David Beckham Leaves Madrid For La!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps he could hop across the border during the "off season".

Good idea. Never mind getting him to try to visit Canada during the FIFA U-20 World Cup this year. That should give those upcoming international football players of the future a glimpse of a very well-known soccer player with major clout in the "beautiful game" in person.

Good idea. Never mind getting him to try to visit Canada during the FIFA U-20 World Cup this year. That should give those upcoming international football players of the future a glimpse of a very well-known soccer player with major clout in the "beautiful game" in person.

Well guardian in case you didnt know the coach for the Galaxy is the former Canadian nation team coach Frank Yallop and on the team

is bedford nova scotia born and raised Ante Jazić. His parents I believe are from Croatia and Ante played there , Austria and Russia before

being signed to the LA Galaxy in 2006.

I think it is like anything with sports , you have people that can play the game very well and then there are those that are unbelievable.

Beckham is one of those. The legs and the injuries take there toll at 31 .

To the people who say beckham is washed up well I think you might be right in someways but his commerical value is highest in north america

because we basically have had people who can play the game and that is it. The Latino population in the untied states is a big factor for soccer

doing well compared to Peles stay with the new york cosmos. The other thing that is a smart move for beckham and the league is that his popularity

is huge in eastern asia. Like people from japan who play a round of golf on pebble beach which a japanese company owns now . You will see

tours of asians coming for games and the LA galaxy have a tour of asia planned.

The marketing genius that is the anschultz group it formidable and if the red bull get ronaldo you are going to see something way beyond

the old NASL and Pele in america. With money like that instead of Wayne Rooney packing up his boots from Man U to go to an AC Milan or Real Madrid

he might go straight to the STATES. Yes if it isn't a Yank by the name of Malcolm Glazer taking over control of Man U then it will be the taking of britians best

players after they have outgrown the islands economy. It is all part of "selling england of by the pound" LOL.

Yes 250 million us for a five year contract making you the highest paid team athlete in the world and the second highest paid athlete period while you spend the

latter part of your career in south california isnt a bad idea . All at the age of 31 with a public in america that actually is very happy to have you.

LOL

jim jones

Well, jim jones, that Beckham contract scares me big time. I will not want to hear and see that these kinds of sporting contracts are going to start making athletes become "billionaires" in my lifetime in just a couple of years. Of course, you have said about how some cities should be very careful about how money is being or going to be spent on whatever sporting event or related issues they want to get. Sure, we will never know what is Beckham's "true" motives for accepting the deal he signed with the LA Galaxy. However, it seems, according to the BBC, the Real Madrid coach took major offense to Beckham's decision and told him "not to come back ever again."

Can you blame them? If someone offered you a massive amount more money to do the same job, would you turn it down?
and the big bonus is by the time he is 36 he is probably a full US citizen with a huge fortune on top of what he has now.

He will probably get to be like wayne gretzky being part owner of a franchise of his choice if not total owner. If Becks doesnt like La after 5 years I am sure he

would have an opportunity at a club in arizona or another sunbelt location. It would certainly be a dream for any person from a northern country

like britian or canada. Then you add that his take home paid is more then europe because the taxes are much lower then britian or europe for that matter.

They are talking movie and tv roles as well and that pattern I am sure is not lost on beckham of a european athlete coming to south california and becoming very successful after a athletic career. Arnold Schwarzenegger comes to mind.

I cant see anyone yelling crass things at his wife either from the stand like they did in england. Soccer in America is a place she would actually be able to take her kids to the games and sit in the stands. Celebs do attend games court side and dont get hassled in LA.

jim jones

Well, jim jones, that Beckham contract scares me big time. I will not want to hear and see that these kinds of sporting contracts are going to start making athletes become "billionaires" in my lifetime in just a couple of years. Of course, you have said about how some cities should be very careful about how money is being or going to be spent on whatever sporting event or related issues they want to get. Sure, we will never know what is Beckham's "true" motives for accepting the deal he signed with the LA Galaxy. However, it seems, according to the BBC, the Real Madrid coach took major offense to Beckham's decision and told him "not to come back ever again."

Well the size of contracts doesnt scare me and it is prospective of course. This is private money where as an Olympics or Commonwealth games is public money in many cases with no rational for the excessive costs except to try to flex architectural and nation prime. Tiger woods is about 30 million above Beckhams new contract and who pays to go on a golf course to watch a weekend of golf? Yes tiger draws people out , no question but the majority of his money comes from tv, sponsorship and endorsement deals. You compare on a scale with arnold palmer and his cooper tire pitchman job. 10 million dollars a year arnolds contract was worth and he isnt an active player even on the seniors tour.

