Olympics of the Past

baron-pierreIV

In Lake Placid 1980, this former athlete, who had her birthday last Thursday, competed in the alpine events and made Olympic history for her tiny European country:

Link: IOC: The Tall Lady From The Small Country

Mine are all relatively recent, Lillehammer 1994, Nagano 1998, Sydney 2000 and Salt Lake City 2002.

Lillehammer because of the passion that the games had

Nagano because of the Japaneseness of the games, the Canadian performances here and there (especially bobsleigh)

Sydney, especially the Opening Ceremonies, because of the passion, the quality of competition and the beautiful location

Salt Lake City, to be there when Canada won gold. It would have been amazing. I still remember that game well. Its been awhile, but I would love to relive it.

Mine are all relatively recent, Lillehammer 1994, Nagano 1998, Sydney 2000 and Salt Lake City 2002.

Lillehammer because of the passion that the games had

Nagano because of the Japaneseness of the games, the Canadian performances here and there (especially bobsleigh)

Sydney, especially the Opening Ceremonies, because of the passion, the quality of competition and the beautiful location

Salt Lake City, to be there when Canada won gold. It would have been amazing. I still remember that game well. Its been awhile, but I would love to relive it.

It is amazing in itself about Canada's performance in the Winter Olympics since 1988. Now that the Winter Olympics are going to make "full circle" to Vancouver 2010 for Canada, it will be something for Canadians to shout in the stands.

Inded, its amazing the progress we made since 1988. Sure, we got some "help" from the IOC (Freestyle Skiing, Curling, skeleton, Short Track...), but we also made amazing progress in Speed Skating, Downhill Skiing and Cross Country.

for me i woul dlove to go back to 1976 montreal and the 1500m final which john walker of new zealand won gold or 1984 at the canoeing where new zealand won 4 gold medals!! 1996 atlanta with danyon loaders two gold medals! Also the 2004 triathlon for men with the gold and silver for new zealand

• 4 months later...

Here is the first of three reports, located at the Vancouver 2010 official website, about how North America hosted the Winter Olympics of the past.

The first one is about Lake Placid, New York, in 1980.

Link 1: Legacies Of North American Winter Games - Lake Placid

Link 2: A More Detailed Version (In .PDF) About Lake Placid 1980 (54 Pages Long)

For me it would be the Sarajevo Winter Games. I grew up in Champaign, IL, home of Bonnie Blair, and helped raise money through the Land of Lincoln Speedskating Club to help cover her expenses. I later was able to attend the Calgary games as part of the "Champaign Bubbles" cheering section...

For me it would be the Sarajevo Winter Games. I grew up in Champaign, IL, home of Bonnie Blair, and helped raise money through the Land of Lincoln Speedskating Club to help cover her expenses. I later was able to attend the Calgary games as part of the "Champaign Bubbles" cheering section...

You must had quite a blast, when she won those medals back in Calgary then. Now, thanks to Salt Lake City, American speed skaters are nothing to sneeze at anymore. However, it will be interesting on how all the speed skaters will compete at Vancouver 2010, when the venue itself is at "sea level." It would be like the one in the Netherlands, in this way, that I know of.

OMG!!!! I contributed to Bonnie's '88 run. I went to Parkland and graduated in '84. Grew up over around Danville. I tried out and was accepted for the L.A. '84 "All American Marching Band" semi-finals but took a job in Chicago instead. HUGE MISAKE! <_<

Anywho - check you p.m. B)

Off topic.

I saw an interesting documentary about Hitler's megastructures. The only one that remains is the Berlin Olympic Stadium. When the architects (Spear I think), presented the designs to him, they used glass around the stadium. Hitler got mad and said them that he wants only rocks and granites. He also wanted to build a 400.000 seats stadium, based on the Panathinaiko, but because of the war he couldn't do it. He laso wanted to build from granite, but he needed 4 times the world production of granite per year just for the stadium. Remains only what left from the excavations and today it's a big lake. The stadium was supposed to host all Olympic Games after Hitler conquest of the world.

I saw that on the HIstory Channel the other night, and they had a digital recreation of what it would have looked like if the project had been finished.

Off topic.

I saw an interesting documentary about Hitler's megastructures. The only one that remains is the Berlin Olympic Stadium. When the architects (Spear I think), presented the designs to him, they used glass around the stadium. Hitler got mad and said them that he wants only rocks and granites. He also wanted to build a 400.000 seats stadium, based on the Panathinaiko, but because of the war he couldn't do it. He laso wanted to build from granite, but he needed 4 times the world production of granite per year just for the stadium. Remains only what left from the excavations and today it's a big lake. The stadium was supposed to host all Olympic Games after Hitler conquest of the world.

Actually, the Olympia Stadion was not a Speer project, it was designed by Werner March, the son of the man who originally designed the Olympic Stadium meant to host the aborted 1916 Berlin Olympics.

Most other of the big projects of the Nazi era were Speer works, though. I think the only one that really survices is a Kongresshalle in Nuremburg, next door to the Zepellinfeld (which also still exists and is the site that you see in all the old footage of the Nazi rallies there such as in Triumph of the Will).

architecture.jpg

Kongresshalle, Nuremburg

Nurnberg14.jpg

I'm not sure (it wasn't labelled very well), but I think this is part of the 400,000-seater Deutsches Stadion plan.

Sydney (for I know the Aussies put on a great show and of my lifelong love affair with Australia)

Moscow (out of curiousity due to the US boycott and of the fact being held in a Communist nation

Los Angeles (for the colorful pagentry and see Carl Lewis, Michael Jordan, among others)

Barcelona (for the Dream Team)

The stadium I talk about it's the one at the 2nd photo.

They had actually construct a small part of the seats to see if the ones at the upper last row could see what was going on inside the arena, and they had perfect vision. I think that the distance was either 60 or 90 meters.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As I did attend LA-84, Barcelona-92, and Atlanta-06, I would have to have omit them from my list.

If I could go back in time (before MY time), I would pick Athens-1896 and Berlin-1936. I would love to have seen then from a historic prospective.

I would also like to have see Moscow-80. I could have attended, as I was 26 at the time. However Berlin and Athens (1st) are my choices.

Anyone else agree?

1936 Berlin (for the lore which has been etched in German and Olympic history)

1956 Cortina d'Ampezzo (for my fascination with the rugged Dolomites)

1988 Seoul (although I was in Seoul during the Olympics as a 4 year old, I'd sure like a better memory)

1992 Barcelona (the first Olympics I'd ever watched)

1994 Lillehammer (the first Winter Olympics I'd ever watched. It was because of Lillehammer I came to enjoy the Winter Games more than the Summer Games)

• 2 months later...

Archived