Royal Canadian Mint Unveils Vancouver 2010 Coins

mr.x

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tomorrow, the coins starts coming out. Well, good hunting for them, I suppose. ;)

McDonald's also released it's annual hockey collectible this week. Two years ago it was mini NHL trophies. Last year it was Team Canada mini jerseys. This year it's six NHL player mini hockey sticks. This week its Mats Sundin and Joe Thornton. I wonder what McDonald's will have as collectibles for 2010?

Let the Vancouver 2010 coin collecting begin! Once one manages to collect the 12 25-cent & the 2 1-dollar coins that come with the Vancouver 2010 name, there is a hendecagon-shaped display case with a large, red maple-leaf in the background to place them in. Yes, it does include the Vancouver 2010 and the RCM logos and the name of the collection itself.

(Note: If you haven't known your shapes for a long while, a HENDECAGON is an 11-sided-shaped polygon.)

Edited by Guardian

Let the Vancouver 2010 coin collecting begin! Once one manages to collect the 12 25-cent & the 2 1-dollar coins that come with the Vancouver 2010 name, there is a hendecagon-shaped display case with a large, red maple-leaf in the background to place them in. Yes, it does include the Vancouver 2010 and the RCM logos and the name of the collection itself.

(Note: If you haven't known your shapes for a long while, a HENDECAGON is an 11-sided-shaped polygon.)

Last year the Mint had this cardboard folder for the 2006 Lucky Loonie that you could get through their website for free:

2006LuckyLoonieFront.jpg

2006LuckyLoonieInside.jpg

2006LuckyLoonieInsideLeftPanel.jpg

Here is the link to the Canadian Mint.

Link: Official Website of the Royal Canadian Mint

Once you are successful in getting the front page, the display case for the Vancouver 2010 coins can be seen on the bottom-left corner of the image.

Here is the link to the Canadian Mint.

Link: Official Website of the Royal Canadian Mint

Once you are successful in getting the front page, the display case for the Vancouver 2010 coins can be seen on the bottom-left corner of the image.

So you can buy the whole set now? Interesting...

I'm assuming Canada Post outlets that sell coins will have these sets?

So you can buy the whole set now? Interesting...

I'm assuming Canada Post outlets that sell coins will have these sets?

No. The coins will be coming out for the next 2 years, slowly, until the start of the 2010 Winter Olympics. One question about that is how one gets the display case to hold the upcoming coins. That hasn't been answered yet and it will come later on anyway.

OUR VANCOUVER 2010 COIN COLLECTION IS HERE

Collect the coins. Experience the passion.

Available starting February 23, 2007.

In three years, Canada will host the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. As anticipation builds, we're proud to introduce an exciting new coin program.

Save these keepsakes from your everyday change.

We'll release twelve 25-cent circulation coins between February 23rd and the start of the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. Each features Olympic sporting events that take place or ice-including two Paralympic events. Plus, in 2008 and 2010 we'll circulate two special Lucky Loonies along with three bronze, silver and gold medalist 25-cent circulation coins that you'll have the opportunity to vote on-sign up for our newsletter to have announcements delivered directly to you.

Find them at RBC (Royal Bank of Canada) or participating Petro-Canada locations.

Collect these incomparable Vancouver 2010 coins. You can choose individual coins that have special meaning to you, as they become available. Or you can capture the full excitement of the Olympic Winter Games with a complete set of coins.

The STERLING SILVER HOLOGRAM SERIES features Olympic winter sports and themes enhanced with a selective hologram-a gorgeous tribute to Vancouver 2010.

The GOLD COLORED SERIES in 14-karat gold celebrates Canadian culture, wildlife, and Olympic Winter Games themes with colored designs-our first gold coins ever.

The GOLD PREMIUM SERIES pays tribute to the Olympic spirit with three captivating designs-each limited to 2,500 coins worldwide.

The ONE KILOGRAM masterpieces struck in 99.99% pure silver or gold. Only 2,500 of each of the two silver will be available and only 20 will be available in each of the gold.

(From the official Royal Canadian Mint website as of this date. Copyright 2006 (should be 2007)).

SkiFreak, the precise date hasn't been mentioned about it yet. Even though 2008 and 2010 has been mentioned here, it doesn't mean that it will be the case. Again, I assume that it is going to deal with giving out the 25-cent coins first, before handing out the $1 coins here.

Edited by Guardian

I found this press release, through a third-party entity, about the first Vancouver 2010 coin that has now been released for the public to get. The first coin depicts the sport of curling.

Petro-Canada Distributes Vancouver 2010 Olympic Curling Coin Sport Cards

CALGARY, ALBERTA -- (MARKET WIRE) -- February 22, 2007 -- Starting on February 23, 2007, participating Petro-Canada retail locations will sell exclusive Vancouver 2010 coin sport cards in support of Canadian athletes and coaches. The program is part of a partnership with the Royal Canadian Mint and RBC to circulate a 25-cent coin that profiles an Olympic or Paralympic winter sport leading up to Vancouver 2010. The first 25-cent circulation coin and collector card depicts the popular sport of curling.

Each card will feature a special colour version of the circulation coin embedded in laminated cards and sold for $7.95. A portion of the proceeds will be distributed to the Fuelling the Dream Fund, a corporate initiative aimed at helping develop Olympic and Paralympic athletes and coaches.

