2018 Commonwealth Games

Guardian

is the one opportunity British athletes get every four years to represent England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, etc and, as such, it is very special to them still.

It's probably more important/ special to athletes from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, where they get to represent their own country, rather than competing under the GBR tag. I don't think the English team would find it as significant/ special as athletes from the other home nations.

But remember - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland also get to compete as separate nations in Rugby and Football, so the commonwealth games dosen't offer something extraordinarily different to these countries.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to this.....If you manange to make it into the Welsh gymnastics team- you should treasure that moment- chances are you are not good enough to make the GBR gymnastics team and go to the olympics or world gymnastics championship for that matter.

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, before then, it was not such a big deal, when the city doesn't really have a sporting resume of sorts to be considered worthy of getting certain Games. Now, it seems, per IOC rules, it is not something to leave out. One doesn't have to look far to see in current biddings for various Games to see which cities are bidding for the upcoming ones recently.

I agree, it seems that despite London and Beijing's victories, most cities are still choosing the path where you host lots of smaller sporting events and build up your Curriculum V itae (it's what we call a Resume in the UK), before attempting olympic bids.

There's so many examples of that going on right at the moment.

But it still seems that somehow cities like Chicago and Tokyo (which don't host many sporting events) can come in from nowhere and bid- and they have more chance of winning olympic bids compared to cities like KL, New Delhi, Doha, Melbourne, Osaka, which have hosted tournament x, y and z and announced it to the world.

These 2 cities (if Chicago is the US candidiate) will be the front runners in the 2016 race.

Resumes jam-packed with a long list of sporting events, simply aren't worth the paper they are written on

how about the melbourne newpaper the Age Reporting it ?????it was there and thus why the games got the second rate circus tag . They quoted who ever the head was. The CWGs are an nuisance for the Brits. The director was concerned about pre european season competition and that is where the focus is european meets and the olympics.

Who? Where? When? Come on, show us.

Couldn't a commonwealth games in Toronto re-spark the idea of a olympic games? I mean did"t the idea of the London bid come around after the 2002 Commonwelath games in Manchester?

I understand what you mean, definetly. But if were saying that a Manchester commonwealth games was the catalyst for a London 2012 bid, then why couldn't a Halifax 2014 commonwealth games, or even Hamilton 2018 spark a Toronto another summer olympic bid?

I mean Manchester 2002 helped to cancel out the fiascos regarding Wembley stadium, the Millenium Dome and London withdrawing from hosting the 2005 IAAF world athletics, and made the IOC confident with Britain again.

But we have to remember London won 2012, not Manchester. Had Manchester been the UK's 2012 candidate city, there is no way they would have won. Firstly would Manchester have been shortlisted? Maybe Istanbul, Rio would have been given the 5th spot (alongside Paris, Madrid, NYC and Moscow). If Manchester was shortlisted, I don't see them finishing any higher than 4th place. Manchester would have got more votes than Moscow- that's about it.

Errr...

Ist says sydney's bidding not hobart.o.0

In the wikipedia.

lol.

It besides.

Probily new zealand n canada will be strong bidders.

Yes- you're right...

This wikipedia list keeps on changing every week!

This is the latest wikipedia list for 2018 commonwealth games bids is as follows:

- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

- Wellington, New Zealand

- Karachi, Pakistan

- Lusaka, Zambia

- Sheffield, England

- Toronto, Ontario, Canada (if halifax does not win 2014 bid)

- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

- Durban, South Africa

Wikipedia 2018 Commonwealth Games Bidders

It's probably more important/ special to athletes from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, where they get to represent their own country, rather than competing under the GBR tag. I don't think the English team would find it as significant/ special as athletes from the other home nations.

But remember - Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland also get to compete as separate nations in Rugby and Football, so the commonwealth games dosen't offer something extraordinarily different to these countries.

I guess at the end of the day it comes down to this.....If you manange to make it into the Welsh gymnastics team- you should treasure that moment- chances are you are not good enough to make the GBR gymnastics team and go to the olympics or world gymnastics championship for that matter.

Thank you for pointing that out the importance of keeping them separate. I tried to the other day, I guess I did not succeed.

There is a tendency for NON-UK to group us all together.... it irks every UK person I know btu then they are all Scottish or Irish.....there is too much history that is being ignored and although we are part of the British Isles and although we are part of the UNITED KINGDOM we are seperate entities onto ourselves...it is not the same as having provinces who come as one nation CANADA at these games, the origins and political histories are quite different and much like here: to mistaken a Scottish person for being an English or English supporter ...well that is akin to mistaken Dartmouthians as Haligonians... ... LOL....

