Uefa Don't Let Gibraltar Join

I'm afraid UEFA just doesn't want to upset Spain which is so sensitive on the subject of Gibraltar.And let's face it,does anybody in Britain really care that much to push it,anyway? As for the rest of Europe,they already see it as a curious historical anomaly that the UK is represented by 3 separate football associations without adding Gibraltar to the mix.They just don't want to get involved in the centuries old spat between Britain and Spain over a little bit of rock with 28,000 inhabitants.They look at a map,shrug their shoulders and think,"Well,it looks like it should be part of Spain to me!".It's no good us arguing through the historical and legal niceties,they're just not interested and,as I say,don't want to needlessly offend mighty Spain which has been threatening all sorts of dire consequences if Gibraltar is admitted!

I'm not saying it's right.My view,which I've expressed before,is that Spain never seems to learn that beating the people of Gibraltar around the head with a big stick,stamping their feet,and loudly insisting on their historical rights,is going to do nothing to persuade the people of the Rock to re-join Spain voluntarily! It just reminds them all too much of the bullying tactics of the Franco era.Preventing them from being admitted to UEFA is just the latest example of such foot-stamping behaviour.It has predictably worked with the indifferent members of UEFA,but probably only served to increase the already high levels of resentment and suspicion in Gibraltar about Spanish intentions towards them!

Hey-ho,nothing changes!!! <_<

Edited by Mainad

Spain,Spain,Spain,bla,bla,bla

Gibraltar’s application for membership has been turned down for 48 votes to 3 (England,Scotland and Wales), there was one abstention (Northern Ireland?)

two Commonwealth´s states (Malta and Cyprus) voted against Gibraltar...

was a clear,democratic and logical decision...

UEFA is only for independent states,Gibraltar is not an independent state,ergo...

the rest is only demagogy.

Well, as other home nations play individually, I would see how Gibraltar would have a case for membership. There players would be British, yes, but would not be English, Irish (Northern), Scottish or Welsh. It might serve Ufea best to have a special type of membership such as Gibraltar, Jersey, Guernsey and so on, as their players would otherwise be "refugees" - in a representational sense.

However, objections such as lack of facilities (i.e. a pitch) are viable objections. It would be important that the government in Gibraltar work to provide such basic sports facilities, or engage in some sort of agreement to create such provision.

Well, I do belie that Spain's treat to boycott every competition in which Gibraltars would have taken place was quite exaggerated. I mean, why the heck do you Spaniards care so much? Its nearly (underline the nearly) as pathetic as the "Han island ""crisis""".

Sorry Gibraltar, but it's good that there's not another third-class football team participating in the EURO qualifiers. In any event, I'm no supporter of that sectarianism in sports associations. And that's why I always ask myself (OK, I know that this a big, big taboo...) why England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can't form united sports federations at last.

And that's why I always ask myself (OK, I know that this a big, big taboo...) why England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland can't form united sports federations at last.

Because many Scots don't even want to be part of our 'not-so-United Kingdom' anymore,let alone form a united sports federation!

Britishness is becoming a thing of the past.Most people here see themselves as 'English,Scottish,Welsh or Irish'.More so now than ever!

Edited by Mainad
Spain,Spain,Spain,bla,bla,bla

Gibraltar’s application for membership has been turned down for 48 votes to 3 (England,Scotland and Wales), there was one abstention (Northern Ireland?)

two Commonwealth´s states (Malta and Cyprus) voted against Gibraltar...

was a clear,democratic and logical decision...

UEFA is only for independent states,Gibraltar is not an independent state,ergo...

the rest is only demagogy.

It was a clearly pathetic decision. What did Spain threaten to do? Take its ball home and not play anymore. Just how pathetic are the Spanish FA for whining so much and UEFA for swallowing the nonsense? Organisations like UEFA should be about inclusiveness, allowing as many people as possible to take part in their particular sport. A decision like this is not logical. It is backward, as backward as those who claim it to be right.