You can get a sense of why a 250 million five year deal is made when you realize it is not just the on the bums in the seats thing this money comes from.

Beckham has done the right thing for the game and his career . He is over exposed in europe but he is still the marquee name in soccer for worldwide value. Wayne Rooney is only young and part of a new generation . the Anschultz group is not just giving him 250 million dollars , it is a guarantee for the length of the contract and the money is from sponsorship, image rights, a cut of merchantdise and part ownership of the team for beckham. Consider that anschultz sold the new york red bull for 100 million dollars and anschultz still owns the new stadium . They will be doing a 50 percent split with the REd bull billionare on revenues from the stadium including games there.

Anschultz owns many of the stadiums after owning 10 of the 12 teams at one time. With deals to local companies they now own only three teams and a Hunt group owner three. The bottomline is that with AEG owning the stadiums they make on other events because they are also the second largest concert promoter in america. Beckham could be making money from concerts in the Home Depot stadium in C, naarson.

It is los angeles and beckhams deal is about the budget of a major studio for about a year. It is not that big a thing in real terms of the entertainment business when it is over 5 years and is made up of the different revenue streams that is probably going to include a bigger deal then the 7 to 8 million a year for TV rights.

lets say beckham has the rates go to 30 million a year and people start to watch . Then you are going to get bigger numbers for on field sponsorship,naming rights of stadiums, the list goes on and on .

Their rate for logos on shirts was 500,000 dollars per year. Recently I read that a team has signed a deal for 4 to 5 million a year for shirt rights for a corporate logo. that is pre david beckham. The Galaxy may get 10 million a year or actually way more from a sponsor when beckhams jersey comes out because asian fans will probably be buying them buy the container load. easily beckham as in investment could end up netting the MLS and the anschultz group huge profits and

galaxy and two other clubs are profitable now without beckham or ronaldo. IF ronaldo comes and the chicago fire get a star then who knows where this can go.

If Ronaldo comes to the league with half the salary in new york it will explode. Between those two travelling to different cities visiting there will be sold out stadiums and probably the need to add seating for a while. Local tv deals will be very sweet as well.

The MLS is also experiencing marked increases in season ticket sales and corporate suites even before this announcement .

I think you will also see expansion and that will add to the balance sheets for a while. With Beckham here the game will be getting huge exposure and that will drive it all. I would be afraid if I was gary bettman actually because the NHL fell behind Nascar because of the strike and the NHL does not have any rabbits to pull of a hat like players from europe. IN hockey the best you can get are already in the NHL. MLS soccer with beckham even over the hill in some opinions is like

finding the next wayne gretzky in europe who has been playing their for the last decade.

jim jones

They're also the people who have bought and are renovating the Dome in London. Interesting.

Rob they are also owners of the largest indoor arena in great britian at the present time.

they own the MENs machester evening news arena.

The ownership of British venues and sport franchises by foreign interests is growing larger.

aston villa is chaired and basically owned by a man from the cleveland browns NFL gridiron football club

chelsea is owned by a russian

west ham is owned by a icelander

Man U is owned by the man who owns the tampa bay buchaneers NFL franchise

I would think it would be troubling for great britian but of course in canada we ironically have

an america owning the montreal canadians . It is odd because we really made no fuss about it

and it really would be like the new york yankees being sold to a foriegner. it is a long historic club

with a great tradition of winning the most championships.

jim jones

As long as they are fit and proper people to run these institutions, there's not a great problem. We can hardly discrimate on grounds of nationality, can we.

No of course you cant stop a sale because of nationality but that was really done in the case of Rupert Murdock and his desire to own MAN U.

How Malcohm Glazier then got his mits on MAN U with a hostile take over is beyond me. It would seem that in some cases the government cant stop the attack over longterm if a british interest does come to the table.

What is it with Britians business elite ? No desire to buy a football team, they dont have the means , or are they not liiquid enough or overdrawn in credit to afford a team . It would seem to be a profitable business if americans are buying in ? Of course one thing that would attract americans in the sports business is the fact that

Football is so dominate in the british market place and the national lottery provides funding to the stadiums for construction. You just dont have those factors here. and the fight for public money for a stadium is incredible stateside.

On top of that it seems athletic talent on the field on an average is not being paid some of the wages that leagues in america are for most popular sports.

