Beijing 2008 Video Game?

SkiFreak

Is there going to be a Beijing 2008 video game?

I just picked up the Athens 2004 PC game for $4. It's OK, game play could be better. Gonna look for the Torino 2006 game. I suspect there's going to be one for Vancouver 2010?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there going to be a Beijing 2008 video game?

I just picked up the Athens 2004 PC game for $4. It's OK, game play could be better. Gonna look for the Torino 2006 game. I suspect there's going to be one for Vancouver 2010?

they will definately have a official game! This will be realeased a couple of months before the games

Being a video-game nuts, I can tell you that Sega is handling the Beijing 2008 video-games. No specific system have been anounced, but PS2, PS3, PSP, XBOX 360, Wii, NDS and PC sounds realistic.

I'm not a big fan of the "official" Olympic video games. They're rarely anything but button mashers.

yea i have the athens 2004 and sydney 2000 on the playstation and they are hard work your fingers certinly get a work out

I'm not a big fan of the "official" Olympic video games. They're rarely anything but button mashers.

Exactly. They usually seem rushed and poorly made, and as you mentioned, the fact that a bunch of the events are based on rapidly tapping the same button over and over just doesn't make for an enjoyable game.

I wonder if they have mascottes in them. Well, I think Beijing likes thier flippin' mascottes so much, the game could possibly be about them! And yes, I like to write "mascots" as "mascottes". :lol:

good point !!!

Exactly. They usually seem rushed and poorly made, and as you mentioned, the fact that a bunch of the events are based on rapidly tapping the same button over and over just doesn't make for an enjoyable game.

Then again, it could really make a good Wii game.

Then again, it could really make a good Wii game.

Now, that would be good! But would Nintendo have the rights to do that? Have any of the previous Olympic games been on Nintendo? I can only remember Playstation versions.

Actually, just looking on the webm I notice they were done by Eidos, but under license to Sony. I know there were PC versions, but I wonder if Sony has the console versions locked up.

Edited by roltel

Sega did do the Torino 2006 Olympic video game under the 2K Sports label. But that game to me left a little bit to be desired with the omission of several events like short track and ice hockey, which in the case of the latter is understandable with a nod to conflict of interest with the NHL games containing international teams.

By announcing the game over the summer, the production team can immediately plan and go to work on the game with a high-quality result instead of having a sucky rush job that plagues a lot of movie tie-in games. I have a strong feeling that this will be the best Olympic video game ever, and it will employ next-gen DVDs--up to 200GB by the time Beijing hits, meaning that it will utilize almost all of the DVD's capacities. Most sports video games use up to 4.8GB on a standard DVD which leaves a lot to spare.

On the press release that I read breaking the news of the Sega acquiring the rights to Beijing 2008, it read that all of the sports will be featured, but water polo wasn't listed in it. I think that has since been amended to include that. I think it's great for sports like handball, field hockey, and indoor volleyball get their due in sports games, especially in North America. Has there ever been a team handball video game released? I know of a few volleyball games, but nowdays the beach game has surpassed it attention to the NA general public. We can safely assume that all of the Beijing 2008 venues will be accurately reproduced to almost lifelike proportions--banners and all. Plus there will be those official Olympic TV graphics

Here's how I would like to see Sega do this:

--use the uniforms the athletes will wear for their nations in Beijing

--in team and individual sports, both men and women's games and events must be in, in keeping with the Olympic Charter

--allow for classification games in team sports as an option for the gamer

--could we allow nations that failed to qualify in a team sport to be added and replace a team/offer repacharge tournaments like we will get with Olympic basketball--like, say, hypothetically add Norway's women's handball team in the place of Spain, assuming if they don't qualify for the actual one

--have a Create-An-Olympian(s)/Fan(s), of course with an immense database of names to choose from--will like to have ALL disciplines in events like track & field, swimming, equestrian, diving, and cycling (not just a sampling of events)

--I can see the PS3 version utilizing the SIXAXIS for you flicking your wrists as you run as opposed to (annoying) mashing the buttons in the sprints or swims

--in keeping with the internationalism of the Olympics, menus, commentaries, and options must be in various languages

--maybe even have venues from past Olympics involved like Sydney Superdome, Changchung Gymnasium, Montjuic Stadium, Peace and Friendship Stadium, Georgia Tech Aquatic Center, Georgia World Congress Center, Sydney Aquatic Centre, Olympiski Sports Complex, Montreal Forum, and Luzhniki Stadium

--include heats, repecharges, and rounds in swimming, rowing, diving, and athletics

--gotta have the medal ceremonies and players celebrating after winning a medal and even after the ceremony

--all nations' national anthems must be included (if you want to hear East Timor's anthem, you'll have it here)

--atmosphere is just as important in the venues, we should have fans and spectator athletes waving flags and wearing colors of their national teams

--check on your stats for your athlete(s) as an individual or team

--develop a coach mode with training regiments

--have the Olympian go through qualifications leading up to Beijing in individual events if they have a qualifying time, throw, or jump

--PA announcers should be in English, French, and Mandarin Chinese at all venues to be heard in video game

--adjust the time of day and weather in an outdoor event

That's all I can think of for it right now. More thoughts will come.

