China: Future Mega-Superpower Empire?

Guardian

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Disneyland Hk is going to be great .. finally an alternative to the tedious Ocean Park.

tedious Ocean Park? when i was in HK, i thought that amusement park was great!......is it true that pandas died there?

I guess I've been there 2 much. School trips, summer holidays, birthdays, outings........not much has changed in the last couple of years....last time I went we could still have breakfast with the pandas.  :) The skyride gondola is beautiful though.. can't get sick of that.

Hong Kong Disneyland Under COnstruction. Some of my firends are working there. One of them told me a few weeks ago he saw the Disneyland railway has already on test.

db_0308_2004_ParkOverview1.jpg

Overview

db_0308_2004_Castle1.jpg

Castle

db_0308_2004_SpaceMountain1.jpg

Space Mountain

db_0308_2004_SpaceMountainRoof1.jpg

Space Mountain II

wow! it looks so awesome!

• 3 weeks later...
It is critical for China to become a world leader in human rights and individual freedom and liberty. Any superpower must set an example for the rest of the world, just like the United States of America has done, otherwise it will become dangerous and exploitative (just like the United States of America has done, although 1000Xworse!!!)

I agree, China needs to show strenth but also diplomacy, I realize Mr. Bush has not done so with the US, but if China wants to become a superpower, they will need to show their power, but also back off a little about threatening Taiwan and Hong Kong.

About an A.U., this would be nearly impossible, because unlike in Europe where there is less of a difference between the economies of France, U.K., Germany, Spain, Italy, etc. there are huge differences between Japan and Thailand or Korea and Bangladesh, not to mention the problems in the Middle East (Which can be considered a part of Asia)

China has no interest in becoming a superpower. True they want to be a powerful enough nation that can hold its own on the world stage, but in many regards they already have that, and always did in the past.

From the Ch'in and Han Dynasties, China has remained superior in the far east Orient and to this day they still are the dominant power. Military power especially, but one must understand how China views its military.

China's army and navy, and air force is actually defensive. Only when it is absolutely necessary and a threat to Chinese Sovereignty will the military be called into action ie: Taiwan and the Korean War.

If China wanted to become an ambitious military power they would have done so already and they would have acted outright in that interest in the United Nations but surprisngly if you examine China's behavior in the UN Security Council they surprisingy have been remarkably pacifist. Reluctant to take sides on any true issue they have abstained many times and reluctantly used Veto power.

Despite the glorification of military power and the massive military parades every year, China really doesn't have an interest in conquest as how the west sees it, it sees the future as economic and in that, China does have power.

The definition of a superpower is a nation state that has the military and economic influence to export and enforce its own interests to other nations directly. I believe that China doesn't have this mindset. Their interest is feeding their population, providing jobs and an economic input into their nation. Conquest and Imperialism are the last thing that the Politibureau thinks of.

You've made some interesting points. China sounds like a very stable and peaceful country and the defensive aspect you mentioned is certainly a strong point, unlikely to make them enemies elsewhere (if maintained).

But there is a fine line: you can be too passive and indifferent. The Americans in WW2 came in only at the last moment and then only after they were attacked at Pearl Harbour. Not a nice picture that they would have happily left the Jewish people and Europe to their doom if Pearl Harbour hadn't been attacked (that is, if without the Americans the Allies did not succeed-by no means a given as the Russians broke the back of the Germans in Stalingrad and made a commitment to advance on Germany and finish them off).

It is critical for China to become a world leader in human rights and individual freedom and liberty. Any superpower must set an example for the rest of the world, just like the United States of America has done, otherwise it will become dangerous and exploitative (just like the United States of America has done, although 1000Xworse!!!)

China - a world leader in human rights? LOL! Who says the US is the world leader in human right? They only think they are.. that's why they can dictate others what to do in the name of good human rights record in which they themselves do not possess.  :)

China has no interest in becoming a superpower. True they want to be a powerful enough nation that can hold its own on the world stage, but in many regards they already have that, and always did in the past.

From the Ch'in and Han Dynasties, China has remained superior in the far east Orient and to this day they still are the dominant power. Military power especially, but one must understand how China views its military.

China's army and navy, and air force is actually defensive. Only when it is absolutely necessary and a threat to Chinese Sovereignty will the military be called into action ie: Taiwan and the Korean War.

If China wanted to become an ambitious military power they would have done so already and they would have acted outright in that interest in the United Nations but surprisngly if you examine China's behavior in the UN Security Council they surprisingy have been remarkably pacifist. Reluctant to take sides on any true issue they have abstained many times and reluctantly used Veto power.

Despite the glorification of military power and the massive military parades every year, China really doesn't have an interest in conquest as how the west sees it, it sees the future as economic and in that, China does have power.

The definition of a superpower is a nation state that has the military and economic influence to export and enforce its own interests to other nations directly. I believe that China doesn't have this mindset. Their interest is feeding their population, providing jobs and an economic input into their nation. Conquest and Imperialism are the last thing that the Politibureau thinks of.

Your words are just what we Chinese think about ourselves. You're just the right man, unlike some others didn't know much about China but say much wrong about China.

Your points on China are always correct.

China has no interest in becoming a superpower.

Please, don't make me laugh.  That's the scary thing about it -- China becoming too dominant in Asia that no one will be able to stand up to her.  That's why Japan, India and the USA have to provide a counterbalance to China.

Please don't make us laugh, baron-pierreIV...

"Japan, India and the USA have to provide a counterbalance to China" is because they don't wish China to be a superpower, so they want to repress China's growing.

The fact is We has no interest in becoming a superpower. That's the truth. There is a sentence said by Deng Xiaoping : " China will never overlord among states, even when we becomes the superpower of the world, we should never do that."

So your words made me laugh really. And many other people who don't know the real China and the real thinkings of us, but always say many many rumors about us made us laugh a lot ...

lol...

Well the analysis here in France is that the major powers in 2050 will be

China

United States

India

Brazil

Russia

in this order. People are concerned that the relative decline of the US will make them more and more aggressive, particularly during the transition period around 2030 when China will take over the US.

Japan and Europe should steadily decline, and the main challenge for European politicians will be to manage the European decline in an orderly way.

China has the world's largest army.

China has the world's 3rd largest navy.

China has the world's largest air force.

China has the world's 4th largest nuclear arsenal.

China will soon posess the world's largest economy.

I would say, yes, this can be a threat. It only takes one bad decision to make a stable world, unstable. But China, if you look at their history, does not have a reputation for massive conquest and invasion. China itself is always focused on "China first" and that means feeding the people, creating jobs, modernizing the economy and industry. Now with the Olympics it also means that they have to look out at the international community. China is now very careful about how they do things with the press always around and a watchful eye, China is growing more used to the international attention. The Chinese Government will unlikely make any foolish moves to jeapordize the reputation of a newer progressive China.

• 1 month later...

Well the analysis here in France is that the major powers in 2050 will be

China

United States

India

Brazil

Russia

in this order. People are concerned that the relative decline of the US will make them more and more aggressive, particularly during the transition period around 2030 when China will take over the US.

Japan and Europe should steadily decline, and the main challenge for European politicians will be to manage the European decline in an orderly way.

Speaking of French and Chinese relations, BBC article about Chirac in Beijing:

Chirac Promotes China Trade Links

I knew the BBC would come up with the question, even though it is better-worded than the one I made for this very topic. Put your thoughts and comments into its empty spots on this page:

What Does China's Future Hold?

Archived