Aussie's In Olympic Games (hosts?)

Since Sydney had a fantastic time with it's olympic games.

Which next aussie city should host the olympic games?

-melbourne

cause it rich and melbourne is 2nd rich city after sydney.

-Brisbane

the next richest city yet not hosted a game.

-Perth

the city has a great history of sport and is capable of hosting an olympic game.

-Adelaide(sorry if it's spelt rong)

The city has yet hosted any(olympic a-like) games but has recently hosted an asian cup(soccer) game?

And is also capable.

Why not?

-Sydney

Because it has already hosted a game and its too (recent ) to host another game.

-Hobart

Because it's not capable to host a such big game.

-Darwin

It is also not capable to host a game and its "third world(that what people say) condition in it's state.

So which one ?

-melbourne

-Brisbane

-Perth

the city has a great history of sport and is capable of hosting an olympic game.

The city has yet hosted any(olympic a-like) games but has recently hosted an asian cup(soccer) game?

And is also capable.

Why not?

-Sydney

Because it has already hosted a game and its too (recent ) to host another game.

-Hobart

-Darwin

It is also not capable to host a game and its "third world(that what people say) condition in it's state.

So which one ?

Silverton is a likely as any you mentioned above the next 20-30 years.....also an Aussie-fan, but everything has a time and place.

Moose is right, Aussie*supporter, we're looking at another 40-50 years before we'll get the games back Down Under again, and when it happens, it'll b either Melbourne or Brisbane. The rest just aren't capable (perhaps Perth if it grows a lot bigger in th next four decades, but Adelaide is just laughable _ maybe they could do a Commonwealth Games at best).

yehs !!

I heard the australian committees(whatever you call it) is now turning to Adelaide to host a commonwealth game.

SInce the other big cities have hosted a commonwealth game.

Yes, well, we'll see. Since we've just had Melbourne 2006, I'd say we're looking 20 plus years before another Commonwealth Games as well.

-melbourne

-Brisbane

-Perth

And is also capable.

Why not?

-Sydney

-Hobart

-Darwin

So which one ?

Don't think money/ richness is that much of an issue.

Most major cities in western countries can find the finances to host an olympic games. Places like Seville (Spain's no.4 city), Lille (France), Leipzig (Germany) were able to put together bids for a summer games. Even countries like Azerbaijan are plannig a bid for the 2016 olympics.

I'd prefer Brisbane to Melbourne.

Well, if Brisbane does get the 2011 IAAF World Athletics Championships, that should raise some eyebrows from a few people in the know about whether Brisbane can handle the Olympic Games logistics in the future.

Yes, well, we'll see. Since we've just had Melbourne 2006, I'd say we're looking 20 plus years before another Commonwealth Games as well.

If you had to choose which Australian city should become the next Commonwealth Games host, which one would you choose? For me, at this time, it is either Adelaide (which is preparing for the 2007 World Police and Fire Games) or the capital city of Canberra.

I know it's not on the same level, but they have experience of multi-sports Games with the Commonwealths, so why not?

Depends on what you mean by "level."

If we're taling about status, then the world athletics championships are more prestigious than a commonwealth games. Certainly a gold medal at the world athletics championships is worth far more than commonwealth gold.

In terms of number of countries competing, the world championships are ahead. At Paris 2003, 203 countries competed compared to 71 nations at Melbourne 2006 and 72 nations at Manchester 2002 (not to mention that this number is boosted by the fact that Great Britain competes as something like 6 teams). At Helsinki 2005, 196 nations competed. Officials from Osaka are quoting 212 nations to be sending athletes there this summer.

Coverage of Paris 2003 was broadcast to 197 countries across the world.

However if we are talking about no of sports and number of athletes competing then the commonwealth games is ahead. Melbourne 2006 had ~4500 athletes, in contrast to only 1,907 athletes at Paris 2003. Also at Melbourne 2006 there were 16 sports compared to only athletics at the world championships.

http://hb.syl.com/worldathleticschampionshipsreview.html

www.iaaf.org/newsfiles/37077.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IAAF_World_Ch...ps_in_Athletics

www.pref.osaka.jp/koho/brand/01/en/dynamism/index.html

Sigh. This seems to be an on-going question on these boards.

