China: Future Mega-Superpower Empire?

Guardian

Until I see the Chinese honor human rights, civil liberties, at least for their own citizens, I still will be vehemetly opposed to them being awarded the Olympic games and any further Olympic games int hat nation.

THis may sound hard, but I'm a believer in democracy and civil liberties. I do not want to tune into NBC seeing thousands of Chinese being killed when they protest in public during the Olympic games.

Pro-Democracy movements will be surging forward quite a bit during 2008 Olympics. I'm predicting the Chinese response will not be well.

Hell, if Taiwan was smart, they'd declare independence in the spirit of the Olympics.

It's not that I don't like the Chinese, I like their peoples. I don't like their policies that bully and destroy civil liberties for a third of the world's population

An China doesn't conquer? I'd point to their call for the wanton destruction of Taiwan (if independent) and their march into Tibet.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dear Ferny Reyes,

It’s so unbelievable that your depiction about China. I feel so STRANGE about China you mention I live. I don’t know why,haha~!really don’t know what should I say.

About Taiwan, I think I could expound my viewpoint. Because I am live in China mainland.

China is the largest population country. And China is also the biggest developing country in the world. China government is facing a big problem in the world. That is how to raise the level of so many people’s life. China mainland government has known that economic open is a good way for China. And during these 25 years, China’s fast development is the best proof that what China mainland government has done in these fields. But in faith, China mainland government still has some self-problems to handle.

Economic open is just the first step that China mainland government did. Now they are also aware of that the most important thing is politics open and politics innovation. And I think it will help China a lot. China mainland government will never give up China unity. And also they have done many works for Taiwan.

The Unity of China will not change Taiwan’s politics system and regime. That’s very important point I think. China mainland also will innovate some part of the government I think. And that’s also what people all over the world want to see. Maybe it will be useful, but no matter you believe it or not, I have to say that the regime of China mainland now in economic field is the undertaking of China’s fast development.

About the independence of Taiwan, I don’t think that is what all Chinese people want to see. In fact many people in Taiwan don’t want to change the condition now. Chinese is a nation that takes family ideas into account. We are still a family. We have the same blood. And many people in Taiwan have family members in the mainland. And also many people in China mainland have family members in Taiwan. In mainland there are many students from Taiwan.  Now the relationship between mainland and Taiwan is getting better and better closer and closer. The biggest Party in Taiwan -China National Party (Kuomintang) still has have a unity plan since 1990. People First Party and New Party also back up the unity Plan. The three parties have enough seats in legislation court (upwards of 50%). Now China mainland government has co-operated with the three Parties in Taiwan.

Co-operation is not enough. China mainland government is also going to change and innovate self. So that’s the best way for two sides.

And I think in future the two sides will have a great future.

But look at Chen Shui-Bian. What he has done sine 2000?

I don’t know how Pui, as a Chinese from Hong Kong SAR, think about these.

• 2 weeks later...

1. Olympic isn't a game for a certain ideology and believe. It's for all people and nation. Otherwise Yugoslavia shouldn't host 1984 winter Olympic, and Japan shouldn't host the 1964, 1972, 1998 Olympics (for the Japanese government still hasn't apologise for their war crime), US shouldn't host 2002 Salt Lake games (for their invasion of Iraq!) and so on. You can have all kind of reasons to oppose a nation to host the game. Don't put your own measurement to other nations and think that yours is THE universal value while others are just nonsense.

2. In public survery most people in Taiwan DON'T support independence, they just want to keep the current status. Voting for DPP doesn't mean people want independence, they just want a better government.

3. Dali Lama has already openly declared that he doesn't seek for independence, but a high autonomous inside China. Go figure when you are shouting for Tibet independence.

Afterall the most important thing is that: it is the POEPLE in China who want the Olympic, and in this point they share the same interest with the government. That's it. I can't see the point to oppose a Chinese Olympic if you are really "It's not that I don't like the Chinese, I like their peoples."

And for me as a Hongkonger I also against many policies of the Beijing government, and I do have action on it, say to support the Democracy movement. But yet I SUPPORT A BEIJING OLYMPIC.

• 3 weeks later...

Personally, the only way that I will view China as a legitimate superpower is if Communism is done with, and some form of democracy takes root. (I also hope that Communism dies in Cuba, North Korea, Laos, and Vietnam.) I hate Communism just as much as I hate George W. Bush and his ilk.

Until that happens, forgive me if I'm not ga-ga over China.

Yes of course it's very okay for one to like or dislike communism. The only thing I would like to stress it that being a very old civilization China is far more than communism which has just been inported less than 100 years. So don't be steorotyped by the face of communism. A lot of things in China is totally unrelated with communism (and in fact China is very un-communistic in many aspects), but people are just keep saying that "The Chinese do so coz they are communists" or "The Chinese do so despite they are communist".... comn on! It's just simply ignorant as if I said "The American love to eat McDonald's coz their government loves to invade Iraq" or "I wouldn't support an US Olympic until McDonaldism and Disneyism die".

• 2 weeks later...

I wish to add that I have to agree with Xu Wen Ting and Pui from HK on their replies to Ferny's comments.

The Western world in particular America should not think that their values are universal and that it applies to the whole world and that they are so very great.

They should know that different countries and regions have their different appropriate values and practices as well and the Western way of doing things does not hold well for every country in this world.

America and the western world are not saints themselves either, remember the Opium war and the bullying of China? Before you make judgements of others, judge yourselves first.

Archived