I find in any Games I watch the GBR tag is seldom explained as being made of of 4 entities and I think that is confusing for some. I certainly would like to see the participants/athletes break down, (numbers entered) each Game.

I do not agree that if someone does not play for GBR they may not have been good enough, I know folks who refuse to have anything to do with GBR tag on several issues, a boycott if you will, so again we must not forget the history here and the pride and power of loyalty and territory.

how about the melbourne newpaper the Age Reporting it ?????it was there and thus why the games got the second rate circus tag . They quoted who ever the head was. The CWGs are an nuisance for the Brits. The director was concerned about pre european season competition and that is where the focus is european meets and the olympics.

jim jones

Jim , no one, certainly not any one UK entitity should be speaking for all 4 entities of the UK.. ....The English may have said that but I have not found anything of the sort from the Scottish or NI. Again it seems that an outsider is calling all of us Brits when it is also use interchangably meaning English. ??? still looking...

Thank you for pointing that out the importance of keeping them separate. I tried to the other day, I guess I did not succeed.

There is a tendency for NON-UK to group us all together.... it irks every UK person I know btu then they are all Scottish or Irish.....there is too much history that is being ignored and although we are part of the British Isles and although we are part of the UNITED KINGDOM we are seperate entities onto ourselves...it is not the same as having provinces who come as one nation CANADA at these games, the origins and political histories are quite different and much like here: to mistaken a Scottish person for being an English or English supporter ...well that is akin to mistaken Dartmouthians as Haligonians... ... LOL....

I find in any Games I watch the GBR tag is seldom explained as being made of of 4 entities and I think that is confusing for some. I certainly would like to see the participants/athletes break down, (numbers entered) each Game.

I do not agree that if someone does not play for GBR they may not have been good enough, I know folks who refuse to have anything to do with GBR tag on several issues, a boycott if you will, so again we must not forget the history here and the pride and power of loyalty and territory.

Hmmm, me thinks you are over egging it a wee bit. I speak as someone who was born in England of Scottish Parents and have spent my life in equal measure in both countries. Yes, they are separate countries, but to suggest that Scottish runners want their Scottishness specifically recognised when they are running for GB is totally ridiculous. Most Scots, Welsh and English can cope with the concept of being Bristish and Scottish etc. Just because you get a few hill billies who jump up and down in tartan and bash the English at every given opportunity does not mean that 5 million of their fellow countrymen are standing squarely behind them....the same goes for the Welsh and Irish. You usually find the people who create the most about their Scottish identity have travelled the least, certainly never lived outside of Scotland and are generally not the sharpest tools in the box.

As if everyone, especially sports fans, are interested to know about the geo-political make up of the British Isles at every sporting event...if that was on the cards half the people in the UK would be confused, let alone abroad....if not catatonically bored beyond all reason.

RE Canadian identity:

In many respects the Canadian nation was created after some of the provinces had been established.....so it wasn't a case of here's Canada....tad dah! Lets populate it with....Canadians...Tad dah! Incidentally, try telling an Albertan or Quebequois that they are not proper state/national identities and see what happens to you....I help you extract the moose from yer arse if you like!

Hmmm, me thinks you are over egging it a wee bit. I speak as someone who was born in England of Scottish Parents and have spent my life in equal measure in both countries. Yes, they are separate countries, but to suggest that Scottish runners want their Scottishness specifically recognised when they are running for GB is totally ridiculous. Most Scots, Welsh and English can cope with the concept of being Bristish and Scottish etc. Just because you get a few hill billies who jump up and down in tartan and bash the English at every given opportunity does not mean that 5 million of their fellow countrymen are standing squarely behind them....the same goes for the Welsh and Irish. You usually find the people who create the most about their Scottish identity have travelled the least, certainly never lived outside of Scotland and are generally not the sharpest tools in the box.

As if everyone, especially sports fans, are interested to know about the geo-political make up of the British Isles at every sporting event...if that was on the cards half the people in the UK would be confused, let alone abroad....if not catatonically bored beyond all reason.

RE Canadian identity:

In many respects the Canadian nation was created after some of the provinces had been established.....so it wasn't a case of here's Canada....tad dah! Lets populate it with....Canadians...Tad dah! Incidentally, try telling an Albertan or Quebequois that they are not proper state/national identities and see what happens to you....I help you extract the moose from yer arse if you like!