That is no slap to britian as you can go to the forbes list of top paid athletes and it is basically made up of americans playing in america . Beckham and schumaker were the only entries from europe and of course Michael is now retired so he drops off the list. Micheal Vick was making more then Beckham was playing in Madrid. And Micheal Vicks team the atlanta falcons didnt even finish wit a winning season or a playoff berth this year. The coach was fired and replaced with a guy who is probably making more in 5 years then most premiership soccer player LOL.

i just find it odd that Richard Branson ,James Dyson or Sir Paul MacCartney does not buy in to a football team. Considering the company monster cable has naming rights on the old candlestick in san franscisco and they are only a 30 million dollar a year company I find the lack of british support outside of a Barclays bank strange.

jim jones

i just find it odd that Richard Branson ,James Dyson or Sir Paul MacCartney does not buy in to a football team. Considering the company monster cable has naming rights on the old candlestick in san franscisco and they are only a 30 million dollar a year company I find the lack of british support outside of a Barclays bank strange.

jim jones

British companies have been notoriously reluctant to put their hands in their pockets when it comes to sponsoring sport in the UK!

State sponsorship has been traditionally stingy too compared to other European countries of similar size like France,Germany and Italy.Undoubtedly the main reasons why we don't perform half as well as those three do in the international sports arena!

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that all this will change for the better in the run up to and aftermath of the 2012 Olympics and even more so if we manage to land the World Cup in 2018.Because if they can't do the trick,then I doubt anything will!

No of course you cant stop a sale because of nationality but that was really done in the case of Rupert Murdock and his desire to own MAN U.

How Malcohm Glazier then got his mits on MAN U with a hostile take over is beyond me. It would seem that in some cases the government cant stop the attack over longterm if a british interest does come to the table.

What is it with Britians business elite ? No desire to buy a football team, they dont have the means , or are they not liiquid enough or overdrawn in credit to afford a team . It would seem to be a profitable business if americans are buying in ? Of course one thing that would attract americans in the sports business is the fact that

Football is so dominate in the british market place and the national lottery provides funding to the stadiums for construction. You just dont have those factors here. and the fight for public money for a stadium is incredible stateside.

On top of that it seems athletic talent on the field on an average is not being paid some of the wages that leagues in america are for most popular sports.

That is no slap to britian as you can go to the forbes list of top paid athletes and it is basically made up of americans playing in america . Beckham and schumaker were the only entries from europe and of course Michael is now retired so he drops off the list. Micheal Vick was making more then Beckham was playing in Madrid. And Micheal Vicks team the atlanta falcons didnt even finish wit a winning season or a playoff berth this year. The coach was fired and replaced with a guy who is probably making more in 5 years then most premiership soccer player LOL.

jim jones

As far as the BSkyB takeover of Manchester United was concerned, I seem to recall that was a decision of the Monopolies and Mergers Commission. I thought it was the right decision then, and I stand by that view. It's not a question of nationality. I think there are integrity questions. How could there possibly have been fair and balanced coverage of Manchester United by media outlets coming under Murdoch's control when he also owns the club?

There were serious, and I believe quite legitimate, concerns about the Glazer deal. Until they took over, Manchester United had been a profitable, financially stable enterprise. Now they have a massive debt to regularly service. The only way to keep doing that is to achieve success on the pitch and maintain it. They're doing OK at the moment, but they need to sustain it for a period of many years yet.

As for why people like Branson et al don't buy into football clubs, I'd ask them. Football is very much wrapped up in long-standing passion for the clubs concerned. At Middlesbrough, for example, Steve Gibson has pumped tens of millions of pounds of his own money into a club which 20 years ago almost went bust to transform it into a Premiership side competing in Europe. Why? Because he's a fan. He stood on the terraces at the old Ayresome Park and he is as much of a fan now as he was then.

That's what football fans in this country value most about those who run their clubs. They want them to feel as much for the team as they do. That's why it's so refreshing to see Randy Lerner doing so much to understand the history of Aston Villa. Unlike some, he seems to be making a conscious effort to understand exactly what he has bought and good on him for that.

Player wages may not be on the top levels of the States, but they are still way out of reach of most working people. And as far as stadia are concerned, you can only get grants for them if there is a 'community' element to their planned usage. Otherwise, you're on your own and have to bring other partners on board, whether retail or otherwise.

I think this sums it up best:

"In some respects I don't have any regrets. In other ways, I did blow £40m, lost my wife, everything I had and was made to start from scratch."

