Vancouver 2010 Merchandise

SkiFreak

Olympic mascots for resale on eBay

Damian Inwood, The Province

Published: Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Vancouver 2010's commercial-rights cops are investigating eBay sales of Olympic mascots at higher- than-retail prices.

"Our commercial rights group monitors it quite closely on eBay, if they see anybody crossing the line," Caley Denton, 2010's vice-president of ticketing and consumer marketing , said yesterday.

The Province found B.C.-based eBay seller "Leopard Golden Girl" was auctioning off a 41-centimetre-high Quatchi stuffed toy, starting at $45 US, with a "buy it now" feature at $59.99.

The toy sells for $40 at the Bay department stores.

The eBay seller was claiming that "stores can't keep them in stock, no more shipments before Christmas, HBC online sold out."

Denton said that's not true, and added, "I'll definitely pass that on to our commercial rights people and have them look into it."

The Bay spokeswoman Neesha Hothi said the store still has Quatchi toys in stock selling for $30 and $40.

Last night, eBay featured 38 mascot items for sale, many at prices above those charged at the Bay.

Yesterday, Vancouver 2010 launched an online store, selling mascots and Games souvenirs including key rings, jewelry, bookmarks, coins and shot glasses.

dinwood@png.canwest.com

Olympic mascots for resale on eBay

Damian Inwood, The Province

Published: Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Vancouver 2010's commercial-rights cops are investigating eBay sales of Olympic mascots at higher- than-retail prices.

"Our commercial rights group monitors it quite closely on eBay, if they see anybody crossing the line," Caley Denton, 2010's vice-president of ticketing and consumer marketing , said yesterday.

The Province found B.C.-based eBay seller "Leopard Golden Girl" was auctioning off a 41-centimetre-high Quatchi stuffed toy, starting at $45 US, with a "buy it now" feature at $59.99.

Those aren't commercial-rights cops, those sound more like Nazis. They should realize that the stuff will sell for more on ebay. Firstly because it's an auctioning system. Secondly because this is the only access international consumers have to the product right now. VANOC should focus their resources elsewhere in improving the Olympics, rather than monitoring and chasing people on ebay.

Well, I am very glad that I found all the "basic merchandise" I need right now on ebay. The mascots were quite expensive but thats ok, because I really want them now. As SkiFrek said, for me it was the only option to buy things right now. I am not sure if it makes sense if VANOC investigates Ebay. Sure its a problem for them - but I think they cant stop people selling stuff.