Not at all R not egging one bit...it is what it is...I have oversimplified of course as this is not socio/poli/history board and I dont want to be scolded for being OFF TOPIC LOL

You may have misread my words.... or I was not as clear as I thought I was .. I said 'I' would like to see the break down of who is making up the GBR team/entity. I also said that each entity is deserving of its own and that when others use the GBR tag it should not be assumed that each has had say in that..it is NOT representative of all nations. Who we know ourselves to be there is not always how we are perceived outside of there...

Odd, you equate national pride with being a hillbilly...I can see where you missed my point... the extreme example you is off point R. If you are following Scottish politics you know there has been a flip to stronger pride as we organize our Parliament again combined with extensive urban renewal throughout major cities in Scotland... You cannot change that.

I also said that outsiders tend to use word interchangebaly: YES SCOTTISH are BRITISH and not all BRITS are ENGLISH...not all know that...I need only look at conversations I have had with so called educated persons here in NS.....most confused....and I do find it concerning that those that should know better do not know their own NS history.....and it is in this discussion that is revealed over and over and over that ' whites' are English...and that slavery started 400 years ago with African Blacks......now those folks have not travelled outside their own mind..

this myopic mentality is pervasive throughout the world....so I try not to miss an opportunity for re-education on such things.

Your choice of attacking Scottish and their pride is more telling about you not them or I. I do admit I slide in a joke or two but that is as far as I get with that topic as only those from the 4 nations would 'get it', leaves for a solo conversation mistaken for a monologue, at times.

For example:

it could be argued that if you were born in England than you are English and cannot speak for the Scottish, no self respecting Scots would allow it . ;))

You are also confused about the origins of Canada nationality. I suggest you read about Upper and Lower Canada and that should tell you who thought and still think they were Canada long before there was a nation of provinces and territories.

Not at all R not egging one bit...it is what it is...I have oversimplified of course as this is not socio/poli/history board and I dont want to be scolded for being OFF TOPIC LOL

You may have misread my words.... or I was not as clear as I thought I was .. I said 'I' would like to see the break down of who is making up the GBR team/entity. I also said that each entity is deserving of its own and that when others use the GBR tag it should not be assumed that each has had say in that..it is NOT representative of all nations. Who we know ourselves to be there is not always how we are perceived outside of there...

Odd, you equate national pride with being a hillbilly...I can see where you missed my point... the extreme example you is off point R. If you are following Scottish politics you know there has been a flip to stronger pride as we organize our Parliament again combined with extensive urban renewal throughout major cities in Scotland... You cannot change that.

I also said that outsiders tend to use word interchangebaly: YES SCOTTISH are BRITISH and not all BRITS are ENGLISH...not all know that...I need only look at conversations I have had with so called educated persons here in NS.....most confused....and I do find it concerning that those that should know better do not know their own NS history.....and it is in this discussion that is revealed over and over and over that ' whites' are English...and that slavery started 400 years ago with African Blacks......now those folks have not travelled outside their own mind..

this myopic mentality is pervasive throughout the world....so I try not to miss an opportunity for re-education on such things.

Your choice of attacking Scottish and their pride is more telling about you not them or I. I do admit I slide in a joke or two but that is as far as I get with that topic as only those from the 4 nations would 'get it', leaves for a solo conversation mistaken for a monologue, at times.

For example:

it could be argued that if you were born in England than you are English and cannot speak for the Scottish, no self respecting Scots would allow it . ;))

You are also confused about the origins of Canada nationality. I suggest you read about Upper and Lower Canada and that should tell you who thought and still think they were Canada long before there was a nation of provinces and territories.

Well if it helps to make this post more pallitable I actually still have a Scottish accent ;) I think I have misunderstood some of what you wrote...so sorry if that is the case. I think my point should have been that the fact that we compete as GB at the Olympics is up to the IOC, not the "British". If Scotland wants to compete seprarately then it will have to vote for independence. There is no halfway house as in football/rugby.

I am proud of my Scottish roots etc etc, but I have had enough space and time away from it to, as I see it, to get perspective. I know the parliament has made a difference and I have always supported it, but MSPs are just as despised as MPs and I just do not get any sense that people are spending too much time worrying about being "British". Also Urban renewal is not unique to Scotland and so I fail to see how that impacts on things.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting... that we reorganise a 400 year old Union on the basis that some foreigners don't know the difference between Britain and England! Surely the first step is to re-educate the foreigners.