For me, Melbourne works best, but it would be hard to say no to a fresh new candidate such as Brisbane. It really depends on the state of the Games come the voting period. Melbourne is by far the more stable and reliable option but it would almost be unfair not to put Brisbane forward as a candidate. Melbourne is no Olympic whore like Los Angeles.

Perth is predicted to break the 2million barrier sometime in the late 2020's. However, including some of the southern districts (no doubt cities of in their own right by 2030) Perth's population would probably sit around 2.5-2.7million come the next Australian bid process. It will be a contender, but not a victor. Strong sports tradition, but that can mean little.

In terms of the Commonwealths, lets no discount Brisbanes brother the Gold Coast! Despite it being a total slap in the face to other cities such as Adelaide and Canberra, i can really see the region hosting a Commonwealth Games. It will have some nice venues within the next decade, its rapidly growing and is warming to the eyes. No doubt a remake of Brisbane with a better stadium. Though like mentioned, wont occur until at least 2020.

This may be a bit of a stretch but here goes:

Summer Games

-Brisbane, Queensland (2040's)

-Melbourne, Victoria (2060's)

-Perth, Western Australia (2090's)

Commonwealth Games

-Gold Coast, Queensland (2026)

-Adelaide, South Australia (2040)

-Canberra, Australian Capital Territory (2062)

Well if you consider Sydney 2000 to be a Games of the last century, i think its fair to think Australia can host 3 games this century, after hosting 2 in the last.

For the UK i would think it'd be the same. After London you would expect England to host again before 2100, and no doubt another UK city (including Ireland, Dublin, Glasgow, Manchester, Cardiff) also by the turn of the next century.

I don't believe that Australia will host more that 2 games in this centuries, considering the size of the country and all the new frontier (China, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, Iran, Thailand, etc.) coming along.

Bangladesh heck no! (Well maybe a Commonwalth Games, but you already have India hosting so maybe in like 20-30 years time) Indonesia, slight possibility, should really host an Asian games again in order to prepare and prove itself Olympic Games worthy... Iran, well they do have the stadium, but the political relationship with other countries at this present moment isn't all too good (remember, the Asian games held in Tehran were before the revolution).

India? Well if they manage to host a successful Commonwealth Games, their neighbour Pakistan is not a possible choice at the moment.

As for Thailand, yes they be in the chance for an Olympics in say 20 or so years time...

I don't think the Irish would be too happy at being lumped in with the UK, though I understand where you're coming from.

Also....people talk about a Dublin olympics, a lot of people are in favour of this idea, it generally has a postive response on the forums.

However the reality is that this is a long way off, we're looking at maybe 2070 onwards for the city to be seriously considered.

At the moment, or even in the next 20-30 years a bid from Dublin would not be able to compete with bids from major European capitals such as Berlin, Paris, Rome and Madrid. Even places like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, Lisbon, Vienna, Istanbul, Zurich, Brussels, Amsterdam, Moscow would get preference ahead of Dublin.

Ireland/ Scotland bid for Euro 2008, however I would question whether Ireland has the transport/ infrastructure to transport thousands of fans, spectators and media persons from all over Europe to places like Cork, Limerick, Waterford etc.

As for Thailand, yes they be in the chance for an Olympics in say 20 or so years time...

I guess the FISU will partly determine that later this year.

Also....people talk about a Dublin olympics, a lot of people are in favour of this idea, it generally has a postive response on the forums.

However the reality is that this is a long way off, we're looking at maybe 2070 onwards for the city to be seriously considered.

The controversy over the so-called 'Bertie's Bowl' project proved the point.

At the moment, or even in the next 20-30 years a bid from Dublin would not be able to compete with bids from major European capitals such as Berlin, Paris, Rome and Madrid. Even places like Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, Lisbon, Vienna, Istanbul, Zurich, Brussels, Amsterdam, Moscow would get preference ahead of Dublin.

Ireland/ Scotland bid for Euro 2008, however I would question whether Ireland has the transport/ infrastructure to transport thousands of fans, spectators and media persons from all over Europe to places like Cork, Limerick, Waterford etc.

Well, it will be interesting on whether Dublin will be in that shortlist for the 2013 World Games. It seems that past or potential host cities of the Olympic Games want to try to go for these Games as well lately. That reminded me of a topic, in the Other International Games forum here, someone made about whether a hosting of the World Games would give that city a boost to host the Olympic Games.

Archived