"Petro-Canada has a long history in supporting Canadian athletes and coaches," said Phil Churton, Vice-President of Marketing for Petro-Canada. "The Vancouver 2010 coin sport cards are another way for us to do our part for the upcoming 2010 Olympic Winter Games."

Petro-Canada is one of Canada's largest oil and gas companies, operating in both the upstream and the downstream sectors of the industry in Canada and internationally. The Company creates value by responsibly developing energy resources and providing world class petroleum products and services. Petro-Canada is proud to be a National Partner to the Vancouver 2010 Olympic and Paralympic Winter Games. The Company's common shares trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange under the symbol PCA and on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol PCZ.

No. The coins will be coming out for the next 2 years, slowly, until the start of the 2010 Winter Olympics. One question about that is how one gets the display case to hold the upcoming coins. That hasn't been answered yet and it will come later on anyway.

There are two full sets available through the mint, one for 23.99 and one for 29.99. Its a slow release for the individual coins.

Looks like some people are not wasting any time and have started selling the first of many Vancouver 2010 coinage on eBay. This link is the first I found.

Link: eBay Listing Example

I went to the nearby RBC and picked up a roll. Now if someone asks if that's a roll of quarters in my pocket I can proudly say, "Yes, as a matter of fact, it is!" :blink::lol:

They got the VANOC logo on the side with the queen. However, they stripped "Vancouver 2010" from the logo so it's just Ilanaaq with the Olympic rings. I guess they took 2010 out so that it doesn't interfere with the release date of the quarter which is just below the queen's head.

Anybody know if they'll release one of those carboard folder things to put the quarters in?

From a listing on eBay, this is when the quarters are coming out:

In 2007:

Curling - February 23, 2007

Ice Hockey - April 3, 2007

Wheelchair Curling - July 11, 2007

Biathlon - September 12, 2007

Alpine Skiing - October 24, 2007

Snowboarding - February 20, 2008

Freestyle Skiing - April 16, 2008

2008 Lucky Loonie (Dollar coin) - July 23, 2008

Figure Skating - September 10, 2008

Bobsleigh - October 29, 2008

Speed Skating - February 18, 2009

Cross country skiing - April 15, 2009

Ice Sledge Hockey - June 17, 2009

Bronze Medalist - August 5, 2009

Silver Medalist - September 9, 2009

Gold Medalist - October 7, 2009

2010 Lucky Loonie (Dollar coin) - November 4, 2009

Currently there is also a $75 coin out with a coloured mountie that says Vancouver 2010. Here's how it looks like:

http://cgi.ebay.com/2007-CANADA-75-GOLD-RC...bayphotohosting

The entire set is available throught RCM now! I received my set today.

12 quarters dated 2007, 2008 and 2009 featuring the Olympic Sports

A 2008 Loonie featuring a loon (for those who are not Canadian, a Loonie is 1 Dollar and a Toonie is 2 Dollars)

A 2010 Loonie featuring the Ilanaaq logo (I really love the logo because it is so unique ... tired of all the snowflakes in the past)

All mounted on a nice hexagon card with a logo hologram.

The quarters that come in the full set are the non-colourized ones right? Or are they the colourized ones like those that you can get at Petro Canada?

I think you are right on that one, SkiFreak. It seems to be a "wide range" of them out there right now. It includes the really expensive "pure gold" ones, too.

The quarters that come in the full set are the non-colourized ones right? Or are they the colourized ones like those that you can get at Petro Canada?

They are the non-colourized ones ... they same ones that are being distributed by the Royal Bank over the next 3 years.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know, to tell you the truth. When I went to my nearest local Canada Post office to drop some mail, I noticed that they carried the official Vancouver 2010 coins, too. And, yes, that includes the WHOLE 2007 set, which is contained in its own display case.

The Olympic Quarters are currently available in several forms ...

1. Vancouver 2010 Olympic Winter Games Coin Collection ... Comes complete in an attractive collector card with 12 circulation coins (2007-2009) and two Lucky Loonies (2008 & 2010)

2. 2007 Official First Day 25-Cent Curling Coin limited edition (10,000)

3. 2007 25-Cent Curling Circulation Coin Roll

4. 2007 $25 Sterling Silver Hologram Coin— Curling

5. 2007 Special Edition Uncirculated Set ... includes the five Vancouver 2010 25-Cent Coins to be released this year - Curling, Ice Hockey, Wheelchair Curling, Biathlon and Alpine Skiing.

In Canada, all these coins are available through the Royal Canadian mint and most Canada Post offices.

6. Petro-Canada's 2010 Sport Cards ... each card celebrates an Olympic or Paralympic sport, features a red maple leaf outline and is uniquely showcased on a collector card. These are the colorized quarters.

There are also gold coins available ...

1. 2007 $75 Gold Coloured Coin - Athlete's Pride

2. 2007 $300 Premium Gold Coin - Olympic Ideals

3. 2008 $300 Premium Gold Coin - Competition

I believe these coins are only available directly from the RCM.

Note ... from the RCM website ...

"*Products from the VANCOUVER 2010 OLYMPIC WINTER GAMES COLLECTION are only available for sale in Canada until further notice."

I hope this clears up any confusion!

• 3 weeks later...

Since the coins up to 2009 have been minted, what happens if HRH Queen Elizabeth II dies from now to 2009, won't the mint look read in the face to have to remint all the coins in the years after her death to Prince Charles' ugly face.