Sega did do the Torino 2006 Olympic video game under the 2K Sports label. But that game to me left a little bit to be desired with the omission of several events like short track and ice hockey, which in the case of the latter is understandable with a nod to conflict of interest with the NHL games containing international teams.

By announcing the game over the summer, the production team can immediately plan and go to work on the game with a high-quality result instead of having a sucky rush job that plagues a lot of movie tie-in games. I have a strong feeling that this will be the best Olympic video game ever, and it will employ next-gen DVDs--up to 200GB by the time Beijing hits, meaning that it will utilize almost all of the DVD's capacities. Most sports video games use up to 4.8GB on a standard DVD which leaves a lot to spare.

On the press release that I read breaking the news of the Sega acquiring the rights to Beijing 2008, it read that all of the sports will be featured, but water polo wasn't listed in it. I think that has since been amended to include that. I think it's great for sports like handball, field hockey, and indoor volleyball get their due in sports games, especially in North America. Has there ever been a team handball video game released? I know of a few volleyball games, but nowdays the beach game has surpassed it attention to the NA general public. We can safely assume that all of the Beijing 2008 venues will be accurately reproduced to almost lifelike proportions--banners and all. Plus there will be those official Olympic TV graphics

Here's how I would like to see Sega do this:

--use the uniforms the athletes will wear for their nations in Beijing

--in team and individual sports, both men and women's games and events must be in, in keeping with the Olympic Charter

--allow for classification games in team sports as an option for the gamer

--could we allow nations that failed to qualify in a team sport to be added and replace a team/offer repacharge tournaments like we will get with Olympic basketball--like, say, hypothetically add Norway's women's handball team in the place of Spain, assuming if they don't qualify for the actual one

--have a Create-An-Olympian(s)/Fan(s), of course with an immense database of names to choose from--will like to have ALL disciplines in events like track & field, swimming, equestrian, diving, and cycling (not just a sampling of events)

--I can see the PS3 version utilizing the SIXAXIS for you flicking your wrists as you run as opposed to (annoying) mashing the buttons in the sprints or swims

--in keeping with the internationalism of the Olympics, menus, commentaries, and options must be in various languages

--maybe even have venues from past Olympics involved like Sydney Superdome, Changchung Gymnasium, Montjuic Stadium, Peace and Friendship Stadium, Georgia Tech Aquatic Center, Georgia World Congress Center, Sydney Aquatic Centre, Olympiski Sports Complex, Montreal Forum, and Luzhniki Stadium

--include heats, repecharges, and rounds in swimming, rowing, diving, and athletics

--gotta have the medal ceremonies and players celebrating after winning a medal and even after the ceremony

--all nations' national anthems must be included (if you want to hear East Timor's anthem, you'll have it here)

--atmosphere is just as important in the venues, we should have fans and spectator athletes waving flags and wearing colors of their national teams

--check on your stats for your athlete(s) as an individual or team

--develop a coach mode with training regiments

--have the Olympian go through qualifications leading up to Beijing in individual events if they have a qualifying time, throw, or jump

--PA announcers should be in English, French, and Mandarin Chinese at all venues to be heard in video game

--adjust the time of day and weather in an outdoor event

That's all I can think of for it right now. More thoughts will come.

That's quite a wish list! Those suggestions would be great. I'd always thought a new approach to an Olympic video game could be to try a team management/training/competition approach like a lot of the football management games now. I just wonder if there would be a financial incentive for the likes of Sega to try such an ambitious game. The Olympic titles really aren't huge sellers and only really become moderately popular around the games times. It only takes a few months after a gamees is finished to start seeing the titles appear in the bargain bins.

Just to specifically address a few of your points:

use the uniforms the athletes will wear for their nations in Beijing
The development cycle of the game would probably rule against this. Considering most NOCs don't announce or unveil the team uniforms until just before the games themselves (or even not until the march of nations), it's highly unlikely this could be achieved in time to include in the game.

Why? Where's the game action/fun in creating a fan?

Jeez, that would slow things down _ after each game having to sit through a multilingual virtial results call etc. I'm sure it would be a turn-off for the various markets. I doubt there'd by much language tailoring beyond the various language releases for individual markets.

