My Australian Fifa World Cup Venues.

My opinion is simple; which ever venue is Australia's largest when the WC is staged, should be the logical choice to host the final. If Sydney's Olympic Stadium was to be reconfigured, allowing for the original capacity and ultimately securing it as the nation's biggest stadium, then it should host. But if Melbourne's MCG was to remain the largest in Aus, then it should host.

Ok right, this is my take on it:

- If we're talking about international status, then we have to remember that in 2002 Yokohama hosted the World Cup Final, not Tokyo. Infact there were no world cup games in Tokyo in 2002. Given this, it would be OK for Melbourne to host the world cup final, despite being, less-world famous, having less international status and recognition compared to Sydney.

- On the other hand, if we're saying that the MCG should get the final simply because it's a bigger venue, well that isn't a cast-iron arguement. We have to recognise that Sydney's Telstra stadium at 83-88,000 isn't exactly small is it? Infact it is has greater capacity than Berlin's olympic stadium (74,500, hosted 2006 final), and Yokohama's stadium (70,000 hosted 2002 final). It is more than appropriate/ adequate to host a world cup final.

But the most important thing to remember is that, before people get too carried away about which city gets the final (Sydney or Melbourne), they need to concentrate on how/ when Australia is actually going to win a bid in the first place.

I mean 2018 is not looking very likely. On the one hand- would FIFA want 3 consecutive southern hemisphere hosts (after 2010 SA and 2014 Brazil)? For those who point out that Australia is now part of Asia (in FIFA qualification), well then there is another Asian bid: China that is far more attractive option, with a ~1.2 Billion market to tap into, rather than a ~20 million market

Australia 2026/30 is more realistic

And, if you needed more proof, just look at Estádio do Maracanã, in Rio de Janeiro, it's the undisputed "mecca" and "cradle" of football

Well actually I would dispute that claim. What about Wembley stadium?

Yes- The Macarena is one of the most iconic stadiums in the football world, but I wouldn't say it's the undisputed mecca of the football world. Wembley can give it more than a run for it's money, in that regard.

Newcastle 750,000? Pfft maybe in 40 years pal!

Sorry i didn't specify. The Hunter Valley region 9which Newcastle is the main city of) has a population of 750,000.

As for your 'back on topic' quip - how exactly was my post off topic? It takes more than just venues to host a World Cup.

When i began writing, your post was not there. I got distracted midway through writing the post and eventually finished it after you had posted (which i did not realise).

Well actually I would dispute that claim. What about Wembley stadium?

Yes- The Macarena is one of the most iconic stadiums in the football world, but I wouldn't say it's the undisputed mecca of the football world. Wembley can give it more than a run for it's money, in that regard.

I'd say Wembley would top the Maracana.

Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Adelaide, Gold Coast, Newcastle and Canberra can all currently support large tourist numbers. in 15 years, Townsville should too. That's 9 cities; with Melbourne and Sydney each with 2 venues. Tasmania will have to participate, so in total, Australia would have the ideal amount of 12 venues.

During the 2018 competition, I think somebody posted the requirements. Can we find them?

I found this in the england2018bid site.. don't know if it's the official one, anyway:

There will need to be at least ten stadiums put forward all with 40,000 capacity or above, plus at least two stadia must be 60,000 plus capacity, for the opening match, the semi-finals and the final of the World Cup. A further current regulation is that only two of the stadiums can be in the same city

Well so far as Australia hosting football tournaments is concerned it looks like they have the Asian Cup in their sites, with a 2015 bid looking feasible, check out this article from ABC news (Australia):

Australia's chances of hosting 2011 Asian Cup fading

And the ones who have applied for it now are India, Iran and Qatar:

SINGAPORE, Feb 14, 2007 (AFP) - India, Iran and Qatar are in the running to host the 2011 Asian Cup finals after the deadline to express an interest expired.

The three countries have all put their hat in the ring and must now formally declare in writing their official candidature by April 1, the Asian Football Confederation said.

A final decision will be made on July 28, the day before the final of the 2007 Asian Cup. This year's event is being co-hosted by Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam and Indonesia, with Japan the defending champions.

The AFC added it is set to rubberstamp a plan to create a rotating system for the Cup, whereby it is held in Central, South or West Asia in 2011 before reverting to East Asia or the Asean region in 2015.

While Qatar and Iran qualified for this year's finals, India remains an underachieving footballing nation, with a lack of professionalism and player development hindering its progress.

It finished bottom of its group table in qualifying, conceding 24 goals and scoring just two.

Iran, three times Asian Cup champions, has held the tournament twice before, in 1968 and 1976, while Qatar played host in 1988. India has never hosted the event since the first edition in 1956 in Hong Kong.

The host country automatically qualifies for the finals.

AFP

Well I'm personally against a Asian Cup in Australia. (well for the time being) Sure it'll be nice and all, but I fear that very little upgrading of facilities and stadiums will occur, and that they'll use existing venues "As is" without even upgrading them or doing little cosmetic changes to accommodate the cup.

Well I'm personally against a Asian Cup in Australia. (well for the time being) Sure it'll be nice and all, but I fear that very little upgrading of facilities and stadiums will occur, and that they'll use existing venues "As is" without even upgrading them or doing little cosmetic changes to accommodate the cup.

Of course it's always nicer to get the big prize rather than the consolation one, but when it comes to Australia's future World Cup hosting hopes it would be a good and wise move to host the Asian Cup.

While we in Oz are well aware that the game has really turned a corner now and now has a firm foundation and real claims to becoming one of our major codes, let's face it, to the rest of the footballing world we're still considered a johnny-come-lately backwater and a novelty. That's our main hurdle in trying to get the WC. Hosting an event would go a long way to dispelling that notion. Oh, and some continued success at the major tournaments like this year's Asia Cup and the 2010 South Africa WC would help a lot too _ if we can't maintain the international momentum that we achieved in the 2006 finals there's a danger the hightened profile we are slowwly gaining will slip (and interest at home could slip as well).

• 4 weeks later...

Archived