I do think that those who express their nationality by ceaslessly bashing the English and harking back to Bannock Burn are not only small minded but they're dilluded. They just embarass themselves in the end. 50 million English people just smile politely and carry on and the rest of the world doesn't even blink. Most sane Scottish people just want to get on with there lives. I was not attacking their pride as you put it, I was stating what I believe, which is that most Scottish people "in my opinion" are not as hung up about these issues as you would have these forum members believe.

Your "outrage" is not their "outrage".

This is the latest wikipedia list for 2018 commonwealth games bids is as follows:

- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Well, I can categorically tell you there has been no talk at all here about Sydney bidding for the CWGs, 2018 or whenever in the future yet. Whoever posted that on Wiki got their facts out of the ether.

Well, I can categorically tell you there has been no talk at all here about Sydney bidding for the CWGs, 2018 or whenever in the future yet. Whoever posted that on Wiki got their facts out of the ether.

Well it is Wikipedia A fairy tale with some of its reporters LOL. I don't think the mayor of Sydney would be inspired to host the CWG's when a hand full of people showed up at city to greet the medal winners of new south wales returning from melbourne. Sydney has the facilities but would it be too soon and actually a step down the ladder.

jim jones

Well if it helps to make this post more pallitable I actually still have a Scottish accent ;) I think I have misunderstood some of what you wrote...so sorry if that is the case. I think my point should have been that the fact that we compete as GB at the Olympics is up to the IOC, not the "British". If Scotland wants to compete separately then it will have to vote for independence. There is no halfway house as in football/rugby.

I am proud of my Scottish roots etc etc, but I have had enough space and time away from it to, as I see it, to get perspective. I know the parliament has made a difference and I have always supported it, but MSPs are just as despised as MPs and I just do not get any sense that people are spending too much time worrying about being "British". Also Urban renewal is not unique to Scotland and so I fail to see how that impacts on things.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting... that we reorganise a 400 year old Union on the basis that some foreigners don't know the difference between Britain and England! Surely the first step is to re-educate the foreigners.

I do think that those who express their nationality by ceaselessly bashing the English and harking back to Bannock Burn are not only small minded but they're dilute. They just embarrass themselves in the end. 50 million English people just smile politely and carry on and the rest of the world doesn't even blink. Most sane Scottish people just want to get on with there lives. I was not attacking their pride as you put it, I was stating what I believe, which is that most Scottish people "in my opinion" are not as hung up about these issues as you would have these forum members believe.

Your "outrage" is not their "outrage".

Again I made no suggestion that each nation should compete on its own, I am advocating for education/clarification instead of assuming that the language we each choose is understood by all...I make that mistake at times until someone asks me to clarify...I assume people are more intelligent than they really are....

The point is much like Cape Breton and Nova Scotia...I do not have stats but I have spoken to enough people in CB who wish to be known as separate entity from NS while being with NS....is it wrong?

No , I am sure it is driven by a need for a sense of being, history, survival and culture...there does not have to be a competition about it...nor does it have to be contentious...does not mean they are opposing ....it is what it is....

Again it was me that was no clear I was not worrying about if Scots think they are Brits- they know who they are, I was pointing out that outsiders clump us all together without thought that we are not 'together' on many issues....the lack of basic geography is appalling

For example I was watching FAMILY FUED many years ago and this woman was asked to name a country in Europe...she said Africa....I was stunned...and thought it was a joke... especially since this woman was black .... another example..I am filling out custom card, USA printed..it says check box of location...I checked off Europe..then further down the page it offered UK as another option...well you cannot imagine my dang confusion....the more exact location was UK, however UK is IN Europe ....it is these types of clarifications I think, need to be acknowledged as to ignore them breeds ignorance...

It used to aggravate the heck out of me when Scots are referred to as SCOTCH......I now privately know that to be measure of their collective ignorance....

Urban renewal is not unique to Scotland, I never said it was...but what renewal does to historical locations is profound to its citizens young and old alike.....anywhere...lets ask those that live in Africville (HFX) much like the Gorbals(GLASGOW).....it shifts entire populations geographically and psychologically so unlike just erecting a building, the massive renewal in Glasgow...it changes the way an entire people function.....I recommend reading the Gorbals website....talk about connections of a displaced people...

I have no need to reply to your derogatory remarks toward those with Scottish pride.. That is like telling the CDN Metis to get over the LOUIS REIL mess....or the TREATY scandals and there are 1000's of other examples....clearly you have no understanding of how history, culture and pride shape a people.

It would be YOUR opinion and only that that Scottish people are not proud, they are wordly known as a very proud people, wrong or rightly. I have never at any time suggested that anyone is hung up on anything..your constant need to read more into my words is about you..you seem unusually defensive in fact.

