Barcelona'92

thatsnotmypuppy

¡HOLA!

There was a post about Atlanta, another about Seoul and another about Sydney...I couldn't resist to open the official Barcelona'92 post!!!

Please use this thread to say whatever you want about the 1992 Olympic Games: what did you like, what didn't you like...and if you have any questions about the logo, the ceremonies, the mascot, the Look of the Games, etc...please ask them and I will try to answer them.

Also I will upload some images from the books that I've got (I've tons of info).

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.

I guess it's all down to personal tastes, but I could def understand how people could still see Barcelona as the best Olympic Games ever.

I can only remember brief bits of it live, being young at the time. But I've managed to see alot of archival footage and everything looks fantastic.

In addition to that, one of the best logo's . One of the best Paralympic logos, probably the best mascot(imo), one of the best Olympic torches.

Not one of the best Paralympic mascots tho,lol, 'Petra -  a young girl' wasn't an overly inspiring decision.

Some fantastic venues, with a really cool Olympic Stadium.

One of the best opening ceremonies, and probably my favourite closing ceremonies.

Really great Games.

Well, we could see some of Barcelona 1992 come this year when the city hosts the World Police and Fire Games.

Not one of the best Paralympic mascots tho,lol, 'Petra -  a young girl' wasn't an overly inspiring decision.

The fact that she didn't have arms (representing the paralympic athletes) was kind of original. She was part of the Cobi troupe, a large group of Cobi-like mascots (including Nosi, the mascot of the Cultural Olympiad).

Petra looked funny playing basketball with her ponytails (she used them as arms)!!!

The fact that she didn't have arms (representing the paralympic athletes) was kind of original. She was part of the Cobi troupe, a large group of Cobi-like mascots (including Nosi, the mascot of the Cultural Olympiad).

Petra looked funny playing basketball with her ponytails (she used them as arms)!!!

The paralympic mascot designed that way could be an insult to the paralympic athletes. The facial expression of the mascot can imply that they're mentally retarded of some sort.. :)

But Barcelona 1992 was EXCELLENT, from the unveiling of the logo up to the closing ceremony, everything was superb!

Another weird thing that Barcelona can kinda claim to - the best moment of the Atlanta Olympics - the flag handover segment for Atlanta was fantastic.  Bummer the actual Games proper werent quite up to that standard.

Probably the coolest Barcelona moment - the closing ceremony where Cobi is on that big silver boat balloon and it kinda hit the crowd before bouncing back up into the air.

Now forget the dumb flashcards - thats interactive fun!

The facial expression of the mascot can imply that they're mentally retarded of some sort..
All of Mariscal's mascots have the same facial expression; I don't think he's intention was to show the mental handicap of some Paralympic athletes. I'm sure COOB'92 would have vetoed him.
Probably the coolest Barcelona moment - the closing ceremony where Cobi is on that big silver boat balloon and it kinda hit the crowd before bouncing back up into the air.

It's kind of a sad moment. It represents the death of the mascot (at least that's what Mariscal said).

To me, Cobi on that boat was quite silly, coz you never got to see him in action (at least not shown on all the live telecasts)... and then before you know it, there he was saying goodbye and flew over the audience...

I can't remember many things from that handover ceremony, but I do remember that there were two big balloon mascots (Cobi & Hodori) that were flying over the stands.

Anyway, I have uploaded a photo so you can see how was the ceremony like; you can see a Cobi, some flamenco dancers and the towers of the Sagrada Familia, symbol of Barcelona.

Here's the link where you can see the photo (click on the photo and it will appear bigger):

Barcelona'92 in Seoul 1988.

I remember in Seoul that the two mascots - Udori and Cobi - floated out of the stadium together with a "See you in Barcelona" banner hanging from them.  They put their arms round each other, headed out of the stadium and the fireworks started.

The dance had a troupe of about 30 women dancers dressed in red, yellow and blue.  It wasn't as huge a spectacle as was Atlanta and Sydney, but it summed up the Spanish spirit very well.

I think that Cobi and Hidori they were in a balloon ship that disappeared in the sky.

What I remember most about the Barcelona Games?

The handover ceremony of the Olympic Flame. I don't remember when it was done or the participants, but it was the most beautiful ever (well, maybe Vangelis' fairwell to the Olympic Flame's trip to Sydney could somehow beat it).