I agree, the only thing that will start making Olympic video games more interesting would be to get away from the button mashing _ it's just boring and pointless. That's why I was a bit more enthused by the idea of a Wii game. The best thing about the Wii so far has been it's Wii Sports game _ that was just great _ and to tailor something similar for the Olympics would be a good follow-up. And considering the Olympics is about promoting sports and fitness, what could be more in keepuing for a video game than producing one that actually has you getting active. Yes, the PS3 controller could do it as well, but as yet it is far behind the Wii controller in its wireless/motion and proximity sensing capability.

Well, I would be really surprised if there is no Wii version of Beijing 2008. I mean, the system is currently extremely popular, especially in Japan (Sega's home market), and Sega has a good relation with Nintendo.

I would think that VANOC would hand over the 2010 video game contract to Electronic Arts since they have their Canadian headquarters in Vancouver, as well as a huge game developing campus in the city. I would imagine the game would also be developed in Vancouver.....about a third of EA's games are created in the city.

I'd always thought a new approach to an Olympic video game could be to try a team management/training/competition approach like a lot of the football management games now. I just wonder if there would be a financial incentive for the likes of Sega to try such an ambitious game. The Olympic titles really aren't huge sellers and only really become moderately popular around the games times. It only takes a few months after a gamees is finished to start seeing the titles appear in the bargain bins.

I would very much like to see that too in all sports for this Beijing 2008 game, particularly the team sports, where you can work on your roster to go Beijing. On top of that, why not also select an Olympic team (or teams) to focus on to follow their developments, management in all sports they're in, supply their rosters, deal with injuries, coaching strategies, and the like. You should take control of any team you like and have multiple options simultaneously.

Just to specifically address a few of your points:

The development cycle of the game would probably rule against this. Considering most NOCs don't announce or unveil the team uniforms until just before the games themselves (or even not until the march of nations), it's highly unlikely this could be achieved in time to include in the game.

Why? Where's the game action/fun in creating a fan?

That idea is inspired by the college basketball and football games that contain this Create-A-Fan feature. In international settings, I think that would capture the atmosphere as much. I figured the development cycle would prevent from meeting it halfway. And I expect that it won't get met to get all of the unis down in time, but with PS3 downloads at the store that can change. You can see them carrying flags wearing the team colors, jerseys, face painted, scarves, etc. to express support.

Jeez, that would slow things down _ after each game having to sit through a multilingual virtial results call etc. I'm sure it would be a turn-off for the various markets. I doubt there'd by much language tailoring beyond the various language releases for individual markets.

Maybe so, but hopefully that is being done in the early stages now. That's why when you enter and load the game, you have an option to select what language to view them in first. The PA should be easy to do and record for the three official IOC languages (English, French, Chinese) with the ones selected to do it for the actual Beijing Olympics.

• 1 month later...

Looks like there's another, unexpected, Olympic title on its way:

March 28 (Bloomberg) -- Nintendo Co. and Sega Corp. will create a video game pitting two of their best-known characters, Mario and Sonic the Hedgehog, against one another.

``Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games'' will be released for the holiday season for Nintendo's Wii console and DS Lite handheld player, the companies said in a statement today.

The game will match popular characters with the top-selling video-game console in the U.S. Since its release in November, U.S. consumers have purchased 1.87 million Wii players, compared with 1.06 million of Sony Corp.'s PlayStation 3, according to NPD Group Inc. Both were released in November.

``Sonic the Hedgehog'' was introduced in 1991 and has appeared in more than 25 titles, according to the Web site of Tokyo-based Sega, a part of Sega Sammy Holdings Inc.

Kyoto, Japan-based Nintendo introduced Mario in 1981 in the game ``Donkey Kong,'' and later made him the main figure in a series of games, including ``Super Mario Bros.,'' according to the Web site Game Cubicle.com.

Like I've said befopre, it will be interested if they make the most of the Wii's motion controller to truly do something innovative. Wish they left out Mario and Sonic, though.

logo.jpg

The very fact that the IOC alouds this game to exist is incredible...

But then again, Mario and Sonic in the same game, and at the SOG whit that... Way to bring two of my passions together! *drools*

Scared because I hate their interface,their controls and they are nothing realist,SCARED because I will never buy a olympic official videogame.........

I agree with you that all the Olympic video games to date have been crap, but scared? Angry, yes, pissed off, yes, but I can't understand being frightened by them!

The trouble with the Nintendo plan is that while I imagine the Wii controller may make the game a bit better than the usual button mashers, the thought of Sonic and Mario at the games makes me shudder!!

I own(ed) Sydney 2000... it's a hot, steaming pile of sh!t. Punching buttons to the point of pain is not my idea of fun. Though, I absolutely loved the shooting event. It was very simple, yet still required some skill.

I'm mixed about having Sonic and Mario for Beijing's game. But hey, if it means easing-up the game through the Wii controller, I might be all for it.