It is clear that you have misunderstood/ misread or I was not clear...given your defensiveness it really does not matter what I said......

You do not know all that outrages me so how can you speak so globally... your consistent need to overinflate comments made is... entertaining...at best

What do you call an Englishman who.......oh nevermind... you wont get it..it is a Scottish joke...;)))

och aye....

If these cities are going to host the Commonwealth Games in 2018, let's see if they have any plans for large athletics stadiums.

Sydney-Telstra Stadium (Not an athletics stadium as it only hosts Football, Rugby, and Cricket, but would make a possible Commonwealth stadium)-83500

Wellington-No

Karachi-No

Lusaka-Zambia Stadium-70000 (Built for 2011 All-Africa Games)

Sheffield-Don Valley Stadium-25000 (built for the 1991 World University Games. Capacity needs to be increased.)

Toronto-No

Hamilton-No

Durban-King Senzangakhona Stadium-70000 (built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup)

So the cities that have no plans for a main stadium for the 2018 Commonwealth Games must either make plans for a stadium or drop out of this contest.

If these cities are going to host the Commonwealth Games in 2018, let's see if they have any plans for large athletics stadiums.

Wellington-No

Actually Wellington has Westpac Stadium with an oval pitch like the MCG which hosted athletics for the 2006 games.

wellington_westpac1.jpg

Sydney-Telstra Stadium (Not an athletics stadium as it only hosts Football, Rugby, and Cricket, but would make a possible Commonwealth stadium)-83500

Wellington-No

Karachi-No

Lusaka-Zambia Stadium-70000 (Built for 2011 All-Africa Games)

Sheffield-Don Valley Stadium-25000 (built for the 1991 World University Games. Capacity needs to be increased.)

Toronto-No

Hamilton-No

Durban-King Senzangakhona Stadium-70000 (built for the 2010 FIFA World Cup)

So the cities that have no plans for a main stadium for the 2018 Commonwealth Games must either make plans for a stadium or drop out of this contest.

Jim I have a feeling bases on standing venues that Sydney is up for a strong front lead with Durban a close second, okay maybe a tie.

I want to see bids from Leeds and Hobart.

Speaking of Leeds, baron, I think it did make a bid for the 1978 Commonwealth Games against Edmonton. I have to find the proper information, but I am certain it did try to get the Commonwealth Games in one time or another.

Just to confirm.

The new Senz Stadium in Durban is being built to handle between 70 000 and 85 000 for the world cup. alot of the reports have been misleading here so we dont know if it will have a 70 000 or 85 000 capacity, for the city says 70 000 and the desginers say 85 000.

secondly. it has been specifically designed with a commonwealth or olympics in mind, for it can be expanded easily to a 100 000 capacity for these large events with the addition of temporary seating.

Its an incredibly multipurpose venue, its even designed in such a way that a grand prix can drive thru the stadium as part of the street race track that surrounds the stadium (and will be in use next weekend for the A1 Grand prix).

Couple this with the 15 000 seater new indoor sports arena and high performance centre that is out to tender and the march 20th opening of the 10 000 seater ICC indoor arena and the Durban package is looking very good.

Add that all the stadia are no more than 5km apart (and 500m from the beach) and i reackon u have a very winning package against any competitor

Just to confirm.

The new Senz Stadium in Durban is being built to handle between 70 000 and 85 000 for the world cup. alot of the reports have been misleading here so we dont know if it will have a 70 000 or 85 000 capacity, for the city says 70 000 and the desginers say 85 000.

secondly. it has been specifically designed with a commonwealth or olympics in mind, for it can be expanded easily to a 100 000 capacity for these large events with the addition of temporary seating.

Its an incredibly multipurpose venue, its even designed in such a way that a grand prix can drive thru the stadium as part of the street race track that surrounds the stadium (and will be in use next weekend for the A1 Grand prix).

Couple this with the 15 000 seater new indoor sports arena and high performance centre that is out to tender and the march 20th opening of the 10 000 seater ICC indoor arena and the Durban package is looking very good.

Add that all the stadia are no more than 5km apart (and 500m from the beach) and i reackon u have a very winning package against any competitor

D, thanks for that clarification... yes it does sound very promising indeed.

Just to confirm.

Sounds Good.

How far has South Africa got in terms of building the stadiums for the 2010 world cup? Do you have any up-to-date information? Do you have any construction photos perhaps? How far Johannesburg has got with building the main 95,000 stadium?

Archived