club de Polo Barcelona (horse riding)

v19.jpg

-Poliesportiu Municipal L´Espanya Industrial

-Mestalla stadium, Valencia (subsee: football)

-Velòdrom de l'Horta:

foto_04.jpg

-Mollet del Vallès (subsee: archery)

And some nice photos I've found:

-The Olympic ring:

foto_05.jpg

-The Olympic Stadium:

01.jpg

-Ohhh, the exciting moment:

02.jpg

-The cauldron:

03.jpg

-The flame!

04.jpg

-"El Mar Mediterrani", during the Opening Ceremony:

05.jpg

-One of the most famous images of the 1992 Olympics:

06.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful  :wwww:

Barcelona's venues are hard to equal!

I really liked Poliesportiu Estacio del nord and the Montjuic Olympic Stadium. Is a pity that the stadium could have a future of doubt since its tennats, club Espanyol, wants a new stadium.

Archived