David Beckham Leaves Madrid For La!

Mainad

:lol:

Beckham agrees to LA Galaxy move

Beckham will leave Real Madrid after four seasons

David Beckham will leave Real Madrid and join Major League Soccer side LA Galaxy at the end of the season.

The 31-year-old former England captain will sign a five-year deal, reportedly worth £128m.

Beckham said: "This week Real asked me to make a decision regarding their offer to extend my contract.

"After considering several options to stay in Madrid or join other major British and European teams, I have decided to join LA Galaxy."

In a statement, Beckham continued: "I would like to thank the supporters and people of Madrid who have made my family and I feel so welcome in my time here, making this an extremely difficult decision to make.

"I have enjoyed my time in Spain enormously and I am extremely grateful to the club for giving me the opportunity to play for such a great team and their amazing fans.

"I am proud to have played for two of the biggest clubs in football and I look forward to the new challenge of growing the world's most popular game in a country that is as passionate about its sport as my own.

"For the rest of this season I will continue to give 100% to my coach, team-mates and fans as I believe manager Fabio Capello will bring this club and its supporters the success they truly deserve."

Real Madrid confirmed Beckham's departure in a statement, saying: "Both parties have agreed that Beckham will not extend his current contract, which ends on 30 June 2007."

Beckham left Manchester United in July 2003 to sign for Real, who paid £25m for the midfielder's services.

However, in the three-and-a-half seasons since his arrival, the Spanish giants have failed to win any major trophies.

This season has proved particularly disappointing for Beckham, who was dropped by England coach Steve McClaren and then fell out of favour with Real boss Capello.

How the BBC Sport website broke the news in November

LA Galaxy admitted their interest in signing Beckham in November, when general manager Alexi Lalas told the BBC Sport website of his admiration for the former England captain.

In an exclusive interview, Lalas said: "The Los Angeles Galaxy are looked upon as the jewel of Major League Soccer.

"We play in the best stadium we have had incredible success over the history of the league, we have had great individual players and great teams. There's a tradition of excellence.

"All of this leads to this race to become the first MLS super club, if you will.

"It is something we aspire to and in order to do that you have to have quality players, a direction and a passion, a good coach and you have to get credibility domestically and internationally.

"Signing players of Beckham's stature would be a wonderful step in the right direction not just for the Galaxy but for soccer in America."

Beckham, who has already established a soccer school in LA, is the biggest name to sign up for Major League Soccer since its inception in 1996.

He will also be the most famous player to play club football in the US since Pele, Franz Beckenbauer and Johan Cruyff competed in the North American Soccer League in the 1970s and early '80s.

Landon Donovan, Galaxy's star player, said Beckham's arrival would be a huge boost to MLS.

"I think it's hard to quantify what David Beckham being here would mean," he said.

"Marketing-wise it's a dream come true and it's not a 35, 36-year-old washed-up guy.

"It's a guy who can still play and a guy who still has a lot of appeal, probably the most famous soccer player in the world."

Can't say I'm surprised that he's decided to end his career by following the money stateside!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/6248835.stm

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move for him I'd have thought. Instead of playing for a mid-table Prem team (which is I'm sure where he'll have ended up) he'll go to a top team in the US. That said I know very little about US football.

In fact, the only player I can name is Dwayne de Rosario and that's only because of this:

mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2005/open/partner/110505_smgoty_winner_derosario_384.wmv

Have to love the commentary as well as the goal...

"Holy Smokes! Dwayne de Rosario with a lighning bolt!

"Nothing fancy, drills it through the upper 90."

:huh::D

But good for Becks! This good be good for American football (and by the I mean American "soccer") and good for Beckham

He's coming for the money, he's coming for the money.

I guess Victoria has an hand in this.. probably they would to extend their markets.. nothing else! :rolleyes:

and to note that he's career is nearly finished..

But good for Becks! This good be good for American football (and by the I mean American "soccer") and good for Beckham

Well,it will certainly be good for his bank balance and,I daresay,a good opportunity for Posh to try and relaunch her singing/modelling career with a little help from their new pals Tom and Katie!! B)

A final massive payday for him. He must have accepted his England career is over.

I guess that was all too obvious from the moment Steve McClaren dropped him from the England squad! :(

Ha! Beckham knows what he's doing! The future of soccer is in the US!