TOlympic Flame was at the Acropolis, infront of the Parthenon temple. The flame stay there for the night.

On the handover day, in the afternoon there was an event where the actress Irene Papas declaimed an Ancient Poem infront of the temple.

Then there were festivities at the Panathinaiko Stadium. Sometime, we see the Acropolis, the Olympic Flag and two men of the Presidential Guard (the ones you see at photos from Greece, called 'Evzoni' or 'Tsoliades' ), guarding the Flame, and the unknown athlete at that time Voula Patoulidou, to be the first torch runner to take the Flame and run to the stadium.

Then, I remember that when the Spanish representantives took the Flame, they gave it to a man and a woman from a Spanish war ship, they took the flame they went to military jeeps, and they left for the port of Pireus.

Then, there was a live connection with the port. All the personel of the ship with official uniforms were waiting for the Flame. The Flame arrives, they take it on the ship and they leave for the island of 'Emporio' (or something like this, Cobi can help us here), that was an Ancient Greek colony.

I remember, I'm not so sure, that Irene Papas was supposed to be on the island to welcome the Flame (again with an Ancient Poem).

What's interesting is that it was the last big celebration for the Olympic Flame handover.

At the 1996 Games, there wasn't something big. They had a representation of the first modern Olympics, but nothing fancy. Actually there was a weird feeling, since we though that we had the right to host the Golden Olympics.

For the 2000 Games, we had Athens' earthquake. The Hellenic Olympic Comittee decided not to allow people to enter in the stadium because the stadium had damage from the earthquake.

BUT! Again Vangelis put his magic. At the end of the ceremony, two Australian officials take the Flame and leave the stadium, a camera standing at the entrance of the stadium films them, and the back we see the Priestess (actress Thalia Prokopiou), that more or less cries, in all these add Vangelis music, and the result is magnificent.

Question.

Do you know if television in your countries shows the handover ceremony (or the ceremony for the lighting of the Flame? )

Question.

Do you know if television in your countries shows the handover ceremony (or the ceremony for the lighting of the Flame? )

I've got a Seven News (Australia) report of the Sydney one, which showed everything you described. The reporter, Paul Marshall, mentioned the earthquake, and how "usually they let everyone in".

Then, there was a live connection with the port. All the personel of the ship with official uniforms were waiting for the Flame. The Flame arrives, they take it on the ship and they leave for the island of 'Emporio' (or something like this, Cobi can help us here), that was an Ancient Greek colony.
You explained very well PYRROS2004!

The Olympic flame flared up in June'92, in the Temple of Hera, in Ancient Olympia; after that, the flame stayed four days in Greece, until it arrived in Athens (in the Panathinaiko Stadium the flame was officially handled to COOB'92). Then, the frigate "Catalunya" took the torch from the Pireus to the coast of Spain. The 13th of June the flame arrived in Empúries, the first colony that the Greeks founded in the Iberian Peninsula (600 bc).

During the following 40 days, the flame covered more than 5000 km, visiting the 17 capitals of the Spanish Autonomous Regions and the 15 subsees. the 24th of July the flame arrived in Barcelona's port, one day before the opening ceremony.

The only ceremonies that TVE shows are the Opening and Closing ones (except in 1992, obviously, when it showed almost everything about the Expo and the Games).

:(

What I liked, out of so many from the 1992 Olympic Games, was the backdrop of the diving venue. It looked like the venue was on top of a large hill. What a view!!!

What I liked, out of so many from the 1992 Olympic Games, was the backdrop of the diving venue. It looked like the venue was on top of a large hill. What a view!!!

gal1992s_l_06.jpg

Actually the venue is on top of a large hill; Barcelona's Olympic ring is in Montjuïc mountain, and from Bernat Picornell's swimming pools you can have a very nice view of the city.

Here you can see the mountain:

anella.jpg

Thanks for the picture, Cobi. No wonder I like the cityscape there in Barcelona when I first saw it on TV back in 1992 for those Games.

Yes, newsroom_can. A Paralympic archer (named Antonio Rebollo) lit the Olympic cauldron at Montjuic Olympic Stadium using a flaming arrow. See this web page from the Olympic web site:

Barcelona 1992 Page

Archived