2008 Games Tickets

It will be interesting on how many local Chinese will be buying those Olympic tickets. I know it will be a great majority of them, but there is always that "set amount" of them that has to be sold outside China.

It will be interesting on how many local Chinese will be buying those Olympic tickets. I know it will be a great majority of them, but there is always that "set amount" of them that has to be sold outside China.

It shouldn't matter, Guard. They aren't going to take statistics of buyers. But probably no higher than normal.

Knowing the Olympics are covered greatly on TV, I would think most overseas Chinese, who are VERY hard-working people and started out with little to NOTHING in their new homelands, wouldn't be spending their hard-earned bux to go see some sports festival -- especially if it's glorifying the Communist gov't in Beijing. If it were Taiwan, then maybe there would be a higher percentage.

Well, we can bet the members of the working elite and of the communist party, as well as a lot of middle class families will be more that interested by this "sport festival that is glorifying the communist". China is changing, Baron, and its changing fast.

Actually tickets go on sale all around the world in April

The prices are very cheap

Opening Atlanta US$1000

Opening Sydney AU$1385 (US$900 at the time)

Opening Athens EU$1000 (US$1150 at the time)

Opening Beijing CNY$5000 (US$637)

And the events are very cheap as well. Many local chinese people will support their Games by going and we will not have another Athens embarrassment

Actually tickets go on sale all around the world in April

The prices are very cheap

Opening Atlanta US$1000

Opening Sydney AU$1385 (US$900 at the time)

Opening Athens EU$1000 (US$1150 at the time)

Opening Beijing CNY$5000 (US$637)

NOC, the top Ceremonies seats in Atlanta were only $650. The pricing tiers were $200, $425 and $650. I remember that because I bought a pair of OC tix for my parents as their wedding anniversary present for them. All I could afford then were the $200 seats.

So I'm glad to hear that top OC seat for Beijing will be about the same as Atlanta's. That means I can probably buy the mid-priced ticket.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

It shouldn't matter, Guard. They aren't going to take statistics of buyers. But probably no higher than normal.

Knowing the Olympics are covered greatly on TV, I would think most overseas Chinese, who are VERY hard-working people and started out with little to NOTHING in their new homelands, wouldn't be spending their hard-earned bux to go see some sports festival -- especially if it's glorifying the Communist gov't in Beijing. If it were Taiwan, then maybe there would be a higher percentage.

My parents would agree with you big time here. However, I wonder if there would be some "interference", in terms of how many Olympic tickets that can be sold to those outside of China.

My parents would agree with you big time here. However, I wonder if there would be some "interference", in terms of how many Olympic tickets that can be sold to those outside of China.

No.

Guard, why are you trying to read into or impart so much "hidden agenda" behind how the tix will sell? There should be no mystery to it.

The foreign allocations would STILL be overseen and controlled by IOC quotas. If there is a GREATER demand for tix outside China, then they may increase those accordingly. (Japan and Korea would obviously have higher allocations this time around than in 2004 since they are geographically closer to Beijing than other markets...) But if past history is any guide -- and as attending an Olympics can be PRETTY expensive -- foreign allocations (even for the US) rarely sell out. There are supposedly returned some 2 months before the Games. Thus, except for the Ceremonies and some gold medal events -- one can always get tickets on the day of any competition itself.

So I don't see what you're driving at.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Sorry about that. :( Learned that notion from my parents who are vehemently against the Chinese government in almost every way, especially my father. Also, a friend of mine went to Shanghai recently for business matters and, let's just say, he didn't get a great welcome there. In any case, if any of that nonsense were to occur, the IOC would be very unhappy with that to begin with. And, since we are over a year away from the Games, it would be very foolhardy for China to pull a major stunt like that to sully its international image before the Games. Of course, seeing what is occuring in international news about them recently, they better be careful. The various international "hawks" are gathering their forces for sure.

Well, as baron and micheal has stated here about their respective countries getting their chances to order Beijing 2008 tickets, it seems that Canadians can order theirs on August 2007. Also, it seems that this website, Cosport.com, has added Australia, Austria, Bulgaria and Slovakia here as well.

Link: Cosport: Official Website For Olympic Tickets And Accomodations Sales

Well, as baron and micheal has stated here about their respective countries getting their chances to order Beijing 2008 tickets, it seems that Canadians can order theirs on August 2007. Also, it seems that this website, Cosport.com, has added Australia, Austria, Bulgaria and Slovakia here as well.

Link: Cosport: Official Website For Olympic Tickets And Accomodations Sales

Austria...Australia. Oh boy, I can already see the ticket order mix-ups... Good thing they haven't added Slovenia (v. Slovakia).