Mark Goldberg, now manager of non-league Bromley, on his time as Crystal Palace owner.

British companies have been notoriously reluctant to put their hands in their pockets when it comes to sponsoring sport in the UK!

State sponsorship has been traditionally stingy too compared to other European countries of similar size like France,Germany and Italy.Undoubtedly the main reasons why we don't perform half as well as those three do in the international sports arena!

I am just keeping my fingers crossed that all this will change for the better in the run up to and aftermath of the 2012 Olympics and even more so if we manage to land the World Cup in 2018.Because if they can't do the trick,then I doubt anything will!

well it is refreshing very frankly to see some people from GB actually see what I can see in regards to sports and team support in GB from the homegrown business sector.

I dont think it speaks to the value of the sports franchises in britian because you would not have a malcolm glazier of rupert murdock fighting so hard for a

franchise if there was no profitability in it. Man U is a huge prize worldwide as its market value is on par with anything anywheres.

The ownership of chelsea and west ham in foreign control in the a world city like london has me wonder but I believe it is british captians of industry being

careful rather then tight with their money. Brits are know to be tight with money and perhaps the desire is to not take a risk on sports. I think government intervention in sports could also turn off a richard branson because of his need to cross market. Murdock I am sure wanted that ability as well and was rebuffed at the idea by the government. With America not having the regulation you have in europe it could be the reason you see more foreign ownership stepping up to buy a chelsea or west ham. An icelander or russian might not have a problem with the sport business climate where as a dyson or branson could say "god do I really want to have the house of lords in my business further then they are now? investing in a foreign country might be more profitable and not as trying as a sports team in GB". Branson for example invested in nigeria's national airline rebranding it under the virgin name.

jim jones

To borrow a word our esteemed Chancellor once liked to use, they're prudent.

Entertainment is a fickle character that has so many avenues and many that are free of charge.

transportation, food, real estate, communications , energy and information are the basics of economics and existance in the world

get into one of those in a entrepreneur way and have success and you cant help but become wealthly. Many billionaires have a couple of those

6 main tenants in their empires thru vertical intergration. A fortune can be blown fast

on ego and vanity over non essential like a sport team or entertainment enterprize that no has to buy to sustain life everyday.

One has to know absolutely what one is doing to survive and make a fortune with sports and entertainment. Those people at few and far

between.

jim jones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Now, I am confused. Didn't the coach of Real Madrid say that he didn't want Beckham "to ever come back again" to play for that team? If so, then what is going on here?

Link: CBC: Beckham Scores In Real Madrid Return

I always find stuff like this interesting. It is wasn't for the Scottish, Canada would use primarily American English, but in essence Canadians use Canadian English because ours is both different from English and American

ahem .. it was not the SCOTTISH that enforced the KINGS ENGLISH ..... it was the ENGLISH that beat that into everyone and although we are all BRITS it is really on the ENGLISH that are referred to that more the Scottish, Welsh and Irish....as they are all British Isles...it is truly an insult to be thrown in with the English...these two are English...there goes the neighbourhood...LOL

Speaking of the sub-title of this topic, it makes me wonder if Beckham should give his pointers to the Canadian soccer players more than the American ones, given the fact about Canada's pathetic FIFA men's ranking at this point.

TIME OUT FOR YOU G! LOL

for those of us that take soccer/football seriously we do not need him here ....NO THANKS....I rather we do badly than sink lower than that...

no Border Bouncing for Beckham

and the big bonus is by the time he is 36 he is probably a full US citizen with a huge fortune on top of what he has now.

He will probably get to be like wayne gretzky being part owner of a franchise of his choice if not total owner. If Becks doesnt like La after 5 years I am sure he

would have an opportunity at a club in arizona or another sunbelt location. It would certainly be a dream for any person from a northern country

like britian or canada. Then you add that his take home paid is more then europe because the taxes are much lower then britian or europe for that matter.

They are talking movie and tv roles as well and that pattern I am sure is not lost on beckham of a european athlete coming to south california and becoming very successful after a athletic career. Arnold Schwarzenegger comes to mind.

I cant see anyone yelling crass things at his wife either from the stand like they did in england. Soccer in America is a place she would actually be able to take her kids to the games and sit in the stands. Celebs do attend games court side and dont get hassled in LA.

jim jones

It is not the average game to treat anyone like that Jim..it is THEM that provokes such responses....as they say in England... she is a twit....

that will be one movie I wont see..wait make that two as I could not watch the Arnie S one either.....

Archived