Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

flamey

Torino Olympic Store

Back in a days, during Torino Olympics, the official Olympic Store did not sell items to the USA. I wrote 'em email and recieved "we're sorry.. check back later". In the beginning they even had Afganistan and Iraq on the list, but they took those out later, and probably a few other ones. But the US was never on the list in the first place. But as soon as Olympics were over and Paralimpics started, they added US to the list of countries during registration.

I never tried to get anything from official olympic stores before that, and don't know if this is "normal" (certainly this does not seems normal). But, does anyone knows why that is and if we can expect this during future Olympics?

When I was living in the states I ordered from the Torino store just fine in January of '05. I just put N/A when it asked for the Euro tax code etc.

In fact my order came directly from Torino in no less than three days!

I'm suspicious it was a marketing technique by the USOC to garner attention to their Team USA brand, instead of the official Torino brand.

And if they did that with Torino we can expect them to try that nonsense again.

All in all, it was perfectly possible to order directly from the Torino store to the US.

well, that is one pretty annoying rule. why does USOC has a say in what US residents can or cannot buy? US didn't host this Olympics, isn't suveneirs items sales are "bread and butter" of the hosting country?

That's the kicker. It goes along with every other IOC preference to the USOC and related American outlets.

The United States garners the most in funding and attention to the IOC and thus ths US has a large influence and pretty much can get their way on most topics which run the gamut of timing of live events to cater to American audiences, media licensing, all the way down to the USOC having power to advertise solely for the Team USA brand and not the official host brand.

It's a give and take situation and until another country can compete in funding the US will continue to set marks for the OGs from the perspective of the domestic organization and not from the international one, and the world is just going to have to tough it out and follow along.

I recall that I couldn't order anything from the Sydney 2000 online store until those Games were completed. It is a shame, those USA Olympic logos are rather stupid looking compared to the official Games emblems. I'd rather promote the Games themselves, because I have a lot of friends who have no clue where and when the next Games are held.

Funny because my mom got me the Opening Ceremony cd and a t shirt from the Sydney 2000 store during the Games as birthday presents for me.

I really hope that Beijing 2008 merchandise will be made available here in the U.S., and that when the time comes should Beijing have an online store they will ship to the U.S.

The United States garners the most in funding and attention to the IOC and thus ths US has a large influence and pretty much can get their way on most topics which run the gamut of timing of live events to cater to American audiences, media licensing, all the way down to the USOC having power to advertise solely for the Team USA brand and not the official host brand.

ok, now i wonder if USOC is funded by the federal government, by americans' taxes?. because if it is, it looks like americans are paying to NOT be able to buy cool stuff. which is pretty silly.

ok, now i wonder if USOC is funded by the federal government, by americans' taxes?. because if it is, it looks like americans are paying to NOT be able to buy cool stuff. which is pretty silly.

Let's remember that the US and any other western hemisphere nation is avidly (and sometimes extravagantly) patriotic, and to most Americans the Team USA brand IS cooler than any host brand unless it's a US host city. It's simple marketing.