It was a clearly pathetic decision. What did Spain threaten to do? Take its ball home and not play anymore. Just how pathetic are the Spanish FA for whining so much and UEFA for swallowing the nonsense? Organisations like UEFA should be about inclusiveness, allowing as many people as possible to take part in their particular sport. A decision like this is not logical. It is backward, as backward as those who claim it to be right.

why pathetic?

is Gibraltar a state? NO

is UN´s member? NO

ergo...there´s not place for Gibraltar in UEFA...

only the spanish vote is pathetic? the others 47 votes against Gibraltar are pathetics too or not?

Read and you will understand. There is every place for Gibraltar if Spain particularly had the brains and the good sense to realise it. Never mind the rest of the cretins. It's Spain who were most vociferous against this and it is Spain who should come out and attempt to justify this disgrace.

Great victory for the Armada. Free Gibraltar from those greedy Brits!

I agree.Let's throw in Holland as well!

Because many Scots don't even want to be part of our 'not-so-United Kingdom' anymore,let alone form a united sports federation!

Britishness is becoming a thing of the past.Most people here see themselves as 'English,Scottish,Welsh or Irish'.More so now than ever!

So how is it possible to form a British Olympic Association and a British Olympic team then? At least here in Germany we never got reports about serious trouble between the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish members of the past Olympic teams.

We in Germany also have at least one very headstrong region, Bavaria. In Bavaria it's very popular to mock the rest of Germany (which they call "Prussia", regardless of the historical facts) and, from time to time, to silently consider a secession. Nevertheless, we always join forces whenever it is needed -- especially in sports. We cheer our successful winter athletes -- no matter whether they're from Thuringia or Bavaria --, we even are (partially) united in our aversion to Bayern München and, most of all, we jointly root for our national football team (as one could see at the World Cup, for example).

As long as there's a Union Jack (and soon a Scottish prime minister for the whole country) I wouldn't call it utopistic to stand together -- at least in sports.

You don't seem to get the point that Mainad was making. Allow me to spell it out. The polls are bearing this out - more and more people feel English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish than ever before. There has been a long-standing Scottish independence movement now for many, many years. So even allowing for the existence of the BOA, so-called "Britishness" appears to be dying.

Maybe you should look at when the BOA was formed and that may give you an idea as to why it exists at all.

You don't seem to get the point that Mainad was making. Allow me to spell it out. The polls are bearing this out - more and more people feel English, Welsh, Scottish or Irish than ever before. There has been a long-standing Scottish independence movement now for many, many years. So even allowing for the existence of the BOA, so-called "Britishness" appears to be dying.

Maybe you should look at when the BOA was formed and that may give you an idea as to why it exists at all.

Well, I've understood Mainad's point very well. But I've asked you, too, whether there have ever been serious conflicts between the English, Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish athletes in the British Olympic team -- which would prove that there really can't be any form of nationwide agreement in the field of sports.

And why on earth are you still one country then -- if your interior conflicts are really that dramatic?

Have a look at the hoo-hah about a GB football team for 2012. That might give you a clue.

First of all: You still haven't answered my question about conflicts in past British Olympic teams. It would help a lot if you answered my questions first before turning to other subjects.

And secondly: Could you please go a bit more into detail about that "hoo-hah"? I don't know what you're talking about. And additionally: What does that "hoo-hah" change about the existence of the United Kingdom? Let me repeat my question: Why on earth are you still one country then -- if your interior conflicts are really that dramatic? I've never heard that the United Kingdom is in real danger of breaking up.

How the hell should I know? I'm not an Olympian, I've never been part of an Olympic team. What makes you think I have some sort of inside information. Let's face it - most Olympic sports that "British" athletes are involved with are individual, not team disciplines aren't they, so why would it register?

As for football in 2012, we've discussed it here long before now, when it emerged that the Scottish and Welsh FAs didn't want any part of a GB team, precisely because they want to maintain separate international teams. And the only reason the UK still exists in its present form is because the Scottish Nationalists, yet, haven't gained control north of the border. Though that may change come May.

But none of this alters this basic fact - more and more people in Britain don't feel British. The figures speak for themselves. I identify myself as English first and foremost. If the UK ceased to exist tomorrow, it wouldn't really bother me. This isn't specifically a sporting issue, it is a far wider issue based on a large number of factors.

It's all about history, rivalry and tradition. A very complicated and in many ways political issue, that goes further than sport.

the first thing you should know is that the first ever international match was played between England and Scotland in 1872. (Match Report).