And this will all lead to our hosting the World Cup in 2018; Beckham coaching the team by then -- and the US winning the Cup at home!! :P

Oh, how predictable.

I'm not joking. As soon as I clicked on the link to this thread I knew there was going to be a 2018 related post from you.

At least I've not been dissapointed. :P

Many player go to play for the USA.... FOR THEIR RETIREMENT! :lol: His career is over, he has 31 years old and he will pass 5 years in LA Galaxy, his last five years as professional player I think.

I think he's still got some good years left in him. He won't play for England again but he's by no means a spent force.

After that he can focus on his academies, rather than retiring from football full stop. Let's face it, he's never going to make it as a pundit on TV is he? :o

I was going to say it's spelt not spelled but I've done a wiki search and both are fine. Just a difference in verbs in British English and Amercian 'English'.

Can you tell I'm bored?

I was going to say it's spelt not spelled but I've done a wiki search and both are fine. Just a difference in verbs in British English and Amercian 'English'.

Can you tell I'm bored?

I always find stuff like this interesting. It is wasn't for the Scottish, Canada would use primarily American English, but in essence Canadians use Canadian English because ours is both different from English and American

Now there are rumors that Ronaldo is coming to the Big Apple:

After Beckham US Soccer Hires Brazil's Ronaldo PDF Print E-mail

Written by Émerson Luiz

Saturday, 13 January 2007

The US's modest soccer world is abuzz with rumors that the hiring of English player David Beckham for US$ 250 million by the Los Angeles Galaxy will be followed soon by the acquisition of a Beckham's team mate at the Real Madrid, Brazilian Ronaldo.

Ronaldo, who in recent past used to be called the Phenomenon, still has the title of all-time top scorer in World Cups.

Rafael Ramos Villagrana, a sports columnist for the Los Angeles Spanish-language daily La Opinión says that the New York soccer team Red Bulls will be signing up Ronaldo Nazário de Lima next week.

His contract, however, will be less than half that of Beckham, but still millionaire: US$ 119 million for five years. If confirmed this would be a relief for both the striker and Real Madrid, which has already made clear that it wants the player out.

For Ramos, the only thing that might delay the transfer of the Brazilian footballer from Spain to the United States would be the contract he signed with Nike, since the players from the US's MLS (Major League Soccer) wear Adidas.

The MLS has been preparing for some time now for the hiring of big international soccer stars. In November they introduced what is now known as Beckham rule, which says that clubs will pay the extra cost for players who receive more than the maximum salary of US$ 400,000 per season. Previously, the MLS leadership was responsible for the whole salaries of its member teams.

The Brazilian striker, who was laid-off by Real Madrid's coach Fabio Capello, is said to be also considering a US$ 26 million a year offer to play at the Saudi Arabia's Al-Ittihad, the same club where Portuguese star Luiz Figo should be presenting himself starting in August.

In the 80s, the New York Cosmos brought soccer legend Pelé out of retirement to play at the side of German great Franz Beckenbauer. The measure, however, wasn't enough to make soccer a popular sport in the US.

These are other times, however, say analysts. Today, thousands of children, many of them Latinos have soccer flowing in their blood and belong to thriving soccer teams in high school. All that football needs is a little kick from a Beckham and a Ronaldo. Unless both are taking the money and starting early retirement.

Edgar Davids is also planning on a move to Dallas.

That wouldn't bother me too much. Last season he was good and undoubtedly a great influence on the youngsters, but this season he's been less than effective in our midfield and said youngsters (Lennon, Huddlestone, Jenas etc.) are starting to look very promising.

I think people would think more of Beckham if he came out and said he got an offer he couldn't refuse rather than claiming he went for football reasons.

It gets worse.I read somewhere that he was persuaded to make the move to LA by his newfound friend,Tom Cruise! Apparently he spent several hours on the phone to Tom the night before he announced his decision.!!

What next? Can we expect to see him touring the world promoting the delights of Scientology?? :blink:

Can you tell I'm bored?

I think it's funny that Brits say "spelt" and "spilt" but not "kilt" for "killed."

And somehow I doubt that Brits are not "billed" for a service rendered but rather they're "billt?" :P

As I said, all the finished players go to the USA... They don't go there to play bot to win money in merchandising and so on...

Speaking of the sub-title of this topic, it makes me wonder if Beckham should give his pointers to the Canadian soccer players more than the American ones, given the fact about Canada's pathetic FIFA men's ranking at this point.

Archived