Beijing 2008 Video Game?

SkiFreak

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw a few screenshots. And in the videogame there's also an olympic flame burning in the National stadium like the cauldron in Sydney. The National stadium isn't all the same in the videogame as the real National stadium. There are a few differences with the stands.

The look of the Games elements in the videogame are nice. But I know from some insiders the colour in the National indoor stadium for the gymnastics competitions will be a lot of red, and not the blue like the videogame.

Hmm... Is in New Zealand is the world first release ? Is there anywhere else which release this game faster than NZ ? coz I believe we in Indonesia can get the games soon after this games release for the first time ;)

Is there anybody here who get the preview yet ? sir_roltel maybe ?

Not yet. I've been promised one as soon as available, but no sign yet.

I missed my chance for an early playtest a week ago. I guess I'm not expecting much of it, but I hope I'm pleasantly surprised.

Hi all, I just see in the web, it said that the games is already released, is that true ? Is there anybody here already have the games ? Is there any indonesia national team in the games ? thank you :)

Well Tanaka, my review copy arrived today. I won't get a chance to play it till tomorrow night, but a quick look at the info sheeet seems to indicate that they don't include an Indonesian team (it seems to offer 32 countries all up _ Germany, South Africa, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, China, Cuba, Denmark, Spain, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Great Britain, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Jamaica, Japan, Kenya, South Korea, Mexico, Norway, New Zealand, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Russia, Sweden, USA).

Also, in terms of sports, it offers 38 events, but only really 11 sports _ athletics, swimming, diving, gymnastics, shooting, archery, weightlifting, cycling, conoe/kayak, judo and table tennis.

I still say I'm not expecting much from it ... hope I'm wrong!

Edited by Sir Roltel

Some nations should've been included on that roster like the Czech Republic, Turkey, Argentina, Switzerland, Hungary, Indonesia, Chile, Slovakia, Latvia, Nigeria, Lithuania, and Israel.

I suppose it all depends on what sort of detail they're giving to all the teams. If it's just a matter of a flag and perhaps an anthem, then I agree, it's silly they don't have more country teams. Still, looking at the list of those that are included, they seem to have been chosen on Olympic tradition and size of the game buying market.

I'll try and have a little go at it tonight on my PS3 (before I go out to dinner) and give my impressions.

Ok Sir Thank you for your info :), I just realize why there is no Indonesia in that games, even since barcelona'92 until beijing 2008, Indonesia national team never been in the games, I realize because we in indonesia never buy the original games :), you know in indonesia market it's very difficult to find any original software, all sofware which on the market (including microsoft windows, office, adobe, all of the games) is pirated version, so I understand why SEGA don't include Indonesia in the games :)

Well, I've given it a bit of a tryout, and there's good and bad news.

Graphically, it's spectacular! The graphics are great, they even show the opening ceremony and you can control the fireworks with the shock force feedback controllers jumping with the explosions. The stadium and competitor graphics are also fantastic. Definitely up to the grade of the next gen consoles.

There are training modes and you can fine-tune down to the graphics level your national team selections. It's also geared very, very much for online play and tournaments. Indeed, it asks you just about every menu selection if you want to go online.

But ...

At it's heart, it's all still just a button masher, and a not very good one at that. Pretty hard to pick up the controls (even with the tutorials), and easy to lose interest in the events when they're just so hard to get the hang of. Like the Sonic and Mario at the Games game, about the only innovation is the power build up feature, and that's all just timing. After that it's just mash those buttons as fast as your little digits can go. Gymnastics is just about following sequences on screen by pushing various controller buttons in order. Kayaking was about my favourite, and even that wasn't great.

So. Good, even great, looking. Very online-oriented. Very Gen Y. But all looks, no substance. The same old button mash dressed up in state-of-the-art graphics.

6/10

Edited by Sir Roltel

Hmmm.

Maybe if enough GamesBidders get the game, we could get an online tournament amongst ourselves going. Anyone else thinking of getting the PS3 version?

That would be good... I dont have a PS3 but I will get the comp version. Any one else going to get the comp version?

That would be good... I dont have a PS3 but I will get the comp version. Any one else going to get the comp version?

I will get one :) but the pirated version :(, coz like i said, there is no original version in indonesia :(

I found that the game (or, at least, the computer version, the one I'll get) will be on sale in Spain from July 17th so I think I'll buy it by the end of July, once I come back from my holidays.